MG10MKII Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 08/20/2004 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG10MKII
Built like a tank with easy-to-use controls, the G10MKll houses a range of killer sounds from sweet and clean to dirty and distorted.
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
MG10MKII Reviewed by: numetaldude, on august 20, 2004

Purchased from: JB Music

Features: This practice amplifier is perfect for beginners, and even more perfect for those who are on a tight budget. For a little more than 3000 Philippine pesos (60 dollars), I got a great bargain on this baby. This 10-watt amp is intended for home practice, although when cranked to the max, this would also serve well in a small rehearsal studio. The MG10MK is easy to control, having only a channel switcher (normal and boost) and three easy-to-use knobs: gain, contour, and volume. It also has a headphone jack for silent practice. Unfortunately though, it does not have a footswitch jack, a line out, or an effects loop. Because there is no footswitch, I rarely use the boost channel, which is alright since I have a Boss DS-1 Distortion which makes a great match with this amp. // 4

Sound: I use a custom strat-style guitar with generic pickups. In between my amp and guitar, I always have a Boss DS-1 and a Lazer CB Wah Wah pedal. My music style involves a lot of power chords, soloes, a lot of clean parts, and heavy use of the wah. I feel this amp is able to accent my style completely. I especially like the amp's clean sound. My favorite setting for this amp is: normal channel, contour at 4, and gain at 4. As for variety, the MG10MK is not very flexible on its own. Generally, you can get one type of clean sound, and maybe 3 or 4 distorted sounds. However, when used with effect pedals, the amp can handle a wide variety of sounds. The amp's boost channel is pretty brutal when the gain is cranked all the way up. To get a heavy metal sound, you leave the contour at zero, which gives you a deep, thick sound. If you're going for a classic rock type sound, it's best to crank the contour way up for a crisp sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Considering it's a practice amp, I wouldn't think of using it on a gig. Although for a small crowd, this amp would serve nicely. I firmly belive nothing can go wrong with this amp (if handled well), except maybe if you get Kurt Cobain or Pete Townshend to use it (like I said, if handled well). I've owned the amp for nearly a year, and I haven't had a slight problem with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play art metal and this amp (together with the distortion and wah pedals) is a great match. I have been playing for 3 or 4 years now and I own a Stratocaster ripoff, a Boss DS-1 pedal, and a Lazer CB Wah Wah pedal. When I bought this amp, I knew it was for home use only, and considering it was one of the cheapest I could find, I went on ahead and bought it. I wasn't an experienced buyer then and I didn't think to compare the amp with others, but I honestly have no regrets at all. This amp has practically gotten me in love with Marshalls. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably get something bigger, although that would depend on the money I have on hand. Actually, I already am planning on buying a bigger combo amp, which will be more useful once we finally get our own rehearsal space. But the MG10MK is staying in my room. Like I said, it's perfect for home practice. What I love about it is that it's excellent for beginners, it's dirt cheap, and it's easy to carry around. What I hate is that once you progress as a player, it becomes pretty obsolete. Also, I don't like the fact that the amp has a very soft max volume. My favorite feature? The price definitely! // 6

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014