MG15CD Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/11/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG15CD
Armed with two channels, a three band EQ, FDD and 15W RMS of real Marshall power, the 1x8" MG15CD combo delivers superb tone - from pristine clean to out and out filth!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 6.6
 6.4
 5.7
reviews (17) pictures (3) 57 comments vote for this gear:
MG15CD Reviewed by: super666fender, on february 24, 2005

Purchased from: Long + McQuade

Features: Made in 2003, this is a real SS s--tbox. It's loud enought to hear over drums while jamming. Crap distortion. 2 channels, and high, mid and low knobsm control. I use this amp 'cause I'm saving up for a JCM2000 100W tube head paired with a Behringer BG412S 400W cab. I use a Behringer X Vamp Multi FX Processor with it, so it's not that bad now. // 4

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG custom (grover tuners and Gibson '54 reissue humbuckers) guitars great, but this amp really suks. Mnarshall claims that on clean after the volume is turned past 5 it goes into "crunch" mode. Bulls--t, thats just the solid state break up. The distortion completly sucks for metal, and is extremely noisey and has a shyiload of feedback too. Without a noise gate at high gain you'll blow your ears out. This is pretty loud for a 15 W SS thoguht. But sound quality sucks. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Amp sucks, but this thing is tought. I've dropped it a few times, and nothing has happened to it. "Would you use it on a gig without a back up?" For one, I would vever use a 15 W especially SS on a gig, two, never with this one. So no I wouldn't. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and heavy metal, some punk and hard rock. Worth the 150 cad with tax, but honestly, save a bit more cash and get a tube amp, these SS really suck. I dodn't compare this to anything before I bought it because it was my first amp. Not bad for a practice amp at home. Tube all the way! // 4

MG15CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2004

Features: The amp was made in 2003, it's perfect for practicing or playing with you jam buddies. I play alot of clean tone stuff, it fits that perfectly, a little noisy on disortion (that might just be my guitar) but other than that it's awesome. 2 channels, headphone jack, line out and a FDD switch witch make it louder. It's everything I want in an amp, I use all the features on it. I use this amp in my room. It's pretty loud I keep the volume on 3 and I can hear it all the way at the other end of my house. // 10

Sound: I use a Squier fat strat with it (S/S/H.) It fits my music style good, I mostly play clean tone and some classic rock. It's only noisy when on distortion (gain 10, vol.2-3) when I have the T.V. on, it messes up the amp's channel. This amp is extremly good for a 15watt amp--you can get 100,000 sounds from it if you know how to work it, it sound verry bright on clean tone, the distortion is avrage not Metalica distortion, sort of like AC/DC distortion. The clean tone is distorted when its on volume 10 on all setings but what amp isn't? // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp 100% and then some. It's too small to play live on a gig but if your just taking lessions or jaming with your buds, its verry verry good! No, its never broken down, I've had it for 9 months now and its as good as it was the day I got it! // 10

Overall Impression: For the price of this amp it kicks ass! I've been playing for a year now, no effects tho. No questions. If it where stolen I woldn't buy it again b/c I would get a Marshall 100watt amp, after I get that I'd get the MG15 again without thinking twice. For the price this amp is one of, if not, the best 15 watt out there! It has everything you would want in a practice amp. // 10

MG15CD Reviewed by: slashs_#1_fan, on february 22, 2005

Purchased from: Middlesbrough Music Centre

Features: This is a 15w RMS into 8 ohms Marshall practise amplifier. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. They both sound quite nice but it depends what guitar you have. You can get a warm clean sound very nicely, and a good blues rock and good hard rock sound (settings given in manual). This is perfect for practising in your bedroom, you wont get it past 3 on the overdrive channel without a knock on the door from the neighbours. The clean channel is quieter which can be annoying, but it doesnt matter as it is a practise amp. 5 out of 5 because of the easy to use features. A great amp for a beginner. Unfortunately you cannot get a footswitch which is also annoying. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with a Vintage V100 les paul copy with humbuckers. The neck pickup gives a very fat sound with this amp which can sometimes be annoying, but fiddle with the amps settings to reduce it, but then when you switch to bridge pickup, it becomes too "tinny" Probably my guitar. I play mainly Guns N' Roses and Rage Against The Machine. The overdrive produces a nice sound which I like to use on songs like "Nightrain" here, the fat sounding neck pickup produces a lovely thick sound for the solo which I like to use. It does not suit Rage at all I use a Zoom 707 for that. If you turn the gain on the amp all the way up, you get a good heavy sound. Think "Star Spangled Banner" by Hendrix. The clean sound is nice for practising songs like "Patience" I once had to do a battle of the bands with this amp at school, I was supposed to be borrowing an 80w Fender but the guy was ill. I was playing rhythm on "Sweet Child O' Mine" so I used a Zoom 505II FX pedal which managed to boost the sound over the drum kit! The clean sound was a bit bad because it too loud for the amp, but I got away with the overdrive. I'm surprised I didn't kill the thing, and I deffinately would just not enter next time (although I will have a Laney TF300 next time). All in all, perfect for bedroom use, a great sounding amp, but not much variation in the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My MG15CD is actually the second one I had becuase the first broke the day I got it. Apparently, it was due to bad soldering, but everyone tells me it commited suicide because I was playing through it. The second I got still serves me well today, I have had it for almost 2 years now and it still gives off a great sound. Treat it well and it will treat you well, dont kick it or drop it and it will survive. It looks to be built well but I don't dare put that to the test. When you switch it off, don't be put off by the big loud bang you get sometimes (that may just be mine but it is harmless). This amp should last you a long time if you don't set it on fire or kick it. // 10

Overall Impression: For a practise amp, I love it. I'm buying a Laney TF300 (or an MXD120, still haven't decided) but I would still keep this amp. It's great to practise with. The FDD button does something to it, I dunno what but it sounds nice. I usually just plug my guitar straight into the amp but sometimes I use my 707. This can make the amp go twice as loud, wouldn't recommend putting the amp on 10 mind, A - in your bedroom you will die, B - the neigbours will kill you, C - sound quality drastically goes down! If it were stolen, I would think about getting a bigger amp. I love its ease of use but I hate the fact it doesn't have a footswitch. I compared it to the MG15DFX but decided to get this as it was cheaper and the DFX effects are crap. If you want a good affordable practise amp, get one of these. They are 100x better than those crap Fender Frontman 15w amps. // 8

MG15CD Reviewed by: slash_pwns, on april 15, 2005

Features: I play mostly rock, with a touch of blues. I got this as my first amp about a year ago, it doesnt suit the styles well, because of its weak distortion. This amp has 2 channels (clean/od), the clean is alright, but the distortion is terrible. There is no footwsitch, alothough the amp has a handy little input for a CD player, and headphones. The amp is 15 solid state watts. // 6

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus with 2 Epiphone designed humbuckers with alinco magnets. Unfortunately, I have to run a distortion pedal, or a multieffect pedal all the time to get a reasonable sound. When the volume (clean) is turned up all the way, you do get good sound (distorted), but it isnt very house-friendly. This amp is very noisy in all environments, especially with the gain over 4-5. The distorion can get very distorted with hi gain, but otherwise it is terrible. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I've managed to damage it a lot, and it still works fine. Nothing is broken or wrong after a year. I haven't had to do a thing to it. Although, I wouldnt gig without a backup, because of its small wattage, it would be turned up. I've never had the volume on full for more than an hour at a time, so I don't know what would happen. // 8

Overall Impression: This doesn't match my style as much as I thought it would, but with my pedals, it works out OK. I've been playing for over a year, and I use an Epiphone LP Custom, I use a DigiTech Hot Rod for distortion, and a DigiTech RP80 for fun. I definately would have asked to try better guitars with this amp, because my guitar now is of a higher quality than the ones I used at store, and I would have asked to try some differnt brands! If this was stolen or lost, I would probably just get a better amp, probably a Marshall tube combo. I love the contour knob (kinda like the mid dial) becuase without it, my mids would be scooped! Thank god for that! I hate the sound of this amp, very dry. But I do wish it had, Reverb and Tubes! // 6

MG15CD Reviewed by: Metallica224, on november 03, 2006

Features: This amp is very versatile, my style of music varies from some acoustic sounding stuff such as R.E.M to some heavily distortion metal stuff such as Metallica. It suits them all well. It has 2 channels(clean and distortion) a headphone jack, and a CD input. The only feature I would ever wish it had would be a foot switch to switch channels, but I can buy that seperatly. I use this amp only for practicing which it is excelent for. I sometimes use it in my room and other times I use it in my local hall with my mates. It works very well in both areas and definetly has enough power. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Strat style set up with single coil pickups. It suits my music style very well which varys from some acoustic sounding stuff to some very heavily distorted stuff. I have no problem getting a god sound for either styles. The controls on the front allow me to get a sound very close to exactly what I want. It is very variable. The sound is very slightly distorted at high volumes but it is nothing major. The distortion is very brutal on high gain which is how I like it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I cannot comment on this very much as I have not had the amp very long but it looks solidly built and looks as though it will last. Also noticed that it come with a 3 year guarantee which is very reasuring and shows Marshall have confidence in it so I expect there shouldn't be any problems with it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I like this amp a lot. It is very versatile and therefore suits my music style well. If it were stolen then I would be very annoyed but would replace it with the same amp again. It is also excellent value for money. I used to have a Fender Frontman 15G but which was pretty crap but this amp is 100 times better ad for 20 less. // 10

MG15CD Reviewed by: cantshreddave, on march 30, 2005

Features: 2 channels, clean and overdrive. It was an input an output and a headphones, treb, cont, and bass EQ as well as gain control and two separate volume controls, one for each channel. Nothing special as you can see, but in my opinion amps with all these effects are a bit of a joke. Don't be deceived, it's 45 watts (says so on back). Don't ask why it's called the MG15, and it seems to small for 45 watts. I don't know much about amps anyway. // 6

Sound: I use a PRS Soapbar SE (P-90 pickups). It makes an alright sound for the size of the amp. The guitar is beautiful, so all weaknesses in my sound are due to the amp. The gain sound is alright, crank up the gain and volume and it's pretty good, and stick an FX pedal through and it's even better. But it's crap at low volume. The clean sucks, simple as, and creates feedback at high volume. Well I can't describe it, but it ain't good. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing has never, and doesn't look like it ever will fail me. It's been through a bit but doesn't show any signs of breaking. I don't use it at (proper) gigs because it's too small, but it's larger counterparts share its reliabilty. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this suits a bedroom rocker. I take this to school and band practice and it produces a good enough and loud enough sound for that. However I will soon get a larger amp for gigs. I think it's one of the best beginner/bedroom amps about, apart from its slightly more complex counterparts, the MG15CDR and the MG15DFX. // 6

MG15CD Reviewed by: Holy Katana, on may 05, 2005

Features: I just got this amp today. It's bigger than I imagined. It was made in 2005. This amp is very versatile. I play hard rock, mostly Led Zeppelin, and this amp is perfect. It's the best solid-state amp I've ever played. There are 2 channels, clean and overdrive. The channel switch is between the clean volume and the overdrive gain. There is a headphone jack, as well as CD input for you to jam along with your favorite bands. I wish it had reverb, but I could have paid $30. 00 more for that. // 6

Sound: I used my dad's Telecaster for this review, I don't have my guitar yet (it's on back-order). Of course, the guitar had single coil pickups. The amp suits my style, which, as I said before, is hard rock. This amp isn't noisy, unless you crank the gain up all the way. It can make a variety of tones, from a perfectly clean jazz tone, to a bluesy crunch, to distortion so extreme it sounds like white noise. I haven't cranked the clean channel yet, because I don't want to make the neighbors angry, but the official site claims that it distorts at high volumes. The distortion can go from very gentle distortion to death metal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig, but if I did, I wouldn't use it, because it's too quiet to be heard over drums. Since the amp is brand new, it's still in perfect condition. But it's very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I really liked this amp. Despite other people being really critical about it, I like it. I've been playing for 5 months, and I have an acoustic guitar, but I ordered this with an Epiphone SG and a bunch of other stuff, but the SG is on backorder. I'm borrowing a Telecaster from my dad until I get it. If it were stolen, I'd get the one with reverb instead. I love the Marshall looks, but I hate the fact that it's solid-state. If only they made tube amps this cheap. // 8

MG15CD Reviewed by: stoneCOLDsweat, on november 08, 2005

Purchased from: back2music, Galway

Features: This is a 15-watt solid-state practise amp. It has two channels (each with a separate volume control), a gain setting, and three equalisation controls. As well as the input jack, it has a CD in jack and a Headphones jack. I use it for playing guitar in my bedroom, or when I'm playing with friends. I use mainly the overdrive channel, and it certainly is loud enough. I never push the volume knob past 1! This is slightly annoying in that it's highly sensitive and difficult to choose an optimum setting. I have the gain setting at 8. The clean channel is more manageable, and the volume is less sensitive. I play it on about 2-3 when I'm at home. There's no built-in effects, also there's no footswitch so changeing channels has to be done by hand. I'd reccomend buying a distortion/effects pedal. I find it quite versatile for the style of music I play, which takes in a lot of sounds from high-disorsion metal to clean, jangly chords. // 8

Sound: I use it with an Aria STG-004. I do have a problem with pickups on some settings (i.e. high gain), especially the bridge pickup, I get interference and buzzing. This is only noticeable when I'm not actually playing, but it is noticable nonetheless. I think it's more of a problem with the guitar, though. It also has a lot to do with being very close to a computer screen. As I outlined in the above paragraph, the distorsion is extremely powerful and the clean channel has great potential too. The three EQ settings (bass, contour, treble) can be adjusted to give a great variety of sounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Overall, I get the impression that this is a very reliable amp. I've only had it for about 8 months, so I can't give a definitive judgement yet. I wouldn't gig with it because although it's loud, I think the interference from my guitar at that volume could be quite intrusive. As I've said before, though, that could be more of a guitar problem. If I was gigging with it, I would be confident in using it without a backup. It's never given me any trouble in the eight months I've had it, although I haven't been abusing it much! I'll wait and see, but I get the definite impression that this is a sturdy amp. // 8

Overall Impression: For me, this is a great amp because it was cheap, it's not too big (about 14x14x8"), it's versatile and it packs a punch. I definately plan on getting an effects unit soon, though. If it was stolen, I would probably save up my money and buy a 100 watt amp, because I'm going to have to do that eventually anyways. As I said, I wish it had a footswitch for the channel selection. Apart form that, I cant think of any glaring fault with it. I like this amp alot. // 8

MG15CD Reviewed by: BobFromReboot, on december 05, 2005

Features: This amp was made after the year 2000. It is a 15 watt solid state amp with 2 channels and a 8" speaker. The first channel is clean and stops being clean after about 5, which isn't even that loud. The second channels is the distortion channel. It isn't that loud at high volumes but what do you expect. There is no way to switch channels unless you push the button on the front of it which is a pain. // 5

Sound: My guitar is an Ibanez SZ 320MH with stock pickups, this amp doesn't do the guitar justice. It suits my music style sort of, which is Jazz on the clean channel, and a whole variety of heavy music on the dirty channel. It is really noisy on both channels and with all settings. The amp can do a clean sound and a distorted sound, just not very well. At high volumes the clean channel breaks up into a horrible fuzz. The distortion is a joke, at medium to high volumes, there is a wobbly caracteristic in the sound, almost like a very bad tremolo. // 3

Reliability & Durability: My brother bought this amp when he started getting into guitar and has since given up and passed it on to me. It's been about 3 years and it still works like the day he bought it (not to say it ever sounded good). I simply wouldn't gig with this amp, despite the fact that its never broken down on me, it just wouldn't be loud enough. // 6

Overall Impression: My style of music is jazz to death metal, this amp can do it fine, but its really nothing special at all. I've been playing for about 2 years and this is sadly the only amp I own. I wish my brother had bought a different amp than this one. If I lost this amp or got it stolen, I would laugh at the person who finds it and dance because my mom would need to buy me a new, better amp. What I love about this amp is that I can use it for practice, what I hate is the tone. My favourite feature is that its better than plugging it into the computer and playing with the computer speakers. I never got the chance to compare it to other products becuase my brother bought it, I wish he did more research. I wish this amp had good tone. // 3

MG15CD Reviewed by: jman007_93, on march 26, 2007

Features: It comes with built in distortion. It's not the best distorion, but it is pretty good sounding for the size of the amp. Use your own distiortion pedal though if you have one. It has Input, CD Line In And Emulated Line Out, and an Emulated Headphone jack. It is a great amp for any beginners, but I would definetely recommend upgrading to a bigger one after about a year of playing. It doesn't quite have enough power for me, and it is not big enough to use at a gig. You should start with this amp. // 8

Sound: I only play rock. It is good for most styles of music, especially rock because of it's built in distortion. It is good for the music that I play, but it's not loud enough. The clean channel always works good, even at the highest volume. The distortion is not that great, but it sounds pretty good for a beginner that would use it. You can change the EQ: Bass, Contour, and Treble, and the Clean: Volume, and the Overdrive: Gain, and Volume, and also the FDD using dials and buttons, and also a button to change from Clean to Distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a pretty durable and reliable amp. I have never had any problems with it. I would never use it in a gig though because of it's size, and because it's not very loud. It has never broken down, and like I said, I have never had any problems with it yet, and I have had it for over a year. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock. I've been playing for a little over a year. it's not a great match, because I need to get a bigger amp now. No, there is nothing I even really knew about this amp before I bought it. I would get a bigger, more powerful amp if something happened to this one. I like it's sound. It has pretty good sound for it's size. I use my DigiTech RP350 for this amp, and the two actually make a pretty good combination. // 9

MG15CD Reviewed by: Metalbush, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: Second Hand Shop

Features: Two channels, clean and distortion, simple enough except there is no footswitch so there's a small black button on the panel. I don't know when this amp was made, I know these amps were made pretty lately though. There are not many features except gain and contour control and a CD Input, which is handy for practising. I wish it had reverb I know there is one with it on but what you gonna do, I have a DigiTech effects pedal so I am not fussed. You can get various sounds out of it from the features (especially the contour control). // 4

Sound: I use a Jackson Warrior JS30WR witch I am very happy with. I usually play through the 100 watt combo version witch sounds much better than this in everyway. It's sounds tinny to me, a bit trebbally not enough base in there for some reason. Turning the contour anticlockwise helps and the middle control helps but it still sounds like somethings missing. // 5

Reliability & Durability: These are built pretty strong on the whole. The outer covering seems a bit weak, probably dints easy if dropped but I take pretty good care of it. Never packed up on me though and can rely on it through a jam or band practise. I've had it about a year and no problems yet but will be getting rid in the future. // 7

Overall Impression: Not the best amp on the planet but you can get some OK tones from it. As I say it sounds too fuzzy at times and tinny. It has not got Marshall tone in my opinion, if you want something like that get a bigger Marshall. Not many features either, but I would say it's OK for beginers or a spare practise amp but don't expect much from it. // 5

MG15CD Reviewed by: Kada2110, on november 21, 2007

Purchased from: MTZ

Features: It was made in 2007, Brand New. It is versatille because my guitar is versatille (Ibanez Jet King 2). It has a very nice clean channel and ok distortion. It has a headphone jack and a CD jack so you can play your mp3 trough it. I play classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal and sometimes even blues, and it can do it well. It's solid state, of course, and it's great for a beginner amp! Best buy! // 8

Sound: The sound is okay. Not anything special, just okay. I'm using it with my Ibanez Jet King 2 (H/H pickups, coil tapping) and the sound is okay. Clean is really nice, sounds like an acoustic guitar sometimes, and the distortion is ok. Of course, it buzzes, as all solid state amps do. On clean not (only a little bit on max, but you can't actually hear it), and on overdrive it buzzes. It buzzes, but not so much as I tought it would buzz. it's buzz isnt important because it's not loud. A silent buzz. The buzz gets very loud if you're in a room with a turned on TV or computer, but other than that, the buzz is silent. Enough about the buzz, it is versatille, I used it with my electro-acoustic guitar Ibanez PF60SECE, and it sounded also good! My friend comes over a lot to play blues, and it sounds good, I play rock and metal, and it sounds good. It's just an ok sounding amp for the price, and it can serve you well for about 3 years. Then buy a valve amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it on a gig, but I would use it for practice or for a little gig at a small bar. It hasn't broke down, and I believe it wont, because I'm using it only in my room. It looks reliable, like it could work for about 5 years. Don't think this is a bad amp! It's a good amp for it's price! the sound is good when FDD is turned off, and great when it's turned on! // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, it's a good match, since I'm a beginner. I have been playing for about 3 months. I own a Ibanez Jet King 2 and an electro-acoustic Ibanez PF60SECE. It's also important that you use a good cable. I'm using a 6m Series 96 Ibanez Professional Grade cable and the buzz is minimal. If it were stolen or lost I would maybe buy it again. Or a louder amp. Or I would save up and buy a 100W valve amp. I love the FDD, hate nothing, it has served me well, and it's perfect for practice, and even for small bar-gigs. I compared it to a Yamaha 10W amp, a Fender Frontman 15W amp and to 100W valve amps. Of course, it's nothing compared with valve amps, but it's totally better than any other 15W solid state amp for that price! // 8

MG15CD Reviewed by: dark templar, on february 09, 2009

Purchased from: JB Music

Features: I had this amp since 2006 and I still haven't bought another one. Not that it's that good, but beause I have made peace with this amp and even named it EVOLET. For an amp under 100 dollars, this ain't a great buy, but like I said, I found a way to keep it. There are so many bad things about this amp, many! The clean channel has good headroom, but I wish it was true that it goes into crunch mode pass 6 o'clock. What you get is a solid state clipping sound. The Overdrive channel, well it has potential but that's all. Beyond 6 o'clock, feedbac and hum will take over your sound you would have no choice but to play metal. Works fine for me though. The tone controls are effective. But the bass can be overwhelming sometimes for a little bastard like this one. So I opened up the amp and tinkered with the electronics and found out that changing the bass pot will actually tighten up the low end. The factory pot is 20k, using a lower pot value will decrease the low end sweep but will give you a tight sound. The mids and high are fitted with 5k pots. I did not change the highs, it's enough for me. The mids/contour control is very good, increase the pot value and the you'll get a wide sweep, giving more character and depth. But when I got my Zoom G2.1u I reverted back and installed the original pots. The great thing about the amp is the FDD. The bad thing about FDD is noise. The good thing about noise is that you can suppress it. Don't underestimate the CD IN. It accepts stereo inputs and can even be a LINE OUT for connecting to another audio system. I use the right output of the Zoom G2.1u (it has stereo output) to connect CD IN thus the amp works just like a simple power amp and cab. Then I connect the other output to the guitar in and abracadabra, a blend of two different sounds at my disposal. When you use the CD IN as LINE OUT, the amp becomes a "pre-amp" that you can connect to another amp with higher power or to a mixing console or to your computer's LINE IN. Believe me, all these worked! The bad things? No footswitch. The lows tend to be overwhelming. The FDD Switch should be footswitchable and needs a noise gate. The sound is well, solid but dry. The power is overbearing for a room but weak for a semi-closed garage. // 5

Sound: Well, what can you expect from an amp of this caliber. Right? None. But like I said, I made peace with evolet and I would not trade her for another. I would get another amp but I will pay this one until I can't fix it. That's the good thing about EVOLET, I can open it up and mess with the circuitry without the guilt. Adding mods inside the amp like changing the clipping diodes or removing them will give more options. I found a way to make it sound fit for what I want it for. But then again, the sound quality is nothing to be marshally proud of. Some mods I have on it: a 1x8 30watt hi-fi speaker, added 2 more clipping diodes on the OD channel, tried using 1megaohm pots for the contour and a 5k pot for the bass, will find a way to make an outboard Switch for the FDD, and will find a way to put a noise gate circuit between the preamp and poweramp stages. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Name it: dropped from 5 feet, kicked by drunk (it was me), almost set on fire, screwed by tons of screws (the real screws), soldered, short circuited, dumped super glue on the circuit board, flooded half way up then I dried it under the sun and used compressed air set to 70psi to blow it dry... I was even so stupid I tried slashing a 15inch bladed weapon thru it's backside... and still the amp served me right. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall: Don't buy this amp for the sound it came with from the factory, but buy this amp for the worth of having it, a descent unit for personal use. The greatest thing (for me only maybe) is that I can torture this amp to it's limits without the guilt and still it will surrender to all my will. I will get the 100watt MG head and get a good celestion-equipped cab maybe a cab with 4x10... or I will just make my own. I don't like tube amps! It's just not my thing. // 7

MG15CD Reviewed by: cjlane, on june 24, 2009

Price paid: A$ 180

Purchased from: Intermusic

Features: This amplifier was made in 2008. I play rock genres such as grunge, classic and modern and the amplifier is versatile enough to achieve those sounds; though it doesn't spectacularly achieve those sounds, it produces enough tonal quality to be satisfied with it for bedroom practice. The amplifier features two channels: clean and overdrive, which are switchable. The amplifier lacks effects loop capabilities but does boast a headphone jack. I wish the amplifier featured separate equalisation for each channel to achieve the best of both worlds in clean and overdriven sounds, yet I have to compromise one to achieve the other. I use all the features built-in to this amplifier though the FDD (frequency dependant damping) Switch isn't even necessary as the tonal quality of the amplifier improves significantly with it pushed in. I use this amplifier strictly for bedroom practice and 15 solid-state watts is more than enough for my needs. A notable feature this amplifier includes is a nifty feature known as the FDD Switch which I mention earlier. This Switch is described by Marshall themselves as a proprietary FDD circuit which accurately mimics the way an all-valve amplifier interacts with the loudspeaker and adds a width and depth to your sound. Now, I don't think this amplifier pulls off any sound remnant to an all-valve amplifier at all, but I agree that it does add a depth to your sound which isn't achievable on most solid-state technology. // 7

Sound: I use an Ibanez GRG170DX boasting an H-S-H pickup configuration. The amplifier does fit my style which is rock as mentioned earlier, though the sound definately could improve. The amplifier isn't too noisy normally but with the gain boosted this amplifier gets really airy and has that annoying 'hiss' sound that nobody likes when the amplifier is set with high gain. The amplifier can get do a vast variety of sounds from warm clean tones to bright clean tones to overdriven tones to heavily distorted sounds. None of the sounds are amazing but it can do them. The clean channel is pretty distorted at high volume on all the settings really, though a 15 watt practice combo doesn't need to be pushed to that level in most cases. The distortion gets pretty brutal as the gain knob goes past 12 o'clock though as the distortion gets more brutal it gets less defined and more noisy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't have too much of an opinion on this, as being used for practice only it doesn't get knocked around nearly as much as a touring amplifier, though the construction feels solid and is going to survive in a bedroom, that's the last of anyone's worries. The amplifier has never broken down though the headphone input isn't working at the moment as a 1/4" jack is stuck inside it, which will need to be serviced. I would blame more of that problem on the cheap 1/4" jack. // 8

Overall Impression: As I have mentioned twice already I play rock mostly and the amplifier is a good match for that and gets the job done. I have been playing for 6 months pushing 7 now and I own an Ibanez guitar and some bass guitar gear. I wish that I had asked for the other amplifiers available at this price instead of choosing the first one recommended to me by the store clerk or even asking for some advice here on Ultimate-Guitar. If this amplifier was stolen or lost, I would not buy this again, as it is a very ordinary amplifier with a very ordinary sound and nothing more and nothing less. I would get something else. I love the FDD Switch and it is my favourite feature, simply because the tone improves significantly when in use. I hate that this amplifier is so simple, it doesn't come with a foot Switch jack or anything, it's a very basic, no-frills amplifier. At the time I did not compare this to other similarly-priced solid-state practice amplifiers and I regret every bit of it. // 6

MG15CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2010

Features: I think this amp was made around 2005, but I am not sure. I am using it as indended, as a practice amp at home. I play a variety of styles, from acoustic fingerpicking, some bluesy riffs and chord variations and some classic heavy (think AC/D and Deep Purple). 2 channels (Clean and Distortion), switch at front (no pedal), no FX except the FDD tube emulation switch. Has a headphone jack (emulated) and a line in/out which I haven't used so far. I actually think 15W isn't quite enough (more on that on sound). For the price and intended use I think it is a reasonable set of features. I use it with effect boxes anyway. // 7

Sound: I use a Vintage Ibanez PF230, which is built much like a classic Gibson, except it has 3 pickups instead of 2 for a really full sound. For my use, I think the distortion channel works OK. With FDD circuitry it plays nicely for classic heavy riffs. My main concern is the Clean channel. I find it starts to distort even at low volumes on the lower tones (especially the deep E-string). I think this is a limitation in the power amp, since it sounds much cleaner through my headphones. Turn up the volume, and it is easy to get a noticeable background buzz noise, even if it is only bothersome at high volumes on the Clean channel. For me, the distortion is OK, but not very brutal. I actually prefer the Gain on a low settings, as I think the high settings masks the tone in buzz and noise. I prefer to do distortion with effect boxes anyway. What I really like is the full-bodied sound you get with the FDD circuitry. I have this on almost all the time, regardless of chosen channel. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems very solid. The power is too low for gig use, especially on acoustic use on the clean channel. The crunch comes in too early for this use. It also seems to be somewhat affected by outside noise fields, and must be placed away from noise sources. Haven't owned it long, but the previous owner states that it has never broken down. // 8

Overall Impression: For acoustic use it is a little disappointing. I would really have liked that the Clean channel stayed clean all the way. To me, it sounds like the distortion starts at 11 o'clock, which is too early. Other than that, I actually like it a lot. The FDD is to me the highlight of the amp, and it makes all the difference to me. I have played the guitar as a hobbyist for many years, and my gear experience is limited. But as a Hifi enthusiast I think I am rather picky when it comes to sound, and for my home projects, it suits me fine. I mainly bought this because I am on a budget. Apart from a cleaner Clean-channel, it has all that I need in a no nonsense, home use amp. // 7

MG15CD Reviewed by: idontgiveafuk, on january 20, 2011

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: I play a variety of styles and guitars I gig regularly in cover and metal band it's a basic two channel solid state Marshall at the time of buying I just wanted something portable as I also teach guitar and figured Marshall would b a good bet but looking back on things there are a lot better amps for the job it has 2 channels clean and distorted 3 eq controls (bass, mid, treble) and an fdd Switch which helps the sound marginally at best the only saving grace features wise of this amp that makes it decent for practice is an input for cd/mp3 which is handy for jamming to backing tracks it is a reasonably loud amp for 15 watts but you'll need more wattage for anything other than practice. // 3

Sound: The sound is hopeless I use a high end EMG equipped Jackson king v for metal gigging and an ESP LTD M-50 as a backup and for for practice (cheap but totally excellent guitar I highly recommend it to anyone!) mostly the sound is thin and cheap sounding the distortion flat out sucks balls! And the clean channel is harsh sounding u can dabble a bit with it to get a workable (aka less annoying) sound for practice but generally the sound is low quality and there's a noticeable hum from this amp when idle especially with the gain channel, if u put some decent pedals in front of it it can sound ok but if the idea is a no fuss portable practice amp you hardly wanna be carrying a bunch of pedals around with it just to get a decent sound, fact is it's a low end amp it's not really d worst sound ever it's tolerable but with great practice amps like the Micro Cube and the Line 6 spider 15 costing roughly the same amount with far superior sound built in fx and tons of more features Marshall really have to do better than this. // 2

Reliability & Durability: the only redeeming feature of this amp is that its solidly built and will defiantly last a long time (unless you purposely smashed it cos it sounds like total crap but then your just being stupid) which makes it reliable tho it's only a 15 watt it'd just be used for practice you couldn't really do a proper gig with it it doesn't have the power so it would be unlikely to see much abuse tho it could undoubtably take a fair beating but though it'll probably last forever u'll almost never use it due to the sound unless ur just starting out or can't afford a better amp or just play guitar as a light hobby. // 8

Overall Impression: Basic dull boring run of the mill piece of crap practice amp, but then again it does the job not everyones a millionaire u gotta start somewhere and it'll last! nd with decent teqnuqie anything can sound good tho as soon as you've better funds or interest you will be looking for something better. // 2

MG15CD Reviewed by: stig354, on april 11, 2011

Features: I believe my amp was made in 2006. It has 3 channels if the manual is to be believed, however this isnt entirly accurate. Let me explain - it is supposed to go into crunch mode on clean channel after the volume goes past a certain point. I'v maxed the volume on it several times in a desperate bid to get some magic from it but my attempts always end fruitless (if anyone has a working crunch channel I'd love to hear it). The OD channel. This was my first real amp and when I started I was playing all the beginner rock songs (Smoke On The Water, Sweet Child O' Mine, some VH etc) and it was pretty good for that. As my playing progressed so did my choice in music. I wanted to just get heavier and heavier. For this the OD channel was severly lacking. It wont take you much past maiden. This is when I got a Boss metal zone and now the heavier songs are more then achievable. FDD - basically push this and the amp goes from sounding like cr@p into sounding like something not half bad. I REALLY REALLY like this button and always leave it on and is a great feature. (Marshall should just put it in and leave it on). Has a emulated CD line out. Nice feature, personally dont use it but I'm sure someone is glad its there. For home use the power is enough, playing some venues i guess it could manage as I know it can go loud when pushed. If I could ask for more from this amp I'd say I wish it had a ton of gain. For home use 7/10; gig 3/10. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez S470 with miracle man BKP in bridge posistion and ALWAYS use MT2 metal zone with this amp. I play metal and most of its sub-genres however this is only achievable with the pedal. It can do this style well but no doubt there are amps in a similar price range that can do better. Settings are personal preference and will vary between different people so it doesnt matter to much - however there are some settings that no matter what will not yield a usable tone. The clean channel is ok however I dont use it unless im tuning my guitar so I guess this makes my opinion void, though as I mentioned earlier it does NOT go into "crunch mode" after a certain volume it just breaks up, fizzes then mine goes back to clean with fuzz and hiss. This hiss is terrible and IMO not workable at all without a noise gate on clean. On distorded there is marginal hiss that you can live with but it's still by no means hum-free. Distortion is ok but if you want teh br00talz, sorry guys n gals youll need a pedal XD // 5

Reliability & Durability: Well I'v had this amp 4 years now and it's survived well. I'v kicked it, dropped it, weight lifted with it spilt beer in it and is always being used as a foot rest. It still sounds like it did when I got it (perhaps because it can't sound any worse?) The bass knob stayed on but the gold plate with the marker fell off 3 years ago and I could never get it to fit back on no matter what, untill about a month ago when it just slotted back on? How odd. Also mine always makes this STUPID FU@#ING NOISE every time I turn it off. Sounds like it's blowing up? However it has always done this and never ever died on me... I still wouldnt gig with it though. // 8

Overall Impression: If you get this as your first amp you'll love it. If you never want to play outside your house you'll love it. If your into driving your amps with pedals you'll love it. If you dig a bit of hum for old time sake you'll love it. If you need an amp for little johnny or something to mess with... you'll love it. If you want a good amp.... walk past this one. // 4

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014