MG15FX Review

reviews (6) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
MG15FX Reviewed by: Fungiacane, on may 07, 2009

Price paid: € 169

Purchased from: http://www.musicstore.de

Features: Hi all, this is my very first review for a very new Amplifier. This new MG4 model by Marshall has been released in late 2008 in the USA and early 2009 across Europe. It is a 15 Watts amp with a 1x8" Speaker. It has 4 storable channels (clean, cruch, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2), 5 digital effects ( independent reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser), MP3/Line in, Emulated Headphones and it is compatible with a completely programmable footswitch controller (PEDL 90008) not included. I own this amp since 2 months and I can say it's perfect for home. // 9

Sound: As you surely know this is a sulide state amp but on the box you can read a message: "Pure analog Marshall sound" and it's TRUE. Also if you set the volume near 0 you can hear a great saturation with the overdriven channels and a pure clean sound with the clean channel. I use it for rock rhythms and leads and I can say it has a great sound. When you Switch it on for the first time you can hear the 4 pre-stored sounds, one for each channel, but you can store every sound you want. On every channel you can add 2 different digital effects: Reverb and one of the other four effects, reverb, in fact, is indipendent, chorus, flanger, phaser and deley can be choosed one by one. The clean channel is very smooth, soft and easy and if you add some reverb and phaser you can have a completely surrounding sound. The cruch channel is for classic rock. Have you ever heard AC/DC? That's it. I use a Ibanez RG550 an it screams like a Gibson SG. The 2 Overdrive channels are striking. The Overdrive 2 is more aggressive than 1 and it is made for Metal sounds. I use the Overdrive 1 channel to play Iron Maiden songs with a Fender Stratocaster 2009 American Standard and it seems to be on a stage. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it everyday for home use but I used it with some friends at very high gain and it never fails. It is so new I cannot say it's durability but it comes out of the fabric with a 3 years warranty. So if you will have some problems you can contact your local store or Marshall directly. // 10

Overall Impression: I can really say it is perfect for clean and Rock sounds. I use it everyday. My neighours are so happy to hear this pure Marshall sound. If you have the strange idea to buy a Marshall amp, as I had, for home use I can really say buy this one or one or it's family. The 50 Watts for example. // 10

MG15FX Reviewed by: BumGravy, on december 03, 2012

Purchased from: Soundslive

Features: Not going to list the features here, the other reviews probably already have. I think the effects are good quality. And the clean sound is nice. OD is weaker but still good for a practice amp. I use neck/middle positions all the time. I fiddle with my knobs for more tones, and this amp is good for practice, jamming, writing songs. I used it for a few gigs with my band as well. Playing to about 20 people. The amp did really well but I think I'll be buying a tube amp next, and keep this as a practice amp. I'll give it a 7, because it's not very loud, needs a bigger speaker and the clean channel goes a little muddy when you turn it up past 6. You can clean it up with the volume knob though. // 7

Sound: I play a Epiphone ES-335 Dot, and a Yamaha Pacifica 112. I use neck/middle positions. The Yamaha's bridge is sh-te, the Epiphone has a useable bridge, but I prefer neck/middle. I play Indie rock/Reggae/Blues/Alternative. I am influenced by bands such as My Bloody Valentine, Yo La Tengo, Bedouin Soundclash, Smiths, Belle And Sebastian and Smashing Pumpkins. The amp is pretty quiet unless your using a lot of pedals. The clean is slighty muffled at high volumes, just roll back the guitars volume knob though. The effects are quite cool. Put the effects knob at slightly after 12 o clock for an incredible phase/flange sound. Didn't like the chorus. Reverb and delay are really good. The overdrive is OK. Not the quality you'd expect from Marshall though. If I wanted a good Marshall distortion, I'd look at the DSL series. Or better still. A Fender amp with a pedal of choice. The MG's overdrive settings aren't bad, don't get me wrong, good for jamming and practice, but you can do better with tube amps. Or an amp which takes pedals well, like a fender. I'll give it a 7 due to the average OD and noisy with pedals. Good effects and clean sound though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I usually gig with a backup. Just incase, ya know? The amp has never broke in the 1 year I've had it. Apart from about 3 days last week it stopped working. The sound was flickering on and off. Could've been my Yamaha though. (My other guitar was getting repaired). But it's fine now and working. No problems. I'll give it a 9 because it's only stopped working once and it was just a few days. It's been fine a week since. // 9

Overall Impression: I'd recommend this to anyone needing a cheap practice amp with a decent array of sounds. Not for metal though. The overdrive would suit maybe... A Clash cover band or something... 77 punk and sh-t... If it were lost or stolen I would just carry on saving for ma Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. Might get one of they headphone amps too. Vox make them, they look pretty cool. I have played ma dad's Vox VT40+ for just 60 more than this, and it is much better. Or a Harley Benton HB80R. That one has a really fuzzy distortion sort of like The Jesus And Mary Chain. In other words, there are better amps for the price. For home practice, you can spend a lot less, it doesn't need to sound amazing. For jamming and small gigs, you can get much better value for the same price and up.

// 6

MG15FX Reviewed by: atomicpunk21, on july 26, 2011

Features: This amp my look small, but this digital amp is packed with features. Very versitile with four storable channels, Crunch, Clean, OD1, OD2. Digital effects, Chorus, Phaser, Flager, Delay, and Reverb the only down side to the effects is that unlike it's bigger brothers (MG50FX, MG100FX) Delay can not be combined with Chorus, Flanger, and Phaser. It an not have Built in Tuner (can only be used with the MG series Footcontroller). MP3 Line in and Headphone Jack. The MG15FX has enough power for it's worth. It makes a great practice amp. If you get this amp make sure to get the MG Footcontroller with it to use it to it's full potential. // 8

Sound: My style is Metal and Punk, and this amp was made for me, it makes a great gig amp, it can get loud enough to rock a gig at a club, a small ampitheater, and Drive your neighboor nuts, but if you are looking for an improved version of this amp with more volume buy the 100FX Head. It's channels are Crunch: better than I expected, for blues fans, classic AC/DC sound Clean: Beautiful bright clean sound, sounds great with the chorus effect on, does NOT get distorted when the volume goes all the way up Overdrive 1: For music that does not use heavy distortion, gives a nice dirty sound, perfect for any kind of music, and my favorite, Overdrive 2: Metal, Punk, anything that needs heavy distortion this is the perfect setting, nice harmonics, palm mutes, divebombs, any guitar technique metal sounds amazing on this setting. This is one of the most versatile amps I have ever used for this price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is definatley an amp to dedend on at a gig, I've banged it against wall accidently while walking, dropped it and only a little piece of the material on the amp has come off. IT has never broken down, the only flaw to it physically is the nut on the input can get loose and fall off, I fixed that by getting a stronger nut the same size and out it on my amp. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good amp for someone looking for an amazing cheap deal. I've been playing for three years and this amp is the best ever, only think it lacks is volume and combining Delay with other effects. If it got damaged or stolen I would get this or one ofthe other amps in the MG series. I first demoed this along with a Line 6 Spider Valve 40W and I chose this amp, the Spider has more effects and features but this amp sounded better and delivered the sound that the Spider could not. // 9

MG15FX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2010

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Its a new (solid state) amp from Marshall made it 2008 I think, its very versatile, has a few effects which aren't too bad like reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser and delay. I mainly play rock and metal, its an awesome amp for getting tones such as AC/DC. But for metal such as Metallica and Black Sabbath I haven't found a sound (yet) that would work for truly heavy metal. But I guess that's what pedals like the Boss Metalcore are for eh? I got an MG-4 programmable footswitch with it that can store up to four different sounds, it also has a built in tuner which it really useful if you wanted to change from standard tuning into drop C. If this amp had a good metal sound it would be even more badass. // 9

Sound: I use a Les Paul with the amp and it does sound cool, like I said it gives a great AC/DC tone and an OK metal sound (the palm muting doesn't sound so great). For a 15 watt amp it can be loud when you want it to be and it is great for home use as a practice amp. It has four channels, Clean, Crunch, OD1 and OD2. These setting are prestored into the amp/footswitch already, naturally I changed the settings into some sounds that I wanted. When clean it gives a seriously awesome sound (I put a bit of chorus on to enhance the sound) like the part on Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven when Page's Les Paul starts to be played:D. The crunch channel is a very subtle distortion which I don't really bother with, the OD1 chanel it a bit heavier than the crunch channel and OD2 is a lot heavier but not great for heavy metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it that long but it seems like a reliable amp, I wouldn't take it to a gig purely because it's a 15 watt practice amp and if I was gigging I'd save up for a Marshall JCM900 with two cabs:D. If I hooked it up to a cab then I probabaly wouldn't need a backup amplifier, and since it's a solid state amp (Marshall do say that they're doing a valve version) it won't break down easily // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said a billion times, its cool for playing old rock like AC/DC, you can get a metal sound out of the amp but its not serioulsy awesome, the clean channel actually is awesome and I guess its a good match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for about a year now and have an old Squier/Fender Strat, Dunlop Wah, Danelectro metal pedal(which I might use again for hardcore metal sounds), Squier SP-10 (the reason WHY I got a marshall). I would buy another one if it was stolen because I don't think there is a practice amp better than this, even other 15 watt Marshall amplifiers. I just wish it had a badass metal sound:P // 10

MG15FX Reviewed by: Metalmillita, on january 24, 2012

Purchased from: http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_mg15rnew.htm

Features: Made in 2008 I think. This amp is versatile enough for my heavier stuff, however the clean channel just doesn't seem to hack it. It has a clean and a distortion channel with a switch on the amp, but no foot switch what can be annoying when you're playing a song that requires both. For a 15 watt solid state amp it packs a punch it drowns out bigger more powerful amps. The guitar has an mp3 jack slot so you can Jam along to tracks. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Kerry King Warlock through it, and it sounds brutal, the combination really works well together, the amp can play blues all the way to death metal perfectly. Its loud that's all I can say, but it loses none of its quality in the mean time, I play it in my bedroom and all my friends love the sound of it. The distortion is amazing, how ever the clean sounds poor, its too bassie even when the bass is turned down low, however you can get a nice clean sound from the distortion setting if you play around with the settings. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, it is too small to gig with but I would be more than happy to record a demo with it. The amp hasn't broken down and I've used it for 2 years and its been so good. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and it covers the job 100% fine, no faults on it, I've been playing for about 4 years and I have a Micro Marshall and I've played on Peaveys and Line 6's of similar sizes and it beats them all. I wish I has a foot switch, just so I could change modes easier, also I haven't tried a wah pealed through it. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy it again, I'd get a bigger size so I could gig of it, the amp is that good I'd use it for the rest of my life. You must buy this amp I can't recommend it highly. // 9

MG15FX Reviewed by: RyanH 97, on may 25, 2012

Features: This amp has 4 different channels. It has a clean, crunch, overdrive 1, and an overdrive 2. It also has a headphone jack, and an input so you can play your Ipod through it. The amp also has 4 different effects options. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul 100 through it and it sounds decent, not the best sounding amp in the world though. The amp gets noisy on high volume and on overdrive 2 setting. It also cuts out a lot and gives a lot of feedback. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely not use it in a gig without a backup. Also this amp is very delicate and has poor reliability/durability. The main guitar inputs are very sensitive and are very subject to damage. // 4

Overall Impression: I play mostly country, rock, and blues and the amp does an alright job. If it was stolen, I would miss it, but save my money up and definitely buy a better-sounding amp. // 6

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2014