MG2FX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 11/19/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG2FX
Good sounds, well built, nice features, make it "one hand" adjustable. Spend the time setting the tone and it pays off with a very enjoyable small amp that can go anywhere.
 Features: 8.5
 8.8
 9.1
 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
MG2FX Reviewed by: ctgblue, on may 04, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Features: I am not rating this as a "stand alone amp", the ratings I am giving this are based on its comparison in the "battery powered, micro-amp" category. This is a 2011 Model - 2 watts, 6-1/2" speaker, 10 amp "models/voices", 3 effects + reverb & delay, 2 EQ knobs, tuner. Okay, it is pretty simple, on speaker, AC adapter or battery powered, built in tuner. It takes a little reading to figure out how to set it up because it "shares knobs" between functions. I understand saving space, but this makes you hold the Tap Button to adjust the EQ, set the delay, or adjust the reverb. Because they make it difficult, I give it a 7. If not for that, the 6-1/2" speaker vs everyone else's 5" would have given it a 9. But you have to use 2 hands to do any real adjustments, which you don't on others. // 7

Sound: This is where it shines. The clean is clean. The other 9 voicings are all Marshall tones but they are each slightly different and, I feel, make this amp more versatile than some others. IE it may not have the "r-fier" of the cube, but it will do metal, and it will stomp a mud hole in the cube for "crunch" and '80's rock tones. The larger speaker makes it sound more full toned and is more forgiving of EQ settings, whereas some of the ones with smaller speakers can get "shrill" faster than this. Not a huge Marshall tone fan, but it does the "multiple tone" thing well enough to garner a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It won't break, it's well built and pretty solid, I'd keep it if I didn't use the built in rhythms of my other practice amp. You could haul it in your suitcase on an airplane and it would be fine. Getting your guitar there in one piece might pose a challenge though. // 9

Overall Impression: Good sounds, well built, nice features, make it "one hand" adjustable and it goes to a 9, but it is a little difficult to setup and get just right, so it goes to an 8. Spend the time setting the tone and it pays off with a very enjoyable small amp that can go anywhere. // 8

MG2FX Reviewed by: snshami, on november 19, 2012

Purchased from: Pro Audio Star

Features: Made in 2012. This is the updated CFX model with the silver front panel. The amp is very fully featured with a 6.5" speaker and tons of Marshall distortions. Its got reverb and chorus, flanger, delay and phaser as well as MP3 in, headphones out, a proper tuner and an ability to store presets. It comes with a nice strap and an AC Adapter that takes universal voltages. It also works with 6 C size batteries that are supposed to last over a year. The amp looks nice and chunky with that great Marshall name on the front. // 10

Sound: I use this as my late night and travel amp. At the volumes I play it sounds absolutely awesome. In fact to say I was blown away is a very accurate description. Before this I have had a few small micro amps including a Roland Microcube and a Blackstar HT-1. The sound of this amp is definitely a lot clearer than the Roland and puts out more convincing distortion and metal tones. Where the Roland just farts sound this actually rocks. I would very much rate this on par with the Blackstar (an amp that is at least double the price). The distortion is clear and cleans up nicely when I roll of the guitar volume. The range of tones I can get out of this is incredible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I travelled with this amp to three countries and it was in my carry on luggage. At one airline gate my carryon bag was taken from me. I watched from the window of the plane and saw that they were throwing bags into the back of the trolleys. The bags were flying at least 6 to 7 metres and rolling and tumbling around. When I got to my destination I discovered that the speaker had been ripped off the back and was lying on the inside of the amp. It was still playing. I was able to reinstall it by screwing it slightly offset to the original pattern. Given how this amp was treated I was suprised it even worked at all. I will still rate it highly but not give it full marks. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this amp at ProAudioStar in NY. They are BTW, one of my favourite stores and offer great and reliable service. I play all types of music from clean to blues to rock and metal. I love its size and sound and its list of features. I love that it travelled all the way around the world with me and played in every country with just a different adapter plug. I believe it is the very best little portable amp in existence. I would recommend it over the Blackstar, Microcube, Pignose and the smaller Marshall MS-2. This one hits the nail on the head perfectly. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014