MG30DFX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 11/11/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG30DFX
The MG30DFX is a twin channel, 30-watt combo amp with one 10" speaker, digital effects and CD input.
 Features: 7.5
 Reliability & Durability: 7.6
 7.2
 6.8
reviews (43) pictures (1) 90 comments vote for this gear:
MG30DFX Reviewed by: TGM, on june 18, 2004

Features: The MG's are notortious for being unreliable, and mine is no exception. After four months, the MG kept on cutting out. I took it to the shop, they sent it to Marshall. Marshall kept it for two weeks, and then I got it back. Once I got it back, it was fine. Then after another month, it broke down again. The only thing the Marshall shop did was to set the amp to a nu metal sounding overdrive. One friend has his heat sink almost fall out. This is a very bad problem, the amp could have blown. HE did fix it though, and it isn't likely to give him other problems. Everyone who owns an MG (that I've known) has had it break down on them. They are built in India, this is worse than Korea or China kids. NOTE:I treat this amp, like all of my gear, very well. I keep it in a safe place, away from anything that will interfear with it's operation. I keep it clean, and I always turn the volume down before and after I trun it on/off. I only plug guitars in when it is off. The bottom line: an amp should not constantly break down on you like this, no matter how cheap it is. // 2

Sound: Overall, this amp tends to have strong mids. This gives it a bit mroe punch, and makes it sound more like you'd expect a Marshall to sound. The clean channel is good for one thing: strumming type songs. Try to play a lead, blues, or jazz and this channel won't cut it. It will just sound dull and boring. Once you take it past half, the clean breaks up and sounds choppy and buzzy. The louder it gets past half, the crappier the sound. This is because of tube emulation circuitry that Marshall puts in the Mg's, they don't advertise it much because it isn't a very good feature. Forget about headphones, you will need to turn the volume up past half to hear yourself, and that will make the amp sound crap. I need a clean channel that can be acousticy, glassy, flat, and this amp doesn't do that. Some electric strumming songs sound good through it though. The Overdrive channel is much better than the clean. It has crunch, and it is very punchy. The problem is that it is not versatile. You will get one tone out of it, no matter how you tweak the thing. I spent months looking for the perfect tone, and it just wasn't there. You can't get insane distortion, you can't even come close to the Metallica chug. You also can't get anything bluesy out of it. Try to play Hendrix, SRV, Led Zeppelin, or Queen on it and you will sound nothing like the bands. It's good at what it's designed to do, but it won't do anything else. Turn this channel up past half and it won't get that breakup, but it still sounds best around 3-4. If you trun the bass up, the amp will shake things since it ha a 10 inch speaker. It's loud for a 30 watt amp on overdrive, louder than most other amps. This isn't a $5000 dollar amp, and no amp this cheap will ever sound like one. However, that does not make up for the lack of versatility and the bad clean. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an average amp. It doesn't have anything special, and a lot of the features are bad, but you can get some good tones out of it. For the price, you can buy a much better and more versatile amp, but you'll be hard pressed to get that Marshall sound. If you play blues, funk, psychadelic rock, metal, or jazz like I do this amp will not cut it. It can only handle classic rock. When I tryed to play these other genres, it made my palying sound bad which is a definate turnoff. I lost this amp, and got an new amp that I like much more. When I bought this amp, I liked to play AC/DC and not much else. The amp was good for that, but as my taste and experiance grew the amp started to frustrate me more and more. This amp will not give you much room to grow and experiment in. The only things that are really good about this is the AC/DC tone, and the looks. If you have your heart set on an MG, get the MG15. It's much better value, and you probably wont need the extra 15 watts anyway. This amp has been overhyped, and it is not the real all tube JCM800 that Marshall is famous for. You should go and try all the amps in this price range. I only tried the MG30DFX and I paid the price. One last word, this is not very important though. This amp smells extremely bad. Marshall used some very funky smelling glue when it was manufactured, and when the speaker pushes air the smell comes out. It is very noxious, it gave me headaches and it didn't ever go away. The amps in the store don't smell like this because they have been aired out, that is they have been played on extensively. // 4

MG30DFX Reviewed by: broken circle, on january 16, 2004

Purchased from: PMT

Features: The features on this amp are astounding. It comes with four built in effects: reverb, delay, chorus and flanger (all well managed) the effects are top rate. The amp itself, effects aside, is kick ass. Therer are two channels, clean and overdrive. The only drawback is that you don't get a footswitch with the amp, I don't know if this is standard with all multiple channel Marshall's or what. The amp is extremely versatile. I play a few styles, mainly punk and heavy metal type stuff, I have tryed other styles with the amp just to see what I can do. You can get just about anything on this amp. // 10

Sound: I running this a Epiphone Les Paul Studio through a Boss DS-1 (until I get my footswitch), Marshall SV-2 Chorus pedal and finally my Marshall MG30DFX. It's brilliant. It doesn't hum when turned on like my other amp does. The distortion is pretty cool as well. At the higher settings its quite...brutal, could be thicker I suppose for people who like their distortion high. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this thing to go to hell and back and pick up some things from the gift shop there. It's built like a brick shit house. I would gig with this (if it was a small gig) without a backup, I trust it utterly. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp perfectly fits the style of music I play, it has a lovely tone, from crunchy-ass lows to some ass-kicking trebly tones. I have been playing for about a year and a half and so far I've had two amps, excluding my Marshall. I've also had two guitars, including my Les Paul. I am so pleased with this amp, it's hard to describe, I know it sounds cliche, but who cares? If I lost this, or it got stolen I would replace it in a heartbeat or save up a bit more and get the next one up. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2004

Features: This amp is not the best. It has pretty nice distortion but I reccomend buying the pedal. The reverb is not that great and gives off a cheap sound. This amp is deffinitly louder than the Marshall MG15DFX which I own and love. // 4

Sound: This amp gives the worst sound I have ever heard. The clean gives off a terrible sound and than I use a pedal and than it sounds even worst. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (2003) model with Gibson pickups and my other Marshall sounds great while this one stinks. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I was planning on using this amp for my school talent show but when I brought this home I noticed that the amp sounds like crap with my pedal I was gonna use and it just sounds like plain crap. I don't know if it would break down since I don't have it anymore because it was not good enough to keep. // 2

Overall Impression: I play rock and some acoustic. If I still owned this and had it stolen I would be pretty pissed off since my dad bought it for me and it was $250 which is a pretty good amount of cash. I now own a Line 6 Spider II 210 combo and am alot happier now since I own it. The only amp that I own that doesn't sound as good as this is my Marshall MS-2 which I got for playing for fun with and some practicing since I also own a Marshall MG15DFX which is better than this amp. Get the Marshall MG15DFX or just not a Marshall thats not a tube amp. // 2

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Brownsy, on october 23, 2006

Features: This amp is a budget priced solid state two-channel combo, with a nice, but basic digital internal effect. It was made in India in 2003. It has the usual Marshall refinements when it comes to tonal controls. The design and layout is in the typical Marshall style and is fitted with a "Marshall" 10inch 30watt speaker. The two channels can be controlled by a footswitch, which is not supplied! It has a CD input and a headphone output, which will allow you to play along to recorded music if you wish. The construction and the wood is indeterminate, as it is completely covered by the usual Black vinyl. // 7

Sound: I use this amp solely as a practice amp. Although it is a 30 watt amp, it does not really cut through very well in a live performance situation when used alongside other Amplification. I have played Strat's, Tele's, Les Paul's, SG's & PRS's into it and it works best in my opinion with the Strat's when using the clean channel to produce a "Sultan's of Swing" clean sound. My main live set up involves a JMP1 into a 2x50watt Marshall Power amp and so I can say in all honesty that the MG30 transistor technology does not compare at all with a genuine Valve(tube) sound, but it's fair to say that it does have some nice sound characteristics when used in it's own right. I play all styles of music, though mainly Rock. This amp has a nice clean sound when used at relatively low volumes in conjunction with the digital effects. The overdrive channel provides you with a reasonable "Dirty" sound that you would normally expect from this type of amp, but the problem is when you have to turn the volume up anywhere past halfway. I tried an experiment using this amp in a live situation to see how it performed alongside a DW drumkit, a Trace Elliot 300watt Bass rig and a Mesa Boogie Valve head. The Bar we set up in was not very big, so none of the amps were up very high and I found that in the soundcheck I had to turn every single control up to "10" to even stand a chance of hearing it. Once the sound goes beyond halfway, all the nice tonalities of the amp are lost and the amp sounds thin and boxy. A 12 inch speaker may have been a better option when they designed it. It would be okay in very quiet bands, or a rehearsal when lots of volume is not required. The clean sound could be used for a small Jazz combo and would hold it's own with some other "better" amps, but the overdive channel is all about providing grungey rock sounds and there is only really one sound on that channel regardless of the EQ settings. For live work, I will not use it again, but at home when practising or in a quiet rehearsal, it is more than good enough for the job. When rating this amp, I would give a 7 for clean sounds and a 5 for Overdrive. However, if it was to be used at volume, my ratings would drop to 3 for clean & 2 for overdrive. If you want to play at loud volumes, this is not the amp for you. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have had no reliabilty issues with the amp. It has worked whenever it has been switched on and has given me no reason to think this won't continue in the future. I can't really question the durability of the amp either. I have looked after it and three years later, it still looks like it's Brand New. As I said before, I wouldn't use this amp in a live situation, unless it was a small Jazz combo, or a quiet band, due to the sound limitations of it when it is turned up. If you're a bunch of kids and you're on a budget, it will be okay, unless you want to play at Angus Young's volume (I've heard him live and he's deafening). This amp will not do that. I don't use this amp as a backup, as I also have a Marshall 2x20watt EL84 set up in my rack for emergencies. The EL84 is considerably louder than the MG30, even though it's only 20 watts per channel and I can say confidently after many years of Pro playing that a typical 30 watt Valve amp is generally a lot louder than a 100 watts of transistor, so don't expect the MG30 to compare with a valve amp onstage, cos it can't. // 5

Overall Impression: I think I've covered off my overall impressions above, but I would like to make it very clear that despite its limitations at volume, I'm pleased with the amp and have no intentions of getting rid of it. I bought it with the sole intention to use at home when I need to practise, or to test out my guitar's before going to a gig. This amp makes a perfect practise amp and produces some really nice sounds at low volumes, but don't buy it & expect a Marshall stack sound, cos in that respect it just does not "cut" it! I'm rating the amp for the way I use it, (as a small practise amp)so bear this in mind when you judge my scores. For what it's worth, I think this amp is miles better than the Peavey practise amps that were available when I got it, but the best way to judge it is to try it out yourself. However, make sure to turn it up loud so that you know what you'll be letting yourself in for. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: (Sic)ness, on january 16, 2004

Features: The amp was made in 2003. It is a solid versitle peice wighing 11.5KG! The amp is a solid state amp with built in effects. It can thump out Metal riffs with ease but is suited to hard rock licks. It features switchable channels and a headphone jack. There are no real features which I would like to see on this amp. It's the perfect practice amp! The amp packs 30watts of power however if you switch the pickup selector on your guitar to amplify all strings then you can get some serious sound. It also features a Frequency dampening dial whcih immitates the sound of a tube amplifier, used with the bass cranked up produces the sweetest tones! // 10

Sound: I am using an Ibanez Gio series with this amp and although the guitar isnt that brilliant this amp makes it sound as sweet as anything.The amp is loud enough to drown out a set of drums including bass and snare. This amp suits everything which I wish to play whether it is Nu-Metal or fingerpicking blues. The amp can be noisy when the gain is pushed up otherwise no interferance is herd. The amp has an unlimmited veriety whether you wish for a ear popping solo sound or a clean bluesy sound. The clean channel never distortes at the highest volume even if you pump up the bass and peel back the treble. The distortion is ripping and brutal. Crank this baby up and watch the other band members ears bleed! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this without backup anyday of the week come rain or shine. The amp hasnt broken down and I believe never will. Also it is a steardy as a rock, It wont let your bear spill! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly Rock and Metal but also play grunge! This amp suits them all to a tee! This amp was allways my first choice as me and a friend both own one. He plays brilliantly and plays a Gibson V through it, It sounds so perfect! I would definitely buy another if the amp was stolen. I love every factor about this amp but if I was to choose it would be the clean channel which produces a perfect sound. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Subliminal_Si, on march 01, 2004

Purchased from: www.guitar-village.co.uk

Features: The Marshall MG30DFX features two channel, clean and distortion. These is also a separate effects channel that has chorus, flange, reverb and delay. There is a headphone jack, a cd input and there is a footswitch jack is you decide to buy the footswitch. there is a FDD (frequency dependant damping) button which when pused in, makes the amp sound more valve like. I recommend that this button is used, it makes the amp sound so much better. The effects can't be turned on/off by a switch, you have to manually turn the 'effect level' dial down. I use this amp for practise in my room, only at lowish volumes. I also use it when I play with my band, for these practises I usually have it almost full volume, it is loud enough I find to be heard over the drums, even in a smallish garage. I am very happy with the features on this amp and I don't regret buying it. I play alot of styles and I have found that this amp can cope with all of them (see below). // 10

Sound: When I went out to buy an amp, I wanted one that would be able to give me versatility becasue I was only reletively new to playing the guitar (I'd been playing 2 years when I bought it). I hadn't really elected a style that I played the most, I wanted an amp that could cover most styles: punk, rock, metal, ska and blues. With this amp, I can get the sounds needed to play these styles and the MG30DFX does this very well. I mainly use my bridge humbucker on my Brawley. I do find sometimes that i can get unwanted feedback but that is easily solved by moving just a little to the side or away from it. having the gain setting too high can also result in unwanted feedback in my experience, easily solved though. At higher volumes I find that the distortion is a little bit less defined but only slightly, I have played a few gigs with it and it has come through these well. The clean channel has very good headroom, when on full the sound doesnt distort as I had expected it to when I first bought it. Overall I think that this amp has a very good sound, when I get a new amp I will most probably get a Marshall because of the very high standard of sound that I have got from this model. // 10

Reliability & Durability: during the time that i have had this amp, it has never broken down. i don't service it, all i do is chack on the wires in the back (two of them!) now and again. The footswitch that i bought separately for it is another matter though. i was using it about 9 months after i had bought it and suddenly, while i was playing, it started switching between the channels when i wasn't touching it. it didn't do it again until i was playing a gig, off all the places. i have taken it apart and there is nothing wrong. luckily it hasn't done this since. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is amazing, I wasn't expecting it to be so good when I bought it. The sound quality is just astonishing I feel and I love using the digital effects. I would though recommend that the FDD button is always pushed in becasue it makes the amp sound much better. If it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy this model again, I expect that I would buy a more powerful model e.g the MG100DFX because I would like to have a bigger, more powerful amp. If you don't need so much power though, I would suggest this as the amp for you! // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: the fendernator, on march 22, 2004

Features: I bought this amp brand new. It has has 2 channels, clean and overdrive and 4 effects to add to this. I use this amp for practicing and small gigs. It can drown out a drum kit if you have a decent drummer who can play quietly but a crap drummer who snaps his sticks all the time will drown out this amp. // 10

Sound: This amp should suit all styles. I use it on clean with an effects pedal for distortion as the overdrive channel hasn't got any really good settings. It sounds great as it hardly has any feedback when you turn it on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's very compact, so compact that I lost the key for the padlock of my guitar case down the back of the speaker inside it. It has never crashed and worked straight away. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing almost 3 years and suits punk, metal and soft rock very well. It is great value for 130 brand new and if someone nicked it I'd cry for a while then buy a new one. 30 watts isn't quite loud enough for gigs so only buy this amp if you want a Lloyd practice amp. Get an effects pedal for distortion as the overdrive channel isn't great. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Features: The amp has reverb and some other features but they are not that great. If your buying this amp for features then give up now. It has a foot switch and headphone jack which is a welcome addition to any amp. The features are decent at best. // 6

Sound: This amp has ok distortion but I highly recomened using a distortion pedal. (I use the Zakk Wylde distortion and it sounds awsome). Its clean channel is bad but it sounds good if you look in the Marshall instruction manual and use the examples found in it and set it to "Clean Bright". I play rock and roll classic rock and it works great with the distortion pedal. If you play metal then stay away from this guitar unless you have a crazy distortion pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It isn't my style to go to a gig without a backup (and I wouldn't use a 30w amp anyway) but I'd be willing to bet this amp would sustain very well. This amp has amazing duability if your keeping it in you home. I have never had a problem with the amp working. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock as well some blues and this amp is great with my Zakk Wylde distortion pedal. I use a Ibanez JS100 (Joe Satriani signurature) and it works great but I wish the features wern't so bad. They actually become frusterating after awile but it sounds great with the right guitar (never play with a Squier Strat, my previous guitar) and equipment I have been playing for four years and I've had the guitar for half that time and it's doing great. If this amp was stolen I would probobly buy a different amp, but thats because this is more of a beginner amp and I've been playing for 4 years. My overall impresstion of this amp is that it is good. // 8

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2005

Features: I don't know where this amp was made in or was it korean? I play punkish and metal so Yellowcard sorta stuff to Metallica but I do strongly reccomend that if you play alot of heavy metal then use a distortion pedal because otherwise it does sound pretty crap! It has 2 channels, a single footswitch input, CD input, headphones port and 4 on board effects. The effects aren't that great but they sound ok when there low. The features I wish this amp had would be better distortion as I find when I play metal you have to have the volume up quite alot to get the full use of it. I use this amp a little at home and I have used it in a little hall at a gig I did and it sounds ok there as we where playing punkish stuff and the volume was quite high so I had no problem with the distortion. // 6

Sound: At the moment I have only been playing almost a year so I use an AXL Strat with 2 coil single pickups and it sounds ok on this amp although I find when you play clean it does sound rather tangy. This guitar is ok for the punkish sort of stuff and some solos as it's got a nice sharp sound on distortion but I wouldn't recomend it for clean songs. I find aswell that I get alot of buzzing witch really does get annoying when your trying to solo so not the best of guitars really. The amp I find (dunno if anyone else would agree) is on the effects it has this effect where it sounds oldish and suits sanitarium by Metallica well at the intro to the song. The clean is ok I guess, not brilliant but good for me and is better than distortion at low levels as you don't loose any good sound. I think the distortion on this amp is not mega heavy but its in between so does suit punk and emo quite well and if you wanted to play songs that needed only a lil bit of distortion then this amps for you! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I couldn't depend on this amp all of the time as sometimes it goes really quiet and you have to bang it to get it back to normal so if I was giging I wouldn't use this amp but maybe if it was a smaller gig then maybe but I would have to defo have a backup as it's not a very dependable amp. It hasn't really ever broken down for me but does tend to loose the distortion totally and not come back untill you hit it but if you look after it it should be fine. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and some punk. With the metal this amp is not really for you unless you use a distortion pedal but with the punk and emo I guess you could pro get away with it. I have been playing for almost a year now and I own a lil Ibanez amp and a footswitch for this amp witch is cool and helpfull. I wish I could of asked if the distortion would cope with metal and if its dependable for a gig. If this amp was stolen I wouldn't get another one to replace it, I would pro get a Messa Boogie amp as I heard they are quite good for metal. The big thing I hate about this amp is the fact the distortion isn't how I would love it to be and does cut out so if I was doing a big gig no way would I use this amp! The thing I love about this amp is the fact you can make it sound a little jumpy and old with the effects but thats just about it. My fav feature is the oldie effect. I didn't really compare this amp to any others because they where either too much or bigger than I wanted and I haven't been playing all that long. I chose this amp because then I could use it in little gigs that I do and use the on board effects. The only thing I wish this amp had was better distortion that didn't cut out! // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: loki_lulamen, on march 06, 2006

Features: This is a cheap Marshall solid state 30watt amplifier with 2 channels. It has foot switchable channels; the clean channel has volume, bass and treble. The overdrive channel has gain, bass, contour, treble, and volume. the are 4 built in digital effects which are, reverb, delay, chorus and flange it has I dial to change the effect type and one for the overall level. It also has a "Frequency Dependant Dampening (FDD)" switch. there is an emulated line out and a CD player input as well. One 10" speaker. The features make this look like a really good amp but you'd be wrong! // 7

Sound: I am playing a Maverick F-1 through this amp and I play mostly rock and metal but I dabble in the other styles. This amp does nothing justice! Firstly it is a solid state and solid state amps should be avoided at all costs. The clean channel is very small with its sound but it is just bearable with a tad of chorus and the fdd switch out. The overdrive channel is shit, wait it's less than shit. It is almost impossible to get any tone or any good sound at all from it. The overdrive is really weak and murky and the contour dial just exaggerates this. When I used this at a band practice my other guitarist had his 50watt amp on about 4 and I had the Marshall at 10 with my mt-2 on full and I was drowned out like a drop in an ocean. This amp is a piece of crap! // 2

Reliability & Durability: When I was given this amp about 2 years ago I thought yes! It's a Marshall; it will be reliable and have a good sound. 3 weeks after I got it, the power started to cut out. After many hours of labour and frantic exploration of the innards of this amp I discovered from forums that the connection from the cable to the amp had been badly done on a huge amount of them. So after fixing the problem it happened again 2 months later! I would never use this amp for a gig, for two reasons: it sounds shit and it probably wouldn't last more than a few seconds on stage. // 3

Overall Impression: My over all impression when I opened the box to this amp was "it's a Marshall so it's got to be kind of good" but after about 2 hours I was thoroughly convinced that no one should ever buy this amp. Marshall are gods of the amplifiers but they fell seriously short of that title with the whole mg series. The 100HDFX/DFX and the 250DFX were the only two with a half decent sound. If it were lost or stolen I would laugh because the f--ker who stole it did me a favour and put in all that effort for the shittest amp around. // 2

MG30DFX Reviewed by: WildthingJR, on july 04, 2007

Features: This solid state amplifier features two channels, clean and overdrive. You can buy a separate foot switch which allows you to switch between these channels. However, I found the foot switch a bit lacking. I really had to press it hard to achieve any effect at all. It has your usual input jack, a CD in jack and a emulated line out/headphone jack. It has a few digital effects, which are quite nice to play around with: reverb, chorus, flanger and delay. It's a quite reliable amp. I've dropped it a few times and gigged with it. When I just bought this one, I was satisfied. However, now that I'm playing more and more gigs I found the sound lacking. // 6

Sound: I play a Fender Stratocaster MIM through a Boss ME50 and this amp. As I said before, I was satisfied in the beginning. When at low volumes and with a little bit of tweaking, I can get some really nice sounds. However, when I crank it up to 5 or higher, it doesn't give me the power, volume and tone I want. The clean channel is OK. It keeps the nice strat sound that I was looking for (I bought this amp first, then the Strat). I barely use the distortion channel. It's too noisy (even when my pickup Switch is in the 2 and 4 positions) and the tone is too muddy. It doesn't give me a really brutal, hi-gain sound neither. I'd rather use the distortion effects on my ME50. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with it. It has never broken down on any occasion, even although I did treat it roughly at times. If I'd only look at reliability, I'd always gig with it as I don't think I'd need a backup. However, it doesn't get louder after you turned the volume knob up to 6/7. // 7

Overall Impression: If you play in your bedroom only, if you never gig and if you're a beginning guitarist, this amp is quite nice. However, you can get much better amps for the same amount of money (Vox AD30, Roland Cube 30W). I was satisfied with this amp, and if I didn't progress in my playing, I'd still be. However, I'm looking for a certain tone that this amp will never produce. // 5

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2007

Features: I bought this amp at Prom Music. I'll admit that, despite having a low pricepoint, I was skeptical of the fact that it was a solid-state amp, which I've heard so many bad things about. But when I plugged my Jackson RR3 into it, I was pretty impressed. I play mostly metal and rock and this amp was perfect for my taste. It has two channels (clean, and overdrive) and mine came with a footswitch. It has 30 watts of out put and it's reasonably small, so it's not a bitch to carry around. // 8

Sound: I own a Jackson RR3 with Seymour Duncan JB's and a liscenced Floyd Rose Tremolo. The amp sounds graet with this guitar. It's really not that noisy; usaually I have it set to about a quarter of the volume when I play. The amp doesn't have a huge variety of sounds, but that's fine, considering I don't really use the FX much. When cranked to 10, the distortion is pretty heavy and brutal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not owned this amp for very long, but it doesn't short out on me, ever. I think I would use this without backup. It's a solid state amp. so I don't need to worry about the tubes or anything. I take good care of my amp, so I don't anticipate it breaking down on me. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, mostly death metal and thrash metal, but occasionally I play some alt-rock, punk and grincore. This amp works quite well for me. If it were stolen, I would probably track down and kill the person Who stole it. Simply put, this is a great amp with lots of great tones and will work with almost every style // 9

MG30DFX Reviewed by: FightinIrishPJ, on january 19, 2009

Features: First off, I would just like to say that I used my MG for a solid year before replacing it, so I believe this is a very unbiased review. I will try to tell you exactly what it is, what it's not, and whether it will be good for you. You probably can read up on what all the knobs are and do, a few to note is that it's a 2 channel amp, clean and distorted, and has 4 inbuilt effects, reverb, tremolo, delay, and chorus. You can buy an optional footswitch to change the channels. It's solid state, and has 30 watts. I have used this amp in my bedroom, band practices, and a small gig (more on this later). Pretty basic amp, not too complicated. // 7

Sound: I used this amp with a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and an Ibanez Strat copy, but only when a string on my Gibson broke. I used this amp for punk/alternative, but did not choose this amp when I had these influences. It is not a noisy amp, actually very quiet. It also accepts pedals very well on the clean channel. I used it with my Boss OS-2, DS-1 and crybaby. Here's where my complaints with the amp begin. If you pick aggressively on the clean channel, the amp sort of blurts out the note with a clipping sound at the start of the note which is horrible sounding. I did not notice this when I picked out the amp, but as my ear for tone developed, it became unbearable. The distortion on it is definitely not very high gain and it does NOT have crushing overdrive. The distortion was not to my taste, so I outsourced to pedals and only used the clean channel. The internal effects are halfway decent, but if you use them a lot, use a pedal version of them because there is no fast way to turn them on and off. At high volumes, this amp is horrible. The sound of solid state clipping is intolerable. I should also mention that this amp is decently loud, but not enough for a heavy hitting drummer. This amp will work to gig with over a soft drummer, as I have used it in my old band, but with a drummer that hits hard, there is no chance of being heard. Bedroom practice is the only good option of this amp, but there are better amps for the price. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I must say, this amp is reliable in the respect that it has never cut out on me, and no volume drops. However, I know someone with the same amp and he experiences volume drops all the time. The back plate of my amp also rattles at louder volumes and is horrible in recordings. The handle also sometimes rattles (another problem for recording). // 4

Overall Impression: I feel that this amp is sold based on it's name only. It sells because it says "Marshall" on it but this company is known for it's tube amps which are totally unrelated to the MG series. I could see someone using this amp for bedroom practice, but not much else and there are better options, such as the microcube and similar amps. If it were lost/stolen I wouldn't get another one for sure. I now use an Orange Tiny Terror head and it's amazing. I would definitely recommend going with a tube amp if you are considering this amp. The MG is a midrange amp, one step up from a starter pack amp, but below anything that will sound good tonally. It was a good stepping stone, but it was a waste of money because you grow out of it and can't easily sell it. // 5

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2004

Features: I'm not sure what year the amp was made in, but it is in exelent condition. Not a mark on it. When I got it the first thing I did was experiment with the styles. Distortion, Clean and all the effects. Reverb, delay, chorus and flange. After I had played around for a good few hours, I settled down and started playing some proper stuff. It came with a distortion foot switch so I was able to change channel at will. You started with some simple stuff, then realising the power of it switched to full distortion and tried some heavier stuff. There aren't any other features I wish this had. It has just enough power for me, as I haven't been playing long and is a good size for practice with all the effects I will need until I improve. Ok ok if I had to choose an effect I could have, I would have some sound bending effects like you can get on some footswitches. But that's all. // 10

Sound: I use a kramer focus with my amp. It is my first guitar and with the amp its even better. It suits my style perfectly as it has all the right sounds for the styles I play and enough volume to pack a punch if needed. It usually stays on clean sound as I find if I'm learning a new song it it clearer to hear and when im sure of it I'll switch to proper effects. The clean channel doesn't go into distortion in the volume I use it but at full volume it may so it may not be fully good for gigging. The distortion isn't too brutal even at full but it depends what your looking for. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not fully sure that I would use it at a gig without a back up as I haven't properely gigged before and especially at my first proper gig I would want some reasurance. So far my amp has not broken down. But I have only had it two weeks, so after time I cannot determine what will happen. but so far it has been ok. // 6

Overall Impression: I mainly play around the rock and metal styles, so it is good for my style as it has moderate distortion and good clean sound. I have only been playing since just before christmas so its good for my skill level. If I had asked anything before I bought it, I would have asked about the clean sound at hight level turning to distortion. But as I haven't come across it yet it seems to be ok. I would definitely buy it again if it was stolen, providing they dont steal my money and guitar aswell. I love it beceause it sounds so much better than my previous amp the Marshall MS-2. I hate it because its soo heavy and I can only carry it a little way at a time. My favourite feature is the reverb level. I love the echoing effect. I compared it to other gear and I added up all the things I needed in an amp and this matched the criteria. I wish it came with wheels. It's best for beginners who wat a good practice and gigging amp. // 8

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Bristlehead, on may 03, 2004

Features: The amp suits me and the music I play (metal...harder rock) very well. It's has pretty good built-in effects (delay, flange, chorus, and reverb), but I hardly ever use them. Some of them (like flange and chorus) get kind of annoying. I use this thing in my basement, good thing it's not that powerful becasue my parents would freak, but it can definately go loud as hell for a pretty little amp. // 8

Sound: The sounds is pretty darn good. The clean starts buzzing at a really loud volume, and the distortion is better when it's quieter but...hey, that might just be my guitar. :) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definately reliable. I take it everywhere, and it's pretty easy to move, just a little heavy for my weak and frail little body :'( // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, good amp. Best one I've had at least, but I haven't had too many :) Very good for the money, and if you're just holing up in your basement. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: OffspringPhreak, on june 17, 2004

Features: Amp seemed good, the Marshall name, 30 watts, the effects, the price, I bought it expecting too much. The effects are ok, but I like my Zoom pedal better. The only thing carrying this is the Marshall name though. // 4

Sound: I have an Ibanez GSA60, and a Yamaha strat with a Seymour Duncan humbucker. I play a wide range of things, mostly rock/puk/grunge. The distortion channel on this amp kicks ass, though it needs some tweaking and isn't really versitile. The clean channel is bland, and don't even try using a distortion pedal (I have an MT-2 and a DS-1, both sound like complete s--t on that amp, which sucks since it's my only one). I'm dissapointed since I wanted that nice "Marshall sound" I've been hearing about. Even though the clean sucks, I'll give it a decent rating for the distorted channel, it's worth at least a check out depending on your kind of music. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far it hasn't fuzzed out or anything. It's lasted for about a year now? Only problem I've had was getting a good sound out of it. But it's good enough for bedroom use, damn thing is really loud too, dunno what the deal is gig-wise though. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I'm guessing this would be good for shredding and metal only, the distortion is really good, I love this amp distortion, but the effects and the clean channel suck really bad. I play stuff that goes back and forth between clean and distorted and i can't get a good even match, don't thinka bout using a stompbox/distortion pedal, overall I'm really dissapointed, this is my first Marshall amp and it'll prolly be the last. // 4

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2004

Features: I know that this is one of the new breed of Marshall's solid states but unsure of it's actual year. I purchased this in the winter of 2002 and had only been playing guitar for a few months. It has the standard two channels: clean and overdrive. it has Four customisable DFX chorus, delay, reverb and flange. Initially when I got this amp I had no effects and no distortion pedal, just a button on my 10 watter. But the MG30DFX has a footswitch for the two channels. The DFX are not footswitchable. I'm not in a band so I dont gig this so it ahs never gone past half when the folks are out. I do know however that a band uses one and it gets quite crappy past 7 or 8. // 6

Sound: I initailly used the amp with a Yamaha ERG121 with standard chinese crap and the amp did well to make it sound half decent. But after playing guitar for a year and a half I upgraded to the Epiphone Les Paul Cutom. The amp did welland still makes it sound great at low levels through my Korg AX1500G. However the in-built distortion isn't too great. I never use it for one sole reason, my pedal is better. Also It has difficulty working at times! the clean channel is fine yet being a solid state can be a little too crisp for my liking of hard rocky metal. Again my pedal helps. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far it has never let me down. It has just always worked. The channel switching is very tempremental but thiscan be due to an unnofficial footswitch. The DFX are alright but can be a little strong even turned down. I never use anything but the reverb, again my pedal makes up for it. Like I said before I personally have never gigged it but I do know a band that does use one and the guitarist is never pleased with it (but his a whingy little tit.) // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is quite good alround. Blues stay well away becasue you will not achive your style unless you rewire it. The best distortion I can achive is with evbery knob turned up (not the volume tho) then it sounds full and powerful, if you try to tinker it always seems as if it's missing something. My conclusion is this amp is great for begginers or people with decent effects units/pedals. It's great for practicing in your room or practicing wioth a band at gigs, forget about it! What do you expect from 30 watts anyway! // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Shards, on august 26, 2004

Purchased from: Uhlik's Music

Features: To my knowledge, this amp is faily new, built in 01 or 02. I play rock, metal, and alternative, and it suits them well. The two footswitchable channels are overdrive and clean, though at half volume and up, the clean channel kicks into a sort of mid-point overdrive, between clean and the actual second channel. The overdrive channel is decent, but certainly not mean enough for heavier thrash metal. I use it for slightly overdriven clean sounds, and a Boss MT-2 for my distorted sound. It has 4 on-board digital effects, which each sound very nice, though they're not very flexible and not footswitchable. It has a headphone jack, I never use it just because I don't need to. If someone in my house were picky enough, I would. I wish it had footswitchable DFX on it, but other than that it's very decent. I use this amp at home and at practices with my loosely self-proclaimed band, it carries it's (and my) weight in either place. It's got just enough power for me, I never find myself wishing it had more. // 8

Sound: I'm playing a Fender Prodigy and a Hondo strat-style guitar through it. The Hondo leaves quite a bit do be desired on the heavier end of things because of it's single-coils, but I've done a custom wiring job on that guitar for individual pickup control. It sounds crystal clear, sweet and bell-like clean. The Prodigy is my darker, harder guitar, tuned to D and equipped with an EMG Select 'bucker and two Select single coils. It delivers the scream and growl very well, albeit with the help of my MT-2; the clean channel still sounds nice with it, too. It's never really noisy, but I've done body-cavity sheilding on both my guitars. The amp on it's own has a decent variety of EQ to it on both channels and I can get a nice array of sounds out of it. I'm not musically diverse enough yet to know if it'll suit other styles well, but with the exception of -extremely- hard distortion, it handles everything I play on it. The clean channel does distort at high volumes. This is advertised as being intentional, and past a certain point on the volume knob I do hear the "click, " the change in frequencies that denotes some more circuitry is effecting the tone, so I think it is. The amp's distortion is good for classic rock, or softer modern rock, but get a pedal for anything hard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned it for a couple months, and it's never consistantly broken down. It's had some erratic bevavior, like the volume lowering to nothing on it's own, but I never managed to get it to repeat the behavior to figure out what the source was. I haven't owned it long enough to tell if it's really built well, but it seems quite solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I play between soft and hard rock, metal, thrash, and alternative. The tone is nice for all of those, though I haven't laid ears on a lot of examples of what people say is "great tone." I just know I like it. I've been playing nearly a year now, I own a 10-watt Silvertone practice amp, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, a '91 Fender Prodigy, a Hondo Stratocaster copy, and some crappy GemSound wireless mic. I love the line in feature most, it allows me to patch in the output of my PC, for software-based drum machines and synths, and just jamming to my favorite bands. If it were stolen or lost, I would be depressed for a very long time, and probably not be able to afford another one for quite a while. I didn't do a lot of comparing, just rode on the Marshall name, but it seems to have come through nicely. My next one up is a 250 or a 100, whichever of those has footswitchable DFX (I can't remember which one it is.) // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: ultimate_punk, on september 02, 2004

Purchased from: piedog.com

Features: For a beginner, this amp has it all. It's a solid state amp, has got two channels, (clean and overdrive) and has four built in digital effects (Reverb, Chorus, Flange, and Delay. While fun to toy with at first, these soon start to become quite irratating. This amp can be quite versatile, the distortion channel is good for punk/rock riffs. You can play with the overdrive knobs for hours, there are a large amounts of tones you can achieve. It has 30 Watts of power, although the distortion channel seems to scream and crackle at anything over a quarter volume, particulary with a high gain setting. There is a Cd input, which I play my Cd's through, and a headphones jack and emulated line out. I use the line out frequently for recording, but too use it I'd advise getting a jack socket splitter, they're really cheap. A footswitch is also available for the amp (30?) but I don't have it. // 8

Sound: I play my Squier Bullet Strat through this amp which isn't amazing but it's good enough for my standard (been playing a year.) I play lots of punk riffs and powerchords which comes out pretty well in this amp (in fact your powerchords are something that will come out really well in this amp). I play it in my bedroom, and when playing with distortion the amp can make very loud feedback noises which can be annoying. Although this amp can get almost any tone you require, by wary of 'the blues tingled crunch' that the FDD (Frequency Dependancy Damping) apparently gives you. It is ineffectual, and gives you nothing whatsoever. If I could give this 3. 5 I would but I can't so I'll give it 4. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged but have been told on numerous occasions by my guitar teacher (he advised me to get this amp) that it is easily loud enough for small/medium halls. The amp has never broken down on me. You don't need to maintain this amp at all which is a huge bonus for me as I'm a very negligent person. I can't fault this amp for bedroom playing, but as I have never gigged with I can only give it four. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall for a beginner looking for a decent amp on a low budget, this will fit the bill. For a guitarist with lots of experience you will want more. I was going to get the 50DFX but pulled out when I realsied that if I had made a mistake, it would be another 50 down the drain. If it was stolen, I wouldn't get it again. I'd probably get a Peavey or find a better Marshall on ebay. Also the footswitch should be included. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2005

Features: I think mine was built around 2000, in Korea. The newer ones built in India are very bad I've heard. I play electric blues and it works ok. I'm working on maoney for something bigger and better. It is combo channel and has some effects (reverb, chorus, delay). The reverb and chorus sound alright at low levels. It has CD, footswitch and headphone jacks, the footswitch wasn't included which is a pain in the ass. I practice with a drummer with this and it is loud enuogh. // 8

Sound: I have a Yamaha SBG 200 from about 1980 and a Takamine GX 100 electric from the same era (bet you didn't know they existed). It sounds pretty good except on the Yamaha's neck pickup. The overdrive sort of cheesy and/or heavy metally sounding for my music, but you can find that magic setting and it sounds good. High gain and high volume cause it too hiss but every amp does to some degree. It is meant to be a practice amp so there isn't much variety you can get close to virtually any sound though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a problem with this amp. The Indian made ones seem to be extremly undependable though. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't match the electric blues as well as I would like, but I do play music like Nirvana and Sabbath and it seems to work for that. I wish I had a footswitch for this amp, it should be included. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again because I would want something bigger and with tubes now that I have found my style of playing. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Love_METAL, on october 21, 2005

Features: The Marshall MG30DFX has two channels, clean and overdrive. There are a lot of different sounds to be made from the overdrive channel and the clean channel s just plain clean. I don't often use the effects on there but they're pretty cool to have fun with. I use this amp for bedroom practice and band practice, it handles the situations well but I'd never gig with this amp, not anough power. // 8

Sound: I use a basic left handed Squier Strat. I spew plenty of pit-worthy thrash tunes from this amp, together with my Death Metal Distortion pedal on the clean channel, I am really impressed with the performance. I never find any problems with my clean channel, it's just clean. The built in distortion isn't the best but aslong as you have a good distortion pedal it doesn't matter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is amazing to take to band practices and bedroom playing. If it had more power behind it I would gig it without back up but I wouldn't be heard. The amp has never broken down but is currently sounding a bit poor but I put that down to age, it's quite old and is soon to be replaced, for it's big brother the Marshall MG250DFX. // 10

Overall Impression: This fits well with my thrash metal tunes and my death metal pedal. I only own my guitar and this amp and the digi tech death metal pedal. I've been playing for about 3 years. If I lost or had this amp stolen I would buy a more powerful version of it, a gig-worthy one. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: peterella, on november 02, 2005

Purchased from: long and mcquade

Features: The amp is good for pretty much any styles from blues to metal. 2 channels - overdrive and clean. Effects loop and headphone jack inputs. Reverb, delay, flanger and chorus are built in efects and it has contour control on the overdrive channel. I use this amp for practicing and it goes fairly loud, but I still would like it to go louder. Solid state 30 w. // 8

Sound: I use a Godin LG with Seymour Duncan P90 pickups on it. It sounds okay, but not great. the clean channles are nto clean after you go over half volume and the distortion is good, but doesn't sound great. Pretty noisy when at high overdriven volumes. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It was good for the first year or so, but has recently started to crackle and fade the sound once in a while. It has never broken down and is very solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I rented a Traynor YCV40WR and when I went back to this amp it sounded like playing through computer speakers. It sounded alot worse than the Traynor, but there is a considerable price difference between them. I wish I would have tried other amps also before buying this one. If it were stolen I would look at other amps first. I saw a 30 watt Fender with just as many features for 200 dollars less, so it is a little overpriced. I overall like this amp, but it is not a great amp sompared to many out there. I would try it before you buy it. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: brainfreeze4u, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: Nice solid state amp, small and effective, I use it mostly as a practice amp. The effects are ok and I'm not going to knock them as they didn't cost 100 each for the pedals. Normally use a TSL122, but this isn't really suitable in my house where my flatmates enjoy moaning. Has a nice overdrive function, the clean channel is a bit quiet and with my Gibson SG it doesn't really cut the mustard. Sounds nice with my old Vintage V100WR on overdrive, plays heavy and bluesy tones, handles the pace and so I can't fault it. Also it's cool having the pedal input on such a small amp. // 10

Sound: I play blues and heavy rock, and so a bit of a mixture goes through this amp, it seems to handle them all fine, play it with a Dimebag Darrel wah, and it handles it ok, the distortion is nice after a certain volume, but on low volume it stinks, has a cool valve amp simulatory circuit which makes it sound slightly different still, good isolation of sound, very little feedback and nice power for a small scale band or at home. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Bit small for a real sized gig, but I have previously used it mic'd up through a PA. No need to service tubes etc as it's a nice n' reliable solid state, power wise prefer my other amps, but its good if you dont play gigs, or if you only play small ones. // 10

Overall Impression: Nice amp, bit small to do any real damage in a gig, but it has never let me down and is tolerable to the neibours. Input function for auxilliary out is good for playing along to music from ipod etc, and have used the ouput on the amp to record it on my trusty 8 track. // 8

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2006

Purchased from: Electronica Gonzalez

Features: This amp was made in 2004 and it was made in Korea. This is amp is versatile enough to play, rock, punk, jazz, blues, and not so heavy metal. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, it has and input for the channelswitcher pedal but it didn't come with the amp price, has 4 effects, chorus, delay, reverb and flanger not the best effects but they are nice enough. Has headphone jack. The feature I wish it had is a heavier distortion and a knob for each effect. I use all features, because they all are of good quality and for the price I paid its like I had it stolen. I use this amp for practice and gigs. Has enough power to beat a smashing drummer but when if turn it louder the gain goes up too and has a crappy tone. The speakers are nice but could be better. // 9

Sound: First I used and Xpectra guitar (it's like a Squier Strat), with 3 single coils, it sounded nice. But now I use a Squier Fender Showmaster Skull&Bones with 2 humbuckers and the distortion sounds better with the bridge humbucker. The clean channel its ok on its own, but if you add some reverb you can make a nice tune of it. I use a Boss ME-50 effects pedal, and the sound that I get its really good. Without the effects pedal this amp would barely suit my metal taste, but if you play punk you will be happy, the bad thing is that you need the footswitch for the clean and if you need another tone you have to change it manually. For the noise, well I had a weird experience, a strange sound came of the amp if like the flanger was on but it was when I stopped playing and the sound lasted like 5 seconds, but no distortion noises. The sounds this amp specializes are from heavy metal, other genres are just ok. The clean channel distorts even at mid volumes, its like an overdrive but nothing to worry about. The distortion when it has all the gain is for playing like Iron Maiden, if you want something like Arch Enemy you need and effects pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: These amps are said to be unrealiable, but mine is in very good shape and hasn't broke up or failed during a jam session or gig. I depend on this amp, I can't affor a backup but I'm sure it won't fail. This amp has never complained for the use I give it. I use like 3 hours a day minimum. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly trash metal, this is a good match because Marshall amps work nice with high gain. I have been playing for 1 year and a half, I own a Squier Showmaster Skull&Bones which makes a good match for this amp and for what I play. It if were stolen or lost I would buy it again, and keep for backup when I buy a stack. I compared it to other products and for the price I paid I had even more than the other companies give, surely this amp gives a happy face to your pocket. I wish it had a better speaker and separated knobs for all the effects // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: mickalodean, on august 21, 2006

Features: This amp was purchased by me, around 3 months ago, I have played it in big halls, with a lot of other musicians. It provides many different effects and different sounds to play with. I think a problem with this amp if you are a "better" guitar player the amp does come with a "mid" knob in the clean section. Though if your that gooder musician with that amp you'd have effects boards with mid settings on them. But overall very good with features. // 8

Sound: The amp creates a very nice clean sound and a very muddy distortion that I've grown quite fond off. Some people have said on these reviews that you can't play over drums with it, rubbish! I played over drums with a squire "SP-10" guitar amp and that was louder than drums. Even at loud or quiet settings this amp provides clean sound at any level. There seems to be a lot of buzzing from this particular amps distortion so I reckomend a Marshall Jackhammer that is able to create a great distortion with out all the buzz. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Marshall lots of people have said this. It's reasonably heavy, could be dropped and would still be fine (I reckon) would gig with this amp for deffinate! Is really very good it's a Marshall lots of people have said this. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from calm classicall music (very good clean sound for this) to thrash metal, mostly playing hard rock/rock. Fits all sound. If your looking for an amp that will provide for different styles at good reasonable prices this is the way foward. On these reviews I've noticed people say the MG's are unreliable and the sound breaks up. Rubbish I had this problem once and it was my lead. The amps are fine. Buy One! But I do recomend getting the MG50DFX for not that much more. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: sam i am, on february 19, 2007

Features: The MG30DFX is two channels clean and OD, it has four effects, Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Flange. You can only use one effect at once and only adjust one paremeter for each effect. I don't use these becuase there is no way of switching them on and off. I don't use the OD either, frankly because it sounds bad. I use a pedal instead. It also has a headphone jack and a CD IN ack. No FX loop. It is 30 watts, but as SS amps have a tendancy to sound worse at high volumes, this is barely enough for band a practice. I have used at small gigs but like I said it sounds worse at high volumes so I wouldn't reccomend it. Now, I only use it for a band practice in an attic where I can't take my bigger amp. It is ok for features but whether they are good enough to use is another question. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with Squier Stratocaster (ok, not so great), but even that isn't an excues for the sheer awfulness of this amp. The cleans are muddy and can distort, but with careful EQing you can get a decent sound. The OD however, is absoulutely terrible. It's fizzy, fuzzy, weak, no sustain, harsh and just plain bad. It doesn't really suit any styles becuase it's so bad. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Apparently, MGs are "notoriously unrelable" but I can say that my amp has never broken down, and it was second hand. The cable going to the speakers have become disconnected a few times but all you have to do is put them on again so that's no problem. Some times I wish it would break though. I would gig without a backup, but if you ever catch me gigging with it, slap me. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, blues, indie, punk and alternative and this is probably about the amps territory, but it desn't do it well. I have been playing 3 years now, and have since upgraded to a Peavey Valve King, which isn't great but it's a big step up. If it were stolen or lost I'd think "oh well". Stay away fomr this amp! Just because it has the famous curly logo on the front is no guarantee it's good. In fact, many are angry at Marshall for producing such a poor amp knowing it will sell just because it has the Marshall logo on the front, for they have sold they're soul. There are much better options for the price range, the obvious options being the Vox Valvetronix and the Roland Cube. // 1

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2007

Features: My MG30DFX was Brand New when I bought it from guitar center, which was late summer 06. It's got a clean and overdrive channels, both of which are very unique. The overdrive is classic Marshall, and is probably the slickest tone you can get with a solid state amp. The clean tone isn't well suited to jazz or blues, so take notice. The digital effects are operated thru 2 knobs, one to select the combonation of effects and another for the amount of effect. The effects are pretty decent overall, the reverb is very natural. // 8

Sound: I play a 2003 Epi G-400 with lots of pickup and electronics modifications. When I got it I played a lot of rock and alt. but since then I've gotten more into jazz and blues and the clean channel on the amp isn't well suited to such things. The distortion channel is perfect, fat, thick, very adjustable, and very clear. It's pretty well definied at low volume so you don't have to blow your eardrums to get great sound. The distortion is well suited to modern rock applications, but the contour dial allows you to turn the distortion from thick, classic Marshall to brutal metal crunch. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a very reliable and durable amp. I took it to college and it served as a seat, lamppost, cabinet amoung other things when it wasn't being used for it's primary purpose, and it still sounds and looks Brand New. It's held together very well, and it's pretty light so it's portable, sorta. // 10

Overall Impression: In the end, this amp wasn't a good match for me, so I'm selling it in favor of a Fender Hot Rod or a Vox AC15. It's great for beginner rockers and it's mad cheap for the label it's coming from. It's not as cool as an Orange and not as versatile as a Fender but if you love Marshall, this is the bedroom amp for you. // 7

MG30DFX Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on may 31, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This amp has two channels, clean and overdrive. The overdrive channel is very versatile. I play blues and rock. I can easily ajust the overdrive channel to suite that. You can ajust the clean channel a lot as well, which supprised me. It also has two Digital FX knobs. This amp also has a headphone jack. I'm using it as my house amp. It's power is perfect as a house amp. I am unaware what year this amp was made in. I do wish it came with a footswitch (it does have a footswitch jack). Untill I get one, I'll have to switch channels with my hand. // 9

Sound: I'm using this amp with my Epiphone G-310 with it's stock pickups and this amp goes along perfectly. It can get a little noisy on high gain levels. I have gotten some B.B. King sounds out of this amp as well as a little Metalica. The gain is really brutal if you add some contour. If you take the amp outside and turn the clean volume all the way up you get some mild overdrive. To make it nice and simple, all Marshall amps have a great sound, no questions asked. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can remember on a few occasions when I was playing on the overdrive channel but the amp automatily switched to clean. That usually happended when I was playing on high gain levels. That problem went away with time. I wouldn't take this to a gig because the wattage isn't high enough. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years and I own a Epiphone G-310, a Dunlop Crybaby, and a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I play rock and blues and Marshall goes along great. If it where stolen or lost I'd buy a new one. I love the sound and how versatile it is. Marshall is simply the best rock amp out there. Forget Vox, Peavy and Fender. If you want to play rock, one of the requirements is a Marshall amp. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: jamesy15, on august 14, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: The amp was made fairly recently. The amp is not very versatile, as the overdrive channel sounds awful, hence it's difficult to make it sound good, let alone emulate many different styles. It has 2 channels, OD and clean, which are footswitchable. It has a headphone jack and line out, as well as CD in for playing along to tracks. It has digital effects, delay, reverb, chorus and flanger, which have adjustable levels. These effects work well, unlike the rest of the amp. The amp would be ok for home practice if you don't mind making your guitar sound like a cat on a railway. It is solidstate. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a guitar with two humbuckers. The amp sounds awful on overdrive, no matter how much you tweak about with it. One thing I can say is you get good variation from say 0-10 bass and similar, but that's the only plus side. The amp sounds good on clean though. This amp used to sound quite good, until I took it back to the music shop for a repair(more on this is the next section) and they fixed the Contour(mid) control. Before it was fixed, it did nothing at all save for cut the volume out when turned past 9. However, the amp sounded good, and I wondered why everyone hee on UG hated MGs, then it got fixed, it sounded truly awful. It sounded constantly "scooped" and scooped badly as well. It now sounds very flat and thrashy/tacky when on OD. I see why no-one likes them now!! Apparently this amp sounds even worse when turned up, but I haven't played it at past 5 yet. The gain is not very good, it doesn't provide much distortion at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp has no reliability at all! The volume cuts out and goes to about half of what it should be very often, and for no reason. You can just be playing and it will cut out!! Aside from being poorly manufactured and a disgrace, it's also really annoying. The Contour control was also bust, turning it from 0-9 did absolutely nothing, past 9 and it would do it's intended job but it would cut the volume as it does randomly. I got this fixed, which then made the amp sound awful, but it didn't fix the random volume cut outs. // 3

Overall Impression: This truly is an awful amp. Marshall should be ashamed of themsleves for producing something so pathetic. I wish I had researched this product before buying, but I suppose I've learnt my lesson for impulse buying. If it were lost or stolen, I would celebrate by holding a large house party, and I would not buy another ne, nor venture more than 3 feet near to one. I love the look of it? It looks good, but that's all that is good about it. An awful amp. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: hurleydude77, on october 11, 2007

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: This amp is not spanking new, but relatively modern. There aren't many features, but you wouldn't expect many on a 30 watt solid state, ust the three basic EQ regions, gain, and volume. To be honest, it's not very versatile. No matter how you tweak the EQ, and regardless whether you're using a single coil strat or a lespaul with humbuckers, you get pretty much the same sound, unless you turn the mid up all the way but that will sound like crap on any amp. However, the FX are nice, I really like how you can get delay at several different tempos, and the fdd button can give your guitar a more slashy tone, if you like your gain to cut through the air a bit. // 6

Sound: I've used an Epiphone les paul and a Squier stratocaster through this amp for a considerable amount of playing time, probably on average 3 hours a day for the past 2 and a half years. Of course, the strat's single coils sound thinner than the humbuckers on the les paul, but other than that there was a very small difference in tone. The sound sure as hell beat my old Behringer starter pak 15 watt amp, but when I started recording this amp and comparing it to professional recordings I immediately realized how subpar this amp is sound-wise. The clean is really boring with single coils, it sounded alright with my lespaul but that was all the work of the humbuckers. Although marshalls are famous for having plenty of mid range, this MG has too much mid and that definitely makes it a lot less crisp sounding. I often described the recorded sound as "mushy", which nobody understood until they heard it. Also, the gain knob only does half the job: it does increase the sound of action on the guitar (hammer ons, slide ups etc) but it does not make the tone more powerful, you still get the same mushy sound. In addition, there's no such thing as light gain on this amp, so open chords don't sound very good, even if you turn the gain down and turn your guitar's volume knob down. However, I've done some research and it turns out that most solid state amps have these same problems, and as far as solid states go the Marshall MG series is actually pretty good. But still, the only times I was impressed with the sound were when I first got it (because it was replacing a really crappy amp) and when I got my les paul (the alnico classic humbuckers work wonders on any amp). Overall a very average sound. If I could compare it to anything, it really sounds like Journey's guitars sound on "Any Way You Want It". If you're happy with that then more power to ya but I play modern pop-punk/alternative rock/indie, which requires a much more crisp modern sound. If you play my stuff get the AVT20X instead as a practice amp. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for almost 3 years, and haven't had any problems. I've heard a lot of complaints from other people but I'm judging this based on my own experience. I've never gigged it, I mean it's not even loud enough for my band's drummer to hear the chord changes when we practice. // 8

Overall Impression: It might be fine for some classic rock but for pop-punk the sound was decent at best. I just bought a Marshall AVT valvestate 2000 stack and I'm a hell of a lot more impressed with that. If you're a beginner you won't be unsatisfied but there are a few better options for similar price ranges. // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: drol_52, on november 09, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Features: It has 2 channels-clean and overdrive. It has a footswitch pedal input, a CD in jack (for plugging in iPods etc) and a headphone output. And of course, the all-important input. It has reverb, chorus, delay and flanger that are easy to use. It also has FDD (Frequency Dependency Damping). // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG321MH. With my old guitar the amp sounded a bit limited, but the Ibanez unleashes the distortion for awesome metal tones. I play mostly metal, and it'll make anything sound good. I play a bit of rock aswell, and the amp suits it well. The clean channel is a bit limited though-only 3 controls. Also, through headphones it is a lot quieter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems with it, although I have heard bad things about it's reliability. I can't say I take care of it much, but I don't neglect it. I don't chuck it around, infact, it hasn't moved in a year. But I don't do the whole put the controls to 0 kind of stuff. That's just me being lazy. But anyway, I've had no problems with the reliability. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good amp for metal and rock. The clean channel is also good for bluesy stuff, or jazz or whatever. I've been playing about 2 and a half years now, and have a cheap distortion pedal and I'm planning on getting a wah pedal soon. I'm not the most experienced in amps but I know that this is a good one. If it were stolen, I would consider either I higher range one, or maybe consider something else like a Line6 Spider III. Or I would just find and kill whoever stole it. // 9

MG30DFX Reviewed by: stephen_rettie, on november 26, 2007

Purchased from: Dogfunk

Features: This is a 30w solid state amp with a 10 inch speaker and 2 channels, clean and overdrive. The clean has treble, bass and volume. The OD channel has treble, bass, contour, gain, and volume. It also has some FX, such as reverb, chorus, flange and phaser. Finally there is an FDD switch, which to this day I have yet to find a use for. There are plenty of features to play with, except middle, which, call me crazy, I like to be able to adjust. // 7

Sound: I use this with an Ibanez RG350DX, I know this isn't an amazing guitar but it's even worse when paired with this amp. I play a wide range of styles, blues to metal and this amp can handle none of them well. There is no light overdrive for dirty blues as it goes from clean to way too distorted, way too fast. It can't handle rock as this amp has no tone, and it can't handle metal because although the distortion sounds heavy, it lasts about 2 seconds and then dies, it's hard to explain and painful to hear. This amp does sound moderatly better at higher volumes, but it's then it's too loud for bedroom practice, and you just shouldn't gig with this or even use it for band practice. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Once again I cannot fault this as it has never let me down, even though I dearly wish it would, to the question, 'Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup?' I simply wouldn't gig with it, I'd rather play unplugged and jump around stage like a retard then try and look professional with an MG, it makes me sick that some ppl buy the halfstack version of this. // 9

Overall Impression: Marshall has fallen, a long way, I nearly lost faith in them, but I bought a JCM900 and now I see what's happened, they have attempted to emulate their classic tube sound with these and failed horribly. My main problem is they continue to make them, and use Zakk wylde and Kerry King to sell them to unsuspecting budding guitarists. Don't buy this amp, buy a small Laney tube combo, they are affordable and perfect for bedroom practice. // 3

MG30DFX Reviewed by: mogaz, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Marshall.com

Features: The MG30DFX is a fantastic amplifier which gives any beginner or intermediate what they want. The amp is the best amp that I have played with for my style of music which are: classic rock, alternative rock and some heavy metal. You can produce sounds of your favourite artists like I do with Hendrix and Eric Clapton. It has 10 diiferent knobs to choose your sound from. If you also want to keep your sounds to yurself there is a headphone jack. All the features are fine for me and I think they should be fine for any other user. I use my amp in my room and in my friends basement for my band practice. It gives me more than enough power to rock out and especially tonnes more than I need for my room. // 10

Sound: The guitars I am using for this amp are a Fender Squire and an Oldfield Elctric Acoustic. I use the elctric guitar for my most favourite guitarist, Angus Young and the acoustic for my acoustic artist, Santana and Clapton. It can be noisy but only if someone else says so, it allows you to rock out at your own pace and noise. The amp can make many varieties of sounds as the 10 different knobs will show with overdrive, delay, etc. If you do use the clean channel, it will still be the same on a high volume, it will not become distorted. The distortion can become brutal in different settings as you also can buy a distortion pedal for 12 when you buy the amp (prices may vary in different countries and stores). // 10

Reliability & Durability: As an intermediate player I can depend on this amp through gigs and practice. But if you want to take part in a big gig you may want to consider a back up. My amp has never broke down on me and I have never occured a break down. After 2 and 1/2 years of having the MG30DFX, it has never broke. // 10

Overall Impression: I have mentioned my style of music earlier on in the review so this ampilfier is a good match for my styles. I have been playing for about 2-3 years now and I used to own a Fender amlpifier, I wouldn't recommend those! I have a Fender Squire Sunburst and an Oldfield Elctric Acoustic, also a G1 Effects Pedal, I would reccomend one of these! If it were lost or stolen I would buy a different electric guitar as I have owned this one for 2 and 1/2 years. All the others I would re-buy. I love the look of the amp with the metal knobs and metal strip. My favourite feature are the golden knobs. I compared this amp with a Vox amp. I chose this one as I believed it could give me the sound I wanted instead of just one variety. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: nikola2706, on march 17, 2008

Purchased from: Music Shop "Geiger"

Features: The amp was apparently made somewhere around 2005 or 2006 in India, I think, even thought it was designed in the Marshall headquarters in England. I usually play metal, hard rock and sometimes clean. The amp has nice sound and if you know how to use it will fit your style perfectly. It's not a bas amp at all for it's price. It has multiple digital effects (Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flange) with an FX level knob (the control of the effect level) but what's bad about it is that you can only use one effect at a time. It has a clean channel with a volume, treble and contour controls and a second, overdrive channel with Drive, bass, contour, treble and ofcourse, a volume control. You get also a CD in port and a headphone/line out port. The speciality of the mg family, together with the digital effects is the tube simulator on the solid state amps from this family. It gives a nice bass line to the sound. I usually use this amp to practice at home, or to play with my friends, I still haven't gigged with it, but I suppose it would do the thing. The clean and the overdrive channel are nicely equaled, so you don't get the one louder from the other at the same volume level setting. You also have a footswich input for the pedal, but the pedal doesn't come with it, so you need to buy one if you want to change sounds quickly. // 8

Sound: I am using a Coxx explorer with two fat humbuckers and it really does the trick. I also have a Tenson beginer's guitar, but I have never tried that guitar on this amp. If you wanna play hard, this amp is for you. It has a nice distorsion/overdrive sound and it delivers a really good tone if you play rock as well. If you wish to add a nice bass line to your playing just engage the FDD (tube simulator) which is a really good way to get that Marshall sound you are looking for. It took me a while to find a perfect tone for my guitar, but now I think it's really good. The clean sound of this amp is done good. Combined with the effects you can get an athmospheric sound, or a slight crunch if you pass over the half of the volume knob which can be taken as an advantage or a disadvantage. This amp is capable of making very different sounds and if you are someone sticking to a same sound, I recommend it to you. I also have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distorsion pedal, which sounds quite nice with this amp. The only thing I don't like is that the same settings on a low volume and a high volume don't sound the same, and then you are obliged to change your setings to adjust to the volume level. The distorsion can get quite brutal if you go near the max tone settings, which is good if you are a headbanger player. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that you can definitelly depend on this amp. It doesn't show any problems to me yet, but I have only been using it for less than a year, so I hope everything stays the same. Nothing hapens to it even if you drop what happened to me once (not on purpose). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost two years now. I used to have a Tenson amp before, which compared to this one, looks like a baby. I have seen many and have tried many differet amps as I have been born with amps surrounding me. The only thing I regret about it is the fact you can't use more effects at a time and that it doesn't have more effects, but I suppose that's being a bit selfish. I like it because it's a Marshall and because everyone knows about Marshall. It has a sound that fits me well. I really like this amp, but if it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, not because it's bad, just beacause I would invest money into something bigger and better. // 9

MG30DFX Reviewed by: Bridgoford Bill, on april 26, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Base

Features: This mid size solid state combo amp has 2 channels; clean and overdrive. For the clean there are 3 controls; volume, treble and bass (there is space for more controls I such as middle). The overdrive has 5; gain, contour, bass treble and of course volume. The is also an easy to use effects panel with chorous, flanger, delay adn reverb and a fdd Switch. I use this amp for home pratice and small jams with my mates. Overall I say apart from the lack of an included footswitch this amp is easy dial in controls and suits many styles with ease. // 9

Sound: I use my Epiphone Les Paul Standard equiped with a set of hot production line pickups through Boss ME 20 (a very worthy purchase I might add) The gain beign the main thing I jump to is suited for classic rock, blues and almost anyhting but metal. This means that if you are a metal head without a distortion pedal then look somwhere else for ball busting gain. However is classic and contempory rock is your thing then dial the gain mid way and you have instant AC/DC style overdrive. Lower it a little and you get a warm overdrive sound but as you climb the gain then it does little to affect the distortion level. The controls are decent enoguh so you can wrestle most rockin tones out of it. The clean is nice and punchy but not life changing. I play metal and rock so witha little bit of extra oomph from my pedal this amp is great for me. The effects are pretty descent aswell although the flanger is somewhat lacking in thickness. // 8

Reliability & Durability: People are always whining about this amp breaking down and I've gigged with this amp once and it took a drunken kicking form the band and a rowdy crowd member and it's still going strong. I'm not heavy handed but I don't pussy around with the amp. It's always plugged in and ready to go when ever. I would deffinatly gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great amp, not very versatile but that's why god invented pedals, although if it were stolen then I would try another amp out and buy more carfully to suit my taste. But for all you rockers out there then this is top notch practice and small gig amp for your money. // 8

MG30DFX Reviewed by: philipp122, on july 16, 2008

Purchased from: www.Musiciansfriend.com

Features: As far as features go, the MG30DFX is a great amp. The reason I say this is because it's an entry level-priced amplifier that has two foot-switchable channels, four of the most popular effects built right in, and independent controls for both channels. Basically, it introduces you to the important effects and you can get many different sounds out of this amp, even though the sound quality isn't the best. The only thing I was confused about at first was the contour control; I did not know that turning it up actually scoops the mids instead of raising them. It's a solid-state amp, and it cost less than $250, so don't expect amazing tone, but the tone is fairly good. A lot of people will tell you it has horrible tone, but the truth is that the tone (on both channels) is actually pretty good, it's just missing that unique tube Drive, but that's not a big problem with a practice amp. I'mgiving this a 9 because it truly does have many good features, especially for the money. // 8

Sound: I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with the stock Alnico II humbuckers. I play all kinds of music, from blues to metal. To get a good metal sound, I have to scoop the mids and line my guitar through a DS-1, but the amp will play any other kind of music fairly well. Once again, the tone isn't anything amazing, but it is fair, especially considering that it's a <$250 solid-state. It does have a nice punch to it, and that's something you really have to give this amp. It may not have the best sound quality, but it has a lot of spirited punch and Drive and that's something I really like about this amp. It did hum quite a bit at higher volumes (post 6), but I recently purcahsed a long Monster cable and play far away from the amp, and it's relatively quiet now. It can play blues on the clean channel, but even at high volumes with a nice amount of reverb, it's missing quite a bit of soul and doesn't sing as much as I would like, but I hooked it up to my friend's Holy Grail reverb pedal and it ended up having a surprisingly beautiful tone, an astounding, bluesy tone with a nice, concert hall-like reverb to it. The amp's distortion isn't very brutal. It will give you a good overdrive sound, but you can't get a brutal, down-to-earth sound with it unless you hook up a distortion pedal. However, like I said, it has a good punch. It's very loud. It's a 30 watt amp, and 30 watts is all you'llever need from a practice amp. I've never had it past 6.5. The sound quality isn't amazing, but it is fair, and this is a practice amp, so keep that in mind. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Rock solid. This thing get's thrown in the back of my car three times a week and is transported back and forth between my house and my friend's house. It's been accidentally knocked against a door, it fell over in the trunk of the car when we had to brake hard to avoid hitting a deer, the line in jack is plugged and unplugged at least 50 times a week, it's been played for 4 hours straight, I Switch channels all the time, and it hasn't changed a bit since I bought it. It gets the abuse you would expect an amp to get from a teenage musician Who uses it daily, and for me it's been completely relaible and durable. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a great practice amp. It's loud, versatile, durable, and has nice effects built right in, so it really is a great amp for practicing or playing with friends. I wouldn't gig with it because the sound quality isn't as good as the tube amps in its price range. I love it because it's versatile and simple, but the sound won't compare to tube amps. If I lost it, I would buy another simply because it's such an excellent practice tool. Overall, it's a reliable amp with plenty of features that introduces new players to effects and the EQ controls, all while giving plenty of punch and a fair sound. // 9

MG30DFX Reviewed by: stratomaster15, on november 17, 2008

Features: This solid state amp was made in 2003. The versatile amp can easily handle anything from jazz, blues, rock, metal, you name it. There are two channels, clean and overdrive, which you can switch by pushing a button on the amp, or by using a footswitch. The clean channel allows for adding trebble and bass, and the overdrive channel allows for adding gain (obviously), bass, contour and trebble. It also features an Emulated Line Out/Headphones jack and a CD In jack so you can jam to your favorite tunes. The four effects on the amp (reverb, delay, chorus, and flange) are of great quality and allow tweaking the speed and level of the effect. It's lightweight, making it a great amp to travel with, yet it can hold it's own against a band, despite the size. A helpful feature it has is the FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping) Switch that mimics the way a tube amp interacts with the speaker that adds width and depth to the sound. I only wish that it had a jack to connect it to cabinets so I can use it on gigs and blast it's awesome sound! // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster 22-Fret with single coils, and I've also played an Epiphone Les Paul and Explorer through the amp with humbuckers. For all of these guitars it's given great sounds on both channels. For the clean channel with the Strat and the single coils, the clean channel was a bit weak, but I have a feeling it's a problem with that pickup because the middle and bridge pickups worked incredible, and both humbuckers also worked great. The overdrive channel is strong and brutal with any kind of pickup. Just crank the gain up and you've got yourself that great Marshall distortion, no matter what guitar it is. The amp gets a bit noisy on the overdrive channel with high volume and full gain, but you'll only have problems like that if you play things like metal with lots of distortion. The clean channel gets no buzz or unwanted distortion at high volumes. You can get an array of sounds out of it, and you can tweak it a lot so you'll always be pleased with the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for a month or so and I've played it a lot, sometimes on high volume, and it's been the greatest amp ever. I've had no problems with anything what'soever. It's fallen over, had cords ripped out of it, water spilled in it, lots of things, and it doesn't have a scratch or sound defects. I would definately gig with this amp without a backup anyday. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of The Raconteurs and The White Stripes, and I can get a great sound like Jack White's out of it. I play a decent amount of My Chemical Romance and AC/DC and I can get a dead-on sound for both bands. I've been playing for two years and I have learned quite a bit about amps and guitars and I know this is something good. When I went to the store to look for a new amp, I tried a Fender Frontman 15R and a Raven RG60, which were both very good amps, but then I saw this amp. It mainly caught my eye because it was the limited-edition purple one, and I saw that it was Marshall (which I am a big fan of) and had to play it. I was stunned when I played it that it sounded so great that I had to get it. I run an original Dunlop Wah-Wah and a DigiTech Whammy IV pedal through the amp and it sounds incredible. If this thing was stolen or lost I'd probably be very, very sad, and I'd instantly go out and buy it again. I love everything about it. If you need an amp that you can practice and play small gigs with but not burn holes in your pockets, this amp's for you. // 10

MG30DFX Reviewed by: andy-is-g0d, on december 15, 2008

Features: This amp has 2 channels, clean and overdrive along with 4 effects and effects amount knob. it has a tube simulator button, headphone output, CD in and a foot Switch (wasn't supplied) it is a 30 Watt solid state. I'd prefer if it had a separate reverb knob as apposed to 4 effects in one knob and another for the volume of the effect. with the headphone jack you need to turn the volume up a lot to get sound out of it, and at high levels the speaker begins to through out sound too, not loud but it's there. all of the sound should be going out the headphone jack when it's in use. // 7

Sound: I use this signal chain to get the sound I want: - Strat(soon to be replaced by Jackson) - Marshall compressor - Zoom G1X Multi Effects - Marshall MG30 DFX Clean channel: the clean is good, with the aid of my pedal board. but it's not amazing, it has 2 tone knobs the standard Bass and Treble. Overdrive channel: this overdrive is quite good. fiddle around with the knobs for about 11 seconds and you've got it... I do add a bit of distortion on my pedal board to give that little more punch for cutting through. // 9

Reliability & Durability: At first when I got this amp I was thrilled. it was much bigger then my starter amp (Micro Cube) and was a lot louder. But as the time past, the amp started to have problem's, serious ones, at one band practise I had we couldn't use the PA system, so we couldn't mic the amps. so we had to turn up. After a white the top of the amp began to get hot, which doesn't seam to be a big deal. Then... she cuts out! iv got nothing, then it started coughing up bits of sound. this happened for a long time after that practise, until she just gave way. So I got the amp replaced, the exact same model, from the exact same shop, for no price. So this new one worked for a while, by this time I had figured out it was the Headphone out jack that was the problem, if it cut out, I'd have to push the headphone jack at an angle from below to get my signal back to the speaker. and this is where I am now. I hate this amp, it is the second of it's kind to do this to me, so it's not just a once off! // 3

Overall Impression: I play more on the rock and metal side, and have been playing about 5 years now. the amp has a great sound, but it's reliability needs to be taken into account, if this amp was stolen I wouldn't buy it again... I was excited when I got my first one of these (before the free replacement) I loved it, and it was loud, even for band practices with another guitar, bass, and drums I can still be heard. but for gigging if your not micing it, you wont be heard... // 6

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2009

Price paid: £ 129.99

Features: I got this amp well over a year ago and some of the features are quite good such as the knob to change the effects (reverb, delay, chorus and flanger) I play a range of music, rock, punk and metal and I like this amp in particular for the punk rock sound.there are only 2 channel settings (clean and overdrive) and it would be a lot better with a distortion setting or even preset sounds (like the Line 6 series have). There is also a Marshall footpedal that can be purchased seperately, I have never purchased one but I predict it would enrich ones performance whilst playing Live as you could easily Switch between channels without the need to stop playing and pressing the button. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone G400 SG-style guitar with humbucker pickups (I think) and I thought the amp was well suited with my guitar at first but as I got used to it I started to think it wasn't a well match. Firstly, I don't know if it's just me but It takes forever to find the correct sound for what I'm wanting to play and the tone levels, FX etc are quite limited. The clean channel is okay for practicing but it sounds quite poor for gigging. There isn't much to change with the clean channel unless you attach an FX pedal. Volumes: The amp is just 30 Watts which is a good wattage for practicing at home (maybe even a bit too high! ) and okay for practicing in a band to some extent (I found it a bit too quiet when practicing with a drummer). Definately not loud enough to gig with (unless it was a really small gig say 20 people) but still the drummer issue would arise. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I said at the start I bought this amp over a year ago and it has lasted me quite long but a few months ago something wnt wrong. When playing with the amp the volume becomes extremely low (even when turned up full) so I need to kick the amp a bit to get the correct volume but the need to do this is quite often so I end up kicking the amp more than playing the guitar which is quite frustrating. As a result of this I have given up using this amp and has given me doubts about Marshall products (which I have always respected as a high valued brand). // 4

Overall Impression: I'd say this amp is a good amp for practicing with alone at home but not really for in a band and definately not for gigging. If mine was stolen I would not buy it again as it's features are limited and the reliability of mine was obviously poor (I'd feel sorry for whomever stole it). // 5

MG30DFX Reviewed by: FatalityMetal, on november 09, 2009

Features: The MG30DFX's features are decent. It has two channels (clean and Drive, obviously) but doesn't come with a footswitch. The clean channel has volume, treble and bass settings, and the Drive channel has gain, contour, treble, bass and volume settings. This amp has an 'FDD' setting, which seems to make minimal difference to the tone, but enhances it to a small extent. It also has in built digital effects. They're a bit of fun to play around with, but I wouldn't use them seriously for recording or gigging (not that I would gig with this amp anyway.) // 7

Sound: I use a Dean ML X with dual humbuckers. When I first got this amp (it was my first amp) I was more than happy with the gain and tone produced by it. However, after a while I noticed that the amp can't hold high notes at all, they either go crackly, or make it sound like a weak flanger effect is being used (and no, I did not have the flanger effect on at the time.) The gain is extremely weak, and the amount of gain does not change at all between 7 and 10. I barely use the clean channel, but it doesn't seem as good as it should be. For The Music I play (thrash metal, heavy metal, death metal) this amp doesn't make the cut. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I obviously would not gig with this amp. Even if it was powerful enough for a small gig, I wouldn't trust it. I've had it cut out numerous times while playing, and it seems to be happening more often lately. The contour knob fell off completely, which I had to put back on (not a big thing, but still a minor inconvenience.) It hasn't ever completely broken down, but play it for more than an hour at a time and it'll slowly lose sound quality, and eventually stop giving any sound at all. If, and when, this happens, just turn it on and off. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall I'm somewhat happy with this amp. It suited my needs as a beginner guitarist, and I would recommend it to beginners, as long as they can get it cheap. If it were stolen, I'd save up and buy a tube combo, maybe one of the AVT series. My favourite feature would probably be the delay effect. It provides me countless hours of fun, and is probably the most decent feature on the amp. // 7

MG30DFX Reviewed by: legalintheuk, on september 29, 2010

Purchased from: Private Sale

Features: Features... ehhh... It's the worst choice I've made in my four years of guitar. It's got two channels, clean and overdrive... Both are less than average for me. Clean channel broke after 1 use and the distortion's on the way out and it's only 4 months old. If you play anything similar to Green Day/My Chemical Romance/Old Punk Rock, this is NOT the amp for you. It has terrible gain... Tones... You can get maybe one decent tone out of this, and even then it's not amazing. // 2

Sound: I'm using a mixture of a Gibson '77 Dot and a PRS Tremonti SE. They both sound mediocre through the Marshall. It's unbelievable. Every pickup is the same, crap tone. And it's not the guitars because I've tried them both with the MG100HDFX half stack and it's a great sound. The overdrive channel makes a constant noise, no other amp I've had does this, the clean channel, as said, is broken... When it worked, wasn't amazing. Distortion is rubbish. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Can't rely on this amp, I wouldn't consider to use it at a gig even if I did have a backup. It's dreadful, a disgrace for Marshall in my opinion. It hasn't broken down, apart from the channels messing up. Not been negelected at all. Done everything you should: turn it off when plugging in/out and the like. It's still rubbish. // 2

Overall Impression: What do I wish it had? Everything it doesn't - good tone, clean channel that works. If I had the choice of this amp and any other amp in a similar price range, I'd buy the other amp. It's dreadful. Get's extremely hot after around 10 mins of use and heatsink has been checked and no problems can be found, so God knows what's wrong. Dreadful amp. Don't buy it. // 1

MG30DFX Reviewed by: TheCronan, on november 10, 2011

Purchased from: Fretz

Features: - 30 watts - Twin footswitchable channels - Clean & Overdrive - Independent tone controls for Bass & Treble on each channel - Contour Control for dramatic mid sweep and 'scooping' - Emulated Line Out jack and Headphone jack - CD input which allows you to play along to your favourite discs - Built-in Digital Effects - Reverb, Chorus, Flange and Delay - 10" custom-voiced speaker - FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping) // 7

Sound: I used this amp exclusive with humbucker pickups, specifically my PRS SE Jack Tremonti. I like rock and blues, and when it worked this amp was OK, especially when using the clean channel with a distortion pedal. The clean channel starts to clip at about 6.5, and it's a nasty sound, making this amp useless for gigging really, despite the 30W. I really don't like the sound of the Overdrive channel at all, I never really used it, it's more a fuzz than what I think of as overdrive. The amp is also pretty quiet. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would never depend on this amp. It's had problems ever since I bought it. The amp has spent most of its life safe and warm in my front room, and still it breaks down. What happens is that the volume starts getting louder then softer, unpredictably, as the amp warms up. You then pay 40 to get it fixed, it lasts for 6 months, then comes back again. What a waste of money. I regret buying it, very much. // 1

Overall Impression: Stay away from this amp unless you like frustration and wasting money. // 1

MG30DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2011

Features: So I play death metal, melodic death metal, progressive metal and sometimes industrial metal aswell, and the MG's perfectly fine for those genres as far as I'm concerned, not quite a Line6 but better than an MG1000DFX. I use this amp in my bedroom primarily for practise, so it's powerful enough for what I do with it. There's a big hole in the back where I store sh-t aswell, which is useful (although I'm sure that's not why it's there). // 6

Sound: I use an ESP LTD M200FM and an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic with EMG 81 and 85 on the ESP and Seymour Duncan pickups on the Les Paul, which I find is pretty much perfect for the style of music I play. I've managed to get the distortion to sound pretty good. To achieve decent distortion with this amp, you don't need everything turned up as high as you think. I hardly ever use the clean channel on any amp, really, so I've nothing to compare it with. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I keep reading reviews in which people say that their Marshall MG30dDFX keeps breaking down or some shit. You must be doing something wrong because I've had this amp for about six years now and not once have I had a single problem with it. Not once. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't try to perform live with it. It is, after all, a practise amp. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a decent amp, not quite a Line6 but better than an MG1000. I've been playing for seven years, give or take, and for six of those I've had this amp and I have no qualms with it, what'soever. It sounds good, it hasn't broken down, it works with various styles of metal. Although, I wish the FX were better. But yeah, it's a good practise amp but for anything other than that, I'd say look elsewhere. // 5

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Haze 40 7.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014