MG30FX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 08/09/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG30FX
If you are a Marshall fan and don't play heavy music I guess you will like it, but its tones variety is quite limited.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
reviews (5) pictures (2) 49 comments vote for this gear:
MG30FX Reviewed by: Viotto, on june 16, 2010

Price paid: € 235

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: The MG FX series have been developed by Marshall and released in 2009, in order to replace the older MG DFX series. It has got 4 selectable and programmable channels, organized in 2 buttons. Left button is used to Switch between: -Clean (green light) -Crunch (red light) Right button is used for: -Overdrive 1 (green light, less heavy sound) -Overdrive 2 (red light, heaviest sound) This amplifier has got also 5 effects: - An independent reverb, with its own knob; - Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, on same knob so it is not possible to use more then one of them at same time. The delay interval can be adjusted using the Tap button. Each channel can be used in manual mode, or you can adjust your settings and save them with Store button (preset mode). Presets will record all knobs positions except Master Volume knob, which value is not changed among presets. So since you have 4 channels, you can store 4 differents presets, so you can configure each channel with the sound you like most. It has got a jack input, an MP3 line in, a headphones line, and a foot controller input, that can be used with the MG Footcontroller (not included). This amplifier is not so loud being a 30W, volume range is perfect for home use but I don't think it is able to reach high volumes compared to other 30W amplifiers. // 7

Sound: Clean channel is good, even better sometimes if used with some reverb / chorus. I am using a not expensive Ibanez but quite reliable and suited for metal too. Since I play mostly metal and metalcore, I wanted also a good distortion. And here comes the problem: distortion is way too light. Even with Overdrive 2 channel (the heaviest of the 4 channels) I can't manage to obtain a powerful distortion, I expected more from a >200 amplifier. Its bass is powerful and you can easily feel it, by the way you can turn it down if you want to obtain an harsher, less soft sound. I felt the reverb and flanger effects too light, even turned at maximum they aren't so much intense. Volume is not so powerful either, there are much louder amplifiers in its same power range. Maybe with overdrive or similar effects pedals you can obtain a good powerful distortion, but I didn't plan to buy all different kinds of pedals while there was the Peavey Vypyr 30W at the same price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: In the only day I've been testing it, it seemed quite durable, not many bells & whistles, covered back, robust knobs. I feel it can last for long, seems quite sturdy. // 8

Overall Impression: Good clean, organic sound, but bad distortion and few tone variety. I think if you play lighter music (jazz, blues, up to rock), you will like it, but if you want more distortion, heavier sound, I would go for a different amplifier. In fact, the day after I bought it and spent much time testing it, I was unsatisfied and decided that this amplifier wasn't for me. I returned to the shop and exchanged it with a Peavey Vypyr 30W and now I am happy, more variety of sounds and much more features. If you are a Marshall fan and don't play heavy music I guess you will like it, but its tones variety is quite limited, exspecially compared to the Peavey Vypyr, which can produce a wide amount of different sounds, being a good modelling amplifier. In the same range (30W, around 200) I think the Peavey Vypyr 30W, exspecially if you play metal and similar genres, is a better choice. But if you want a standard, sturdy and durable amplifier, without lots of effects and features for you unnecessary (or you already have all the pedals you need) then go for it. // 7

MG30FX Reviewed by: loserke30, on july 23, 2010

Price paid: € 199.99

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Marshall MG30FX is great! I think it was made in 2009 but I'm not shure, most of the time I play Heavy-Metal, Punk, Hardcore and Punk-Rock but you can use it for everything! It has 4 channels (1 clean, 1 crunch, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2 ( OD1 is the more heavy one)), when I recieved it after 2 days from Germany (wich is really quick) it came in a box full of bubblewrap and a handling guide. The amp is 30 watts but I compared it to a Line 6 Spider 3 60 watt and it's almost the same. You can also use a Marshall channel pedal for 40. // 10

Sound: Since I play more of the heavy stuff (Heavy-Metal, Hardcore) I use OD2 or the clean channel with a distortion pedal and it's just awesome. You can crank the amp really loud but when you have a cheaper guitar (like me, a epi Special II that soon will be an ESP) I can give a buzz or a really high squeak, you should play in a closed room or if you play outside when it isn't moist.. But if you got a decent guitar it should work just fine. You can get a really nice clean sound from it or a nice crunch sound or a high scooped distortion and many more! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I allready used it on a gig and I didn't had any problems with it. But you need to use correct settings to get a nice live sound. You can use this amp for private use or you can play it just fine in a band. So far I didn't have any problems with it and I play it for about 8 months. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Heavy-Metal, Hardcore and Punk and this amp is a great match. Even with a cheaper guitar you can get the quality from the amp! If it was stolen I would probably get a marhall stack becaus it can pump some air, but if I didn't had the money I would definatly buy it again. I kinda hate the high squease when it's moist but with a better guitar you won't have that problem. It's a great amp for it's price and I recommend you to buy it! (Sorry if I spelled alot wrong but I don't live in America or England) // 9

MG30FX Reviewed by: Explorer939, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: Music Centre

Features: This amp is great! It is 70 watts and I reckon this was made in 2009. This is really versatile: it has 2 distortion channels (OD1 & OD2), 4 effects, and clean and crunch channels. I play Metal and rock, and this amp is perfect for these styles, although I would recommend you add a distortion pedal, as the distortion isn't that harsh. It has 4 channels-clean, crunch and 2 distortion channels. There is a headphone Jack and an mp3 Jack. There's a tuner in the amp, and an optional footswitch. The cool thing about the amp is that you can 'dial' in your tone, and save it. I wish the distortion would be heavier, though... // 9

Sound: I run a Yamaha ERG121c through mine. Like I said earlier, this amp suits the styles that I play. There isn't any noisy feedback at all, and the sound quality is excellent! This amp can be used for a variety of styles, rock, metal, blues, country, you name it! All you have to do is just tweak the controls a bit, and, voila, you'll have the sound you want! The manual that comes with this amp shows you how to get different sounds, e.g- High gain solo, raw crunch.etc. The amp has 4 effects: chorus, phaser, flanger and programmable delay. The distortion isn't that mean. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this baby, and I'll use it without a backup, if I ever perform live, or in a gig. I got this new, like, a month ago, so it hasn't really broken down yet, but I'm sure it'll never do so. // 10

Overall Impression: Like, I said, my amp suits my styles of music. I've been playing for over a year now, although, I've had this for about a month, now. If this were stolen, I would hunt down the cheap person and, well, you get the picture. I love everything about it: the looks, the sound, the features, it's just awesome!!! I just want harsher distortion, I have no other complaints. Well then, that's about it. Hope you this was comprehensive enough! // 9

MG30FX Reviewed by: gradcore, on january 28, 2011

Price paid: C$ 235

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

Features: This amp was made in 2009 and considering all of the people bashing on this amp; I've been playing for 3 years now and I actually quite like it for its affordability for a Marshall, even if its Solid State. It has a 3 band EQ (Bass, Treble, and Middle), gain, reverb, Master Volume, Volume, and four build in FX; though the FX are rotten. This amp has 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, OD1, and OD2. To sum up the features I would have to say it has a decent amount for the price paid, but the quality brings it down a lot. // 6

Sound: With this Marshall MG30FX I have three guitars: an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (stock pickups), an Ibanez RG370DX (EMG 81 + 85), and a Jay Tursor Strat Copy (Stock Pickups). For some reason I get a lot of feedback from this amp with all of my guitars except my Ibanez but I assume this is because it has EMG's in it. I've tried my other guitars with my other amps and I don't get nearly as much feedback. Surprisingly this amp actually suits my playing style. I play a limited few genres from Guns N' Roses to Metallica and that's about it; they all seem to sound relatively the same. I can easily tap into the sounds I play but if you are into some extreme Deathmetal or Trashmetal this amp is definately not for you. Its good for hard rock\heavy metal but not much else. Very limited versatility. The Clean Channel is horrible compared to other solid state amps around the price range. Crunch is surprisingly not that bad, you can get some neat sounds out of it. OD1 I don't use too much so I can't say anything bad and OD2 you get a really good Slash tone out of it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for almost two years now and the only problem I've had sofar was when on the clean channel when you strum your barre chords "hard" it cuts out on me. But the amp has been like that since new so I would say it could just be mine? Other than that this amp is build like a tank. Its been thrown into snowbanks; fell down stairs; survived a ride home sliding around in the back of my truck and much much more without any problems. // 8

Overall Impression: This is actually a great practice amp for me. It fits my sound perfectly but I know for a fact it does not suit most other guitar players needs. For other amps I own a Fender Frontman 10G which used to be my practice amp until I got this and I own a Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt tubed which I use as my main amp. I wish I would of returned this one and got another before the warranty ran out just because of the clean channel issue I've been having but other than that no regrets. If it were stolen or lost I probably wouldn't replace it at all; it has no soft spot in my heart, it isn't great; its just an affordable solid state Marshall amp. // 8

MG30FX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2012

Features: I was pleasantly surprised with the features on this amp. It is 70W and I think made in 2009. It has a clean and crunch channel, plus 2 overdrive channels. There is a 3 band EQ (bass, mid, treble), gain, master volume, channel volume, FX (chorus, phaser, flanger and delay). The effects aren't the best so I would suggest adding pedals to it if you need any. I play metal and rock and to be honest the distortion isn't too bad although not particularly 'heavy'. There is a headphone jack and an MP3 jack, the MP3 jack being quite useful for playing along to songs or just listening to music in general. There is also a tuner and a store function where you can select the default effects added to each channel.Lastly there is a foot controller option. // 7

Sound: The sound is really quite good on this amp. I mainly run two guitars through it, an Ibanez SAS36QM and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Both sound great. I don't get much feedback despite often practising quite close to the amp. I also do not get much buzz either. I would say the easiest sound to get out of this amp is a 'blues' kind of sound but with the right settings, you can play pretty much anything through it. The clean channel does not become too distorted when you crank up the volume but the distortion is pretty mild so for playing heavier rock/metal, you may also want to invest in a pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So, this is the point that lets the entire amp down for me. I cannot depend soly on this amp and if I were to play it at a gig, I would definitely feel the need for a backup. The input jack falls through constantly. Which wouldn't matter too much but it literally takes forever to fix. Once you have fixed it again, you have about 3 hours max before it decides to fall through again. In terms of wiring, I haven't had a problem and I guess it may be a one off problem but just something to bare in mind. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and although this amp probably wouldn't be my first choice for these styles, it would be up there. I have been playing for 8 years and I also have a Line 6 Spider IV 150 watt. The Marshall does not compare to the Line 6 but there is a severe difference in price between the two. If this amp were stolen/lost I would probably look to buy a different amp. The falling through jack input is a pain but overall it is not a bad amp however I would prefer it to have more effects (not something you often get on a Marshall). // 6

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014