MG412 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/05/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG412
The most affordable Marshall 4 x 12" guitar cabinets ever! 8 ohm, 120-watt loaded with 4 custom Celestion speakers. This is the ideal guitar cabinet for the awesome MG100HDFX guitar head.
 Features: 7.5
 6.8
 7.9
 5.6
reviews (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
MG412 Reviewed by: maverick_137, on june 12, 2008

Features: I am not sure which year this amp was made in and it Is a very versatile amp. Though this is a versatile amp it is mostly just a generic cabinet. I wish I could wire it to another cab but there's only one input and that's it. It's 120 watts so it's super loud whichi is always nice. It can sometimes be overkill because I use it in my bedroom. I kinda wish it had a little less, but for 120 wattts it's a super light cabinet. // 6

Sound: I plug in with a Brian Moore with a raised JB in the bridge I mostly play metal and I play through a Pocket POD. This thing has some regular 412 punch but doesn't steal any brightness. It's not hummy and never has been. Depending on the head this cab can do anything. It seems to be to powerful on clean parts but the distortion is great. Since I run this amp through a Crate (thumbs down) I can get the best out of this amp. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would use it at a gig without a backup and have. It is relatively simple so it doesn't brake down that easy. I don't use it that much and it's in perfect condition. It has celestion 70 eighties in it so it is super reliable. Never been serviced but I have only had it for a year. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and that's a great match for me. I have been playing for a year and I have already stated my main gear. The only thing I regret about this cab is the head I put on it. If it were lost or stolen (I don't know how you could just lose a cab) I probably would get something better. I don't really like the pure sound quality because it's kind of muddy. I like that it has celestions in it though. I didn't really compare it with anything when I bought it and I wish I spent more money. I wish it had alnico gold's with a Mesa Boogie tri-rec head but we can all dream. // 7

MG412 Reviewed by: Thugjitsu, on february 05, 2009

Features: I'm not sure what year this cab was made but it's withstood the test of time that I've had it (2yrs) it's pretty versatile for what I do. It has plenty power to complement my Crate XT120R at 120 watts. I don't like that I can't run another cab in to it for more of a richer sound but that's a small problem that I can get over. // 9

Sound: I play metal for the most part which is totally fine for these speakers. It goes well with pedals also if you choose to do so. I can get great distortion at high volumes but have to be pretty far from the amp if I don't want a ton of feedback. I guess around 2 o clock is where it starts to break up on the stack. I also play hip hop and R&B with the clean side I can't say to much about it. But it does get the job done. If you want clean sparkling tones off of this cab you might want to look into effects pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Other than a few blemishes this cab can take the beating that I have dished out to it in 2 years. I say it's well made but not with the most quality of parts. I've had to re-tighten the plastic nut on the speaker jack. People Who tour heavy can depend on this amp but might wanna bring a wrench on the road with em. I had to fix mine in the middle of a show once. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this amp for everything it is. What other Marshall can you get for this cheap. The sound is way worth way more than what I paid for it. It matches my style, amp, needs as a musician perfectly. I've been playing for 6 years and I can't say I've heard a better amp than mine for under 500 bucks. I use a Jackson JS1 with EMGz in it. I'm thinking about drilling my Crate XT120R together with my Marshall MG412 so no one can steal it. I wish I had asked the guy I bought it from if he could get be a better of a deal. I hate nothing about this amp. There is not any real features I can speak of. When I was shopping for cabs. I was looking at the Crate line of cabs they had the matching speakers for my amp. But I was attracted to Marshall for 2 reasons. One I wanted the full 120 watts on my cab to really get everything my amp was putting out. Two I really wanted Celestion made speakers. Marshall was the right choice for me. I wish it had the ability to go in to stereo mode though. O well. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.7 Guitar Amplifiers 12/26/2014