MG50FX Review

7.9
 7.8
reviews (4) pictures (1) 37 comments vote for this gear:
MG50FX Reviewed by: WolfRev, on may 14, 2010

Features: I don't know the exact date the amp was made but it seems to be fairly recent. Versatility? I wouldn't say that's one of this amp's strong points. I'm experimenting with a number of different styles at the moment and this amp has been a real struggle to get the tone I needed. It does put out an ok crunch/overdrive type sound with some tweaking but otherwise you'll be lucky to get the tone you want. The amp comes with 4 channels, fully customisable and footswitchable which are by default: Clean, Crunch, Overdrive and Overdrive 2. It includes a feature Marshall calls Frequency Dependant Damping which is supposed to make the amp behave more as if it were a tube amp but its still blatantly solid state. The output to the speaker can be easily detached to allow you to hook this thing up to a different cabinet should you wish to. Also included is an MP3 in, good for playing along and an emulated 1/8' headphone jack which ends up sounding dramatically different to what you'd hear coming from the amp normally. There are some built in effects including Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Reverb etc but I tend to stay away from those as they are pretty poor and sacrifice tone too much. One thing I will say is that this thing is loud and could be used for gigging. Much over 1/4 on the Master volume and the neighbours start complaining. That being said, it doesn't exactly sound great at high volume. // 4

Sound: I'm using a Les Paul copy by Rally (GL-400) with some generic covered humbuckers. When trying to do punk rock etc on the overdrive channel this amp reaches somewhere from O.K to Good. Once you try a style that needs a clean sound, you're out of luck. By default the amp puts a chorus effect on the clean channel which in my opinion ruins it (a bad chorus effect but it may appeal to some). Effects can be disabled by hitting the FX button but you're still left with a lacking and honestly unacceptable tone. Perhaps if you've got enough time to tweak the hell out of this thing you might get a slightly better result. The crunch channel is ok but lacks the diversity that you would get from a tube amp which leaves it feeling somewhat redundant. Ticking over on clean on even a low volume, this thing emits a loud buzz worsened only by the effects that always seem to turn themselves back on. Overdrive 2 at loud levels is something you want to stay far away from. Distortion is ok on this amp but lacks the depth and soul that you'd get from a tube amp. However, for a solid state amp, it's passable. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Though it feels cheap to the touch, it's fairly heavy and seems quite well built. I've had no problems with the amp so far apart from an issue with the footswitch which was simply a contact problem and was likely a one-off. Right now I've got nothing else to gig with so I'd have no choice but to use it. However, given the circumstances, I think I'd be safe gigging with it and not needing a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this naively thinking that I'd get some kind of tone reminiscent of the more pricey Marshall amps. I was wrong. I mainly play punk and general rock where I need a good overdriven tone but that's something I've yet to find with this amp. I've been playing for around 5 years now but have only been really getting into playing over the last 2 years which is when I started to become aware about equipment and how it influenced your tone. When I purchased this, I did so on the hope that the brand name would provide which I'm sad to say it didn't. If this were stolen I would definitely not get another. There are plenty of options out there that provide much more versatility and can get you closer to that Marshall tone than this can. If you're looking at buying this amp and/or are looking for a 50 watt combo around 200 I'd recommend you check out the Vox Valvetronix instead of this. Clearly, brand name is not everything. // 5

MG50FX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2010

Features: I mainly play Classic rock songs through this amp. I play alot of Guns N Roses/Slash material and this is a pretty good amp to accommodate this style. It has around 4 channels and lots of effects such as tap delay, chorus, flanger and phaser. It also has an MP3 line in, headphone jack and also a footswitch jack. This amp came with a standard 2 way footswitch by Marshall but upgrading this to the digital 4 way footswitch is a good idea. I personally didn't really see the point in the 2 way footswitch. This amp packs 50watts and this is MORE than enough for gigging or playing in your room! // 9

Sound: This amp has an amazing sound! I have a number of guitars but the main one I play through this amp is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with upgraded Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 'Slash' humbuckers. This amp really does scream! You don't need the volume that high in order for this amp to wail! It sounds very nice in both clean and distortion! The amp does tend to buzz a lot which is only a slight downside. I'm still searching for that Slash tone on this amp but with this not being a valve amp...this may be quite hard to find! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig with this amp! It packs tons of power and sounds amazing! It is a little on the heavy side as it is a relatively large amp. This amp hasn't let me down as of yet! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great model amp from Marshall. I only wish I'd looked online first before purchasing this amp from a store because there is an online retailer that actually give you the 4 way footswitch with the amp, and not the standard 2 way footswitch I got with it. I think I would buy one of these again if anything happened to it. This is my first Marshall amp that I've owned and I have to say... I now know why many musicians around the world use Marshall! It really is a superb amp! If this amp just had a tube inside it much like the Vox VT range, to try and get that tube sound then it would be perfect! Overall, definitely an amp to have a look at! // 10

MG50FX Reviewed by: BradIon1995, on october 30, 2012

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Rockshop

Features: I'm gonna start by saying I got this for NZD$700, there's no setting for New Zealand currency. No idea when the amp was made, made in Vietnam. This amp's fairly versatile for my style, I play mainly Metal with Neo-Classical leads, and also Glam, Punk, Blues and a bit of fingerstyle. It's a four channel amp with Clean, Crunch, OD1 and OD2, it also has an effects loop, reverb, chorus, phaser, flanger and delay, a headphone out jack (though I wish it were the "bigger" kind) and an aux input. There's a feature called Frequency Damping which when activated highlights the treble and bass frequencies for a more "Modern" sorta sound. The effects are alright, not really recording quality but you can get away with it in the bedroom or at casual jams, I wish it had adjustable parameters but you can only really adjust the speed and intensity of them. The reverb's surprisingly nice for a cheapie amp and the delay is more than adequate. I use this for bedroom practice, and it's sweet as, plenty of power, and the aux input is perfect to plug a computer into for backing tracks. All in all there's more than enough features for a practice amp. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with a Yamaha RGX620DZ, a cheap Strat copy, and a homemade EVH guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB. It suits my music style fairly well, although there's not really much variety in tones EQ wise. I'm not really too bothered with that because the sound I get suits me just fine. It's noisy at high volume which is kinda annoying, but once I play it's fine. I get a relatively low-gain high-mid sound by modern metal standards, but it's close enough to an old-school crunchy tone which is what I wanted anyway. I wouldn't call the distortion brutal, it's more a crunchy tone on OD1 and a nice smooth lead tone on OD2. Clean tones are quite nice with a touch of chorus and a whole lot more reverb, but you'll need to turn the gain down if you want higher volumes. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would never use this at a gig, primarily because I have access to a Marshall JVM410H w/ a 1960ADM cab, but also because my 2-button footswitch has broken and the input comes loose. Nothing a new footswitch and a bit of Loctite can't handle, but frankly I expected better. The amp itself is solid as though. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing 4 years and this amp has served me well. I compared it to a Line 6 Spider III but that Marshall badge was oh so tempting to a 15 year old hahaha. In saying that, I've seen the MGs get flamed here on UG, but it is simply a good practice amp with alright features, and nothing less, nothing more. If it were stolen I'd claim insurance and use it to upgrade to my first tube amp, but I'd be pretty gutted at the same time. All in all, it's nothing special but a very good practice amp for the bedroom where those tubes just can't be driven.

// 7

MG50FX Reviewed by: snshami, on november 12, 2012

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

Features: This amp was made sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. It takes some getting used to but it is ultimately easy to dial in a very wide range of tones. It has four channels, a clean, a crunch, and two types of distortion. A foot switch switches between them. Bass, Mid and Treble knobs allow a wide range of tones to be dialed in. It also has a separate reverb and a delay knob. In addition there is a knob that switches between phaser, flanger and chorus, all of quite usable quality. In addition it has a means of adjusting delay time, there is a master knob and means of storing settings. There is also a tuner, mp3 in and a headphone jack as well as a volume, distortion and master volume control. Last but not least is a switch that enables damping to enable switching between classic and modern amp tones. Of course the amp is solid state but this does not work against it. I use it at home and it is super powerful. For comparison I also have a Jet City 2112RC, an Ibanez Tubescreamer amp and a Marshall MG2FX. For the price the feature list is awesome. // 10

Sound: I have three different guitars ranging from a Shecter with brutal pickups to a Fender Strat with Alnico IIIs. I play a wide range of music from soft bluesy Santana to Pink Floyd and am trying to get a handle on some metal stuff including some soloing. The amp if anything is biased towards Rock n Roll and Metal but it can play blues and almost anything else. For the price and value it is awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not had the amp for long enough but a Marshall is a Marshall and based on my previous experience with their amps they are built like tanks, maybe not Roland Cube tough but then nothing is. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it is an awesome amp. It looks awesome and sounds awesome. I compared this amp in the store with a Marshall MA50C, which was close to double the price. I got the guy in the store to play while I listened. Both us agreed that for Metal there was no discernible difference. I feel there is a strange group of people who love to hate the Marshall MG series of amps. In most cases they are either tube snobs or people who just want to sound cool but wouldn't know tone if it bit them on the nose. Objectively speaking this is a lovely amp. Truthfully I love the my other amps better for certain things but this for others. No amp in my experience does everything, not even a Mesa Boogie but can it help you make great inspirational music and make you and others feel good. Yes it can do so very nicely. If it was stolen I am not sure if I would buy it again. I am not wedded to brands or models just to sound. I would probably compare it to what is in the store at that time and make my decision accordingly.

// 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014