MS-2 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 01/05/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MS-2
The MS-2 is the ultimate in portable battery/mains adaptor operated micro amps, packing a full 1 Watt of Marshall tone into a tiny case measuring just 14 x 11 x 6cm.
 Features: 7.5
 7.4
 7.9
 6.9
reviews (20) pictures (3) 41 comments vote for this gear:
MS-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2005

Features: The cool this about this amp is that I think it's the only mini-amp to have a belt clip on it to carry it around this is really useful, and if you're a busker it's for you! Two simple knobs (apart from the power one) clea and overdrive channel, but I'm left abit disappointed as the Roland Micro-Amp for only twenty quid for has 7 effects and amp models. It has a headphone jack and it looks nice! // 6

Sound: As I said the amp has two channels clean and overdrive, the clean channel is not very loud (only as much as you can expect from a mini amp). The sound is quite compact and as you turn up the volume it becomes distorted even though it's 'clean') but it doesn't sound too bad. Next is the overdrive, people are making it out to be far worse than it is, it does fuzz abit at full volume, this reason it doesn't fuzz so much is that it's not really a brutal distortion, at full volume its as distorted as an amp with gain on about 5-6, otherwise it's like a overdrive pedal (not distortion) on a tame setting. The overdrive is really loud, as loud as the volume I use my practice amp at home, but to get a good sustain you need a pedal or to have it at full volume. Overall I rate the sound 4, it's more than I expected, but if you have a distortion pedal it's a 5 as it packs just as much a punch as any other amp with one on and the sound quality is excellent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very durable, I've dropped it a few times and it's survived without scratches. There's no much else to say. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a portable amp which you can actually carry round without trouble this is for you, don't expect too much though as it is only a micro amp. It's only for fun, I wouldn't use it at a gig obviously. But it would be excellent if you're writing songs or just want to practice away from home. Also the battery life is excellent, 20 hours I think. // 8

MS-2 Reviewed by: Idiot Pineapple, on march 24, 2006

Purchased from: zzsound

Features: Well, it's a practice amp. The Marshall MS-2 is the perfect lounge around companion for when you don't wanna disturb the neighbors, but you still want that quality Marshall sound. This little fella comes with a volume knob, tone, and an "OD" mode. It also has a standard input jack, a headphone jack, and a place to plug in an AC adaptor. And lets not forget the staggering 1 watt of power. This amp lacks power, but it has quite an interesting sound. Enough sound versitility for you to toy around with just about any style, but not enough to gig with, or to be able to fully expirement with. It's just a practice amp after all. The 1 watt can fill a small room, but if you were planning to gig with it you would probably get drowned out. So just sit back, clip it to your belt and play for your girlfriend. // 7

Sound: I usually use the little guy with my Ibanez artcore series guitar, and it's quite a nice sound. The clean channel is a bit on the quiet side, and cranking it results in some distortion. The best way to use this amp is with its overdrive setting. The MS-2 despite its size has some pretty nice crunch. Really good mid range tones. I've actually put a wah though it, and it didn't sound half bad. Despite the lack of a loud clean channel, the fuzz on this baby more than makes up for it. I would argue that trying to make it "clean" on the OD setting sounds better than the actual clean setting. The OD when on full volume sounds a bit like the softer Pearl Jam songs. I'm personally a fan of its sound, though a better clean channel would be nice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, it's plastic, though it can still take some abuse. About a week into it the OD channel got "lose" or something like that, and it takes some smacking to get it to work. The battery compartment is also busted and needs some gentle taps to work as well. Though I can't imagine all these little guys to be like that. And Marshall is quality stuff. I would never use it for a gig however, or most jam sessions, as it is simply not powerful enough. It also lacks a wide range of sounds. What I would recommend it more is small acoustic jams, or just some personal enjoyment for when it's quiet time in the household. // 7

Overall Impression: Well, they call it a practice amp for a reason. It's small, quiet, but it has just enough power to get a nice fuzzy distortion for when you wanna rock out on your bed. I've been playing for almost three years, and I normally use my Acoustic tube amp for any jam sessions or gigs. As I've said many times, this amp is not powerful, it has little to no clean channel, and it's not the most durable substance in the world. This amp is really just for practice and/or personal enjoyment when you don't wanna shake the floor. I recommend it to any guitarist who enjoys playing for hours a day like I do. If it were stolen, and if it breaks, even more, I will definitely get a new one. // 9

MS-2 Reviewed by: Kirdy, on october 10, 2006

Features: The amp is pretty good for putting it on the computer desk so you can play tabs on the internet or to just muck around in a small room because I think it's the only micro-amp to have a belt clip. I play lots of music and it's not that good for clean songs. Great for distortion though. But maybe it's because I've jus got a crappy Fender Frontman 15G and a California series Squire Strat Fender guitar. It's got a headphone jack at the side of it and you can connect it to mains if you buy the cable. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts because I haven't used up the battery yet. The amp has two channels, clean and overdrive. It's got three knobs volume, Tone and a knob for switching it on to clean then overdrive. It is definitely loud enough for a room on overdrive. // 8

Sound: Well I'm using a California series Strat Squire Fender with 3 single coil pickups (I'm a little low on cash). It suits my music style pretty good because I play Blink 182, Fall out Boy, Tenacious D, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, guns n roses, Jimmy Eat World with max treble and max distortion. It picks up a lot with max volume and distortion, like the crackling stuff and no sure what it's called. It doesn't have much of a variety of sounds but it's still good. The clean channel isn't very distorted at high volumes because it doesn't even go that loud but you could make a clean channel out of the overdrive by putting the volume to about 4 or 3. The distortion isn't very hardcore but it's fairly loud on that channel. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yeah well as I said it uses a battery that seems like it lasts for ever so I would depend on it. I definitely wouldn't use it for a gig. The amp has never broken down and I've dropped it a couple of times from about waist height. The battery pack at the back is kind of dodgy and I can see it braking in a couple of years. The plastic seems kind of light but I guess it would have to be because you're wearing it on your waist. Well the amp is made in Korea! So I'm not sure how good the quality over there is. // 8

Overall Impression: I guess I'd play mainly alternative rock I think. Well it's a good match for jus using it to practice and muck around. I've been playing for almost 2 years. I own a California series Squire guitar and a Fender Frontman 15G. that's about all. I wished I had asked for a cheaper price before I bought it. Because I've heard others get it for cheaper. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely get it again from a cheaper place. I really like the fact that it has a belt clip for it. But I jus hate the battery back bit of it. It really pisses me off for some reason. I don't really have a favourite feature. I didn't compare it to any other amp which I think I should have. The only thing I wish it came with is the mains adapter. // 8

MS-2 Reviewed by: HeartOfDarkness, on june 12, 2004

Purchased from: Pete Wrights Music, Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Features: This micro amp is battery powered, 2 channel (clean and overdrive) that switches by knob that looks like the 1 volume and 1 tone control. It has a headphone jack but it is the same size a guitar lead so not for cd player headphones without an adaptor. I bought this amp to play in my garden without getting complained at by neigbours, unless it is very windy, it is okay for this, also good for bedroom practice. // 8

Sound: I am using it with an Ibanez gsa-60 and it can achieve a fair range of sounds, from warm bluesy overdrive to ac/dc style rock, unfortunately this is mainly dependant on the volume. It suits rock music more than metal, although the metal sound is okay, the distortion is fairly weak though, so no death metal through this amp. The clean channel sounds overdriven over about 6 on the volume control, and is very quiet, full volume on the clean channel sounding like 2 or 3 on the overdriven channel. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It has nevr broken down, but I have only had it a month or so and bought it new. I would trust the quality in a gig, if it was just a tad more powerful that 1 watt. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal e.g Iced Earth, Judas Priest, and it doesn't really cut it with metal. I've been playing about 6 months and own the Ibanez gsa-60 mentioned and a Peavey Rage 158. This amp was nothing more and nothing less than I expected, I love the sound of it on the overdrive channel cranked up full, but I wish the clean sound was louder and it took smaller headphone jacks. Overall I am impressed with the versatilitly of this little babysized amp. // 8

MS-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: OK, as you can expect from an amp that costs next to nothing, and weighs this much too, the features are'nt that hot. It has two channels but based on the sound this makes, changing the channels doesnt actually do much. It has volume and tone for both OD and clean channels. It has a headphone jack and a power supply sockety thingy, but the damn DC plug isnt included. The best use I've put it too are using it in guitar lessons just so I can hear the guiitar without having to lug a Marshall AVT to all my classes, and plugging my mp3 player into it and making it loud. They say you can use it to drive an external speaker, but dont, it sounds God awful. // 6

Sound: I have a PRS SE and it still sounds like the Marshall version of a tin-can-telephone. But don't get me wrong, for the money and the size, so long as you can hear it, I'm satifyed. Just don't rely on good things coming in small packages. Yep, it distorts at high volumes and not in a good way, but low volume and mid tone clean sounds are actually quite pleasing. Use it for busking or pissing your parents off with loud music in the car. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Mine crapped out. It died. something to do with the power. I won't replace it, I'll get the bigger model hoping that has a nicer tone as it has a gain control (the MS-4) or ill try one of the Fender mini amps. Definatly fun whilst it lasted. Don't expect anything serious, its basically a toy. // 4

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues, and so for practising its perfect as I don't need high gain or much distortion so it works for me. If you have a traveler it would be nice to have a guitar and a teeny amp like this for the road. My overall impression is that it is very very cool because you get to carry a mini half stack but thats the main extent of its uses. // 6

MS-2 Reviewed by: guitarfreak1212, on june 01, 2004

Features: It has a dc adapter (plug) and works on 9v batteries. It has clean and overdrive. I use clean for tuning and overdrive for playing. I wish it had a normal headphone plug, but its the bigger type. It is very versatile, infact I just went on a trip and put it in a plastic baggie with the wire hookup. // 6

Sound: I use for everything right now because my order for a bigger amp was jumbled up and they sent me a bass amp, so I use this one and it works great. The good thing is its not too noisy while having that overpowered crunch in the overdrive mode. The clean mode is a bit light and is hard to hear on lower volumes so you have to turn it up but it is still crystal clear. I mainly play all styles because I'm learning chords right now but it works perfectly for grunge. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. It's worked fine for the past few years. The only thing though my little brother lost the back to it and the battery wouldn't connect, I put a piece of paper behind the battery and it worked. It dosent use much batterie juice i bought the crappy batteries an its worked for a month of constant using. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a half year and I have a Rogue stratocaster (made by squire) (squire is made by Fender). If it was stolen or lost I would have to say I'd buy another just because of money situations and I need a more powerful amp, but eventually I would get it again. // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: CandyCaneChild1, on december 08, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This amp only has 1 volume and 1 tone control, but for an amp that could fit in a doll house I say that's pretty nice. It's great that it has 2 channels though. It also has a headphone jack and a 9v power supply jack, but with one of those plugged up I wouldn't have very much room to jump around and rock out like I like to do. I wish it had more tone/volume controls, but like I said its nice for a 1w amp. It really is just a practice amp, though, because it can't get any louder than filling up a small/medium room. // 10

Sound: I play an Epi Les Paul, and this Marshall is great through it. I play all styles of rock, and this Marshall is nothing but awesome for any style of it. The distortion, however, is louder than the clean channel, and the clean channel has a little distortion to it as well. Other than that, the sound quality is actually as good/better than my Epi practice amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, considering I would only use this for small things in front of family/friends, (you know, "Hey mom! Check this out, I can play the solo from "Panama"!") it is extremely reliable. The only problem I have with it is that it just drains the batteries. If you plan on buying this, you definitely will want to look into buying some high-quality 9v's because this amp just sucks the life outta those suckers. // 8

Overall Impression: I play any style of rock, (as mentioned above) and Marshall is always a great decision for any guitar player. I have been playing around 3 years, so I know what I'm talking about. If someone ever had the balls to steal this baby from me, I would shake it off and go buy another, because, quite frankly, it's cheap as hell. I love the distortion, the slightly-distorted clean, the headphone jack, the grill cloth, I love everything about this mini-amp. Compared to any other practice thingy, the Marshall MS-2 completely and utterly makes any others seem completely inferior. Buy it, you won't regret it. // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: madi_smith, on december 22, 2004

Features: My Marshall MS-2 is about a couple of pounds and is operated by a 9v battery. It's sound is pretty average, but it has this annoying crackle in clean mode. It has volume and tone controls and a switch that includes the options of off clean and overdrive. The overdrive is ok, but there is too much crackle and not enough "power". It needs at the least a gain control, and a little reverb. It has a headphone jack, but I rarely use it because it is only compatible with quarter inch headphones. If you want something better, I think they've pretty much worked out the tweaks by making the Marshall MS-2. // 4

Sound: I use my Marshall MS-2 with my 1985 Fender Stratocaster (on both the pickups for clean, and the last pickup for distortion). The little thing has ok sound, but when I turn it up high on clean it sounds like overdrive. The annoying thing is I can barely tell that the thing is on overdrive when it is. I have to turn it on clean first and then to od to feel it. It really pisses me off. It's ok for practise though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, I would never ever use this thing for a freaking gig. It's just not good enough. But it is pretty durable (I've dropped it twice on concrete and it hasn't broken). // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play punk rock, christian and my own stuff. It isn't really a match for anything. I have been playing since February 2004. I also have a Hughs and Ketner blue light edition, and that thing is awesome. If I ever lost it, I'd probably get something else to replace it, because other things this size look better and have better sound. I like it, but after studying other brands and models of its classification, I wish I had waited a while to buy one. // 6

MS-2 Reviewed by: -Atticus-, on july 28, 2006

Features: This is the MS-2 Marshall Micro Amplifier. This amp was made in Korea and is 9-Volt Battery Powered. It has a very useful overdrive setting.It really suits the fast, electric music I like to play. There is volume, tone and an off-clean-over Drive knobs. No special features other than the overdrive. There is one input and one headphone jack. I mostly use this to jam with my guitar and bass buddies, if you want to use drums I suggest using a larger amp. // 9

Sound: I am using a Standard Fender Stratocaster which has three single coil pickups and an Ibanez GSA with two single coils and one humbucker. I mostly play punk music, NOFX, Blink 182, Pennywise, Lagwagon, and for rock AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. It has a really good Overdrive setting, so for those stlyes of music, it's a really good buy. If you are into slower, cleaner music, not such a great buy. There's always some kind of a fuzz sound on the clean setting. It really doesn't have a whole lot of feedback, so it's nice to use. For palm muting and things like artificial harmonics and other things like that it sounds really nice. It's not to loud, so something to use while the wife is asleep. The overdrive is pretty cool, for pop-punk music like Blink 182 and Greenday, but not so much for metal if you're into Metallica. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've never used it in a gig, but I probably wouldn't bring a backup. If you're a rocker and tend to jump around on stage, this might not be an amp for you, because it has a bad tendancy to fall off when jumping. I've never had to get it fixed, and it's fallen of my back onto the cement in my garage quite a few times, it's a pretty tough piece of technology. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said this amp is a great match for fast punk/rock music. Maybe you should look at a different amp for slower, cleaner music. I've been playing for four years and this has been one of my best buys. I own the Standard Stratocaster, a Standard Persicion Bass, and Ibanez GSA, a Traynor amp (from when I first started) and I like to use HOG cables. I also own a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal and use 60mm. tortex picks. With this equipment together, it is a great buy. If it was stolen I'd definatley buy it again. My favourite part about it is the overdrive. The only thing I wish it could have were some features such as flang, or tremolo, but I guess you can only fit so much on such a small amp! // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on november 27, 2006

Features: This is a very simple amplifier, having only a volume, tone and another control turning it off, on or with overdrive. It has a headphone socket and an input jack and a mains socket. It has 2 channels. It is a 2 watt amp so don't expect this to be a gigging amp in any case. It is very useful because you can carry it around easily and take it anywhere without hassle. // 10

Sound: I have an Epiphone Les Paul and I am using it with this up until christmas, when I am getting a new amp. I think this would suit most styles as long as you aren't extremely fussy about tone. As I said there is a clean channel which is quite useful if you are trying to write some music and an overdrive channel that is in all fairness pretty good. The clean channel stays clean up until about 8 and then it distorts only slightly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp but no way at a gig because it is obviously far too small. It hasn't broke yet for me and I don't think it will. I have dropped it a couple of times but it seems to be OK. I think this amp is going to be fairly well used by anyone Who gets it because it can be so useful if you do a lot of travelling. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues/rock/metal and it is very good as a portable practice amp. It is a neat little gadget and very good for travelling. you could pop this in the car and practice as it also runs on batteries. If I lost it, I would by a new one, as they are pretty cheap and are very useful in a situation, like if you go on holiday. I love the fact it is so small and in spite of this, it is still very good, but it would be better if it had more tone or channel options. I think this is perfect for someone Who wants to take a portable, small but very good quality amplifier with them where ever they can take their guitar. // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2007

Features: This amp is packed with Clean and overdrive channels, tone control, headphones jack, battery or A/C power, small, very convient. This amp can also be worn around on your belt. This amp is pretty simple and strait forward, and doesnt't pack many unneccessary features. // 10

Sound: This amp sounds simply sounds amazing, maybe the best amp I've ever played through. I've been playing for 24 years and currently play a lot of aggressive metal. I've owned many amps JCMs, Mesa, Engl, Soldano, Diezel, H&K, none of those amps can match the deep bottom, screaming leads, and articulate quite like this little beast on overdrive settings. The clean channel is almost as impressive and sounds sparkly clean. I am not exagerating when I say this amp has the best tone I've ever heard in my life. This thing is loud, it drowns out the other guitar in my band playing through a triple recto cranked as high as it will go. Amazing for such a tiny little amp, I would give this amp a 15 if I could. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I dropped this thing about 300 feet, still works perfectly. This amp is a lot more fire resistant than any other amp I've played through. Also been through the wash a couple times by accident, no problems once everything dried out. I have absolute Faith in Marshalls reliability and durability, they make only quality products. Build quality is outstanding and this is a very rugged amp. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp takes everything to a whole new level. This amp is perfect for death/black/any kind of metal. This thing is simply a beast. Nothing out there can match the overdrive channel, and the clean channel is also up there with the best. I've never heard anything sound this ungodly, not even monster rack systems that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. This thing is rugged in hell and I wouldn't have any reservations using this thing for gigs. You can play this thing for days strait on the same 9 volt battery. Marshall has really outdone themselves this time. This is the most incredible amp I've ever seen in my life. If anyone ever stole this, well I don't even want to thing about it, I would rather part with my own children. Overall, this amp is highly reccomended! // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: darthbuttchin, on august 17, 2007

Features: This amp is designed simply for practicing at times when you have to keep quiet, or for travelling. You could also use it for busking I suppose, but it wouldn't be particularly loud. It has an Overdrive and Clean Channel, but after a year or so of playing through it these channels become almost indistinguishable between. It has a headphone jack, reinforcing the quiet practice idea. The control panel is simple, three knobs, volume, tone and on/off. // 8

Sound: I use either my Cruiser by Crafter RG600 or Fender Sunn Mustang with the amp. I have varying musical styles, from blues to classic rock and punk and soul and so much more. For a little amp, it manages to keep up with all of these, although I doubt it would be suited to Death Metal. It can get quite noisy, if you turn the volume up, but then the small speaker distorts and doesnt't sound all that amazing, especially on the overdrive channel. If you turn the volume up past 7 0r 8 on the clean channel, the speaker distorts and sounds displeasing. The distortion isnt brutal, it's not designed for chugging out dropped tuning riffs with tons of distortion. I'm not entirely sure whther you can use pedals with it, I have never tried, as I'm worried about blowing the tiny speaker. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its not a gigging amp, but it could manage busking, if the street wasn't very busy. You would need a spare 9V battery, just in case, but I have noticed that when my pedals leds don't light up, if I swith batteries, the led on the MS-2 lights up, thus saving me some battery money, at least for a while. Sometimes the volume cuts out, though this may be due to crappy leads. The speaker can get terribly distorted when batteries are low making it sound like a gorrillas fart. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I like this little amp, due to the fact that it's so simple to use and easily portable, on days where I really can't be bothered to take my large amp out to relatives etc. Although the review may sound fairly negative, by no means am I saying that you shouldn't consider the amp, I'm just stating that it isnt the greatest. I've been playing for 3 years and own various bits of gear, pedals, a couple of larger amps and many guitars. This was my first amp and I think that by and large, it's a great amp for a begginer, but you can quickly out grow it. I do still use it, but only when I haven't got the energy to use the others. If it was stolen, I'd probably replace it, as it's a useful thing to have hanging around, just in case. // 9

MS-2 Reviewed by: Calvin Waller, on march 28, 2008

Features: I got this amp a year and a half ago. This amp was made for a person to tarvel around without carrying a big amp. It has a clip on the back so you can put it on your belt to walk around with. It has a clean and overdrive channel with just a volume and tone knob. It isn't very versatile but you can have a lot of fun with it. It takes a nine volt battery and lasts a long time. This amp is good for a lot of standard clean or blues songs. I play some of both and I bring this to picnics and things like that with my family. I do wish that it had a two or three band EQ though but it would make the amp bigger too and this is for small travel things. I use this amp for small parties with my family for sing alongs and it has enough power to deliver enough sound for people to hear it. It has an input for your guitar cable and an input for headphones too so this can be good for a warm up before a gig too. // 7

Sound: I just use my SG on this amp with standard 490 pickups in the neck and middle. This amp is for mostly kids that want to run around and play at the same time but this can be used by adults too because it does have that Marshall sound, just in a smaller package. I usually play classic rock and the blues with this amp because it sounds pretty well for those two genres. This amp can be noisy though. If the gain control is up too high, the amp can go out of control with feedback and a lot of bad fuzz. This amp can make some good clean sounds for jazz and some low gain blues rock on the overdrive channel. That is about as much variety as you are going to get out of this firecracker. The clean channel doesn't get distorted at all though. That is the good thing about this amp. The distortion is bad though. If the gain is too high, it will provide too much feedback and make anything sound bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it as long as I have a spare battery. But this is strictly a fool around or a warm up amp. You want a much stronger amp for a gig of any type. This amp won't break down on you if you don't drop it. These amps are made exceptionally well for the price. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, blues rock, classic rock, and classic metal and this amp is a good match for blues and blues rock songs. This amp is very good for warm ups or a family outing. I have been playing for six years and I own some bigger amps thatn this one including a thirty watt Vox that is my primary amp. I bought this amp for less weight and easy maneuverability and that is what I am happy for. I would buy this amp again if it broke because it is good to bring to camping trips and all sorts of stuff. I love the clean channel but hate the overdrive because you can't have the gain up too high or else it will go out of control. I wish this thing had noise reduction for that. I chose this amp because I didn't like the look of the tiny Fenders they had in stock. // 9

MS-2 Reviewed by: ncray, on april 29, 2008

Features: I don't know what year the amp was made in but I think it is a fairly recent product. You can change from two channels: clean and overdrive. I bought this amp because I wanted something to play through that could be taken anywhere. I haven't used it all that much since I bought it, sometimes at night for an hour or so. It runs on a 9V battery and I purchased mine in December '07 and haven't changed the battery yet. // 7

Sound: I have a Epi Les Paul with ZW EMG's and I play different styles RHCP to Metallica. The amp can be quite loud, but when turned up past 7 or so the sound is awful. I have only turned it up past 7 five or six times, because I just don't like what I hear. The variety is limited, but I don't think anyone is expecting variety from this amp. The clean channel is acceptable for this little amp; the overdrive doesn't sound very good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I did not abuse this amp in any way and like I said only turned it up a half dozen times for a few seconds. One night about three months after I bought this amp the speaker went out. Now the only sounds the speaker makes sound like a TV on a broken channel with every note that is played. I thought that it was garbage until I ran headphones through it. The sound is surprisingly good and I use it all of the time practicing when there are other people Who don't want to hear it. // 2

Overall Impression: For a few months this was a good little practice amp and it satified my expectations until it broke. I still use it with headphones and it continues to work pretty well. I have been playing for about two years. If it were stolen/lost I would not buy another, I would use my other amps that I can plug headphones into. I like the idea of taking the amp anywhere, but was disappointed that it wasn't more durable. // 5

MS-2 Reviewed by: andrewpledger, on july 04, 2008

Features: This amp has got 1 volume, 1 tone and one Off/Clean/OD knob. It has a single input at the front and a headphone out on the side. As stated above it has a clean and an overdrive channel, the latter being much louder. I mainly use this amp when I'm playing in the garden or outside. I also use it as an iPod speaker thanks to a patch cable and a jack adapter. I play too many styles to mention and it handles about half of them. One feature I wish this amp had was a gain knob as the distortion can be very weak. // 6

Sound: I use this amp with a Harley Benton superstrat or with an Epiphone LP 100. As mentioned with a bit of coaxing it can cope with some of the styles I play. The distortion is not brutal enough unless it is cranked which leads to quite a lot of unwanted fizz. When either of the channels is over about half the start to break up and distort, this adds some crunch to the clean channel and a bit too much fizz to the OD channel. // 4

Reliability & Durability: So far nothing has broken on the amp but there have been some fixable problems. The two metal contacts for the battery lost their spring after a while and had to be bent outward so to battery didn't cut out. The cover for the battery compartment was very loose and rattled at high volumes but it was easily fixed with some tape, although it could be a problem if the battery needs to be changed regularly. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall it is quite a handy piece of kit regardless of poor sound and has proved itself in a number of situations. The one thing I wish I had thought about before buying this product was the lack of a gain control. If it were lost/stolen I would probably have a look around for an alternative. The thing I most love about this amp is how useful it is as a mobile sound source for almost anything. // 7

MS-2 Reviewed by: wchurchill, on december 11, 2008

Features: Here we have a solid state portable amp that has 2 watts of Marshall power which is controled by a volume and tone - that is it. It runs of 9V batterys but if you hate using batterys then get an adaptor for it. But I really do love the fact you can have it roaring on your trousors or belt where ever you go. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Ibanez RGR321EX with factory pick ups designed by EMG (infinity 2 in bridge and infinity 1 on neck). Clean channel - clean is almost useless it was distort really easy so make sure you get the rigth settings and strum gently it's the only way to get the ONLY good clean sound. Overdrive sound - The best channel on the amp althrough a bit fuzzy but it does have the tight crunch in it when I but my tone on 4 so the best sound I got out of the amp. Other - I gotta say after testing this it very loud the a 2 or 1 wat amp and also the tone control does as it's told so you can prably just get a bright soind on 10 and a dull sound on 0. But on the whole, lets not be harsh we are dealing with a micro amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes I can depend on it, it's been through a lot of pain Been knocked on the floor millions of times, been through speaker stress etc sothis is very very much reliable then thoso dreaded mg's I hear about. It would last for a few years, the covering is onyl plastic. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all I thing this a great amp for ac / dc and rock kinda stuff not the best chioce for metal. But I love how easy taking it to other places has no effort and that you can run round the house with on your belt. But it dosent have the best of tone and the gain is a problem so if I was you I would look at the MS-4 before gettign this. // 9

MS-2 Reviewed by: minu_penguin, on july 02, 2009

Features: Well, it has 3 knobs (1 for volume, 1 for tone and 1 is for changing the channel and turning the amp on). It has also a headphone jack, and works with a 9 volt battery.I use it mainly at home(it's my first actual guitar amp). When I'm on overdrive channel, and volume around 8 or 9 it has a really loud tone. It has also a belt clip, so you can go around with him trough the house or oustide, busking. // 9

Sound: I am using the amp trough a Washburn X11 guitar, with the stock pickups. I play mostly AC-D, Nirvana, Guns'n'Roses, Led Zeppelin and Metallica. It has a resonable clean sound, not that loud. The overdrive channel is very loud but if you put the tone all the way back it vibrates and create a very weird sound. At around 0 to 4 it sounds like clean, the real distortion is there only about 4 and above. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, the amp is very solid, like any Marshall. My guitar felt on it while inside the trunk of a car but it doesn't have any scratch. I played it outside, in some light rain and it still works like new. It looks cute to. It's small enough to be easy to carry but big enough to do a mini concert. If you have a normal apartment room it will fill wit his sound every. // 10

Overall Impression: For ac dc is very good on overdrive, and you can get, if you use the tone and selector Switch on the guitar you will get a variety of tones. I love that is portable, small and I carry it with me on mountain. I know it does not have the sound of an Acoustic but if you want to play also some rock on the mountain, even rock ballads, it will help you.I hate when I want to play when someone sleeps, because I don't like to wear headphones and to get some really nice overdrive you must to crank up the volume pretty much. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I wish it has, when you buy it, a charger and more tone knobs but for such a small price, it worths. // 10

MS-2 Reviewed by: JesusCrisp, on july 23, 2009

Price paid: € 50

Features: It is a really small and portable amp with 1W, 2 channels, tone and volume knobs, a headphone jack and a belt-clip. It's powered by a 9V battery. I only miss some more distortion, maybe better possibilities to tweak the sound and a smaller headphone jack, but it's a really tiny amp and doesn't cost much, so what do you expect? I bought it for school to Jam around with other friends Who play guitar and to play everywhere I want to. It does that what I got it for. // 7

Sound: I am using an Epiphone SG Special, but I don't think that it really effects the sound really much. It does not completely suit my music style, so playing something like AC/DC does work, playing Metallica doesn't sound good. The clean channel distorts on higher volumes so it has a light distortion, which I actually like because it sounds good for playing blues. Some people might not like that. You can tweak the sound a bit with the tone-knob and with your guitar's pickup selector and tone knobs. The distortion is not brutal, it does blues, rock and hard rock, but not metal. The sound isn't bad compared to its size, but it's nothing compared to a real amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, I don't think anyone would use this amp for gigging, besides as a stage gag. It didn't broke down, but if the battery is nearly drained, it sounds really horrible and stops making sounds in random time periods. It has been dropped a few times by some of my uncareful friends, but it didn't do any damage on it. // 7

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and thrash metal (like AC/DC, RATM, Audioslave, Metallica, ...) and some blues. It only doesn't suit to metal. It is loud enough for practising and jamming with Acoustic guitars and blues harps. I compared it with the Fender Mini amp and a Marshall MS-4, but I liked this one's sound better. Anyways I'm satisfied with it. // 7

MS-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2010

Price paid: C$ 45

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This little amp was made in Vietnam, year unknown. The amp has 2 channels, one clean, and one OD (selected through the same knob). It has 1 tone control an 1 volume control, as well as a large-sized headphone jack at its side (You can also clip it onto your belt). The amp has the bare essentials, but it's a pretty cool little amp for some at-home practice. // 7

Sound: The sound produced by this amp obviously won't be loud at all, as it is almost pocket-sized, but it manages alright. I play pretty much just rock, covers, as well as my own stuff, and this amp is fine for that. It likely would manage with some 'lighter' metal, as well. I would use this amp only for travelling (when I wouldn't want to lug around a bigger amp), or for outdoor gatherings. Note: This is not my practice amp, I use a Vox VT30. The Clean channel on this thing is decent, it brings out most of the sound of the guitar itself, but it certainly isn't anything special. The OD seems pretty average on it, and since there isn't a gain control, the amount of Drive varies based on the volume. At Max volume, the amp produces a nice "crunch" sound, but since the sound quality isn't very good, your ears will Hurt, slightly.At low-to-mid volume, there is not much difference between the OD and the clean channels. The amp can achieve some pretty decent rock sounds, but there isn't too much variety. Overall, I think the sound is pretty good, if you take into consideration that this is a micro amp. Don't expect this to compare with $1000 amps. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for 2 months now, and there have been no problems. I think this amp was used about 30 min/day through the two months, and it sounds the same as it did when it was new. I wouldn't even think of using it on a gig, because it just isn't powerful enough. The amp seems to be pretty durable, but if you were to drop it a few too many times, it would surely crap out. But it is Marshall quality, and you could expect it to last you long enough so that it becomes entirely worth what you payed for it. // 8

Overall Impression: The appearance of this amp is pretty nice. Mine is painted red, but there may be other colours available. I've been wanting one of these little micro amps for a while, and I'm entirely satisfied with this one. Again, I play Classic/Hard rock, and this amp manages for a little fun outdoors or while travelling. I bought the amp one day when I went to The Music Shop to try some Highway One Telecasters, and to buy some strings, and at the register I saw one of these little amps and thought, "Why Not?", and I'm glad I picked it up. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a main practice amp and definitely not a gigging amp. If it were stolen, I would eagerly purchase another, because its just so much fun. This amp holds its own against amps like the Marshall MG10, or the Fender Frontman 15R, but those two amps aren't exactly known for their tremendous capabilities. I would recommend the Marshall MS-2 to anybody who travels often, or who enjoys playing outdoors, or needs an amp for night-time practice. This thing is great fun! // 8

MS-2 Reviewed by: Vermin171, on january 05, 2012

Purchased from: Colbecks Music Store

Features: These things have been going for years and they're just so much fun... The MS-2 has two channels; Clean and Overdrive which are switched from the Power On/Off knob. The front panel is nice and basic and other than the power knob, features a volume and tone knob, along with the standard 1/4 inch jack input. The amp also sports a 1/4 inch headphone socket, which when you plug in headphones; mutes the internal speaker. This is nice because the amp is small enough to use as a simple headphone amp - great for practising at 2:00 in the morning! The best feature of this amp has to be the belt clip, what could be cooler than walking around, with your guitar 'round your neck and this thing clipped to your belt! The amp can be powered by either a 9V battery or an external power supply, if it's gonna be sat on your desk a lot, I'd invest in a power supply as they can run down batteries pretty quickly. Of course if you intend to have it clipped to your belt a lot, a battery is a must have! The one thing that is missing from this amp is a separate gain knob, which the larger MS-4 does feature. It would be nice to be able to crank the gain without having to have the volume turned up, although I guess being loud isn't always a bad thing... // 7

Sound: At first I was mighty impressed at how loud this amp was, considering it's a tiny 1 Watt pocket amp, it certainly packs a punch and is definitely loud enough to fill a room at home when cranked. This amp gets a lot of criticism from people over its sound, but come on... It's a tiny 1 Watt amp. It has more of a novelty factor to it that as a practical amp, I mean look at it... It's a mini Marshall stack! Most of my guitars have humbuckers on them and the clean channel does distort at high volumes, however turning the volume back a bit does sort this out. The distortion channel is not the greatest distortion in the world, but for 26 its good enough for sitting on your sofa and whacking out some great licks... It's a relatively low-gain amp, so probably not your best choice of amplifier for death metal fans. Of course you're never gonna be recording with it, and why? That's not what it was made for... The MS-2 is great to just pop by your sofa or computer so you have an amp handy when you just want to plug in and Jam something, it's just a bit of fun! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I certainly wouldn't be gigging with this thing... Like I said, that's not what it was made for, it's a great amp for home-use and is a bit of fun. The amp itself feels pretty well made for the price, everything is sturdy and nothing is loose or creaks. It hasn't gone wrong on me yet... Let's see if it lives up to the Marshall name! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, from blues and classic rock, through to head-crushing metal. I use this amp a lot when I'm checking out tabs on my PC, as my amps are upstairs and my PC is downstairs, the last thing I want to be doing is lugging around my combo amps just to check out some riffs, so this little amp is really handy to just have by the computer. Everyone should have one, they're so much fun and what could be better than owning your own tiny little Marshall stack! // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014