Super Lead 2000 Review

7.1
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Super Lead 2000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2008

Purchased from: Trevor Durrant

Features: The marshal superleade 2000 150 watt head (now discontinued) was the most popular amplifier releasd by Marshall. With it's Vintage distortion sounds and signiature Marshall tone I can see why. I play mostly Rock, Blues and metal and I can use this amplifier to play all three. The bst thing about the sound isits versatile to play different kinds of music however, it keeps the same signiature tone that you spent 3 days trying to get and the amp is also great for creating your own signiature sound aswell as keeping the Marshall tone. The Amp has two channels, clean which has a crunch button and distortion which has a bass boost Switch along with a dostirtinboost button with 4 way eq. both the channels have sperate reverb dials but both are controlled by the same eq which can cause problems. Because of the master eq, you can't have two different settings which means that whatever your settings for playing clean, will be the settings for distortion which can be an issue if you want a really soft signiature clean tone and then a high end distortion. however in contradiction to this it does mean that your clean will be well mixed with your distortion souds and if your happy with that like I am then you have no worries. The amplifier has about 6 jack inputs/outputs on the back; 2 inputs are for the footswitch one channel for reverb and one for channels. There are three cab outputs; on for a standard 8ohm cab, a jack output for a 16ohm cab and a switchable (between 8 and 16ohms) jack for a second cab. on the back the are also two other jacks for effects loops which should be tsted first before Live playing as running a loop from the guitar to an effects unit then into the input may be better for some effects and may have a completely different sound the the effects loop input. And also the amp has two on switched, one is the master on Switch and the other is a stnadby Switch which is there so that the amp isnt actually on which is good becase the tubes need time to warm up. At the moment I use my amp inside my house and I am able to turn it up to get some serious sound out of it, and I also use it at pub gigs of which I don't even need to turn it up half way as it drives over everything already. The ampplifier uses four large tubes and 4 small tubes through a transformer to give it it's power and tone. // 8

Sound: I use an Indie Les Paul which cost me a small price of 380 which is a bargai nfor what the guitar can do and the osund is phenomanal through the amp espceically when really start to kick out the rock and blues; the tone is amazing. the amp itself is a birlliant sound and the cab it's sitting on whihc is a 1936 2x12 projects the sound and really drives. The sound itself is very simple, clean, crunch or overdirve with gain switched which mean you can creates a almost synth noise to clean to an ac dc raring distortion and al the channels are in their own friquencys in other words the clean doesnt't distort at high vloumes, it onyl gets better! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp has never broken on me at all and it has been knoicked about quite a bit. it's a juggernaut what can I say! it will never break and the sound stays immense! the tubes are never breaking, they have lasted longer than tubes should in my opinion and the amo overall is just the best gig worthy amp I've ever come across. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues mostly and this amp is amazing for both, I have been playing over 4 years now and I have never found an amp that maches this. I would defffinantly buy this amp again if it got stolen or lost because it's just so sterdy and has killer sound. I sat down in theshop tried other amplifiers such as Line 6 and Mesa Boogie but this amp just broke the barrier. I don't wish for anything else on this amp, it's vontage and has a wicked sound and if I want effects, I'll buy them, that what the effects loop is for haha! // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014