Valvestate 100 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 05/07/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: Valvestate 100
It actually has four separate settings. Each has a button you can hit to change the gain setting. You can get a nice overdrive out of the clean channel by hitting the switch, good for a nice bluesy sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.1
 9.2
 8.7
reviews (8) pictures (1) 58 comments vote for this gear:
Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2006

Purchased from: Online Auction

Features: The amp itself I believe was made around ten years ago and so it's been worn in nicely before I purchased it - complete with a few nicks and tears. The amp has three channels (Clean, OD1, OD2) each with a nice sound to them. The clean has a seperate equalisation which is handy and each setting has it's own reverb channel to boot. Although many would think it's a bit bland on th effects front it's perfect for what I use it for as I use a Zoom GFX1 for all my delay needs. Each channel also has its own volume so it's great for a fast switch to a solo. // 9

Sound: I'm using this through a mix and match RG3120/RG320. It's a prestige neck on the RG320 flame maple body with the all the prestige fittings and tremolo, lo-pro in this case. The amp will go extremely loud as it is 100W and delivers some great harmonics on each of the three channels. To my ears the clean is beautiful, rather bell like when boosted in the mids and bass, though some argue it's a little rough. The settings on the amp include two overdrives and when I plugged in first time I was expecting more brunt from a Marshall, but the whole amp grows on you and the Overdrive quickly becomes sweet and melodic, especially for ballads and sweeping. Harmonics are also very easy to obtain but a small boost from a pedal or two will help the amp gain a sharper distortion. OD1 I find is better for solo work as it's more clean and defined though pinched harmonics are a little harder. OD2 is great for fast rhythm sections or shredding. The valve emulator is great and really warms up your playing and works wonders with less mid and treble for fast arpeggios. The amp will not play the music for you, but mastering the lesser distortion will make your playing sound alot nicer which is why I love this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Marshall so it's going to survive quite a few gigs before breaking down. Mine's had a few knocks but nothing spectacular and it's held up without backups at many a gig. Cautious players may want to bring a backup, but to me nothing will have the same sound as this beauty apart from another! So until I buy another I'm going solo with this. // 10

Overall Impression: Before I bought this I was playing a Squier Telecaster though a bass amp with a beaten up DS1, home scalloped I might add. After I bought my Ibanez it had to be replaced and this couldn't of been a better replacement. I play '80s metal, intrumental rock, speed metal and thrash along with some classical stuff. For all of these this amp suits them fine, the volume controls on each channel perfect for a quick change to a sharper solo sound in Whitesnake ballads. Right now I'm running the Ibanez through a Black Cat Moan Wah pedal, a DS-1 and a Zoom GFX1 into the amp, with a stomp box footswitch. If it were stolen I'd probably buy another, or maybe check out the 8080 as 100W was a little excessive. I wish it had a more varied distortion with a few delay settings but I guess the AVT's follow that path. Overall a great amp that gets the job done, especially with a more refined player. // 9

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: kennasty182, on january 17, 2005

Purchased from: Used

Features: I bought this head with a Marshall 412 cabinet for 450 dollars. Just wanted to clarify that. The head itself is worth 450, IMO, but I was fortunate enought to get it with the cabinet for that price. - 3 footswitchable channels (clean, vintage style overdrive, modern overdrive) - Valve preamp, solidstate poweramp - Headphone jack - Effects loop with mix control - Clean reverb control and overdrive reverb control - Tone shift selector for clean channel - 100 watts. The onboard distortion is plenty is better than most pedal distortions I have used. The amount of tonal flexibility is remarkable, and I think this is a major selling point for this amp. // 10

Sound: This amp is so good it even makes both of my Squier guitars sound incredible. I have a Strat with fairly hot humbuckers and a Tele with more mellow single coils, and they both sound awesome. I play in a punk band with a light touch of ska guitar, so I don't require a whole lot of versatility in an amp, I just need one good sound for pretty much everything I play. That said, I can see this amplifier being suitable for anything from blues to some metal. The clean channel is designed to go into a slight overdrive when pushed past five, but the clean channel is plenty loud enough on 4, so if you're looking for a loud, pure sound, you can get that too. Although it doesn't have any modelling capabilities or any effects other than reverb and distortion, it makes up for it by having some exceptionally versatile and quality-sounding distortions. Especially for the fact that it has a solid state power amp section, it is remarkably warm and tube-like. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel that this amp would be dependable enough to use without a back up. I got it used, and the guy I got it from reported that he had never had a single problem with it, it was simply too loud for his style of music. The Marshall emblem on the front is broken (it now says "marsh") and there are a few rips in the tolex from road wear, but other than that, it seems as though it could take a beating. It has a very thick-walled chassis, probably almost and inch and a half to 2 inches thick. The knobs are all still very smooth and the footswitch is solid. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp fits my style perfectly. I have played on lots of amps, and this one suits me perfectly, the best out of all the amps I've tried so far. I love the fact that there are no tubes to replace, but I still can get that beautiful warm tube overdrive sound and pure cleans, even from squire guitars. Honestly, the main reason I got this amp is because I wanted a Marshall for cheap, and this was the perfect opportunity. But I'm really glad I got it. I'm so happy with this amp that I would buy another even if this one weren't stolen or lost, especially if I could get the same deal on it. // 10

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: ZoSo.Led.Zep., on february 28, 2005

Features: This amp is 5-6 years old but I'm not 100% sure because I bought it second hand. I play stuff from groups like Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses aswell as stuff from neil young and even blues and acoustic and it works really well for all of it. It has 3 channels (clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2) and came with a really sturdy metal 2 button foot switch to change channels or it can be done on the amp with the push of a button. It has pretty good spring reverb for the clean channel and for the overdrive channels. It has an FX Loop which is 2 inputs for you to plug your pedal board into the back and it had a headphone jack which I am yet to use. There aren't really any other features I wish this amp had because I wouldnt really use them, it has everything I need. I havent used the emulated line out which is for connection to a PA system because this amp it so loud it doesn't need it. I use this amp in my room mostley but also in school concerts where the 100 watts work awesome and it's so loud! It is a Valvestate amp and has a button called power dimension that makes it sound like a tube amp being pushed to the max even when I've got it on bedroom volume. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a Gibson Burstbucker 2 on the neck and a Burstbucker 3 on the bridge. The distortion this amp giutar combo gives is perfect for my classic rock style because it's not like a cheap amps distortion, its really smooth and warm, really nice! I usually use Overdrive 2 because it has contour control which makes it sound so rockin'. It can go from the sounds of Slash to Jimmy Page to Neil Young, it does all styles! The clean channel doesn't distort at high volume, but the reverb gets really intense when you put the volume way up. The distortion is so awesome. It can be compared to my Dad's Marshall full stack with the Slash head. The only problem is when you have it loud and have ut tone all the way back and palm must it will sometimes have a little buzz but nothing much. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any problems with this amp and I have gigged it 6 times without a backup. Never borken. Its a Marshall of course the quality is good! // 10

Overall Impression: It's a Marshall so of course its perfect for rock, and it only gets better when I plug in my Les Paul, a match made in heaven! I've been playing for just over a year and I also have a Boss V-Wah PW-10 but I'm going to sell it and but a Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah. If it were stolen I stay with Marshall, but I'd try to get a full stack! I love this amp it rules my setup and is alot louder than my friends Vox and Mesa Boogie 100 watt amps. Perfect for loud distorted rock and roll! // 10

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on july 11, 2006

Features: It is the second generation of tube/solidstate hybrid amps from Marshall. 100 watts through one 12 inch speaker. 3 channels, clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. Came with a footswitch to get through all. Has a tone shift knob, and a mid contour switch. Includes reverb which is seperated between clean and overdriven channels. EQ for clean and overdriven. Gain and volume controls for all three channels. Also included is an effects loop, as well as a wet/dry control to blend the sound into the plain sound. Emulated line out and a headphone jack round off the features. // 8

Sound: I'm using an American strat with single coils through this bad boy. I play a wide range of classic rock and it is alright for what it does. The clean channel is not pristine clean, but it does a decent job. I've used it to play my acoustic through, with some pretty good results. The first overdrive channel is the classic Marshall overdrive sound. It's ok for blues and classic rock sounds. The second overdrive is a modern rock sound. The sustain and gain really crank up on the second overdrive channel. However, the hybrid style leaves the amp sounding a little unlively compared to its tube bretheren. The reverb is pretty damn good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My first amp had a blown preamp tube and a grounding problem. However, Marshall sent me a new one at no charge. The amp has not broken down by its own fault. It is pretty solid and I gig it without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an excellent second amp for a budding musician. It has enough power to play at your local talent show, was relatively cheap for when I bought it (about 3 or 4 years ago) and seems to work fine for long periods of time. If you are an acoustic musician, I'd also suggest this amp if you wanted some power and the optional overdrive. // 8

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: dorteater, on march 31, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp is a great Live amp because it has the eprect volume for a club, it's not to loud and it isnt to loud. You will find use for every feature on this amp it has the nice bues distortion and a nice lead distortion it also has an amazing clean sound and very nice reverb. The FX loop comes in handy if you have an FX pedal and you only want the sound of the FX from the pedal with out the added sounds from the amp. This amp is amazing for many styes such as blues, jazz, funk, rock and so hard rock. The features that is has on it is not amazing for metal styles but with the right pedals you can make metal sound incredible on it. // 9

Sound: I use 2 main guitars with this amp, a Gibson and a squire. The amp makes the squire sound just as good as the Gibson making it an exllent investment even if you don't have a very good guitar. If you turn you the distortion all the way on cheaper gutiars you do get a lot of feedback but that can be fixed b changing the pickups and tones. It has an incredible clean setting for blus and folk and the blus distortion is great for those blue licks. The heavy disortions is amazg for those awesome licks and hevy rock chords and sounds gret in lubs or in basements. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very realiable, you can always cunt on it giving you great sound. my amp has never broken and I have had it for 2 yers now. I alws play gigs with it and ever bring backups. It can be quite heavy though especcially when yo have to bring it up a few flights of stairs but then again all big amps are pretty much heavy. But you never will have to bring it to the repair shop because it's built so solid a you can always rely on it to give you great sound even in recording. // 9

Overall Impression: I would for sure buythis amp again because it's just so amazing. It is a good match for rock and blues and all the genres with in those 2 genres. I loe the sound of the clean and distortion drives and it even has nice lengty reverb on it. It is much better then most Fender and Roland amps in it's class. I wish it had 2 guitar spots on it so that you can jam with this one amp with friends. Other thean that I have no complains abou this amp. It's great for upcoming musicians as well as established musicians. // 9

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: .esp.rock., on september 10, 2008

Features: Year: 1996 State: hybrid Speaker: Celestion 12" (Gold Back) Preamp: 12AX7 tube Channels: 3 (1 clean + 2 overdrives) Footswitch: yes Effects Loop: yes Headphone Jack: yes It has all the features you could ask for out of an amp, other than on-board effects. But this is a Marshall, if you wanted on-board effects you wouldn't be looking at buying one now would you. It has reverb, which is probably the feature I use the least and even it comes in handy to get certain sounds. The 100 watts of tone can sure put out some volume. It can also Drive 4 by 12 cabs so this thing is easily giggable. // 10

Sound: Guitar Set-Up in Comination with Amplifier Being used in conjunction with a metal-style guitar (H-H passive pickup setup). The amp isn't as suitable with single coil pickups, it can get a bit scratchy. The only problems I've encountered with the combination is that the clean channel can sound like it has a little gain and darkness in it. This limits tone possibilties, but it's caused by the guitar, so not the amp's fault. Music Style Suitability I play every genre I can think of really. This amp can be used for all genre's though there's certain sounds and tones it's incapable of. Though it definitely has a more focused tone when producing classic rock, 80's/old metal, punk and Indie sounds. It's extreme metal sound is rather non-existent. But all you need is a multi-fx or distortion pedal going into it to find it. The second overdrive channel has a contour control for extra versatility Gain The gain can sound a little thin sometimes, but as mentioned above, all you need is effects pedals to supply you with the heaviness you desire. It really is enough until you want to get a heavier sound than hard/classic rock though. The first overdrive channel is basically just for light distortion sounds and blues by the way. Noise It makes no more unwanted noise than any other amp. And I have found some feedback settings, that can be used to nice effect. Some settings on the clean channel can leave you with a hum that can be heard in rests. Personally, I have never found this a problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amplifier has lasted twelve years in someone else's care and a few months in mine. Throughout all this time it has never needed any repair. Also, it doesn't show any signs of any part of it breaking down anytime soon. I've had one problem with reliability, it was the footswitch. It got faulty after a little while and then completely stopped working. And I do know that if you were to drop it or knock it 'round too much the preamp tube would break. So take care of it! Note that it is actually a really solidly built amp, it's just the preamp that's a little fragile. // 9

Overall Impression: Reliable, all the features you could want and it sounds. If lost/stolen [though I wouldn't let that happen] I would certainly look at buying something further up on the Marshall food chain. While it is a great amp [in my opinion], the JCM, JVM and signature Marshalls are all obviously better. Nonetheless it is still the best amp I've played in its price range and the quality of the whole package is really high. And many people, including myself, regard it as the best sounding hybrid amp that they've heard. Rock on, U-G. // 10

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: pink_guitarist, on march 23, 2006

Features: This amp has maybe 10 years, make in 1996 I think. This amp is really versatile, the clean is crystal clear, the OD1 is like an AC/DC overdrive and with OD2 you can make sound like Randy Rhoads and -la Van Halen, but you can't play death metal with this. There is 1 clean and 2 overdrive, clean has is own EQ but OD1 and OD2 share the same EQ, there's a footswitch, a headphone jack and a FX loop on the back side panel. It's a 100 watt so it's perfect for a gig or a garage jam. This amp is a solid state but has a valve in the preamp so the clean and od sound like a tube amp but not exactly. // 10

Sound: I have a Foxxe guitar with a single dimarzio humbucker on the bridge and it perfectly fit my style. The amp is noisy only if you put a stompbox like a metal zone on the clean but the OD1 and 2 are not noisy even at high volume. My amp is noisy even with all the jack unpluged, I don't know why but it's like that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You really can depend on this it will never break, that's Marshall dude! // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues and metal and this perfectly suit me. I've been playing for 2 years, I own a Metal Zone and a Danelectro Flanger. If my amp get stolen I will kill the thief and take is money and buy a JCM 800. I love all on this amp, but the little noise pumps me. // 9

Valvestate 100 Reviewed by: DavmanRFC, on may 07, 2012

Purchased from: Gumtree

Features: I got this 100 watt combo with the matching 80 watt cab for 150 second hand and looked like new and played like new. The amp was made in 1997 and is in great condition. I play anything from blues on clean or with light overdrive to 80's metal with a cranked gain and it copes pretty well although the cleans can be pretty bright so I roll back the tone knob on my guitar most of the time, I play mainly with an ESP LTD WA600 with Seymour Duncan's. It has all the features you could need including effects lop and a clean channel and 2 overdrive channels with a separate EQ. I use this amp gigging in medium size halls and wouldn't need to mic it with the cab plugged in it is very loud and holds the tone well. // 9

Sound: The pickups I play with are pretty heavy Seymour Duncans and the amp sounds pretty decent in the bridge position with the gain cranked pretty high I can get pretty good light metal tone but I use a MXR Fullbore Metal for the heavier side of things that the amps overdrive can't quite reach. I'd recommended a chorus pedal for the cleans because they can sound pretty bland unless you mess about with the eq for a bit and at that they are nothing special. The clean stays clean with the volume as loud as you'd dare to go but still aren't impressive. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I could really depend on this amp and have done at many gigs without a backup. The amp has never broke down on me and doesn't look like it will be any time soon! The only annoying thing is for transporting it to its it's pretty heavy at 20 odd kilograms and is pretty big but does the job well when you get to the venue with ease. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like this amp although it isn't the best sounding amp in the world it can sound pretty good paired with some half decent pedals and and pickups. I've been playing for about 5 years and play metal in a metal band and it really does do the job if you're looking for a cheap gigging amp that sounds fairly well, it's hard to tell how good an mp sounds at gigs anyway it's not really something most pay attention too so I'd recommended it or that situation. I bought this amp to replace a 20 watt amp which struggled to be heard and it done that very well and exceeded my expectations as they get quite a bad reception on UG sadly. I just wish it was a bit lighter. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Haze 40 7.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014