Valvestate 8240 Review

9.5
 8.3
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Valvestate 8240 Reviewed by: claptonfan55, on march 05, 2007

Features: From what I've been told this amp was made in 1986, so it's 3 years older than I am. It's definitely versatile enough to handle the types of music I play, mainly blues and classic rock, plus any originals I happen to write. It is a 40 watt combo and has 2 channels to switch between, along with the standard gain, treble, mid, and bass. It also has reverb and chorus, and a contour dial. I'm pretty happy with the features it has, and I don't think I need anymore from it. I use this amp mainly when I'm jamming with friends Who also have amps in that have around 40 watts, and it has plenty of power. It is also a hybrid amp. // 9

Sound: First off, I'm using an Epiphone Dot w/ Seymour Duncan '59 pickups in the bridge and neck. It suits my style perfectly, as I play blues and classic rock. It's a fairly quiet amp, it doesn't really buzz much. The amp is great for Claptonesque tones, which I use a lot. It's also great for emulating the tones of other classic rock stylists, along with some blues stylists. And as the gain goes up to 20, and I've tried it at that level, the amp is also good for heavy metal. The clean channel is good, it has it's own gain knob that will make it distorted if you turn it high enough. The cleans are also good for blues and some jazz. The distortion is very brutal when you have it all the way up. Otherwise, this amp has great distortion. Personally, I play with bass, mids, treble all the way up, gain about 6 or 7, and contour at 0, and I really love the tones in both the clean and distorted channels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this amp. I would use it at a gig without a backup. It hasn't ever broken down, and it only has a preamp tube that doesn't need to be replaced very often. Also, it looks like the previous owner has put my amp through some strenous tests, as it looks dirty and there are some tears in the fabric. But every time I turn it on, I get the same tone that I like, so it's very reliable in my mind. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues and classic rock, and this amp keeps up with me perfectly. I've been playing for a few years now, and I also own a couple of acoustics and a cheap Crate 15 watt amp. If this were lost or stolen, I would most likely buy it again. I really like the distortion and the tones that this amp gets. There isn't anything I absolutely hate on it. I chose it because it's a Marshall and it really had the tone I was looking for. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Haze 40 7.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014