Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack Review

6.7
reviews (3) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack Reviewed by: Nicolini109, on january 04, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This amp is very versatile and can accommodate many styles of playing, I play Metal, Rock, Blues, and Jazz. It does have a clean/distortion switch, but I mainly use the clean channel with some pedals for any lead playing. I use Boss, including a Super Overdrive and Chorus Ensemble, which Zakk used in earlier years. For a 15Watt, this thing packs a punch. It has a cool FDD (Frequency Dependant Dampening) feature which I leave on at all times. This gives the amp a tube driven sound and responds well with the SuperOverdrive. This amp is great for Jam sessions and also has a headphone jack if you need to be quiet. It also has an emulated CD in/out which allows you to play along with computer back tracks as well. I can only recommend this as a practice amp though, as a professional musician, this little guy stays in the bedroom. // 10

Sound: I am using this amp with a '93 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock humbuckers) for a Wylde Metal tone, an Ibanez Artcore AG75 (stock hums) for a clean & mellow jazz sound, or an Ibanez Blazer (SeymourDuncan single coils) for a rich bluesier tone. For these three styles, the shoe fits. Since I play through the clean channel, there are no problems with feedback/noise because I control the gain through the pedals. The clean channel gets a nice natural and overdriven bite to it if you Krank it up past 5. The distortion channel is ok, but I prefer the clean channel with the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 together, they sound more organic whereas the distortion channel on the amp seems a bit oversaturated, that's all personal taste though. The settings I use on this amp with the clean channel are as follows= Bass-10 Contour-5 Treble-4 Reverb-10 (Keeping the FDD feature engaged). I find that with these 10" speakers, the bass comes through really clean and crisp at high volumes so take advantage of that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This MicroStack was designed by Zakk Wylde and Jim Marshall. Now if you know about either of these men, they build to last. This amp is very reliable, durable, rugged, and easy to maintain. There is no doubt that this Marshall made product will last a good 20 years minimum. It will probably be a collector's item one day. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play Metal and Rock and this is the perfect fit. I've been playing for about 11 years now. I also play with a Washburn Dime332, some pedeals I use are the Boss CS-3, CE-5, DS-1, SD-1, and Dunlop Crybaby. If this amp were ever stolen/lost, it would be replaced for sure. I love this amp because it is the perfect size for my apartment where I can't even turn my 2X12 to level "1", and because it produces great tones that are similar to that of a tube amp. My favorite feature is the emulated CD in/out for jamming/practicing. I chose this amp to support my boy Zakk and knew it would be a Killer tool for sharpening my skills on the axe. Bleed Marshall! // 9

Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2010

Purchased from: Xelectrical, Canterbury

Features: This amp is a scaled down version of the stack that Zakk Wylde uses live on stage! It has everything that he loves; golden trim, golden Marshall logos, Gothic font and a Bullseye Head pattern. Choose from Clean or Overdrive channels; E.Q. Bass, Contour and Treble with Reverb. It does lack some effects, though it is still a practise amp and I believe getting some pedals is preferable over built in effects. I mainly use this amp in my bedroom, however it could play a 'small' gig or large room, for a 15 Watt amp it's extremely loud. Though you can get amazing clarity from lower volumes... this is probably one of my favourite things about it. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez ART120MSS with Ibanez pickups, it's a rock/metal guitar... it works perfectly with this amp... however I've used a Fender/Gibson/Epiphone and even Acoustic with this amp and they all sound amazing. Of course there is a general ideology that this is suited for Zakk style music, this is true but it is more than capable of playing many other styles. The amp is VERY loud... it's only 15 watt but due to 2 10" speakers, it's a little louder than any normal practise amp. The distortion is AMAZING... it can be relaxed to give an AC/DC crunchy tone to giving a filthy sounding Slipknot tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp 2nd hand (3 months old)... it is in perfect condition still, not 1 mark or blemish. The material is very durable, as well as the hardware... I have cranked this to 11! It is most certainly durable when played at any level. I would use this in a small pub gig or large school hall type gig, anything more than that I wouldn't think this amp will stand the brutality. This is obviously why it is a scaled amp and a practise amp. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp looks amazing... it is still an impressive site, especially for bedroom playing. The head fonts and bullseye pattern is stunning, it really sets is aside from anything I've seen! The sound is unbeatable for the wattage and size... Don't let the 15 watts put you off... if you practise alot, or play mainly in your bedroom/room then BUY THIS! Do not buy a 50 watt or 75 watt, this will more than do the job. If lost or stolen I would certainly buy again... Its only drawback is that it really does lack effects. Though I stand by my view that detached effects pedals are the way to go with any amp. I have owned a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt, a Line 6 Spider IV 120 watt, Marshall MG50DX and this amp tops them all for what I need. // 10

Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Denver

Features: This amp is like the MG micro stack on steriods, at least as far as the distortion is concerned. It has the two ten inch speaker cabs that sit beneath the 15 watt head. It's got two channels: a clean channel and a distortion push channel that offers a ton of gain even at low volume. The added spring reverb is a nice bonus but in my opinion has to be cranked to get anything out of it. It also has the Frequency Dampening switch that is designed to sound like a tube amp although this is a completely solid state amp. It has an "emulated line out" that doubles as a headphone jack. It has a three band EQ that works for both channels. I mainly bought this amp because although I don't really play metal, it at least gives the user the option to crank the gain on the distortion circuit. The amp is VERY loud for fifteen watts and before I moved into a house with a basement I rarely turned it up past four. You can achieve a wide variety of sounds from it and although it certainly isn't as diverse as my JCM 2000, one can go from a nice clean tone to a low gained distortion to a bone crushing metal sound easily. As far as practicing goes, this amp has the gain, the volume, and the cool look to satisfy most people. It doesn't have a footswitch input and that is the first obvious complaint. The second is the weak reverb followed immediately by the hum and hiss that this amp almost always has at higher volumes. // 6

Sound: I'm currently using a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Special through it and it sounds pretty good. Like I said before, this amp has a lot of additional noise regardless of pickup choice and setting. I can get a decent sound out of the humbuckers but only if used in conjunction of a noise gate. The clean channel stays mostly clear unless its turned up past six in which it starts to break up. This can be a good thing or a bad thing because the gain on the distortion channel is much louder than the clean channels. It's like night and day volume wise. The gain rivals my JCM in that once you go past seven its brutal. As with the EQ on this amp, it struggles to really deviate between tweaks, that is you can't really get much in between a 5 or a 10; its basically the same. As mention before the reverb doesn't hold up unless its maxed out at ten and then it sounds pretty good. It has a nice spring decay that can almost work for surf. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You can't really move this amp easily because it's in three awkward pieces. I haven't had any technical problems with it however. It's been pretty dependable as far as practice amps go. It's been through three house moves and it's still in really good shape. // 8

Overall Impression: I've owned this amp for about four years and it's done the job. I wouldn't gig with it because of the excess noise it produces and the awkwardness of transporting it. It can however keep up with the rest of the band because it sounds much louder than fifteen watts. As far as looks go, it's dynamite. The checkered grille looks awesome and the additional graphics on the head look intimidating. It's limited edition and as far as I know Marshall doesn't make it anymore so it's becoming scarce. From that perspective, I'll hold on to it but from a strictly sound perspective, it simply can't keep up with larger model "more professional" models. The lack of footswitch is irritating. Marshall probably should have made a few minor tweaks to this before it released it as I've played the Dave Mustaine mini stack and it's got more features and it's similar in price. Overall though it does the job for what it is. // 7

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014