Nomad 100 Review

manufacturer: Mesa Boogie date: 05/03/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Mesa Boogie: Nomad 100
100 Watt, Spring Reverb, Output Level Control, Solo Level Control, Parallel FX Loop w/Mix Control, 3 Fully Independent Channels.
 9.1
 8.2
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Nomad 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Features: Well Folks I just committed to a brand new 2004 Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 and 4X12 boogie Rectifier Cabinet. This three channel beast is where it's at for me. I'm blues/rock, jazz player and this amp tone has that vintage tone with modern High lights. I haven't utilized the effects loop as of yet but coming from the front of the amp is better. I'm still learning this amp but it really didn't take me long to dial in a bad to the bone setting for each channel. The Five band EQ is the icing on the cake, can't beleive I lived with out a feature like this, all these years. The 100 watt head is all I need to those four twelves. You can go from warm a gentle on channel 1 to purring blues on channel 2 to sizzling fussion leads on channel three with every note being heard with dynamics and harmonics that stand all other amps. I have used Marshall, Peavy, Ampeg V4 (that amp, I miss!), Kustom and a Fender Twin. The Nomad is the best yet. // 10

Sound: I have a 1969 Gibson ES345 Stereo I use an American Strat with Texas custom specials pickups,a screamer, but the sweetist sounding guitar through the Nomad, is my Les Paul Classic with A Seymore Duncan 59 at the neck and a Seymore Duncan JB at the bridge. That's right. Nothing but Jammin' baby! There are so many tones I can achieve with this baby, still have to find some more. We play a lot out door and concert gigs so I needed a amp that could stand up to the challenge, I found that in the Nomad. I'm a finesse' player that needs a cache of tones, and the Nomad is what the doctor ordered. I haven't had it long but I can tell you this. Daddy is happy! The distortion attacks with a vintage dominating sound that's pure but warm. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had it long enough yet, to know how realiability is, but I know cats that have had Mesa Boogies for years and they're happy with the durability stamina of the Boogie product. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a blues/rock, and jazz guitarist this amp is the perfect match for. I started playing when I was 7 years old I'm fouty eight now, a lot of years, wow 40 years! I'd buy this amp again and again I love everything about it, I was a little concerned with the reverb being a little shallow on channels 2 & 3 but after dialing the reverb in on those channels they have a nice wet sound, very nice not overly saturated. // 10

Nomad 100 Reviewed by: scottb630, on may 03, 2011

Purchased from: Online

Features: A 3 Channel head that absolutely ROCKS! (or fusion). 4x6L6's, which means channel 1 has a Twin-ish clean, even at high volumes. The 2nd channel is great for crunch or rhythm (can be heavily distorted if desired). The 3rd Channel is all the overdrive / distortion you'd ever want and more. The Solo button (on the foot switch), when you need to be out front (leads). A 5 band eq allows you to tailor your tone from classic to deep chug. I believe this is one of the most under-rated amplifiers out there. The trick?! A decent cabinet with good speakers. I've been using a Fender Birch-ply cabinet with 4x12 Celestion G12T-75's. Or a Mesa 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's in it. // 10

Sound: I have used everything from a Strat, Les Paul, P90's, PRS, Gretch Hollowbody through this amp, all have been excellent and quick to dial in. I play in a classic rock band, with occasional modern music. This amp covers it all. The knobs on each channel allow for decent variations and each channel has it's own Gain, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb knob(s). Channel Switches: 1.(Clean/Pushed) 2.(Vintage/Modern) 3.(Modern/Vintage). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for several years, NEVER had a problem with it. As any tube amp requires, change the tubes once in a while (when they get dull or lifeless sounding, or every few years (if you don't play it constantly). Use decent tubes (not the cheapest you can find). I've been using Winged-C's for power tubes and Ruby HG+ 12AX7's. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar since 1972 (long time!). I Also own 2 Fender Twins (one sliver face, one Modern Tube Series), a Vox AC100CPH (another GREAT! Head), Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb series II, A Marshall JCM 900, Ceriatone HRM 100. If I lost the Nomad 100, yeah, I'd look for another one, I can play it in clubs at lower volumes or outdoor concerts where the volume will blow your head off! Love almost everything about it. Dislike? Hmmm 3rd channel can be a little hard to dial in, if you're not used to the amp. // 10

Nomad 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Price paid: $ 1975

Purchased from: Long and mcquade

Features: With this amp, I have found tones for all types of blues, hard rock, anything. A really nice feature is a terrific reverb setting for each channel (there are 3 indipendent channels). Carlos Santana uses this amp, and it was him that asked mesa to add a indivigual reverb setting, it was also him that said that 'this mesa really boogies'. You have the choice of two types of 'settings' on each channel, clean/pushed, and modern/vintage, vintage/modern. this amp is very simple to use, although there is 18plus knobs on the front panel it takes all of three minuets to realise that each amp has it's own chontrols that replicate the other's controls. The only control that they each share is the solo output and the option of playing at 60 or 100 watts. All of these features combined make a good start of a great amp. // 10

Sound: I find that this amp produces better sounds when soloing rather than playing chordes (although i think my standards may be a little high here). But compared to the Fender Twin I used to play this amp kicks ass when it comes to just playing chordes. Suprisingly the dirtiest noise that you can get out of this thing comes out of the clean/pushed amp setting. I've played this amp in cramped basements, out side, and in great big (often empty!) high ceilinged rooms, and the sounds just impress me more and more. This amp probably doesn't get as gritty as a Marshall, but it is cleaner, and deserves the mark that i have given it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet had to fix a thing on this amp. If I had the cash for a second amp i might carry it as a backup, (but hey, even Eric Clapton had his amps break down in LA!). I think we have all seen what happens when equipment doesn't work. I have to give this product a 5 here because in over a year of heavy use (2plus hrs a day) I haven't had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: the only problem I have with this amp is it's name, I'm sorry but having Marshall on the front just says something. But thats just a man hood thing (Hendrix, page, Clapton, all used Marshall amps). But of course some other greats (santana, robbie Kreager (the doors), pete townstede, the rolling stones all used mesas.) But after getting over being shallow i have to choose the mesa because of how well it works with playing the blues, all of the intricies that you do on the fret board come out of the amp, I love it. I would have no hesetation on buying this amp one more time! Of course I would have to look at the other products around (hey a year has passed!). Compared to the new F series (I only played this once) this is a much more vintage style of amp and vintage is what I am going for. // 10

More Mesa Boogie reviews rating category latest review