Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp Review

manufacturer: Mesa Boogie date: 08/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Mesa Boogie: Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp is a 2 rack space guitar amp designed for recording obviously. It also is designed to run with the Mesa Boogie Stereo series of poweramps. Nothing on the market compares. Great for blues, rock and metal.
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp Reviewed by: shreddinater, on august 06, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1500

Purchased from: Ellaways

Features: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp is a 2 rack space guitar amp designed for recording obviously. It has 6 x 12AX7 tubes and has a totally analogue circuitry. It has 2 fully independent channels - 6 different modes - Clean, Fat and Brit (channel 1) or Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain (channel 2) It also has Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass and Presence controls. It has 3 outputs- Live, Recording and Solo and also has separate stereo outputs for main and recording outputs. It also is designed to run with the Mesa Boogie Stereo series of poweramps. Comes with a 2 button footswitch. // 9

Sound: I use an Ibanez S5470, Ibanez EGEN8 and Ibanez S470 with this pre-amp and I think this amp suits these guitars nicely. I have a TC Electronic G Major and Rocktron Gainiac 2 hooked up to her at all times. I use this set up for recording late at night through headphones mostly because it is the only tube amp I own that I can use without a speaker cabinet. I own virtual amps racks and amp simulater VST's (Line 6 Pod X3 Pro, Roland GR-55, NI Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 3) that I can use without a speaker but the Mesa beats them all hands down for playing metal and rock through headphones. And being all tube it reacts like a real rectifier. It also records beautifully. My only complaint is that if it's not tweaked properlaly she sounds a little muddy but turning down the mids and the gain and applying a little gain from the Rocktron Gainiac 2 fixes that problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank and very solid inputs, switches and knobs. Made in the USA and to me that still means something. Never missed a beat in 4 years. Tubes still going OK after 4 years. Hell I've never heard a bad thing about this unit but it really didn't take off but that's probably due to it's high price. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp was on my wishlist for 1 and a half years but at $3400 AUD I just couldn't warrant the expenditure since I had never had the chance to demo it. Then I walked into the music shop one day and it was sitting on the specials table for $1500 as a ex-demo. I thought all my Christmas's had come at once and I gladly went without food for a couple of weaks to afford it. I write some of my best music at 3 in the morning so to have an all tube amp that you can plug into your desk and just go for it is a dream come true. It is very versatile and although it's speaker emulation could never quite be up to a nicely mic'd Dual Rectifier it does a very good job. My only gripe is that it's effects loop is'nt stereo. Nothing on the market compares. Great for blues, rock and metal. // 8

More Mesa Boogie reviews rating category latest review