Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2 Review

manufacturer: Mesa Boogie date: 01/20/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Mesa Boogie: Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2
I play in a classic rock band that does a few modern rock songs, this amp covers it all very well! This amp sounds good with any guitar I've used.
 Features: 9.5
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (2) pictures (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2 Reviewed by: scottb630, on february 08, 2012

Purchased from: Binghamtone Guitars & Amplifiers

Features: Rect-O-Verb Series II (New). I play in a classic rock band that does a few modern rock songs, this amp covers it all very well! Channel 1 for clean, I run a Chorus & Delay through the effects loop and a Wah & Overdrive between the guitar and input jack of the amp. I've played live at small and large clubs, I've used it outdoors (using a 2x12 cabinet with it). 50 Mesa Watts are better than most 100 watter's out there. All tube (2x6L6's & 12AX7's)... TUBES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Use good ones, not the cheapest you can find! // 10

Sound: I can play everything from, 50's Elvis (slap-back delay, clean), to Classic rock (Skynyrd, Stones, Doobies, Grand Funk, Journey etc.) to more modern Green Day, Simple Plan, to Metal. I mostly play PRS guitars, but have used a Gibson 335, a Tele, a Strat and a Gretsch through it... All work just fine with a minor tweak to adjust for each guitar's characteristics. The clean Channel is nice and chimey... Unless you switch it to "Raw" mode, then you get the cross between clean and break up (very bluesy sounding). The 2nd Channel has Raw, Vintage or Modern. I tend to use Raw for most things, Vintage for that darker Santana tone. I only use Modern if I really want that over the top overdrive for Drop 'D' or 'C' tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for several years, not a single problem with it. I change the tubes when they get dull sounding (I prefer Winged 'C' with this amp). This amp is not hard on tubes (but I don't play all metal at full volume either). For preamp tubes, I like Ruby HG+ or Electro-Harmonics. JJ's and Tung Sols have too much gain/overdrive (for my taste). // 10

Overall Impression: I think PRS and Mesa Boogie are a fantastic match; like a Tele (or Strat) and a Twin, or a Les Paul and a Marshall. This amp has been used by Good Charlotte & New Found Glory, so it's obviously good enough for them! This amp sounds good with any guitar I've used. This amp is a little on the darker side on the 2nd channel(as compared to some other amps) and can be a little Mid strong on the 2nd channel as well, but that can be tamed with the correct adjustments on the knobs. This has been a reliable piece of gear for several years for me (at least 7 or 8) and I have practiced and gigged with it regularly. Mesa's are pretty much bullet proof and the company is great to deal with! I also have a Nomad 100 and a Lonestar, and have owned a DC-5 and Mark IV in the past. Never had a problem with any of them. // 10

Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2 Reviewed by: 311ZOSOVHJH, on january 20, 2014

Features: This is the Mesa Single Rectifier Series 2 Rect-O-Verb 50. It is a 2 channel amp with a dedicated clean and dirty channel. Within each channel are modes which are accessed via dip switches as shown below. On the Clean channel there is Clean/Pushed. On the Dirty channel there is Raw/Vintage/Modern. Some research tells me that this amp was made in 2000 and is a "Series 2" amp in that it has three modes for the dirty channel instead of just two. There is a global output (master) volume control as well as a global solo boost volume control. Each channel from right to left has Gain-Treble-Middle-Bass-Presence-Reverb-Master Volume. On the back you have a Slave out, 4 and 8 ohm speaker outs, a bias switch for 6L6 or EL34s, FX Mix control, FX in and out, and Channel 1 and 2 switch. I wish this switch was on the front. It amp channels are footswitchable though and luckily GC had one from an F-30 and they gave me that. I can't think of too many more features I would want on here. // 9

Sound: Tone wise, this is pretty much what I've been looking for. It is kind of everything the Splawn is lacking. The Splawn is super articulate and well built for sure but is also fairly dry and mid heavy. The Single Rec is more saturated and modern - which is pretty much what I was looking for. I can get those things out of my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 as well and the Recto and Diezel channels on that amp are pretty good imo, but nothing beats the real deal. Also, the cleans on the Mesa are really really nice to my ears. They have chime, pop and bloom which the Splawn clean channel lacks. So the Mesa has a "decent" mid gain tone but not as smooth as the Splawn. To get what I want out of the Splawn I have to use an OD pedal up front and an EQ pedal in the loop. What I like about the Mesa the most is the unadulterated grind. As Munky from Korn calls it - "The Tractor." This amp has the Tractor.

The only downside that I can find is that there is not that much headroom on the Clean Channel. It gets overdrive pretty easily. Also - the reverb is broken in mine so I can't comment on that. Very happy overall with the sound, and actually a bit surprised at how good the cleans are. There is a certain level of one dimensionalism but the modes on the channel all work as advertised and do provide flexibility there. It is also a bit boomy in the low end. Therefore, I am giving this amp an 8/10 on tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As you can imagine, the Build Quality is on par with the Mesa heritage of making sturdy well built amps. The wiring is real clean and there are no loose parts or anything that looks shaky. You can tell the amp was not slopped together. I feel like I could drop it from shoulder height onto concrete and it would still work. The pots all have a nice even control (resistance) to them and have a quality feel. The jacks are all very solid as well. I will post some gut shots later. My only complaint is that the tubes are PCB mounted but the PCB is reinforced under the sockets so I never got a bad feeling even when pushing down real hard on the tubes. Mine came with a pair Fender branded Groove Tube 6L6Bs and mostly JJ preamp tubes minus one Mesa branded Russian 12AX7-A phase inverter. I tried a few other preamp tubes including a JAN 5751 and some Groove Tube 12AX7s and it seems to sound best just the way I received it. My next test is to put my JJ 6L6s in there to see if I can hear a difference.

The Transformers have a fair amount of rust or something on them but I guess that can be expected considering the amp is 13 years old. There were a few scratches on the tolex but luckily they are on the underside of the headshell. The hand strap is ripped a bit in one place as if it has been lifted up and down a lot. Luckily I won't be moving it around too much. The chassis itself and faceplate are all in great shape which was somewhat surprising. So cosmetically I give it an 8/10. The leather handle is somewhat ripped due to what appears to be a lot of lifting. The amp overall is just in really good condition for its age and the quality shines through in all aspects. I could do without the cheap plastic connectors for the power transformer leads though. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I am very impressed. To be honest, I was a little uncertain at first due comments I've heard about a loose low end and not having a lot of articulation. Once I got it dialed in at home most of those concerns have faded - although it is a bit boomy. My clip will give you a sense of this. Some parts are very articulate and some are boomy. I would recommend this amp to others. Here is a link to my NAD thread which also contains pictures and gut shots along with a link to some clips of the amp. // 8

More Mesa Boogie reviews rating category latest review