Strategy 400 Review

5.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Strategy 400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Scottsdale Guitars

Features: Two channel (right and left), power amp only. Rack mounted, tube, monster beast! More power than humanly needed! Either 200 watts per (L/R) or 400 watts bridged. Don't know if it's recommended, but I have used all the speaker outputs and powered a wall of cabinets. No problem, nothing, but sound! // 10

Sound: It is difficult to overdrive this amp. I tried many different distortion devices and preamp combos. Finally, I found a preamp that has enough distortion to make the beast scream (a Peavy, believe it or not). The combo is brutal and deadly, giving you the perfect hardcore/metal tone that rips through no matter what environment you are in. I never needed to be miked at any show no matter how big the venue. The only downside is I can never seem to get a decent clean tone. Very thin and harsh. Still, if you are getting this type of amp, you obviosuly are going to have more than one amp (and not be playing in your room). Just buy one you like the clean tone of and use this baby for the God-tone it was designed to pump out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used almost every kind of amp out there, and this is the only one that always sounds just right and doesn't take fiddling to get a sound I like. Plus, it's not temperamental with the weather. I actually got rid of the rest of my amps, because this is all I need. Never had a problem, handled every situation. Couldn't be a better amp out there. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I say? Bravo, Mesa Boogie! If you are a working musician, and need lots of power, here's your beast. // 10

More Mesa Boogie reviews rating category latest review