Triple Rectifier Review

manufacturer: Mesa Boogie date: 09/07/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Mesa Boogie: Triple Rectifier
Sure, single channel boutique sweeties are all well and good, but sometimes you've just got to have a three-channel, 150W, triple-rectified all-valve rock monster. Well, look no further.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Features: 9.2
 8.9
reviews (9) 105 comments vote for this gear:
Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2006

Features: This is the newer version of the triple rectifier with three channels, clean, overdrive 1, and overdrive 2. 150 watts of tube power. it comes with a five button footswitch labeled, ch 1, ch 2, ch 3, solo, FX. I play mostly death metal, hardcore, and a little bit of blues. I use this amp almost everyday to practice with my band and its absolutely enough power for me. Besides reverb, there is nothing that I would add to this monster! // 9

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom Ebony with stock p/ups, and a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser with EMG 707's. Surprisingly, its not noisy at all(unless you have it fully cranked and you are standing two feet away from it) Its been said that the trip rect is a tweeker amp, meaning that maxing everything out will make it sound stupid, and its true. However, if you resort on these kind of setting you prolly shouldnt be playing on of these bc the settings I have dialed in absolutely annihilate anything I've ever played before. The clean channel is pretty god for watever, I just wish it would break up better but I rarely use it anyway, the pushed feature on the clean channel allows for a soft, bluesy dist. The second channel is a good channel for more of an older rock sound as the distortion is a little looser, which when dialed in right is capable of an amazing blues tone imo. The third channel which is a more brutal distortion channel than the second with an amazing low end thum and perfect highs. I'm running it through a Marshall JCM800 slanted cab and I think its the best possible mix around. Since Marshall cab are made for high midrange its safe to say that this makes the trip rect sound even more aggressive than playing with the standard mesa cab(which I found to be extremely muddy, with poor midrange and treble. WHen I have the channel volume around 12 o'clock and the master output at around 9'oclock shit will fall down form my walls. All in all its the best distortion I've ever heard from an amp due to its absolutely monstrous low end and crunch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never had anything happen to it, I've had it for 6 months. // 10

Overall Impression: For the music I play its a perfect match, I've been playin for about 5 years, and I consider myself far far ahead of my peers in terms of technicality of playing. I also have a Marshall dsl 100 watt head and when you lay these side by side it makes the Marshall seem like a practice solid state amp. its a shame to see the garbage Marshall has been producing. If it were stolen or lost id def get another one, theres just that much to love about it. My only comlaint is that it doesnt have reverb which is ok bc I dont play and emo shit or magic metal or w/e. I played a Framus Cobra, and Engl Savage, and a Peavey 6505. The trip rect just stood out as it had this amazing fullness to its tone and bone crushing low end. // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2007

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp was made in, but I do know it's the newer version of the triple rec's because it has 3 channels (the older versions had only 2). The amp is versatile enough for anybody Who plays hardcore/metal/death metal/etc. It has a 5 button footswitch that allows you to choose from the three channels, plus two other switches that let you 'boost' your sound (solo button) or activate your guitar effects line (FX switch). After having it for a while, I do wish somewhat that it had a reverb, but then again, that's what pedals are for. I use all of the setting. Nothing on the amp is unnecessary or useless. You will use all of the settings to dial in your sound. This amp would deafen you if you played it at full power. And I am not kidding at all. It's so loud. Great for if you have a loud drummer. // 10

Sound: I use an ESP LTD EC 1000 (nearly perfect guitar, would highly recommend it) with active EMG pickups. I play mostly death metal/metal/hardcore/punk and this suits all three perfectly. Amazingly, the amp is quiet. And I mean quiet. There is no buzzing from feedback. There is a slight buzz from the tubes, but I mean, when you are running an amp with that many tubes, there is bound to be something, but compared to my last amp (Behringer piece of garbage half stack) it is pretty much mute. This amps gain is probably the best in the world. If you want heavy low end, this is it. It is the holy grail of high gain amps. The 'modern' gain setting is what people buy the amps for. Not the 'Vintage' or 'clean' settings. They leave something to be desired. The clean channel is good, but a bit too bassy for my likings, even when the bass is turned all the way down. It could possibly be from my guitar and pickups, but either way, I do wish there was more of a mid and treble range on the clean channel. The Vintage channel is a bit too bassy for me, but then again, I must compare those with their usage, which is nil. I bought this amp for it's 'peel paint off the walls' gain, and it fully delivers. It's great not needing a whole rack of effects to get the heavy heavy sound of today's modern metal. Add a reverb pedal to your effects line to thicken up the sound a bit, and it'd the ultimate amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The thing's a tank. It feels like it weighs 4 tons when you're moving it, but once you get it where you need to put it and plug it in, you remember why you lugged it to where you did in the first place. It has never broken down. The tubes will need replacing, as with all tube amps, but not for about a year or so. // 10

Overall Impression: This is made for heavy music. I've been playing for 4 years and I do not ever plan on buying another amp ever again. This is the 'cadillac' of high gain amps. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy a Dual Rectifier just because it'd be easier to carry around, not because I like the sound more or less (I've tried them both, they sound nearly exactly the same). I love the amp's gain. It's what I bought it for, and it delivers and goes above what I expected. // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: speedinc, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: Elderly Music, Lansing Mi

Features: This is a late model Triple Recto with 3 channels. 1 clean and 2 overdrive. The clean channel can be switched between a clean sound and a pushed clean tone. I prefer the clean tone, which has a bluesy Fender type of clean. Pushed sound more grungy and dirty type of clean tone. Both distortion channels can be indivualy switch between vintage, raw or modern distortion. I use channel 2 for Vintage distortion which sounds somewhat like an older Marshall. Channel 3 I use in Modern distortion which can go from easy to melt your face distortion, I have set it to have a Mark Tremonti, Jerry Cantrell, Tool-ish type of sound. The triple recto can be switched between tube or silicon diode rectification. It has a setting for bold or spongy power control, and a bigfoot 5 button footswitch. It also has a solo setting for a boost of power for louder solo's (my other guitarest in my band hates that. It uses 6-6L6 power tubes, 5-12ax7 preamp tubes, and 3-5U4 Recto tube. This creates a extremely loud 150 watts, to really piss-off your neighbors! // 10

Sound: I use a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Gothic. My clean sounds somewhat like a Slash mixed with SRV's cleans. My channel 2 sounds like Slash mixed with Led Zepplin. And my most used distortion channel, number 3 sounds like Mark Tremonti and Zakk Wyld mixed. This is perfect for me. I finally have my own signature tone (of course I'm not well know, yet). This is definitly the most versitile amp I've every played on. You can get almost any sound with it. It really is incredible! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, many guitarests use Mesa, and I've never heard of anyone having any problems. And I haven't had any problems yet. You can depend on this amp! I believe that you could depend on this amp as your only amp for concerts. I haven't had to use a backup amp yet! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a mix between Modern rock, Classic rock, and blues. I've been playing guitar for almost 11 years, and I've wanted this amp the whole time. I finally have the perfect amp for me. It isn't cheap ($1800 brand new) but it's worth every penny. It has the best distortion I've ever heard. If it were stolen I would spend years tracking the person Who took it, and kill them (or just call my home-owner's insurace and try to get money) but I would definity buy a new one. I only wish it had reverb, but most high-end amp don't. This is my favorite amp in the whole world! I incourage you to save up and buy one now! // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: SGKIDD, on december 12, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: FX loop enables a total out put controll and solo boost option available via foot switch. Also has the option to be run on silicon Diodes for rectification, and has a "old" Spongy" setting for pwer out out. Can be biased for EL-34's. Think that covers it? Very versitle. Loads of tonal variables. // 10

Sound: All of my guitars produce amazing tone on any channel. Clean channel breaks up a but even when not using the pushed mode (add a little gain) but this is a good thing in my book! lower gain setting are sparkly clean, Fender esque. Channel two: vintage mode (classic rosk to hard htting rock sounds (think Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Kenny Wayn Shepherd, lead tones such as Tremonti, to Haynes, to Yngwie style tones with a stcked single coil). Channel three: mainly modern mode sometime Vintage. Much much darker, more volume, more gain,, loads of sustain, great for metal and drop tunings, great mid range response. On Vintage mode is good for lightr sounding grind metal, and lower gain ballads, as is channel 2 good for ballady stuff. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Tank. No back up. Maybe fuses, but no backup amp. Tubes go fast when you crank her, think of replacing them every six months to a year. I bought mine used, late '90s model, right around the addition of the "raw" setting. Great addition but I don't use it. Loads of great customer support via website. Love Mesa engineering they have the nicest people. Also, stick with ither Mesa tubes, or Ruby tubes. // 10

Overall Impression: Rock/metal/hard rock/alternative/punk/'80s rock-metal amp does it all, could do other styles as well, country clean, chicken pickin, to jazz, to classic rock, to death metal to ska? I paired this up to a Marshall JCM2000 DSL-50, Marshall JCM2000 TSL-100, Framus Cobra, Engle Power Ball, and a Peavy 6505. In all aspects it outperformed, and out toned (is that a word) all of the amps had too much compression where the Mesa had just enough. The framus wasn't saturated enough, the engle was perfect minus the fact it had a flimsy mid contour, marshalls were very very bright and middy, no low end (not enough for me at least) and the Peavy had no cleans to speak of, plus a much buzzier sounding gain structure. The triple Recto beat them all hands down. // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: joyous_pain1221, on may 03, 2008

Features: The amp was made in '07. The amp is extremely versatile, I can play John Mayer, Norma Jean, AVA, Dashboard Confessional, and DMB all with little tweaking, and of course the inevitable tuning. It has three channels, all footswitchable, and it has a solo button/channel, for that extra scream. It has no effects, except the output control, and no headphone jack. I can't really think of any other desirable features. And nothing I don't use. I play in my band practice room, with blacklights, strobes, and cool stuff like that. It is a tube amp that can also handle silicon diodes. // 9

Sound: I am using it with the Gibson ES-335 Diamond cut, all colors, ES-339's and The Tom DeLonge Es-335, all with Humbuckers, minus the Delonge, which has dirty Fingers. It suits my style, which is the AVA type stuff. It's noisy, but only on high volumes, and in any environment. The first time I hit distortion, I thought a T-Rex was pissed off, the distorion is that good. It's almost scary. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, truly, I use a backup, but that's only for my other cabs. It has never broken down, but requires little maintainence, much like an AK-47, but with more power. I've spilled water on it and still had it work. In fact it is so durable I kept it on for 24 hours and didn't turn it off, nothing happened, she played through the solid day! I never would expect it to break down. The only real maintainence it dusting and replacing the tubes. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great match for anyone playing AVA stuff, actually it's great for anyone, except acoustic players. I have been playing a year. I own a bunch of ES-335's, ES-339'S and things of the like. I own a bunch of Mesa cabs and Boss pedals. I didn't worry about questions, due to past experiances. I would kill the person Who took it, and most definatley get a new one. My favorite feature is being able to crank the volume like nobody's business. I compared it to the Dual Rectifier. I chose this due to mre channels. I wish it had one of those mini hule bobbleheads on top! Hope this helps! Love, Caleb. // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: Muramasa, on june 19, 2009

Purchased from: music-go-round

Features: My Triple Rectifier was made in July of 2000. Only 2 channels on this one (Vintage Orange and Modern Red). This is one of the last of the 2 channel rectifiers made. This amp has lots of different settings: Bold/Spongy, Silicon diode/tube rectifiers, channel cloning which allows you to make the modern red channel sound like the Vintage Orange or vice versa. It also has a parallel FX loop and a slave out. Its 150 watts of power, 6 6l6 power tubes, 5 12ax7s, and 3 rectifier tubes gives it a grand total of 14 tubes. It has more power than I could ever need but the bigger power transformer gives the Triple Rectifier a unique tone. I really couldn't ask for more. // 9

Sound: I'm running Gibson Les Paul Studio, TC Electronics Nova System and a Oversized Rectifer cab. I can cover alot of tonal ground with this setup. I mostly play modern rock like, Seether, Hurt, Rise Against, Smile Empty Soul and Breaking Benjamin. This amp is perfect for these styles, I run my gain on the red channel at noon and it gives me the perfect blend of clarity, punch and saturation. Even at high gain settings this amp is not very noisy, it does have a slight hum but that part of the territory. The clean on the Vintage Orange channel is very good for a high gain amp. Its not a shimmering clean but it can sound very good with the gain around 10'o clock and the presence turned up a bit and add some reverb. I can get an almost Acoustic sound with middle pickup position on my Les Paul and these settings. I enjoying fingerpicking songs like "Broken," "Sweet Delilah" and strumming though songs like "Rain," "Ohio" and "Needle and the Damage Done." It seems like whatever I want to do this amp can get me there. One of the questions for this section, "Is the clean channel distorted at high vloumes?" the answer is no. You'd make your ears bleed trying to get the clean channel to power tube break up. I mostly use this amp in my bedroom and it sounds good even at low volumes. the reason for this is Mesa rectifiers get there sound from the preamp and not the poweramp like most other amps which allows this amp to sound good at bedroom levels. Don't worry, I also crank this amp when no one is home and it sounds amazing at higher volumes. I can't help but give this a 10 in the sound department. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure I can depend on this amp. I don't have a backup for this amp, but I always have extra tubes and fuses just incase something happens. It has not broken down on me yet. Mesa is great with customer service. I called to order a tube guard for my amp, no one answered so I left a message and the got back to me in 30 min. // 8

Overall Impression: For modern rock this amp is perfect. It does take patience when setting up this amp, the eq reacts like no other amp I've had. It took me a few weeks of twisting and turning to find the perfect sound. Read the manual, it will explain how the eq works and will save you alot of headache. Eq with your ears not your eyes. I'm going to give it a 9 because there is always room for improvement. // 9

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: LORD-OF-GUITAR, on july 25, 2007

Purchased from: Drinking Gourd

Features: The mesa Triple Rectifier I bought is a 2006. The only actual reason I needed this amp was because it's uber loud, the distortion is like no other, and the punch on it feels like I've been kicked in the chest by a kangaroo. The the three settings on the two distortion channals (raw, Vintage, and modern) get what ever distortion needed. Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, whatever! With 6 preamp tubes and 3 recto tubes, you can't walk away from this amp. // 10

Sound: Right now I use a guitar a made with a dimebucker treble and a pearly gates rythem. I play a lot of thrash metal and I like a lot of punch so the the bass, drums, and guitar can meld together. This amp works perfect with an Ibanez tube screamer, so there isn't too much distortion but just the right amount. When dialed in, it can kick someones ass up and down an arena. The clean channel has no distortion problems unless set to mild distortion. This amp gets the job done. // 10

Reliability & Durability: There is no need to worry about it. The amp has lasted for a while and when I get there is no need to worry about a back up or anything. I havn't needed it serviced and the tube life is astounding. The are so far no dings or scratches or marks, it is still in the shape I bought it. This amp could take a sledge hammer (though recommended not to try). This amp was built to last // 10

Overall Impression: There is much more to say but for heavy music, hell even any rock this thing is does what is supposed to do, kick every other amps ass. Personally, reverb would be handy but I use a GNX4 so I don't need it. Also if there were and opption to lower the wattage that would help with practicing at lower volumes. Don't be hesitant to try this amp, if you don't like it, that's alright. If you love it, you'll be glad you tried it. // 9

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2010

Purchased from: GC Dallas

Features: This one SN R-034076 was made in 2004. I called mesa and they confirmed it. Its a three channel affair with each channel offering quite different flavours of tone. I play rock so this amp fits what I tend to do, but so does Marshall (TSL100 and JVM410. The channels pop a little when switching and always have on this one. I had a Road King Mk1 once and actually did not like that - the sounds were hard to get. This is a monster when it comes to power - 150 watts and no way to shut it down, so if you play at low volumes then you can't get that sound. The TRecto is VERY picky with its settings - and I really mean that. This is the SECOND one I have. I bought the first one new and it was not good to my ears, but this second hand one is far superior sound wise. Why? I never fathomed that out, maybe the other one was a monday amp or maybe I just could not set it up right - but this one I can, so I reckon it was the amp. Try yours before you buy it. // 10

Sound: I use Ibanez, Strats and Les Pauls. This amp in my view is great for the humbuckers and less great for the strat. But you knew that already, right? For rock this amp is great. The channel two set to Vintage with diode rectification is an awesome lead channel. I can't get the same out of ch 3 no matter how I try. Ch 1 is also versatile, but ch 2 is it for a really great lead sound. Ch 3 will cut off your head for modern very heavy and drop tuned guitar. No reverb IS a shortcoming no matter what - if you have to spend more for such a universal effect they are taking the mickey a little - this is NOT cheap new. You CAN dial in many sounds from this amp but like I said, it can be REALLY hard to get there. Trust me, you will spend a lot of time finding your sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The mesa stuff from my experience has never let me down in over 20 years of using them. From Mark 3, Mark IV, Triaxis, Road King Mk1 and Triple Recto I have never had a single fault - not even a tube. Bu that's nearly true of the other kit I have I.e. Engl, Marshall, Splawn and others, only one problem and that was on a 72 plexi because some fool messed inside who did not have a clue. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp can be reccommended to anyone who plays rock really. But you will spend time with getting those sounds - to the extent that 1/8 turn on a pot can make it all work for that channel. Write down everything when you find it! I would buy another if it was stolen sure (This is my second one)so its a cool amp. Its heavy and I'm getting older. No reverb does matter and I have to use external effects for that - just another thing to buy and carry. Remember if you try it out you will like channel 3 on modern mode and probably buy the amp, but then it will get hard once you get home with it. Coaxing that tone from channel 2 was quite hard to achieve, but worth the effort. I have been playing since 68 and use lots of kit - checkout www.tonymckenzie.com my website where I review kit sometimes. Given a choice today I would opt for the Road King II or the new Triple Recto 100 so that the volume could be more flexibly used. // 10

Triple Rectifier Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2011

Price paid: $ 2000

Features: 2000 model triple rec. Three channel tube amp with an active eq. All channels have a low mid and hi pots and a gain pot. With a voiceing swich fore each channel. Mine dose not have any reverb with I find dissapointing for what I paid for this amp. The one good thing is the bias swich. Like my Jsx this is great. // 6

Sound: I knew this amp was dark and flabby so I busted out the old Ibanez v blade for this amp but is was to no avail. This is quite possibly the worst sounding amp I have ever played on. Their was no cut or bite to the sound and the eq is way to sensitive to changes in it. You barley turn the mid nob and the sound radicaly changes and none of them are good. The distortion is very buzzy and muffeld almost like their was no treble on but the highest band. The mid nob didn't add mids it just moved the bass up or down more. People said that this amp was a tweeker amp but god damn that you have to fight the amp to get a good sound is f--king retarded. My Peavey jsx sound miles better and the eq is so much easier to use and the mid nob adds mids. Played side by side with my friends Engl Savage this amp is buried in the mix. Bad. I couldnt hear myself at full volume with the savage at about noon. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Well I can't say much about the reliability of it because I didn't own it for that long. I sold it to a buddy of mine and it broke on him 6 months after. He sent it back to mesa and they fixed it. Then the shady asshats sent him a 1000$ bill for repairs. When I owend the amp it look sturdy to me so I don't know why it broke. // 5

Overall Impression: Don't fall for the hype behind this amp. Its not as great at the mesa fans want you to belive. If you want the nu metal scooped sound go for it. If you want to play real metal their are better amps out their for the same price or cheaper. I've been playing for 9 years and I have been using Peavey for 7. My trusty XXX and Jsx were starting to get boring so I went for somthing diffrent and I found it after selling this mistake. If your thinking about buying this look on ebay for a used Engl savage. You can get one for about 1700 and its twice the amp this hunk of junk is. If it were lost or stolen I would decapatate the person who stole it because of the resale value but I wouldn't buy another one. // 1

More Mesa Boogie reviews rating category latest review