Crush 10 Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 05/21/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Crush 10
With a power rating of 10 watts the Crush 10 is the smallest member of the Crush series. Appearances can be deceiving though! Do not let it's diminutive size fool you into overlooking this little wonder.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 8.5
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
reviews (6) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Crush 10 Reviewed by: RHCP Guitar Guy, on september 12, 2005

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: The Crush 10 is a single channel 10W solid-state combo amp, with a three separate equalization controls (low, mid, high), a master volume control, and two separate gain controls. It also has a headphone out jack, which mutes the speaker when the headphones are plugged in. I bought this little amp mainly for practicing, and for that duty, it is very well suited. I suppose you could mike it if you really dug the sound that much, but for me, it's just an "office" unit, I got sick of hauling my big amp upstairs just to monkey around on the guitar a bit. The amp's sound controls are simple to figure out, and easy to adjust. The aesthetics of the unit are hard to resist, cool Orange case, vintage-style grill covering, neat-o Orange medallion. Best part of all is that the amp lives up to its legendary heritage. The sounds that you can procure from this little rig are downright amazing! When I started playing back in '83, I had a Peavey Decade 10 practice amp, which compared to this Orange amp, sounded like a cheesy AM transistor radio. My, things have certainly come a long way since then. // 8

Sound: The guitars I play through this amp are an Epiphone Les Paul, which has a stock neck pickup, and a DiMarzio AF Super Distortion on the bridge; and, a early '90s Japanese Squier Strat. The amp works well with both guitars, on both clean / dirty channels. On the Epi, I can switch from a bright, hollow blues sound, to a nasty, snarling Zeppelin tone with relative ease. The Orange really sounds great with the Strat, esp. with a slightly distorted Stones-style sound (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, etc). If I were to say one thing about the sound, it would have to be that this little Orange does a convincing job of sounding less like a solid-state, and more like a little tube amp. It's very flexible in both clean and distorted settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh yes, it's very reliable, I've sat on it, it's fallen off it's stand a few times, I've left it on for few days, I've played it full volume with all possible boosts on, I've spilled drinks on it, works still perfectly, it's as new. This has probably got to be one of the most reiable amps I have ever owned! // 10

Overall Impression: I won't beat around the bush here, folks. This little Orange amp is a gem. Great sound, great looks, just a out-and-out cool rig. I don't often come across products that flat-out perform like this amp does. The Crush 10 amp is a natch for beginning guitarists, and will surely please the ear of many seasoned players as well. If you need a good practice amp, then look no further. Orange has the best one out there! // 10

Crush 10 Reviewed by: Ghopki02, on december 28, 2007

Features: I have no idea what year the amp was made in but I know that it is 10w, very Orange and has a 6.5" speaker which admittedly makes it sound a bit boxy but for bedroom practice that is fine. My old watson amp was 15w and had a 8" speaker and it still didn't sound as good as this so quality over size. It has 1 channel and no effects such as reverb and just a few dials so there are no effects I don't use. It is solid state, the back is closed and the front is ported and has 2 gain controls for some reason! // 9

Sound: I have a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and my favourite pickup styles is just the humbucker on it's own and 2 single coils. I control the sound via my Zoom G2 and the distortion sounds great and I can get some really nice cleans. I know this sounds shallow but the main reason I love this amp is because of it's looks, it is one hell of a sexy looking amp. It is noisy when I put the gain on full but that is to be expected. The distorion is T3H Br007a1z but that's through my effects box, I have never used the natural distortion of the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definitely wouldn't use this at a gig as the input jack is very temperamental and cuts out from the vibrations sometimes, this happening in a gig would be death! The amp seems quite durable but I wouldn't knock it about too much. I suspect the problem with the jack is just that it isn't soldered properly but opening up the amp and fiddling around is the last thing I want to do as I would probably break it completely, and then I would cry. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp matches my style very well. I can get a very nice saturated blues tone out of it as well as a nice tone for classical playing. I can also get some nice distortion out of it and the 2 gain controls seems unique. I have been playing for 5 months and I own a Watson XL15 and a Zoom G2 and a Yamaha F-310 and a Yamaha Pacifica 112. If this were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one. I would probably go back to using my Watson amp and save for a decent tube combo. I love the sound and the look of this amp but I hate the problem with the jack, I suspect it just need resoldering but I can't be bothered to resolder it. My favourite feature on it is looks (seriously) and I have compared it to a Squire SP-10 which is a nasty little amp and in comparison to this amp it sounds like a pair of poundland speakers. I also compared it to my Watson XL15 and it sounds much better but it doesn't go as loud. Overall a good amp. // 9

Crush 10 Reviewed by: TimBFMV, on february 16, 2009

Price paid: £ 59.99

Purchased from: Guitar, amp and Keyboard Center

Features: The amp has been very versatile to me over the 3/4 years I have had it, although I am looking to upgrade now. It has one channel, 1 input, and one headphone socket, the controls are High, Middle, Low, Master, Gain 1, Gain 2. No overdrive Switch, You just have to use the gain controls. At the moment it doesnt't have enough power for band practising, our drummer has said he can't hear the amp very well. I Play Blues, Classic rock and light metal, and it is allright for all of those. Although even when my guitar is on the coil, it still doesnt't sound very clean through the amp. // 8

Sound: I'm using this amp with an HH coiltapped setup on my guitar with a fixed bridge. It suits most music styles as it is quite versatile, the distortion isnt great though. I have recently realised if I put gain 1 and gain 2 up to max (10) then you get that high pitched feedback. It never used to do that before. It suits my blues and classic rock quite well. It can do OK cleans and OK distortions, this amp would be good for a beginner like I was 3/4 years ago when I bought it. The distortion isnt too brutal. The clean channel gets distorted if you have it too high. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can just about depend on it, I might not use it at a gig because it isnt very loud, the amp has never broken down on me, it has always been pretty reliable. I quite like this amp though, and will probably keep it for a long time. I have never "Neglected it" So with a bit of care it would last a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Blues, classic rock, grunge and light metal (Metallica etc.) with a Cort KX5, and a bunch of effects. I have been playing for 6 years, but for the first four years I was just playing chords. There wasn't much else I could have asked for at the time since I was only 9 years old. I wish it had an overdrive/distortion button not just gain controls. I love the design of the amp, I think it looks really original. If it were to be stolen or lost I would not buy it again since I need something bigger, better, with more effects. I like this amp and would definately reccomend it to beginning players. // 9

Crush 10 Reviewed by: Si-monster, on april 04, 2008

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Features: This sinlge channel 10watt solid state amp comes with dual gain control, master volume, 3 band eq, headphone output and 6" speaker. I use this amp in my flat and it is more than up to the task whether I'm just having a quiet practice late at night or really ripping into it for hours at a time. It comes in the trademark day-glo Orange finish with wicker-style speaker cover and retro Orange emblem. Very stylish. // 9

Sound: Although relatively basic, the Crush 10 delivers fantastic tone and as far as practice amps in this price bracket go it's the best I've used to date. I play my Epiphone Special II through my Ibanez TS7 and Behringer UC200 hooked up to the Crush 10 and it has never delivered less than sweet clean tone, warm chorus and really meaty distortion. I keep the onboard 3 band EQ set midway for that clean sound but I have tinkered with the settings and you can get some really lovely sound variants if you play around. I've not had any problems with distortion at high volumes. If there's a knob for it, the Crush 10 can handle it. The built-in overdrive is seriously loud, though. Crank it up for those window rattling riffs. A little more variety in the EQ depatment would be nice but for a 10w amp this is the business. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My amp dosen't really recieve any punishment so I cannot attest to its durability but it has a really solid construction that seems like it will last a lifetime. I've not had my Crush 10 for a too long so it's still perfect but the only drawback I can see emerging is that the bright Orange finish will look cheap and awful if damaged (as apposed to looking a bit worn and well used) but apart from that I'd give it top marks. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a little of anything from Indie, ballads, metal and classic rock and this amp copes with all beautifully. If it were lost/stolen/destroyed I probaly wouldn't buy another one, I'd upgrade to a 15 or even a 30 watt Crush. I'm completely sold on Orange Crush amps now and compared to the old 10w Marshall I had years ago the Crush 10 is in a different league. It's basic, true, but for it's price I'd have to say it's unbeatable. // 10

Crush 10 Reviewed by: promaster949, on june 02, 2011

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: This is a 10-watt solid state amp featuring one channel, 3 band EQ (Low, Mid High), Master volume knob, and two Gain knobs (Gain 1, Gain 2) and one headphone jack. Has a nice Orange emblem on it. The amp is armed with a 6" speaker, and it makes a perfect practice amp. And it is very orange. Very. You don't need a manual for it, it's simple to use. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Blade Texas Classic, all single coil. I play blues/rock and the amp handles that pretty good. It is a bit darker sounding though. With a little bit of gain added it suits the rock stuff pretty nicely. Without too much gain, it is perfect for blues. The EQ is nice, and you can get a variety of sounds combining the gain and the EQ settings. If you use a booster, then you can make wonders. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, the amp looks pretty rigid. I wouldn't use it on a gig because of the low wattage. The amp has never broken down in any way, I take super care of my gear. I think it would withstand a few knocks and bangs, the thing is solid. It weighs around 7 kilos, I don't know for sure. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a perfect match for blues, my friends. I like to use it with a Marshall Bluesbreaker (with the boost on) and they pair very nice. I mainly play Rory Gallagher style blues and I couldn't have asked for more in a practice amp. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. The thing I like the most that it's really clean and made for blues! Only thing I wish it had is more power though. // 10

Crush 10 Reviewed by: Scott Burright, on may 21, 2013

Purchased from: Used at Musician's Warehouse Athens Ga

Features: Single channel closed back 10w solid state guitar amp with a 6.5" speaker, 3 eq knobs, 2 gain knobs, and a master volume. 3 band eq is a really nice feature in an amp like this. What would make it totally super awesome is spring reverb, but you can't have everything. I like that it doesn't have a lot of stupid digital features that sound fake. This just a simple little amp that sounds nice. It has a headphone jack. Plugging into it cuts power to the speaker. This amp's best feature is a lack of stupid features. So let me say something about the color. Orange looks boss, and it isn't boring, and it's not trying to look all bada-s and metal like some amps. // 9

Sound: I play mostly clean fingerstyle, going for a Chet Atkins kind of sound. I play a Strat-like guitar with single coils and a sort of Paul-ish one with humbuckers. This thing sounds really nice and much bigger than it has a right to. I really like the closed cabinet sound, and something in the amp colors the signal in a nicely musical way. I'd like to know how they do it without tubes or fancy patented emulation circuitry. Sounds nicer and has more character to my ear than amps with digital FX and amp Sims onboard. I actually like it better than my Micro Cube that got stolen. Yes, it has enough power. 10 watts will Drive the speaker more than loud enough to deafen you. Yes it's good enough to gig with. It might not throw the bottom end all the way to the back of a big hall, and then again, it might, but that's what sound reinforcement is for, so mic it. The vast majority of you have way too much amp. If you're worried that it doesn't look serious enough, put it in an empty 4x12 cab and mic that. I guarantee you that no one will know the difference. And your stage volume will stop causing problems. But even on its own, this is quite enough for a small club. And I say that as a guitarist who plays clean with plenty of bottom, ie, I use the headroom! This thing will do a spanky, trebly Fender like sound just fine, but I like a darker sound, and it's really good at that. 3 band eq gets you right where you need to be, and the rest can be done with your guitar's pickup selector and tone and volume pots. The distortion sound seems fine, but if I want that, I'll stick a Tube Screamer or Blues Driver in front of it. Hey, there's your channel switching. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Aside from portability with nice sound, the reliability and durability of this amp are its big strengths. Got mine used, and the dings in the Tolex say it's been Rode hard. Still sounds good as new. There's just not a lot to go wrong on an amp like this, unlike your tube amps and digital wonder amps. It could use something a little more solid for jacks. Otherwise seems pretty bulletproof. I'd gig with it, without backup, but more to the point, this would BE an awesome backup for anyone who gigs with a small to medium sized tube combo. You know how tube amps are. This is a reasonable substitute for most uses, and it will not fail, and it's nothing to throw into the car just in case. // 9

Overall Impression: I play jangle and folk and Americana music derived from bluegrass and country blues. I guess Orange is supposed to make amps for headbangers or whatever, but it suits me to a T. Been playing this stuff 35 years. I own and have owned just all kinds of combo amps, from 100 watt all tube combos to Fender Champ, early Gibson Triode amp, Epi Valve, many other tube amps, and solid state amps both big and small. This is one of the great ones. If it got blowed up, I'd need another, or the new Pix 12, which seems almost exactly the same except for the labels. // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ OR15H 9.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014