Crush 15 Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 11/04/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Crush 15
Featuring an 8" speaker for enhanced bottom end, the CR15 is an ideal amp for in the home, at the studio or on the road. The specially designed preamp stage allows for a wide variety of tonal variation and a headphone out socket allows your band members to catch some sleep while you're rocking out on the tour bus!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Features: 6.8
 7.7
 7.4
reviews (8) pictures (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Crush 15 Reviewed by: theMARSvolta5, on august 30, 2005

Features: To start, I would like to say I am only borrowing this amp but I have been using it bor about a month and this is my impression. I recently became interested in Orange amps because of there unique and versitile sound and have been trying some amps out by them. The Crush 15 is a 15 watt amp with 8" speakers with a clean and overdrive channels. This amp isn't really meant to be a powerfull, onstage amp but was meant to be a practice amp and it gets it done very well. This amp comes in a model with reverb, but I have never tried it. The features on this amp are good considering it is only a practice amp, designed for portiblilty. This amp also has a headphone jack. // 8

Sound: For a 15 watt amp, this thing has quite a big tonal range. The amp's distortion certantly isn't brutal but you won't complain becuase of its size and its meaning. The clean channel on the amp sounds great and the overdrive sounds pretty good. Overall, this amp can crank it for only 15 W. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use a 15 W amp at a gig but this amp will definently take a thrashing if you take it places (as it was supposed to be taken around) so I would never worry about this amp crapping out when you carried it one location to another. Very reliable and durable, you can take this thing anywhere it is perfect for people who want to jam at there friends without having to carry a Marshall stack over to their house. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp has a great sound for such a little guy and is the perfect road amp. It is inexpensive and it can be used anywhere, A very good buy if you go out with your amp and guitar alot. // 10

Crush 15 Reviewed by: ini60, on march 25, 2010

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

Features: I play mostly blues/classic rock in the style of AC/DC, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. I purchased this amp basing on Internet reviews swearing for Orange and, I must say, they arent exaggerating. This little 15 watt solid state amp really meets my approval. With just 3-band EQ, reverb (my model is 15R) and a gain knob (I dont count the volume), this amp can really make a wide range of sounds. However, it doesnt have channel switching, so the changes must be done manually. // 8

Sound: I use it with my Squier Telecaster and it surprises me how such cheap equipment can deliver this amazing sound. It has a real sweet Fender-style clean sound, which is really good for styles such as blues or funk. If you want a bit more gain, the overdrive knob lets you blend in a 60s kind of crunch that suits perfectly any rock song. Besides, the (true) spring reverb lets you dial in a very nice ambience effect, and it can even play Surf. However, despite the high volumen this little amp can deliver, the range for distorion is much smaller, and it cant play anything heavier than The Sex Pistols, so dont use it for metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is absolutely rock solid. Ive treated it badly for over a year and it sounds as the first day. Because its solid state, you dont have to look after it very much, and you can even play a little gig with it without any worries (I played in my high schools talent show in front of 300 people, and everybody could hear it and I didnt have to worry at all). // 10

Overall Impression: I have a very simple gear, Tele-Cry Baby-Fuzz-Amp, but Ive already played a couple of gigs and it responded better than any other solid state amp I tried. When set to a mild distortion, this thing can even emulate a valve sound, and the reverb is simply amazing. When I played Hendrixs "Hey Joe", I was amazed how nice it sounded, especially when playing rhythm. If I couldnt afford a valve amp, I would deffinitely buy it again. // 10

Crush 15 Reviewed by: dr.rock666, on february 16, 2008

Purchased from: schmidt

Features: I'm not quite sure what year it was made in but I'm pretty sure it's from around 2006. Personally, to me the amp sucked. I'm play everything ranging from BB king to Metallica and that amp couldnt keep up with anything. All it has is Master volume, volume, level, a gain switch (that has no change to the sound at all) and that's pretty much it. This is mainly a practice amp for a beginner. But I think even a beginner deserves a better amp than this. // 1

Sound: I started out using this amp with a Fender strat. Then after I got better, I upgraded to a B.C. Rich Warlock NJ series. the amp couldnt even create a decent sound with the Fender. It can get loud enough to give you a headache from how bad it sounds, and the distortion if you can even call it distortion sucks. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I had this amp for about 4 months and it stayed it decent shape, but after I got a new amp, the Orange just started going downhill. It wouldn't turn on for about 5 minutes after you flipped the Switch on. Then it just decided to stop working all together after about 6 months. And I'm almost 100% sure there has been no physical damage to it. // 3

Overall Impression: No matter what kind of music you play I do not suggest this amp for anyone. I've been playing for 7 years and I own a variety of practice amps and stage amps, along with a couple dozen guitars and everything has completely crushed that amp. If this amp were stolen I would feel bad for the person who stole it honestly. // 2

Crush 15 Reviewed by: gsuSchecPlayer, on december 17, 2008

Purchased from: The Music Room (Rome, GA, US)

Features: Clean and Overdrive channels, 15W, 8" speaker (I think). Headphone jack. Hideous Orange color. Closed back so you can't put things like cables, picks, and capos back there. it's an ok first amp for someone trying to find their style, good for practice because you can't play it loud enough to Drive everyone nuts. Considering the price it has a good amount of features. // 5

Sound: I played this amp through a Schecter C1 Hellraiser with EMGs. The distortion is OK but it really doesn't get heavy enough for my liking, the clean channel is a little muddy and not anywhere near as good as that on a Fender Frontman. If you try to turn the volume up past about 8 it starts giving a lot of feedback. If you try to go above about halfway with the gain it just sounds God-awful and that's putting it nicely. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It's a total piece of garbage. I've had it a little more than 6 months and for some reason it's starting to get this really nasty warbled buzzing sound on both channels. It's so bad the clean channel sounds like the distorted one and the distorted one just sounds like crap now. // 1

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything but I've been playing a lot more metal lately. This amp just barely got the job done for a while but that's about it. Now it's just junk. My roomate's Crate amp has about the same specs ($100, 15W, 8-ish inch speaker) and sounds much better... he's also had it over 2 years and it hasn't broken yet. // 3

Crush 15 Reviewed by: Silent_Crow13, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: Matt Smiths

Features: I think the amp was made in china. The Orange Crush 15 has a very good sound for a cheap amp. The sounds produced from the amp are good for many genres It does Classic rock and metal extremly well. It has two channels clean and overdrive. It has Reverb so when used on clean the reverb if used makes it sound elegant and nice. Other then Reverb the controls are very simple which makes it a must for begginers or bedroom practice. I use this amp a lot it may only be 15w but that is plenty, it is really loud and clear even on overdrive you can hear ever note. The feature and everything is basic which is good. // 8

Sound: I use it through all of my guitar but the most common would be my LP knockoff it makes the guitar sound amazing it really does it justice. I play a lot of metal and classic rock I also play some blues it does all of those styles and more. The amp is very very loud I almost never have it past three because my family gets mad. That just on overdrive though the clean channel is not as loud but it is still pretty loud. The amps tones has a large varity I do mess with the settings a lot and the cleanst I've gotton it to sound is close enough to play bluegrass. Thew dirtest is very brutal. The clean channel is clean no matter at what volume. The distortion is very dirty and rude. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very sturdy and dependable I would not gig with it since it's low wattage but it is a very good amp even without the high wattage. I use the amp everyday and have not had any problems with it what so ever. This amp could with stand a few hard blows but I hope it never has to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide varity and it suits them all very well. I'm still a begginer myself and I love this amp. I have ownd a few amp. A Kstom dart 10 and A Marshall Mg10 it blows them both away. I am very pleased with this amp I am glad I bought it. If it were lost or stolen I would proably buy something better but this amp is great to learn on and there is nothing wrong with is it is a decent amp. The only complaint I have is the weight it seems a little heavy for a 15w amp. My favorite feature has to be the tone and color of the amp I'll never loose it in my room with the blaze Orange color. I compared this amp to few other amps a Fender frontman and a peavy Backstage. This amp is much better then both of those. I do with this amp had more distortion options but all in all it is a good amp. // 8

Crush 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2010

Price paid: € 60

Purchased from: other musician

Features: The amp I own has reverb built into it as well as the usual distortion and overdrive that CR15 amps have to offer. I decided to buy myself an electric guitar a few months ago, and have played Acoustic guitar more often, so I am still exploring the world of effects. I like the fact that it has a headphone jack. For now, it is an ideal practice amp. Reverb, distortion, overdrive, 3-way EQ, master, gain, level, volume, distortion button, headphone jack, footswitchable (according to Orange). Have yet to find out which function the footswitch selects. // 9

Sound: This amp has great clean tone, but also has nice distortion and overdrive. I am using it with my Squier Bullet HSS, and am liking what I hear. It suits my style, which is some light (alt) rock and pop. It is noisy when on, which is not a problem. If put onto extreme reverb and/or distortion, it also acts up a little, but this is logical. For the rest, the amp sounds great for what you pay for it (around $100 new), and sounds fine with my Squier guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid and hard to break. For my school's talent show, I used it without a backup, as I don't have the money to buy one yet. It is loud enough for that (100-200 people). It would take a lot before this amp would need servicing. This amp would have problems only if you deliberately bulldozed it. // 10

Overall Impression: I like many types of music, so this amp is a great match. Like my Squier, it does almost any style. I have been using my guitar and amp for nearly four months, which is also how long I have been playing electric guitar. I have played Acoustic guitar since I was 11. If it was stolen/lost, I would buy this amp again if it was available, depending on how much cash I had as well. If I had enough money, I would probably look for another amp, maybe one of its bigger brothers. // 10

Crush 15 Reviewed by: dazebook, on february 09, 2011

Features: Wow. 15W watts. 8 inches of sweet love. It's not the size that matters. It's how you use it. I have the non reverb model. It has 3 band eq, and master, level and volume. It smokes a nice clean channel and an oh so dirty channel. The only thing that makes this not the perfect amp in all of 15 watt creation is the lack of a footswitch. GODS BE DAMNED! // 8

Sound: I play anything from Cream/Zeppelin classic rock to Coheed and Cambria to heavy blues, like The Black Keys. This amp would sound amazing for most rock style guitar from Kings of Leon to The Parlor Mob. It has a definitive sound and isn't like any other amp in the 100 dollar price range. It is solid state so it doesn't have the depth and growling volume of a tube amp, but it's a practice amp. It's not a half stack or a 30watt small gig amp. However I think it would sound just as good mic'd through a PA. It can be massive for it's small size though really. The clean is clear and bright, and the overdrive channel can be anywhere from fizzy to crunchy depending on how you tweak the tones from you guitar and this little beauty. It sounds like a solid state amp. If you want a little more, get a 5-15 watt tube amp, such as the Epiphone Blues Jr Combo, and you'll pay a little more. However as far as solid state, marshall, peavey, Crate etc... this is way more than top of the line. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's solid. Durable. More than just playable. This amp has a nice heavy construction, surprising for a small practice amp. The tweed style grill is tough and doesn't feel like "If I just pushed hard enough I could pop it like a Twinkie". The knobs and back and cord are all extremely well built. I have owned other amps in this price range from marshall, peavey, crate... none of them compare to this level of quality in the slightest. // 9

Overall Impression: You can't say much more than it's a sweet ride. Enjoy it. For the money you can't get better. Comparable in my opinion to the Fender Mustang I. You do not get all the modeling software and bells and whistles, but that stuff just confuses some people anyway. :) I use Amplitube for iphone through an iRig so I didn't need the modeling software or recording ability of the usb port. So I bought this gem. Kinda would've been overkill to me. It's all useful but if you want to look at your practice amp and say "Wow, I feel like Eric Clapton but not really as good as Eric Clapton and maybe if I was shorter..." Than this amp is it. Seriously though, It's well built, has amazing sound, top of the line for solid state in my opinion, and if it just had a footswitch.. I'd marry it. // 9

Crush 15 Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on november 04, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: The amp is obviously, a standard practice amp. That should filter out some questions about it, and it is a very good one at that. It's overdrive or "Boost" is useless if you have a low output instrument. I wish it was more like a Line 6. It does have a headphone jack though, and it sounds good through them. It can take quite a pounding on its stock speaker. I've been recently playing it full blast with my bandmates, and it holds up well (Wish it was a little louder, but that's what my half stacks for). // 7

Sound: I mostly play with a Ibanez electric six/seven strings, a DigiTech RP500 processor, and it holds up pretty darn well. Its a bedroom type amp, so it can't really compete with my Randall. No noise, surprisingly. It is very, very limited soundwise due to its nature and size, but overall its sound is pretty nice. SWEET JESUS THE CLEAN CHANNEL IS GREAT! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable and tough, it has a good quality speaker, and it can take a damn hard beating, I basically throw it around, I don't even worry about it, its f--king tough guys! No service problems what'soever, but I would like it to have a decent overdrive setting. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is great for songwriters, because it has many great features that would benefit a person that likes to lock themselves in their rooms for hours, just writing. My style requires a heavier duty setup, and requires alot of power if I'm playing live. So the only time I would bring this thing out would be an acoustic set. If Stolen, I would get a smaller sized combo amp thing, probably Randall since I like and trust them. Anyway, great sound, durable, and well balanced. But it needs an overall good Drive channel. // 8

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014