Crush 30R Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 07/16/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Crush 30R
The Crush 30R is petite enough to maintain it's portability, but is loud enough to rock out in both rehearsal and performance situations.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 8.6
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (10) 71 comments vote for this gear:
Crush 30R Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2006

Features: This is your basic 30 watt combo amp, solid state, 10" speaker, 2 inputs, headphone jack, no effects loop and and output for a PA system. If you hadnt guessed it yet this amp is Orange! This amp seems to suit most genres except metal (sorry metal heads this isn't an amp for you). If you don't believe me just go to Orange's artist page and check out all the artist that uses them, basically it can go from Stevie Wonder to From First To Last! I do wish this amp had more wattage and a 12 inch speaker and that it came with a footswitch (you have to buy that seperately which sucks) but for the price I paid I shouldn't complain! // 9

Sound: In all honesty this is probably one of the best sounding solid state amps you can buy. This amp can go from beautiful clean sounds to overall brutal distortion (not metal distortion I don't think this amp is suited for that kind of distortion). This amp seems to take a lot of sound qualities from it's peers but in a more solid state way. The clean sounds like the AD series and the distortion is very akin to the rockerverb. I use my PRS SE Soapbar II and sometimes I use an Aby box to run it and my Marshall together (another great fusion of sound). This thing isnt noisy at all but at the same time I do wonder is this truely a 30 watt amp because it definitely sounds way louder then that. But yea this amp suits my needs pretty well. Like I've stated before this amp can go from Stevie Wonder to From First To Last and to Kanye West if you wanted to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet but from my band rehearsals I can tell I will definitely be using the Orange Marshall fusion I have going on. I think this amp could handle small gigs but I don't think it can handle stadium or very big venues but then again it wasn't designed for that. According to Orange this thing wont break at least not for a very long time so I would like to believe that. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I've been playing for close to 6 years now I play pretty much play everything from rock to jazz artist/bands that I like are Miles Davis, The Mars Volta, Underoath, From First To Last, Incubus, Erykah Badu & Kanye West (there's far too many more to name) but anyways this amp definitely suits my style. I do have a Marshall AVT50 and to be honest this amp sounds way better then my Marshall and it's at a fraction of the price. I just love the overall sound from my Orange. I felt like this amp was made for me. I don't think I hate anything about this amp I just wish it was a little bigger. If it were stolen I would be highly pissed and if I were to ever find the person who stole it I would subject them to listening to Good Charlotte and watching old Will Farrell movies (I know that is very cruel and unusal punishment but hey I love this amp). // 9

Crush 30R Reviewed by: Einzigerfan03, on november 03, 2005

Features: 30 watts of solid state power, hi/low inputs, channel switching (clean to gain), headphone jack, bass/mid/treble controls, and Reverb. No extension speaker output, which is a bummer. I'd love to hear this cranked through a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. // 10

Sound: I'm going to say this before hand - metal heads, this amp is not for you. This amp is perfect for my style of music. I use a PRS SE Soapbar II and a DigiTech GNX2, a Boss CT-2 pedal and a DS-1 amp wise I do have a Marshall AVT50. It does not get metal heavy like my Marshall but I did not buy it for that style of music. This amp does not have that much diversity it's the basic clean/overdrive. The distortion is rather warm for a solid state amp but I like my distortion warm. The distortion isnt as brutal as my Marshall sound-wise it's not quite as bottom heavy like my Marshall but it's definitely got the better clean channel (I mean common Marshalls are known for their distortion) but I like the distortion! It gives my unique chord voicings more of a warm unique feeling and sound. If you want a specific sound for a specific genre (besides metal) this thing can go from Ike & Tina Tuner to Stevie Wonder to The Mars Volta and to Underoath. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well this thing seems like it would be good for small gigs and I don't think it would break but I haven't road tested it yet so I really can't answer that. But so far in rehearsals with my band this amp seems like it can a beating and then some. // 8

Overall Impression: For the type of music I do play (progressive, emo, post hardocre, jazz & blues) it is definitely right for me. I've been playing guitar for 5 years bass for 6 and piano for 7. I was attracted to this amp because I noticed two of my favorite bands (The Mars Volta, & Underoath uses this amp among many others). Soundwise it stood out from everything else. I love the fact that I can go from bluesly (Buddy Guy) type music to progressive rock (The Mars Volta, Coheed & Cambria) to balls to the wall screamo (Poison The Well, Underoath & The Used) the only thing I dont like about this amp is it's a bit smaller then expected. I can compare this to a Marshall AVT20 and for the money and overall sound quality the Orange Crush 30R would win (it lost in the distortion area only by a slight percent but again Marshalls are known for there distortions). Sound-wise it's not quite as bottom heavy but it's definitely got the better clean channel (I mean common Marshalls are known for distortion). So if you do happen to find one of these and you need or want a great practice amp or a amp for small venues (you'd have to mic it though). If it were stolen I would hunt down the asshole who stole it force him to listen to an Ashlee Simpson CD and then proceed to making him watch the Exorcist II and then beat the crap out of him. But anyways yea buy this amp you wont regret it. // 10

Crush 30R Reviewed by: leonkennedy74, on july 05, 2007

Purchased from: Herb David Guitar Stuidio

Features: No idea what year it was made in. I know it's a more recent model so probably a 2006 or so. has two inputs and a head phone jack, two channels, and push-button channel switching. Overdrive as well. I wish it had a distortion effect in the amp. has stereo sound and is very versitile in all types of music. I play blues, alternative and rock as well as a lot of Smashing Pumpkins. // 9

Sound: I use a Samick Avion 6 with dual humbuckers and the amp will crash sound out. The amp is really great for clean tone on blues and stuff but getting some distortion can be a bit challenging. No excess noise is produced, a little static when in close proximity to other amps that have much higher output. The volume is extremely versitile on this amp and depends mostly on the gain knob, which is usually turned all the way up for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is big, loud and durable. It's got some kind of metal casing around the side and a simple (but effective) mesh covering over the speaker. I would use this amp anytime, anywhere at any gig or show and probably as my primary. You can get some serious volume out of this thing. I mean, I drowneded out my friends 28/24 Crate. This amp has never broken down, failed, fallen apart, or sounded bad ever. My one complain is that the plug in the back falls out really easily. // 8

Overall Impression: As was said earlier, I play blues rock and alternative and the amp can match very well with all others too. My friend plays metal out of it and never complains. I have been playing for about a year now and this is my second amp. I own a Crybaby Wah pedal that I love (if you don't own one, get one). If it were stolen I would deffinetly purchas another one, for the price this thing is great. I love the sound quality and the durability of the amp. It also stands out in a crowd. I hate the fact that getting some distortion out of the thing can take hours! I compared this to a Marshall Zakk Wylde stack (549) and was dissapointed in the quality of the Marshall. I wish I had a distortion pedal. // 9

Crush 30R Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2008

Features: Standard 3-Band EQ Controls, 2 channels-clean and overdrive, reverb, line out, headphone jack, 2 inputs, 30 watts of power (sure sounds like a lot more). Footswitch jack for channel Switching. This amp is one of the nicest solid state amps I've ever used and owned. // 10

Sound: I play all types of styles, like rock, classic rock, metal, jazz, surf rock, punk, classical, and alternative, and this amp is great for most of them. For metal, you will want an overdrive or a distortion pedal to boost the sound for metal. I do wish that this amp had an external speaker jack. I would have loved that. This amp has a sweet beautiful clean channel, and a very sweet overdrive channel. The clean is good for Jazz, funk, rock, etc. The overdrive channel is great for classic rock stuff, like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, CCR, The White Stripes, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc. The amp in general is not very noisy (as in background noise) but for 30 watts it is loud! Probably the loudest 30 watt amp I've ever heard! It is good for practicing, jamming with the band, and even some Live work. For me, I have three 4x12 Orange Cabinets. I connect my amp to a power amp through the line out, and the 3 cabs are connected to the power amplifier. That makes a killer setup for Live shows. With about 2000 Watts of power. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never gone bad on me. I can totally rely on this amp for my shows and for practicing. It's good, it's loud. I think the only problem I would worry about having with it would be blowing the 10" speaker. But not when I'm hooked up to my nice live Setup! Maybe sometime in the future, I may Switch out the stock speaker for a more powerful 10" speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: I got this amp as a 16th birthday gift from my girlfriend and my best friend together. They both signed the back, so I am never ever going to sell this amp OR get rid of it. This is the amp I am going to be using forever. I absolutely love the setup I have going on right now. I use just the amp for practicing, small gigs/shows and jamming, and then my external amp setup for big live work. I have never heard a 30 Watt solid state amp sound as beautiiful and smooth like my Orange Crush! I remember when I first saw this amp and played through it in my local music shop, I loved it! And now, thanks to you two, Solana and Matthew, I have the amp I love! // 10

Crush 30R Reviewed by: Flyby8, on august 07, 2008

Price paid: € 162

Purchased from: Tamsta

Features: Not sure in what year is it made, but it suits for my style of music that I play. I usually play grunge, punk rock, classic rock, blues, rock, metal. Everything suits just fine, except metal. This amp has 2 inputs, overdrive switching, headphone jack, bass/mid/treble, volume, gain, overdrive level controls and a reverb effect. I wish it had a distortion, delay, chorus. I use this amp mostly at home and never used it Live in a concert. This amp is good enough for me. It has a 30watt power. // 8

Sound: I use a guitar with 2 humbuckers, but I wanna get one more pickup in the middle, and then it would sound wonderful. It suits my style good enough and it's not noisy, except on overdrive sometimes. This amp makes a wonderful sound in almost any type of music, except, as I've said, metal. It sounds a bit distorted when you play it with high volume and gain but it sounds nice. Not brutal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it as a backup, but I would use something else, for the backup, just in case. But it never breaks down, or anything. It's just the cable is easily plugging of. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, punk rock, classical rock, grunge, rockabilly, blues. Stuff like that. It could be better for metal. But whatever! I've been playing for 2 years with an acoustic guitar and for about 3 months with an electric guitar. And when I bought this amp I was amazed of the good sound of it. I also have an electric guitar "Epiphone G-310" (it's a SG model with 2 humbuckers) and a processor "DigiTech RP50" (which I don't use very often right now). If it would be stolen I'd try something else, because it's my first amp after all. Maybe a "Roland" amplifier. I like the reverb of this Orange the most. When I compared it, this was the best for this price I think. You won't regret it, if you buy it. // 10

Crush 30R Reviewed by: Dirty_Civilian, on january 05, 2009

Price paid: C$ 270

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This SS combo amp was made in 2008. I use this as a practice amp so versatility is key. I usually play hard rock mixed, but I'll play the Beatles all the way to Black Sabbath and 80's metal. This amp is great for all thoughts styles, but not for Death Metal etc. This could easily be corrected with a pedal. It has two inputs (High, Low), a head phone jack, and a footswitch jack. The effect loop is in the back of the amp on the bottom. The only thing I wish it came with was the footswitch, which is sold separately. It has plenty of power for what is is made for, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it for recording and small gigs. // 9

Sound: Right now I'm using my Gibson Classic Antique LTD ED. Zebrawood with original PUPs and everything, running through a Crybaby Wah, nothing special. I play all kinds of music, but my preferred tuning is Drop C#, which really makes this amp throaty and thick. It can be noisy if it is on OD near a lot of lights and other electrical noise, but nothing you can't deal with by grounding it better. This amp covers pretty much all the sounds from the 50's to the early 90's with out a problem. The clean channel does a good job of not getting mudded together at high volumes, and with lots of OD you can get some pretty sweet feedback. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could count on this thing not to break, it's an Solid State and it has a good housing. So far the only problem I've had with it is that the AC outlet on the back was a little bent, so it would turn on and off. I fixed it by bending the prongs back into position with a pair of pliers, and haven't had a problem since. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great amp for what I'm playing right now, and I like it much more than my more expensive Line 6 Spider III 75w amp. I've been playing for a couple years, and I've owned several Gibson's and Fender's. I also own a Wah and a Chromatic tuner, nothing fancy. I don't like to over do it on the effects. I wish I had asked for a footswitch before I bought it, because having to press down the button while playing is a pain in the butt. If it were stolen or lossed I'd probably buy another one. I have nothing bad to say about this amp, it's a great deal for the money. // 10

Crush 30R Reviewed by: soupdragon, on january 05, 2009

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Features: I dunno when it was made. I play Indie/Rock/Pop/Alternative (stuff like Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party. But also Chili's and Muse) and this amp is perfet for me. You probably know the features by now, but, should you need a reminder. Solid-state, 2 footswitchable channels - clean and dirty, shared gain knob and 3 band eq, reverb, line out jack, 'phones jack. I use this amp for practice at home and band praxctices, and use it at school for music lessons and small performances. Only one con - I would prefer seperate EQ and gain knobs for each channel, but is that asking too much? // 9

Sound: My guitars are as follows: Fender MIM Tele Fender Lite Ash Strat Fender CD60 Electro-Acoustic Ibanez JTK2 With this amp I like to go for a slightly gritty clean and a light overdrive (I base my tone on the Arctic Monkeys. This amp delivers those sounds with ease and very little adjustment is required to acheive these (little or no Bass, full(ish) High and Mid, reverb at around 1 or 2, gain halfway). This amp can be quite noisy, especially on the dirty channel, but I don't mind because it's worth it for the sound it makes. It suits my style perfectly. As it's solid state, the tone on the clean channel changes only slightly as you crank up the volume, so plenty of headroom if you keep the gain down. I wouldn't say the range of sounds available is particulalry wide, but if you buy Orange you should know what to expect tone-wise! The distortion is not particularly heavy - for death metal, you're gonna need a different amp - but for my uses, is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, I would say it is dependable. I'd use it on a gig without a backup (I have before! ) and be pretty confident that it would be consistent. One small niggle - where the amp power cable plugs into the back of the amp can feel quite loose sometimes, but this is only a small niggle that doesn't make much differnece. It's never broken down in the 7 or 8 months I've had it. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing 3 1/2 years, and like to think of myself as an intermidiate player. I had no questions when buying this amp - I tried it and loved it! If it was stolen, I would go straight out and buy 2 more! Before this, I had a Marshall MG30 - awful amp. Unusable and ugly sounding distortion, and a fairly average clean channel, just not for my style of music. Of course there is only one thing that annoys me about this - why don't they do a louder one? The next amp up in the range is 600! Can't they just do a 50/100 watt solid state amp for the Orange customers who can't afford valves? // 9

Crush 30R Reviewed by: Shayne777, on may 12, 2009

Price paid: C$ 283

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Made in 2008. I play mostly Hard rock like Queens Of The Stone Age and Tool and though this is amp is great it has no distortion but my Seymour Duncan Lava Box fixs that problem. It has 2 footswitchable channels and and line out and head pho jack and a wierd input called 'overdrive pedal' and your basic 3 band EQ and Reverb control which I think sounds great. This amp is soild state. // 8

Sound: I play a Dean VX through and Morley Bad Horsie II and Seymour Duncan Lava Box. This amp is great for when I am playing older stuff like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple and isn't terribly bad for some lighter moderen rock(RCHP, Jet, Green Day) but when I try to play like RATM or Tool through it the Gain just doesn't cut it so if you buy this amp make sure you have some sort of overdrive pedal to give it a boost. There isn't any noise or hum that really bugs me coming from this amp on either channel really even the overdrive channel. This amp is basicaly a great classic rock amp to me but it is pretty limited with just the reverb being the thing to really mess around with on this amp. The clean channel is pretty good at high volumes though I don't really give it much use. Like I said before this amp has the distortion or a little girl(if that makes sense). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played any shows yet but I think this amp could be able to do a small show but it is only 30W so nothing too huge thought the Orange cabnit it a beast I have dropped this thing twice an nothing has happened to it plus it's bright Orange so it looks badass too. I haven't had it long enough for it to break down yet but there's nothing indcating it's going to die anytime soon so it seems to be a pretty soild amp to me. // 8

Overall Impression: My style isn't really diverse but this amp can't handle it without backup so if you play the more harder alternative stuff you should check out a different amp or have a good distortion pedal with you (my friend tried his Boss D-1 through it and it sounded like trash so make sure it is really a good one). I would recommend getting the footswitch with this cause the button on it to change channels is so tiny it might cause problems at a gig. If lost or stolen I would get a different amp but that's just cause my styler dffiers a little from this amp but if you like to play Hendrix this amp is made for you. I compared this with a peavy Vypyr and Cube 30 and in the end really didn't need all the extra effects and all the tube amps in my price range were to small for me to Jam with my friends so I went with this plus I like my guitar rig to be a little different than most people with there LTD plus Roland Cube setup. // 7

Crush 30R Reviewed by: JohnnyGreenwood, on april 26, 2010

Purchased from: humbucker music

Features: Probably a 2006/2007, it has high and low inputs, clean and overdrive channels, three band EQ, reverb and a headphone jack. I use this amp mainly in my house and in small practices, it's loud enough to be heard over drums, many people have pointed that it's to loud to be a 30 watt amp. Solid state obviously. // 8

Sound: I'm using a stock Gibson Flying V Faded, an Epiphone Riviera P93 with Gibson P90's and a stock Fender Highway One telecaster mainly. I play about everything, but mainly british Indie rock and so. For that style is perfect, but I think where this amp really shines is on blues. Light overdrive and it sounds fantastic. It's a very quiet amp, and the clean channel is very transparent, it handles my effects flawlessly. Metal heads, this amp is not for you, the distortion is very good with the gain turned almost all the way up, the overdrive like at 1 o' clock and the volume at 12 o' clock, but its a hard rock distortion, its not even close to metal distortion. Leaving metal aside, It is a very verstile amp, it5 can handle nearly anything else. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solid amp, the back is half metal half wood, I think the cabinet is made of plywood, but is hard enough to worry. My only complain is that the power plug could be placed on a more strategical position, it's very fragile hanging horizontally on the back. Although I've never have problems with it, it's a thing to keep an eye on. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 years now, if it were stolen I would buy a Rocker 30 combo, and I certainly miss this one, don't get me wrong it's a great amp, in fact I think it's the best amp in it's price range and may surpass some more expensive ones, but now I'm more serious with my playing, that's why I would upgrade. I love the looks of this one, it really stands out, if you're on a low budget, and need an amp for practising or small gigs go with this one, I love mine, its so smooth and beautiful, and such a bang for the buck. // 9

Crush 30R Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2010

Purchased from: craigslist

Features: someone was selling it on Craigslist for a whopping $25 so I bought it. I have the Crush 15r so I thought why not. It is a 2004 model and the grill cloth was pushed in. I fixed that and there was no other visible issues with it. I didn't like the stock speaker so I bought a Jensen 10" to put in it. // 6

Sound: I run an American Tele, Gibson SG Standard and Ibanez Artcore AS73 through it. I mostly play through various tube amps and keep the Crush 15 & 30 as practice amps. This has become my main amp for smaller venues. The only effect I use on it is an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 at the 12 o'clock position on the clean channel with the mids scooped and the gain and level all the way up and volume around 10-11. I was blown away at the breakup and sound I get at this level and is has that classic rock sound. It is a lot louder than I thought and plays like a tube amp almost. I'm amazed at the sound and volume I get with these settings and the better speaker. It looks a little beat up but people ask about it and how I get that sound out of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems with either Crush I have. This one was very worn and just needed a loving home and someone to take care of it. Its one of those amps that when I gig with it people give it a funny look and are in disbelief when I say I spent $25 bucks on it and threw in a $80 speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: I never intended to use this for gigs but after the tone I got out of it and the fact I don't have to lug the heavy tube amps around I use it for almost everything. I haven't recorded with it yet but I run a splitter out of the end of my pedal board and stack the Crush 15 on the Crush 30 and run a line into both and that sounds really good. // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ OR15H 9.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014