Crush PiX CR20LDX Review

8.1
reviews (3) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Crush PiX CR20LDX Reviewed by: spock10194, on august 08, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This little amp features a headphone jack, auxillary jack, master volume, 3 way EQ, switchable overdrive, and a gain control. This thing also features a chromatic tuner and sixteen effects: four reverbs, four delays, two choruses, two flangers, two tremolos, a vibrato, and a Hall+Delay. The only downside to this is you can only use one of the effects at a time, though considering this is an amp, that's completely forgivable. // 9

Sound: I play an Ibanez RG350DX (the one with the pearloid pickguard) with the stock Infinity pickups. I play mainly hard rock, metal, and alternative rock though I really play most styles of music. The main downside is the humming at higher volumes/higher gain. It gets worse if the guitar is near it while you aren't playing. Also the chorus, flanger, tremolo, and vibrato effects add their own sound while you aren't playing. The reverbs however, are freaking amazing. I absolutely love the reverbs on this thing. For higher gain music I'd recommend a pedal. The distortion on this is nice and warm sounding, if you put the overdrive up all the way you can get a really fast Drive that sounds pretty similiar to Family Force 5. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for about six months and it has never let me down. I can't find any cosmetic damage on it anywhere, and it still sounds like the day I got it. The only thing that concerns me is the wooden grill on the front seems a bit soft, so I've been very careful not to expose that to too much possible abuse. I've actually played in the VBS band at my church this past summer with this and it sounded great. This can handle small gigs. And take note that this was outside competing with a thousand dollar+ PA system that the church bought for the acoustics, as well as a nice Fender combo bass amp. // 9

Overall Impression: You can play most styles of rock with this thing, save for very high gain stuff. I've never played blues or anything like that so I'm not sure if you could get a good sound for those styles of music. I think this is best fit for punk rock though, as I said, it's very versatile. I was on a rather low budget at the time and I needed a good practice amp so this is what I got. I really only compared this to a Fender Frontman and this won due to the effects and a few YouTube demonstrations I found. I wish this came with a footswitch just so I could save a few extra seconds of my life, also the vibrato could use a good deal of improvement. If this were lost/stolen/broken I'd probably buy a better amp somewhere in the 500-700 USD range. The tuner on this thing is absolutely amazing. // 9

Crush PiX CR20LDX Reviewed by: Guitarchaeology, on february 03, 2012

Price paid: A$ 173

Purchased from: Logan's Piano's Sydney

Features: The Features on this amp are the same as the other reviews, the 16 effects are mainly why I purchased this amp. They are fixed values and only the level of the effects can be adjusted but they are just an added bonus, not the reason for the purchase. The Tuner is also very handy but I don't really use it on this one. The overdrive and seperate gain controls are a nice touch too. // 10

Sound: I purchased this amp because I needed a dedicated bedroom amp for a Theramin and didn't see the sense in buying an expensive valve amp for an electronic instrument. The effects were a big factor because I wanted to get a Jimmy Page sound happening. And I did, aside from Jimmy's hand controlling the time or decay or whatever, this amp gives a pretty good representation of that classic Jimmy Page Theramin weirdness. In saying that, I decided to try a few guitars through it and have to say, I love it. I have a Marshall Valve combo and a small Fender Tweed Blues Jr that I usually play through at home, but this thing sounds amazing. Very versatile and very warm sounding amp. I'm now questioning my small valve amps value and practicality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use it to gig with the Theramin without a backup. It hasn't let me down so far. It's solid state, I reckon a lot less could go wrong with this than a valve amp. It seems fairly sturdy too, wood construction cabinet and good quality tolex (I got the Black one) corner caps look a bit thin, but should be fine on such a light amp. The basket weave grill is quite strong too. // 10

Overall Impression: I have used it for heavy blues and rock and it sounds great, it's also nice for clean sounds too. I've been playing with only valve amps for about 15 years and forgot how good some of these little things can sound. I'm stoked with the purchase and would most definitely replace it if lost or stolen. I would still use a valve amp for the guitar when gigging but this Orange is easily able to do it for small gigs, it's perfect for home and for the Theramin. // 10

Crush PiX CR20LDX Reviewed by: Skinny91, on november 04, 2010

Purchased from: GAK

Features: These are the new range of practice amps from Orange. I had often heard bad things about the old Crushes but after doing some research and seeing these new ones I decided to take a look. I brought this as a bit of a gamble. When it was released I spent a while researching the pro's and con's, wether it was acually even good or not, and found very little. What stuck out was this Youtube video I thought the tone he was getting from such a cheap amp was just brilliant. So I went down to GAK and picked one up, and I must say I was very impressed. I play a very varied styles of music, pretty much a little bit of everything, and I find this amp is very versitle. I would say you can get most clean styles sounding good out of it, and more "common" metal (Like Metallica). I've never tryed, but I doubt it has the gain for playing Death or Black Metal. Its a modeling amp, and comes with Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo and Vibrato, with various different settings for each. Being a modeling amp, these effects arn't great and I generally don't use many of them. The chorus is good, and the delay works well (Sets to 100ms, 175ms, 300ms or 600ms) and so is the reverb. The thing I really like is the Chapel Reverb. It gives a really great, ethereal sound and you can get some really cool tones from it. The main thing I wish it had that it doesn't is the avaliblity for a footswitch, but the model above, the CR35LDX does have the option for this. // 8

Sound: On the amp, their is a Volume, High, Mid, Low, Overdrive and Gain. It also has a built in chromatic tuner which is very nice. My main guitar is a Fender MiM Telecaster, and it picks up the cleans really nicely. I like playing stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a lot of mellow Acoustic music, and it sounds really good. As for heavyer stuff or punk, it handles it well considering I'm playing it on a Telecaster. With humbuckers this thing can really go. Its versitle enough for everything I do. This amp is very loud, with the distortion I would probably always have it around 2, never much louder, because after that it tends to distort. I do use it for rehearsing with my band, only temporary though. We play with an electric drum kit, so its loud enough, but the hum is generally there. I would never gig with it, as I don't think the sound quality is good enough, and their is no way it would be loud enough without being mic'ed up. But for rehearsals and practice, this is perfect for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never really had any problems with this amp. I take it around with me a lot, and it has handled it really well. There is a few dents on it, and a couple of tea stains :) but its taken a few falls well. As I said, I wouldn't use it at a gig, since its just a practice amp after all, I would imagine it would sound bad since it would need to be really cranked. The only problem I had was when using the Flanger settings I had a kind of flanger-feedback happening, like a wavering hum. This has only happened twice though since I've had it. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for my practice. The inbuilt Tuner and the effects are cool for just messing about, or getting a general idea about the sounds you want to get. I have been playing for about a year and a half now, and I don't think I will ever sell it. I'm going to buy an Orange Tiny Terror Combo so I have a proper amp for giging and recording, but this has done me well in my rehersals and practicing at home, its one of the best practice amps I've played on. If it were stolen, I would buy another one, perhaps upgrade to the CR35DLX for the footswitch. If you are looking for a practice amp or starter amp I would definatly recommend this for begginners and pros alike. // 8

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Crush PiX 100BXT 9 Bass Amplifiers 07/21/2014