Dark Terror Review

9.2
reviews (3) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Dark Terror Reviewed by: TheSPillow, on october 10, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Features: I'll begin with an umbrella statement for this review: This amplifier is very versatile for the one tone (shape) knob and one channel it has. The main features I bought this amp over the Tiny Terror for were the FX loop and extra tube in the pre-amp. I use this amp for practice in my home with an Orange PPC 2x12 Open back loaded with V30s. Even with its surprising versatility, I may recommend the Jim Root Terror model to someone looking for 3-way tone control. This amp has 2 EL84s in the power amp, and they really scream. Don't listen to anyone who says they sound fizzy. As aforementioned, it's got an extra 12AX7 (3 in all) in the pre-amp compared to the TT's two. The effects loop tube is a 12AT7. One of my favorite features is the option to use only 7 watts of the total 15. There's not a large difference in volume between the two, but you can get great crunches at moderate volume with the 7-watt setting. // 8

Sound: I'm currently using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with this amp. It has the stock pickups right now, but I will likely replace them with SDs before too long. I play a fairly wide spectrum of music, some of my favorite artists being BTBAM, Gojira, Mastodon, Frank Zappa, Phish, and Pink Floyd. This amp really does the crunchy and high-gain tones well, but unfortunately I haven't been able to crank it yet. You can get some nice cleans with this amp as well, but you'll definitely start to notice serious distortion with the gain knob past 4. It may be a little tough to get very warm, bright cleans or a jazzy tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp on restock for 150$ less than the new price. However, the previous owner hadn't even taken the amp out of the gig-bag and had never opened the power cable either. I haven't had any problems with the tubes, but one minor flaw with the amp is that it's loud itself. Once the volume and gain are past about 12 o' clock, you'll start to hear some serious noise from the amp itself, but nothing serious. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for the tones I'm chasing and gives a surprisingly diverse spectrum of tones. I got exactly what I wanted when buying this amp. I absolutely love the FX loop, high gain, and compactness of this amp (It's only a foot long!). If it were stolen, I would probably end up buying a Dual Terror instead as it would be better in a performing setting. Overall, I would recommend this amp to anyone chasing a Vintage British crunch tone or a sludgey/metal/high-gain feel. It's a great amp for the price, beats most tube amps in its price range. // 8

Dark Terror Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2012

Features: Will keep it short, 1 channel, 2 switches, on/off, 15 watt, standby and 7 watt. 3 dials, volume, shape, gain. I rate this highly, simple yet amazingly functional. Effects loop (very good). No reverb. // 8

Sound: I use a Jem 7v with EVO pickups, my playing tastes go from Machine Head to Satch. Before going further, I have owned this amp for around 5 hours, so I might be less qualified than some to write this review, that said my ears are not new. Cleans: Nice character at low volume, always a breakup depending on volume, but I like the character, live may be a problem, but you would get away with rolling the guitar volume back. Don't buy if you want crystal cleans. Gain: Enough gain for most, not a lot of crunch (tho there is some). Sounds great for Marshall based metal/thrash. Modern, not as good, tight but not that tight. Great for blues and rock also. Fizzy? Can be. At low volume full gain sounds great, higher volume roll back the gain, sounds great as well, no fizz if you can operate 3 knobs... Overall Sound: First impressions, good, after dialling it in, Supurb... No understatement there... Really. Tonally it produces a sound that will put a grin on your face, add some delay and reverb to increase grin. Cons: Noisy at high gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems well built, 1x12 cab is a tank. Still working after 5 hours. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impressed, very impressed, buy if you want high gain and fantastic versatile tone. Don't buy if all you play is modern metal, will not give you "brutal" gain like a 6505. Don't buy if your after pristine cleans or need a second channel. I would recommend this to versatile metal and rock players, enough balls to make you happy and enough tone to make you wanna cry and rent a chick flick. // 9

Dark Terror Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2013

Features: This is a 15 watt (switchable to 7 watts) amp head. It's pretty straight-forward... Has a volume knob, shape knob, and gain knob. It has a tube-driven effects loop. The controls are very easy to use... And, it's all this amp really needs. You can get a real loose Eddie Van Halen sound, turn a little bit and get a Metallica sound, turn a little bit more and get a great scooped sound for modern metal. It really does create tons of different tonal options. And, believe it or not, with no gain and the volume up, you can roll back your volume on your guitar and get a great sounding clean. Tube complement is 3 12ax7's in the preamp and 2 EL84's in the power section... Also an additional tube for the effects loop. It also has a 16 ohm and two 8 ohm jacks for a speaker cabinet of your choice. // 9

Sound: Playing through a Les Paul as well as a super strat with humbuckers (super 3's). I play straight through from guitar to amp to an open back 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. Suits my style of music perfectly. The gain on the amp is GORGEOUS and HEAVY. I also have a Peavey 6505, and I'll tell you, the gain on this amp is much better than that to my ears. There's much more gain than you could use, but it is completely unreal sounding. Huge 3-D tone, harmonics fly off the fretboard anytime you want, great note separation, and just mean-sounding chords. Contrary to the name of the amp, it is not a dark-sounding amp. The amp is perfect for blues rock and hard rock (between 11-1 o'clock on the gain) and shredding and metal (anything after 1 o'clock). The 7 watt option gives you a lot of power amp distortion at lower volumes, but the 15 watt is where it really opens up tonally. Put Tung Sol 12AX7 in the V1 slot and keep the rest JJ's. I've found this combination sounds absolutely unreal. Knocks shredding tones out of the freaking ball park. This is a true guitarist's amp. I give it a 10 on sound... Possibly one of the best-sounding amps I've ever played. Puts amps three times its price to shame if you're only judging tone and not options. It's the non-rich man's boutique metal amp as far as sound goes. This is the only amp I can play completely dry with no reverb, delay, eq, etc. And still can't wait to pick up my guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable so far... perfect. Never broken down. Orange is known for making quality products, so I don't hesitate to gig with it. It's loud enough for smaller gigs, and the bigger ones usually have a p.a. system anyway. Always get compliments on the tone. The metal housing is rugged, and the construction appears to be top-notch. I would be surprised if anyone encountered any problems with it. The amp comes with a full complement of JJ's, but like I said, replace the V1 with a Tung Sol 12x7. // 10

Overall Impression: What I hate about this product is it makes my 6505 and my JVM sound like over-priced purchases. I still like those amps, but the difference in price is just unjustifiable. The Orange Dark Terror is now my go-to amp and my go-to sound and has been for a few months. Everyone that hears it can't believe it and wants one within playing just a few chords and scale patterns. One more thing, you will be very surprised how loud this amp can actually get. This amp is tonal perfection. If it had two channels instead of one it would be complete perfection. // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014