Dual Terror Review

8.7
 8.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 40 comments vote for this gear:
Dual Terror Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 18, 2009

Features: Most of the appeal of the Orange amplifiers lies in their simplicity of features and ease of use. The Dual Terror expands slightly on the usual minimalistic Orange design by adding a second channel, giving the Dual Terror both a Fat and a Tiny Terror channel. The Dual Terror expands on the ideals of lightweight, rugged, guitar amp offered by the Tiny Terror by adding another footswitchable channel and twice the power. The quad of EL84 output tubes are run in a Class A configuration to provide 30 watts. Like it's little brother the Dual Terror offers a wide range of output controls including a Full Power/Half Power option for running at 30 or 15 watts as well as a switch on the back panel for 4 output tubes or 2 output tubes. This gives the Dual Terror the capability to run at 30, 15, or 7 watts, allowing you to dial in the same amount of mind blowing distortion no matter what the volume. Each channel features the classic minimalistic Orange controls of just a single volume, gain and tone control. Ultimately I feel that it is the single tone control that leads to the downfall in the clean tone of this amp. // 8

Sound: Since the dawn of Rock & Roll, Orange has been setting the standard for what a distorted guitar sounds like. The Dual Terror is a consistent addition to the Orange line of Holy Grail amplifiers. This amp is excellent at making mind numbing, ear crushing, silky smooth distortion at any volume. However this amp really lacks a solid clean tone. This could be in part to the single tone control knob on each channel, but the only clean sounds that it seems capable of generating is a very thin, almost surf rock sounding tone. It seemed that all of the body and presence of sound that this amp could produced was robbed from it as soon as the tubes ceased to be over-driven. Although the Dual Terror has two channels, they seem to have the same function, the same filters on each, despite different names. When all of the tone and volume knobs were set the same on both channels, they were indistinguishable. All this being said, the tube overdrive that is produced is unsurpassed by any other guitar amp on the market today. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Orange amps have always been built like tanks, a feature that has never lost its appeal to musicians throughout the generations. The Dual Terror is no exception to the rule. Despite having no outside covering, it has a rugged metal housing that will withstand the toughest abuse the road has to offer. Even though the Dual Terror is built to withstand the brutal abuse of being used by a musician, it still weighs in at only 22 pounds a weight that any musician or roadie will be thankful for. // 10

Overall Impression: The song remains the same with the Dual Terror amp. In an age of outsourcing and cutting corners, Orange consistently delivers the same rugged, reliable amps that it was forty years ago. The fuzzed out tones that it delivers remain as a staple in the world of rock. Stripped of it's classic Orange covering the Dual Terror promises to lead the way into a bright new future of classic Orange amplifier sound. // 8

- Nicholas Cole-Klaes (c) 2009

Dual Terror Reviewed by: antonvrg, on august 09, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1700

Purchased from: shop

Features: Ok so I play metal. I wanted an amp with a warm sound... I went around trying amps and eventually found one that I loved. This was the Dual Terror. I know it's not a high gain amp but a great feature is it's easy to use with just 1 tone nob. This gives a rather warm sound. Now this isn't the greatest because you don't have a lot of control but if you go through pedals the tone you get is amazing. I tried in the shop with a graphic equalizer and my guitar. That's when I discovered that having the warn tone in the amp the equalizer was then to push up the bass and treble. It has 2 channels The Tiny Terror Channel and the 'Fat' channel. They are the same just I find the Fat channel has more bass. It is very handy if you need a heavy tone and I lighter tone. // 5

Sound: As I said before the Dual Terror has a warm sound. High mids. Is a very nice sound with a graphic equalizer or even a distortion pedal. It depends on what your using it for. There is not alot of noise. But that's no surprise. It's not a high gain amp. There were a few other amps like the DT that had alot more noise. It was one of the reasons I got it. The distortion is nice.. there's just not alot of it. But again it depends on what your using it for. I know it's not a metal amp but with a distortion pedal you get great tone. I like working with warm tones. I don't really know why. I think it's because when I started playing my dad always gave my amp the warmest tone. So you add alot of bass and a lil treble and there's ya distortion tone. It's good though because the amp is extremely versatile. I have used this amp to play punk, metal, grunge and a lil country believe it or not! Just fiddling with the tone nob it's amazing how it changes. (I never really got into the country but my mate did) this is a loud amp concidering it's 30w and using EL84 tubes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is almost unbreakable... I have given it a fair amout of abuse and all it did was say "oi you! Go get me some more valves" it has fallen off a desk thing about 7m high, it's been beaten knocked bunped fallen on... Still works fine! Whack in new tubes and away you go. As good as new. I would use it for a gig with out a backup with out hesitating. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok I have sorta explained this as I have gone. Sorry bout that... The only thing I can say before buying it is don't buy anything that you havn't played.. A kid I went to school with did this and ended up not playing guitar. You can use this amp for almost anything... you just may need an equalizer. // 9

Dual Terror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Purchased from: Web

Features: Simplicity is the key to these amps. I had to spend a little while warming up to this amp, but now I think it is great. THe dark channel gets great cleans for blues and jazz and the Tiny Terror channel has amazing smooth distortion which is what they are famous for. // 8

Sound: I use it with a variety of guitars, both single coil and humbuckers and it sounds amazing. Although there is only a single tone knob, by changing around the volume and gain with the tone, you can get a wide variety of tones. I have found that is sounds best through a Weber 12F150 rather than an Alnico 12A150 - the ceramic punch and clarity makes a huge difference on this amp. I tested several different speaker configurations before arriving at this conclusion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty reliable overall. Compared to the hand wired, I'd say this is a much better, more stable amp. Had the handwired version of this and it broke down twice, this one has been superb even with gigging a lot. // 10

Overall Impression: Play Jazz, Blues, rock and metal and this little amp does them all. I've been playing for 30 years and have owned a Dumble, several Fenders and a couple of Vox AC's. This is a superb, portable amp that really stands up for it's cost. The more I play it the more I like it. // 10

Dual Terror Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2010

Price paid: € 590

Purchased from: www.musicworks.it

Features: - Fat Channel (more aggressive) plus original Tiny Terror Channel (very warm british sound) - Volume, Gain and Tone knob only (don't worry, you won't need anymore to get th best from this amp!) - 30W, 15W and 7W modes; 2/4 poweramp valves selector - A very cool bag included to carry your head! // 8

Sound: I play this amp with an Ibanez SZ520, with Ibanez/Duncan pickups. That's not a Gibson Les Paul but it is really worth it and sound quite good, providing a tone that i would define a mixture between a SG and a LP. Tiny Terror Ch: more bass, great for 70-80 classic rock sound Fat Ch: more aggressive, high mids and trebles Both channels provide good clean tones if you're patient enough to set volume and gain knobs up correctly and maybe choose a right pick up on your guitar. Dual Terror is a high gain amp, so don't expect a "fenderish" clean tone. It has a great distorsion on both channels. I usually use the Fat one with gain knob at 7-9 and the Tiny Terror one for clean sounds, setting gain@4-5 and higher volume than Fat channel. I'm albe to play rock and metal passing through audioslave and dire straits without any problem. The tone knob is the only way to set sounds on DT, but I don't need anymore sincerely. I use a Boss Equalizer pedal to get more bass when i need to play something harder, but DT sounds great by itself. The 3 different power modes not only provide (of course) different volumes that make this amp very versatile in every place you use it, but also make different tones! It is also possible to use only 2 poweramp valves instead of 4, getting the original Tiny Terror sound. I suggest you to choose the correct power mode between 30 15 and 7 considering both the volume you need and the particular tones and sounds you're looking for. It's difficult to me to explain these differences, but you can get them easily by playing a DT for 20-30 minutes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problem until now. I use it at home, on stage and 6-8 hours a week at high volume levels during rehearsals. The cabinet looks solid, but I've never had the chance to test it fortunately :P // 9

Overall Impression: Absolutely a must-buy! Less than 600 for a great full-valve amp with a beautiful Orange sound that is doomed to lead the way in next years. I think that DT is great to be played "by its own"... I mean that is not necessary to use 2k different distorsion pedals, it has to be appreciated for its own tones. The only things you're going to need are a chorus and a reverb for clean sounds IMHO (maybe a heavy metal distorsion if you would like to use it that way). Gain level provided and warm DT tone are perfect as they are. Fully approved! Sorry for mistakes in my english ;-) // 9

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014