Micro Terror Review

8.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Micro Terror Reviewed by: MattForrest, on november 08, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarcenter.com

Features: The Micro Terror is a 20 watt single channel hybrid amp head. Which means it has a valve preamp and a solid state power amp. It is incredibly and surprisingly small, which may make you think it is a novelty item, but it is anything but. It also has a headphone jack, and an aux in so you can play along with your mp3 player. So it is a nice little setup for practice. // 8

Sound: Like I said before, it may look like a joke, but this amp has a surprisingly large tone, and can actually power your 4x12 cabinet, and still sound great. The amp itself doesn't have a lot of sounds to it, other than distortion when you turn the gain up, but it sounds great with pedals. I mainly play an Ibanez ART-300 with active humbuckers through the amp, and it sounds great. It really suits any style I like to play (anything but country and really heavy stuff) but I'm sure it would sound good with almost any style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the let down I have had with this amp. The first one I bought was defective, and quit on me in under a month. But, my replacement has not been a disappointment by any means. But I can not give a real high rating on reliability just because of my personal experience. As far as gigging with it, I guess you could if you had a big cabinet, and were playing a small venue, or if you were going to mic the amp, but other than that I would suggest a larger, more durable amp. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall impression of this amp is very good. Aside from it being too small to gig with, and the defective one I got at first, it has been an awesome amp to Jam on. I play a wide variety of music on it, and it never fails to make a good sound, I would definitely buy another just because it is a relatively inexpensive amp, it packs a surprising punch for it's size, and it still sounds great. Basically, I would recommend the Micro Terror if you were looking for a nice little (really little) practice amp. It's a great buy, and you won't regret it.

// 9

Micro Terror Reviewed by: kswillie507, on january 17, 2014

Purchased from: Humbucker Music

Features: I bought it new about 6 months ago. It's a standard hybrid amp with a solid state power stage and tube preamp. Very simple controls. Volume, tone, and gain. It has a nice and sturdy chassis and enclosure. There is a standard 1/4" input for the guitar, a 1/4" speaker output, a 1/4" headphone jack, and a 1/8" auxiliary input. Also, there is a small toggle switch with an LED indicator for the power. It came standard with a JJ tube if I'm not mistaken. (That was quickly taken out and replaced with a Tung Sol 12AX7). It did not include a case like the larger Tiny/Dark Terror models. // 6

Sound: There are a million reviews about the Micro Terror and how incredible it is for such a tiny amp. Unfortunately, I don't have the same sentiment. It is small, and it is loud for its size. The tone; however, is where this falls flat. I tried it through a couple different cabinet combinations (1x12, 2x12, 2x8) and achieved the same result with each. The amp has a very hollow/tinny sound. It definitely has the British vibe that Orange is known for, but there just wasn't much warmth to it.

I play mostly hard rock and a little metal, and I knew going in that this amp probably wouldn't suit my needs. I thought I would give it a try anyways. I replaced the factory 12AX7 with a Tung Sol 12AX7 which did make a big difference on the amount of gain I could get out of the amp. Otherwise, it definitely lacks on the distortion front. With the gain all the way down and the volume up, the Micro Terror will accept pedals in front of it fairly readily. I tried a couple of DigiTechs and a cheap Danelectro, and the amp liked them. That certainly helped the sound.

Overall, I was very disappointed in the amp. I played through it for a grand total of maybe 24 hours of playing time. After I was satisfied that the amp was not fitting with my style I decided to sell it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Overall, it's built like a typical Orange. Very well. It's a very sturdy little lunchbox amp. The metal enclosure seems like it could take a beating, and the paint work looks very good. I don't know if the base coat is a powder coat or not, but it looks thick and solid. I would imagine that it would last quite a while as long as you don't drop it off of a 3 story balcony.

Power-wise; it did just fine pushing a 2x12 cabinet. I don't think I would rely on it to push a 4x12 or 4x10 for an extended period. It would be safer to plug into a smaller cabinet with nice Celestions and mic it up. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a very flat little amp. It's probably the hybrid setup that kills off any character it could have. I've been playing since 1992, I've owned Fender solid state, Peavey tube, and Marshall tube amplifiers, I've played with Gibson, Ibanez, Fender, and Dean guitars, and this little Orange will be one of the more forgettable pieces of equipment that I've owned.

If you want a nice British tone with good body and depth, buy a Marshall or Laney. Or step up and get one of the bigger Orange's. The amp can't get stolen or lost because I've already sold it. // 5

Micro Terror Reviewed by: rodknoxx, on august 26, 2014

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Volume, tone, gain. 1 ax7 tube, Orange quality and tank like build. Albeit very tiny tank. It is as handsome as all of the terror models. Stock tube is ok, so buy a Tungsol at time of purchase and upgrade the hell out of it. It is really small, like you probably have a pedal its size. It gets very loud through a 212. There is no reason for you to have any doubts, while it may be a tad one dimensional you will love it anyways. It cleans up nicely but not great, but exactly the way I want it to, and for my needs, better than my Rockerverb 50 MKII. Responds great to a volume pedal and on guitar. You can get sooooo much out of it playing with volumes. // 10

Sound: For what I play, it is maddeningly awesome! I play basic power chords distorted in a popp y punk style. I run it through a custom built 212 cabinet and it kills. My main amp is a Rockerverb 50 MKII and I prefer the way the micro terror breaks up and cleans up using a volume pedal. It is a bit "sloppier" and I love it! I love my reverb too and will soon buy them and get what I need. Micro definitely hangs with our drummer and bass player in jamming, will definitely need to mic for a gig, but I do that anyways. Cranked, the amp is exactly the same volume as my reverb settings tested with uv meter, so no big issues there. Takes my volume pedal, phase 90, and digital delay very well. From 10-2 on the tone knob everything sounds great, beyond that either way gets muddier than I like. I read that people think it is noisy. Mine is not. Not even kind of. The tone is rich and warm, and a bit "sloppy" like I said but that is compared to a $2150 amp. It sounds incredible recorded. I would say "for the price" and "for its size" like everyone else, but that would be bullcrapping you. This little guy, which I have attached to my pedal board is a beast and is the best money I have ever spent on gear. Will be getting another one soon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it can be used live, but will need to be miked. It is great for home, and practices too! Yes I would gig it and yes I would gig it without a backup, and not just to trip other players minds... Even though it will. My amp is attached to my damn pedal board! How killer is that!? It is an Orange, so you know its built well, you know its gonna sound good, but I am here to tell ya, until you play it, you wont believe how good! It cranks and my bass player keeps looking at it wondering "how the hell?" my drummer can hear me just fine. And I never want to put down my guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing about 6 years and seeking what this guy can do. It does some of the things that I like better than my Rockerverb 50. Other things not as well. For example the way it responds to volume changes is scary good. The way it handles pedals is excellent. I will buy another one regardless of lost or stolen. I love its size, its tone, I dislike nothing. I should mention I changed the tube to a Tungsol and that certainly changed the overall ability of it considerably. Its nice stock, but is easily improved. I love that I can play for 4 hours killing the thing and it does not get hot. BUY ONE! // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Terror Bass 500 7.2 Bass Amplifiers 08/12/2014