OR15H Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 02/18/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: OR15H
Try it on if you're on market for big vintage overdrive in small simple highly affordable package!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.8
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
reviews (4) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
OR15H Reviewed by: JMPjoe, on january 08, 2013

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Features: 15 watt Single channel amp. Dual EL84 3 12AX7's and 1 12AT7 for the EFX Loop. I play blues/classic rock/hard rock. I'm using this amp at home with a 412 loaded with Greenbacks. This is a very loud... Not boxy... 15 watt rock machine. It's a simple amp circuit and that's how I like my amps. Wasn't looking for the OR15 to do more than "rock". I'm not very diverse anyways. LOL. Can't think of anything else to add although it keeps telling me I need 500 characters still. Haven't I reached that yet? I also bought this Orange cause it has a loop. Something I prefer for my time based effects. // 10

Sound: I'm using 2 guitars with the OR right now. I have a Strat with HSS pups and then an EC1000 with 85/81's soon to be 57/85 or 60. This amp readily plays blues/classic rock/hard rock. The amp's background noise is quiet until the gain goes over noon. Then hiss starts coming in but not to where I am bothered. It's acceptable noise per gain level. To me the OR15 is a Marshally Orange. I own a JMP 2203 and a DSL50 so I have Marshall reference tones to go from with me. To me it is Vintage voiced and excels there. If you want modern voicing go with the Jim Root or Dark Terror. The OR has a looser feel to the saturation. There isn't much clean headroom if you are rolling off from higher gain settings. It does roll off well using guitar volume if the gain isn't set too high. I prefer a dirty clean or a Marshall clean. I never reference Fender cleans cause I don't care for it. I won't take points off for this cause I'm going by what I like as a player. The amps saturation can be early break up to spit 'n fire but no way is it a modern gain. Again it's sounds and feels Vintage to me that is loose... Not flabby... And articulate. When chording I can hear all the strings. It's not tight but it isn't muddy either. Typical Orange warm or darkness yet it gets a bit Marshally with low mids and mids. I have rolled some of my ANOS preamp tubes and ended up with a Matsushita D getter (hairy Mullard) in V1, V2 has a Dario Miniwatt and then the PI has another MW. Sounds perty good. The OEM tubes were fine. I just happen to have lots of tubes. I did pop some JJ EL84's in but it seemed to lose some of its Marshallness so I put the OEM 84's back. They look like TAD's to me and sound like my other TAD's I have. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for about 3 months now. No issues but I am not gigging with it. The amp is Cathode biased so pop in matched power tube without having to bias. I think this amp would have no problems playing out live especially on top of a 412 cab. Most clubs around here use the house PA anyways so mic'd its a non issue. I'm giving it a 10 but understand I have only owned it for 3 months and it hasn't been out of the house. I have cranked it and I play it many times a day. Whenever I can. I would take a back up amp if I played out. Always. // 10

Overall Impression: Love the amp. It's not my main squeeze but lately I play only it. It really is fun and it is a straight up "Rock" amp. I started out wanting a TT and played it in all its configuration's and loved it. I watched Chapper's & Captain's vid on the OR15 and ordered it. I wasn't disappointed. I still want the TT but think I will end up with a Dual Terror instead. It will be better for gigging if ever I get the chance to again. The OR and JMP are a great pair of Vintage voiced rock machines and I love having both in my stable. See if this works. There are a lot of turds on this vid and its directionless playing. Gains at almost 1pm. I do use a Transparent Overdrive in part of it. I say when I use it and turn it off.

// 10

OR15H Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Features: The simplicity in it's best! Check the features on the net - there's nothing special about it... Except the Sound. // 10

Sound: It's made to Rock! I mean it! My maple-necked strut screams with all those Hendrix licks and solos. Also, it goes through Vintage rock with luxury - think Purple '70 famous albums. And, off course, it is Led Zeppelin stuff that come to mind at once when The Paul is in hands. The overdrive and crunch at my favorite 1 o'clock that made in Heaven - very natural, open and full of energy! Step ahead from Tiny Terror in terms of overdriven sound richness. Little weak on clean - although way better than TT and other competitor's - otherwise would be "10". // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is brand new - no problem so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing for around five or six years now. All these years was searching for little crunchy beast - tried them all with different amount of disappointment - until found TT15 couple of Years ago. Wow, it was GOOD! Although a little too "evil inside". When plugged into OR15 - it was THE true Vintage Drive I just dreamed of! I wouldn't like to say something about certain competitors - OR15 will easily leave them all in dust! Worth every nickel - try it on if You're on market for big Vintage overdrive in small simple highly affordable package! // 10

OR15H Reviewed by: Vern1971, on december 19, 2012

Purchased from: G.A.K Brighton

Features: Hi, this is my first review. I recently bought an Orange or15 head to use with an Orange 112 cab. It has one channel, an fx loop, 15w or 7w output with standby and volume, treble, mids, bass and gain knobs. Its pretty basic and has no built in reverb or other effects. I'm not bothered about the lack of fx though because the amp is all tube and sounds amazing without them. I'm a novice at the guitar and try to play stoner/doom, heavy metal, the blues, indie, grunge and a little heavy punk. The OR15 does all of these styles without adding pedals. I play at home and keep the noise to a minimum. I can't say if this thing gets loud enough to gig as I have no experience there. I would've rated the amp higher if it had a built in reverb. // 9

Sound: I use an Edwards Les Paul which has a pair of humbuckers, the ones it came with. Its a great guitar. My playing style at the moment is mostly power Chord based doom metal and the or15 is perfect for this. I'm still struggling with some of the fuller chords (F, barres) but other chords sound full. One thing I will say is that this amp is a bit unforgiving and will show up any mistakes you make. I made up a reggae tune the other day (using the b Chord up and down the neck) and the amp handled palm muting really well with a thick, chunk chunk sound. I wanted an amp for quiet use at home. The or15 does this. Put the gain at 1 and even with the volume all the way up its not as loud as a telly. Put the vol on 1 and turn up the gain you get the same quiet levels even at full gain. Messing around with the eq gives a variety of different tones. So far I've gotten clean to overdriven blues, Black Sabbath and AC/DC tones. The reggae I tried was very clean using a Morley wah pedal and sounded authentic. I'm sure you could do a lot with this amp. Grunge for sure, indie, blues rock and maybe even jazz but if you want ultra clean tones this amp isn't for you. The clean tone is stunning, warm and mellow but not for everyone. I love it. The gain is filthy. At lower settings it covers overdrive and light breakup, go past twelve and you have a really cool fuzzy, not harsh sounding distortion which is pleasing and good for rock. At 3 o'clock and beyond you get a massive distortion which will put stoner or doom metal players into heaven. I'm not sure about modern metal. I'm sure that with a suitable pedal you would get those sounds but the OR15 doesn't have the right tones for that, even though the gain level is crazy. That said I'm still learning, I may be wrong. This amp has the tones I was looking for and for me its perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its cool, it feels solid, looks solid and rocks solid. Its solid. I love the Orange colour as it really brightens up the room. I bought it new and its in perfect condition with not a mark on it. I bought it from G.A.K Brighton who were very helpful. I had problems making payment due to my bank blocking the purchase but the staff at G.A.K helped to get everything sorted out and now, thanks to them I have this great little amp. Thanks. I never plan to gig (as I'm crap) but I think this amp would be able to withstand touring. Like I said before, its solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year now and own a few pedals. I put a bass big muff into the front of the amp and it worked really well giving an Acid King tone. I tried my Morley wah and again it sounded great, even though I don't like the Morley very much. I also ran a Danelectro Cool Cat chorus through the fx loop and was pleased with the way it sounded, once I figured out how to plug it in. It all worked as it should. If the amp was nicked or got broken I would be gutted as I would have to save up for another one. I love this amp. The only gripe I have is that it was very expensive. 450 is a lot of cash and some other amps I looked at were cheaper. I watched videos about the Blackstar HT5, the Jim Root Terror and the Laney cub. In the end I chose the OR15 as the distortion was more to my taste. Its also a high quality amp. One final note. Even though I play fairly quietly this amp gets bloody loud. My girlfriend put both the vol and gain at 12 (in 7w mode) and we nearly went deaf. Its LOUD and it roars. // 8

OR15H Reviewed by: givemeajackson, on february 18, 2014

Purchased from: local shop

Features: Very straightforward layout. It's a one channel amp with gain, 3-band eq, volume, a switch to choose between pentode and triode mode (7 or 15 watts) or standby, and a power switch. That's all you get on the front panel. On the other side of things, you get 2 8-ohms speaker outs and a 16 ohms out and a serial fx loop.

Obviously this isn't a midi monster with 6 channels and 5 modes each, but the few features it has are well chosen: the wattage switch for example is a very useful tool! Not that the 7 watts mode is MUCH quieter, but it mainly responds differently. The EQ is very effective, and it's a definite plus over the dark and tiny terrors. The FX loop, as simple as it may be, does its job perfectly, and since I feel a bit naked without a very subtle delay on my lead tones and I love to create synth-like reverb/delay/chorus sounds on my cleans I would not have bought the amp if there was no FX loop.

Now, things that I would have liked: someone on YouTube modded his OR 15 to have a second set of volume and gain knobs, and ever since I am desperately trying to find a schematic or some guy experienced enough to tell me how to do it. It isn't the concept of this amp to be multi channel, but for live use the possibility to switch between clean and distortion without a change in volume is invaluable. Also, an adjustable parallel FX loop like on my Engl would have been nice. But the one thing that's really missing on this amp in my opinion is a presence control. It would make adapting to different cabs and styles much easier. I'll maybe try to fix this with an eq pedal though. // 6

Sound: Now, on to the most important question: this amp sounds awesome! Its sound and response are so incredibly natural, and it just feels so familiar as if I had always known it.

Starting off with the cleans: with gain at about 9 o' clock, 15 watts mode and volume at about 3 o'clock, it's possible to achieve a fairly loud clean sound using split humbuckers. It's a very responsive sound, snappy and spanky if you pick hard, soft, suspended and fluid if you pick lightly. The EQ can take it anywhere in between warm and jazzy and funky and snappy. There's always a slight hint of saturation and tube warmth in the cleans, they never have this JC-120-ish hi-fi quality to them, and activating the bridge humbucker while picking hard sends it off into a boney crunch sound.

Increasing the gain by just a little bit and leaving the volume where it is gets it fully into blues/classic rock territory, all while remaining extremely dynamic. Gain at about 11 o' clock gets you a very satisfying punk sound, at noon you're starting to drift off into van halen territory. Then, at about 1:30, it depends on your EQ, cab and picking wether it gets fuzzy and doomy sounding or if it goes metal.

The low end is enormous and needs to be turned down quite a bit to get it to the latter option. It takes a bit of EQ-fine tuning, but once you get it right there's a rich, fat and full metal distortion here that still doesn't lack any definition. It never reaches the tightness and definition levels of my Engl Blackmore, but in turn it sounds absolutely ferocious and waaaaaay more raw and angry if you want it to. You absolutely won't have to worry about whether it has enough gain, at about 3 o' clock it reaches slam death territory. Playing Disgorge or Defeated Sanity is no problem with this thing. I sometimes use a Mooer Fulldrive as a boost with it, not for gain, but to tighten it up a bit more. For modern thrash sounds (testaments new album is my reference for thrash tone) it benefits quite a bit from the boost in my opinion, but it isn't a necessity. Lead sounds are bubbly and fluid, and its a very unforgiving amp. If you make a mistake, you and every single member of the audience will notice! I can't say too much about the fuzzy side of the amp, since I don't use it, but the doom/sludge guys all love it, so I guess it must be good at it... All in all, the sound of this amp is a straight 10!

About volume: for a rock/punk/metal band it's easily loud enough to keep up with the drums. Purely for cleans it might lack a bit if they have to be loud and REALLY clean without the slightest bit of saturation, but usually the songs I use clean sounds on are the softer ones anyways, meaning that the drummer won't hit as hard. Let's put it that way, if you have a death metal drummer behind you raping his kit with blast beats, your cleans will drown. Your death metal sound on the other hand won't.

in terms of bedroom amp... Not really to be honest. It needs a bit of master volume to come alive, and even in 7 watts mode that's too loud for evening jamming in an apartment. My 100 watts Engl Blackmore is actually way more suited for this job, and I notice that I always play the orange way louder than the Engl... Noise wise it's one of the quietest amps I ever played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can't say much about this. The jacks feel sturdy, the pots all have the same turning resistance, the tolex is pretty and feels sturdy, the switches seem solid, and it hasn't failed me yet in the 4 months of owning it. I have no reason to assume that it ever will, and gigging it is no problem. I'll give it a 9. It's made in China, but I really couldn't care less. I haven't opened it yet, therefore I have no idea how it's built inside, but that doesn't really matter to me as long as it's reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp. It's small, it's cute, it sounds awesome, and most of all it has character and feels and sounds honest and natural. Nothing artificial about it. Feature wise it's simple and straightforward, the addition of a presence knob wouldn't hurt though, and if they ever make a dual version with 2 sets of gain/volume controls I'll be all over it! In my opinion the OR15 is the best choice in the 15-25 watts sector for people who want a vintage sounding amp with metal capabilities at a reasonable price. For metal only I'd recommend the Randall RD20, at a slightly higher price the Engl Ironball is the choice for people who need more features and want ultimate versatility combined with lower wattage. I'm very happy with this amp, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's not perfect, but it has character, and it's a character I fell in love with. // 8

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014