PPC412 Review

reviews (2) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
PPC412 Reviewed by: Weybl Himself, on february 24, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: This 50kg beast is a 2010 Orange PPC412 4x12 speaker cabinet. I figured I would review it since reviews on speaker cabs are sparse here on UG and in my opinion they're one of the most vital parts of anyone's rig. This is a big, simple, and effective bit of gear. constructed out of 13 ply birch and loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers making it able to handle 240 Watts RMS. 16 Ohm impedence means it's a perfect match for most high end head units (electically at least anyway). It is, as I've mentioned, a heavy (and big) piece of kit. Weighing in at 50kgs and wider than most equivalent cabs, it can be a bit of a challenge to cart around, but certainly not to the point of it not being worth it. This is compounded by the lack of wheels on the cab. Orange have fitted it with their 'skid' design feet which, they claim, will improve bass response and tone due to coupling the cab with its environment more completely. To me, it smacks of cost cutting, and makes this already ungainly cab even more ungainly. I've dropped a few marks on features purely because there are only so many features you can put in a cab. Also the lack of wheels. // 8

Sound: I'm currently running my (heavily) modified Les paul Custom through a Marshall JVM410H (also reviewed the amp) into this cab. The combination is, in a word, incredible. Orange cabs seem to be a perfect match to Marshall heads. There's a natural midrange response from the cab which really accentuates the growling, aggressive midrange of the overdrive channels on the Marshall. The bottom end is tight as a drum, big and powerfull without becoming overly boomy or woofy. High end response is present, but never harsh (provided you EQ your amp properly). But the real star is the midrange. The low mids are punchy and percussive, and the upper mids are crystal clear, the result of this is fantastic note definition no matter what level of distortion or clean tone your amp is putting out and no matter how ridiculous your chord shapes may be. This cab does exactly what a cab should, takes my favourite elements of the JVm, and accentuates them beautifull. It won't be a perfect match for all amp heads, obviously, but if you're playing something british, chances are, this thing will work wonders for your tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Quite simply, this is one of the most solid pieces of equipment I've ever encountered. I've come accross touring PA speaker boxes that are less solid than this thing. Those thick sides don't just give you fantastic tone, they make the cab as sturdy as you'll ever need it to be. I did initially have a slight issue with one of the corner caps coming loose, but that was after I caught it on the edge of a piece of trim on my car, and beleive me, the car came off second best and the corner was easily sixed with a steel mallet. That's how tough this thing is, you fix it with a sledgehammer. Nuff said. // 9

Overall Impression: Orange amps in recent years are becoming more and more widespread, and there's good reason for it. Even if you're not a fan of their amps, it's defniitely worth checking out their cabs as, I believe, they are some of the best soudning and most versatile out there. In my 12 years of playing, I am yet to come accross a piece of gear than meets my needs so easily. Check one out now. // 9

PPC412 Reviewed by: MLM10492, on july 15, 2014

Features: PPC412 4 x 12" closed back speaker cabinet featuring (4) 60 watt Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Orange speaker cabinets, like our amplifiers, are built to last using extremely rugged construction and manufacturing techniques. Every PPC412 is built using 13 ply high density 18mm Baltic Birch plywood. Our unique skid feet design helps to acoustically couple our cabinets to the stage, thus providing a tighter bass response and full range tone definition. The result is a laser-focused tone that’s full of warm midrange.

The PPC412 speaker cabinet is equipped with Celestion speakers, comfortable flush handles, and our legendary basket-weave grill cloth. The Orange PPC412 is 240 watts, comes with 4 Celestion Vintage 30's and weighs about 103 lbs or so. It is very hard to get around unless you are very strong or have casters (which must be bought separately)to help maneuver it. // 9

Sound: In my opinion, it is great if you are going for a more midsy sound with not too much attack. It cuts through very well when playing live. It definitely has more of a lower end bass-like or midsy sound if that makes any sense. Compared to the Mesa, it has less attack and more of a presence about it. I play metalcore music and it works out great for harmonious/melodic leads. I will say however that it sounds near perfect for playing music like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Fall Out Boy and bands like that. It excels at pop/rock/punk type stuff in my opinion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Orange is very durable, very tough and very dependable. I haven't had a single problem with it and I have been playing it for about a year now. It will get the scuffs and bumps here and there from the black of my amp head or bumping into something carrying it to a from the stage but every little mark I have ever gotten on it comes off with a warm damp cloth.

As for the hardware and how it was put together, I have taken it completely apart just to see what it looks like inside and it is very well put together. The back of the cab is very hard to get off (after taking the screws out) because it was cut so perfectly that even without the screws it would not fall out by itself. The interior of the amp looks and smells like it has never seen the light of day before, not a single scuff or nick anywhere. The screws look like they were screwed into the cab in one try and flawlessly. The wiring looks like it was precisely done and just overall, I saw not a single thing wrong with this cab. Unlike, the Line 6 cab I was using before. It looked like it was poorly made and not much time went into putting it together. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play metalcore music (ex: Blessthefall, Motionless In White, Crown The Empire, Asking Alexandria, etc.) and also more rock-like music (Taking Back Sunday, The Used, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, etc.) I find that it excels VERY strongly in the rock type of music I play and it does very well for metalcore as well. I might end up purchasing a tube screamer to give my sound a bit more attack because it is a very midsy and bass-like sounding cab, but it sounds amazing overall. // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014