PPC412 Review

review (1) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
PPC412 Reviewed by: Weybl Himself, on february 24, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: This 50kg beast is a 2010 Orange PPC412 4x12 speaker cabinet. I figured I would review it since reviews on speaker cabs are sparse here on UG and in my opinion they're one of the most vital parts of anyone's rig. This is a big, simple, and effective bit of gear. constructed out of 13 ply birch and loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers making it able to handle 240 Watts RMS. 16 Ohm impedence means it's a perfect match for most high end head units (electically at least anyway). It is, as I've mentioned, a heavy (and big) piece of kit. Weighing in at 50kgs and wider than most equivalent cabs, it can be a bit of a challenge to cart around, but certainly not to the point of it not being worth it. This is compounded by the lack of wheels on the cab. Orange have fitted it with their 'skid' design feet which, they claim, will improve bass response and tone due to coupling the cab with its environment more completely. To me, it smacks of cost cutting, and makes this already ungainly cab even more ungainly. I've dropped a few marks on features purely because there are only so many features you can put in a cab. Also the lack of wheels. // 8

Sound: I'm currently running my (heavily) modified Les paul Custom through a Marshall JVM410H (also reviewed the amp) into this cab. The combination is, in a word, incredible. Orange cabs seem to be a perfect match to Marshall heads. There's a natural midrange response from the cab which really accentuates the growling, aggressive midrange of the overdrive channels on the Marshall. The bottom end is tight as a drum, big and powerfull without becoming overly boomy or woofy. High end response is present, but never harsh (provided you EQ your amp properly). But the real star is the midrange. The low mids are punchy and percussive, and the upper mids are crystal clear, the result of this is fantastic note definition no matter what level of distortion or clean tone your amp is putting out and no matter how ridiculous your chord shapes may be. This cab does exactly what a cab should, takes my favourite elements of the JVm, and accentuates them beautifull. It won't be a perfect match for all amp heads, obviously, but if you're playing something british, chances are, this thing will work wonders for your tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Quite simply, this is one of the most solid pieces of equipment I've ever encountered. I've come accross touring PA speaker boxes that are less solid than this thing. Those thick sides don't just give you fantastic tone, they make the cab as sturdy as you'll ever need it to be. I did initially have a slight issue with one of the corner caps coming loose, but that was after I caught it on the edge of a piece of trim on my car, and beleive me, the car came off second best and the corner was easily sixed with a steel mallet. That's how tough this thing is, you fix it with a sledgehammer. Nuff said. // 9

Overall Impression: Orange amps in recent years are becoming more and more widespread, and there's good reason for it. Even if you're not a fan of their amps, it's defniitely worth checking out their cabs as, I believe, they are some of the best soudning and most versatile out there. In my 12 years of playing, I am yet to come accross a piece of gear than meets my needs so easily. Check one out now. // 9

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ OR15H 9.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014