Rockerverb 50 Head Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 10/22/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Rockerverb 50 Head
With the same preamp stages as it's 100 watt bigger brother, the Rockerverb 50 cuts down the power amp stage to 50 watts.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.4
 9.7
 9.1
reviews (2) pictures (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Rockerverb 50 Head Reviewed by: annostyle, on october 22, 2010

Purchased from: Humbuckermusic.com

Features: When it comes to choosing a new amp, I am way too picky. I went back and forth on a few different amps and finally chose this tone monster. The Orange Rockerverb 50. A dual channel, all tube, 50 watt head, packing 4 JJ 6V6 power tubes, 4 ECC83 pre-amp valves, tube driven reverb and tube driven FX loop. Now some of you might say, "With that kind of money, you could have bought an amp with double the wattage! Even triple the wattage!" But to be honest, I don't need 100 watts, nor 150 watts. And to be quite honest, nobody does unless you're a professional signed touring musician, rocking stadiums and arena's. I play small clubs a few nights a week around my area and believe me, 50 watts is the perfect amount. Not to mention its freaking loud! The tone out of this this is nothing shy of brilliant. I can say with certainty that this is by far the best sounding amp I've ever played. Scratch that, ever heard! This amp has very minimal features, but that is why I love it. You don't get lost trying to seek out the right tone. The features it has gives Stellar tone with minimal tweaking. // 9

Sound: This amp particularly sounds great while using a guitar with humbuckers. I play a PRS Custom 24, and an American Strat. The clean channel has lots of headroom and sounds crisp and clear at loud volumes. Only has a bass and treble EQ. Yup, 2 knobs. No mid control. But the more you crank the bass the further it scoops the mids, and to me, Orange nailed it perfectly. It can go into slight OD if you really crank it, but Im talking pretty loud. Has a very nice chime at all levels. The dirty channel is where this amp comes to life and smacks you in the face. Tone heaven. The gain knob goes from crystal clean when all the way down, to brutal distortion when all the way up. Its a 4 stage gain. One can easily obtain the sound of Led Zeppelin or ACDC with the gain around 10 -11 o'clock. Dial it up around 1 oclock and thats where you get an excellent tight punchy Drive that just has balls. Thats the only I can describe it. Balls. Listen to some early Van Halen and thats the tone this thing produces. I can achieve awesome hard rock metal tones with the gain between 1 and 3 o'clock. Anything further than that and it becomes a little mushy. LOTS of gain. However, everything stays nice and tight when you are picking riffs and solos. Everything is well defined and cuts through like a knife. The EQ is a 3 band with bass, treble, mids. Its hard to dial in a bad tone from this amp, but I like to keep my bass and treble around 2 o'clock and the mids just below noon. There is no need for any OD pedal, to me it just weakens the tone. The crunch is that good. I'm just using my tube screamer as a boost now with the Drive all the way down. The reverb is huge. Too huge. Anything past 10 o'clock and its unnecessary. Its very touchy. 9 o'clock is good to give your solo's a Gilmour like vibe. The reverb just goes crazy all the way up. But I guess that gives more possibilities for some ambient crazy sounds. the quartet of 6V6 tubes sound really good. I've never owned an amp that was loaded with them and I was pretty shocked at how good they sound. I've always been an EL34 kind of guy. These 6V6's break up very nicely and produce a killer tone. Thumbs up. The FX loop sounds very transparent. I've run an EQ and delay through it and so far no tone sucking. Though I've heard these amps tend to alter the tone when running pedals in the FX loop. I think if you keep it minimal you're OK. On the back there is a High/Low damping switch. This controls the amount of current to the power tubes. On high the output is standard, on low, the output sensitivity is increased. I prefer the low setting. The difference is very small but it does give a slight punchyness. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for a few weeks and so far so good. I think as long as its taken care of and well maintained, it should last years and sound great. Baby your amps! // 10

Overall Impression: The sound this thing produces is what I have heard in my head my entire life. And now I found it. I've played on countless amps searching for the one. Even played the Rockerverb 100. Actually owned one for a few days. Sold it. The 50 to me is far superior. I highly recommend. // 10

Rockerverb 50 Head Reviewed by: Lee_home, on june 17, 2009

Price paid: € 1200

Features: 2008, I play Rock/Jazz/Pop. Music it suit's my style perfectly. But can easily play heavier Styles like Metal, 2 channels switchable manually or by footswitch, clean and OD, EQ for each channel, FX loop, etc. 50 watts. (this Thing is Loud... Really ), etc... This amp has a lot of features. Just don't have Fx apart from reverb on it which I like that. // 9

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio with it or my Hagstrom Viking, with the first one this guitar gives me an amazing distortion sound, the cleans are Cristal clear.. Very nice really, I can with this guitar achieve heavier sounds with this amp I think with a Jackson or Dean guitar I can do Heavy Metal heasily, with my Hagstrom this amp gives me a nice jazz sound well more blues than jazz.. Warm OD and deep clear cleans. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I had a problem with it when I purchased it in a tube, but it as because of the transport and those gorillas that transport the stuff I'll not mention the name of the transport company but you all know that those guys are a bit **++, after I solved the problem with the tube I never had other problems with it, very reliable and trusted amp... A bit heavy but the construction of this amp is incredible... A real tank, this is meant to last. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm very pleased with the amp, it was the best choice I could haver made. If it was now I would buy this amp again, Orange amps are very nice amps... If you play metal.. I'll say maybe don't buy this one the 100 watts will suit your style perfectly. But if you play Rock, Jazz or blues and even Pop this amp is your amp. // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ OR15H 9.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014