Rockerverb 50 MK II Head Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 12/14/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Rockerverb 50 MK II Head
To me this amp is the tone I've been searching for, for along time and tried all kinds of amps but this one was a clear winner for me. The tones out of this head seemed so simple to achieve and its got swagger with some brutality mixed in very tight with heaps of gain!
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Rockerverb 50 MK II Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2012

Price paid: A$ 2500

Purchased from: Musicorp

Features: I have just purchased thing Orange Rockerverb 50 MK II. I'd say its made with in the year considering its straight out of the box. It has two channels clean and dirty, both are perfect for what I need for my band Prisoners Of Faith which we've been dubbed as a power thrash metal band. I use this amp in conjunction with my Moen GEC9 pedal switcher which work quite well together I'm able to change the amp channels and multiple pedals running through te front and back of the amp with one button. I use this amp at home with bedroom volumes which works pretty good. It's loud enough for being jamming with a drummer and playing live at the local. Love the EL34 ruby tubes they sound great! I don't have any flaws with this amp thus far, which hasn't been long so I'll give it a far rating considering. // 8

Sound: I'm running my Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a 59' in the neck. This guitar has quite a bright tone with rich harmonics, so this head seems to be a nice match for the Orange head seems strong in the lower frenquencies. I play most styles from Doom to Blues to Death metal, this amp is capable of all styles it does need to be dialed in which isnt hard having the EQ being very responsive. Note you do need a good overdrive pedal in the front if you want to tighten up the tone a bit which is typical of most amps built for metal. I'm using a Decimator in front of my delays in the fx loop so I don't find it too noisy, but quality cables will make the difference. The tone coming out of this thing when I plugged it in spun me out it sounded and felt amazing to play the harmonics are strong the low end is tight with the right EQ, it can get loose but only if you want it loose (Doom). The clean channel is extremely dynamic and with some modulations it can sound brilliant! Yes the clean can get distorted at higher volumes but it acts just like a plexi which I like very much. It can stay very clean at high volumes as well but if played nicely and not slammed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel with the name and reputation it should last me a life time but only time will tell which I haven't had enough of with it yet. I have gigged heavily with a Bugera 1960 head and it has treated me well but it is slowley falling apart and the shrilly tone killed it for me, as soon as I boosted with an overdrive and a clean boost with the distortion pedal it lost it. The Rockerverb is a well deserved replacement and obviously a better one. I'll give this section a lower rating due to not owning it long enough to give an honest opinion on durability. // 7

Overall Impression: To me this amp is the tone I've been searching for, for along time and tried all kinds of amps but this one was a clear winner for me. I've been playing guitar for 12 years, I use to own heaps of gear but have sold almost all of it due to excess baggage. You don't get the foot switch with the purchase of this amp but to me it would have collected dust due to my GEC9. If it were stolen or lost I would replace it in a heart beat if I had the cash haha. I love this amp, stoked I got it and keen to be playing for many years to come. I have compared this amp with a Mesa Dual Rectifier, Blackstar S1 200, Hughes And Kettner Triamp and a Marshall YJM, DSL and a JCM 800. The tones out of this head seemed so simple to achieve and its got swagger with some brutality mixed in very tight with heaps of gain! I wish it a a multiplying button so I could have a wall of em haha.

// 9

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014