Tiny Terror Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 06/15/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Orange: Tiny Terror
With 15 watts of available Class A valve power, the Tiny Terror is a highly versatile workhorse suited to a myriad of guitar playing scenarios.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 7.6
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (8) 124 comments vote for this gear:
Tiny Terror Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 19, 2008

Features: British amp company Orange needs no introduction these days. The current Vintage boom in guitar and amplifier manufacturing has been weighing in these guys' favor for the past few years, and hopefully for many years to come. Current and classic models include the AD30, Rockerverb, and Thunderverb, and Rocker 30. If you are unfamiliar with these amps you owe it to yourself to make it to the nearest Orange dealer or at least check some audio clips out online. For British crunch and growl there aren't many amps out there doing it better. Beautifully and simply designed, the affordable Tiny Terror is a suitable younger sibling to these British monsters. As far as features are concerned the Tiny Terror takes the meat and potatoes approach. This amplifier's exterior consist of an input, a volume knob, tone knob, gain knob, two 8 ohm speaker outputs, and one 16 ohm speaker output. Oh yeah, I can't forget about the wattage Switch which takes the amp from 15 watts of class A power to 7 watts (you will hear about a 20 percent difference in volume but noticeably more gain). The interior of the amp is just as simple. Equipped with 2 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes, the Tiny Terror is about as simple as it gets. Don't let the absence of fancy buttons and knobs fool you. This little screamer is fully capable to rock! // 8

Sound: I originally purchased the Tiny Terror to be used with my strat or tele for classic Hendrix/Gilmour/Trower/Clapton tones. This amp loves single coil pickups. Dime the volume knob all the way, turn the tone to 1 o'clock, let the gain sit around 30 percent and you might just hear what your guitar was supposed to sound like all of these years. The tone coming from the Tiny Terror at this setting is brutally honest. All of the beautiful imperfections in an old strat's tone come singing through. The Tiny Terror would not be a true Orange classic if it were not able to handle the full on British assault. Crank up the gain and bring the tone control down a bit, then prepare for a clear yet surprisingly gnarly gain. Depending on the speaker cabinet being used, the Tiny Terror can get a little brittle at these settings. However, through an Orange 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet I heard nothing about the amps tone that I wanted to change. Through a less beefy cabinet you might notice a lack of low end as well. I personally feel most people have too much low end in their tone these days anyway and this amp sounds great in a dual guitar band setting. The tones cuts through a Live mix great and never gets out of hand with the high frequencies when moving up the fretboard. This amp is often used as a part of a studio engineer's arsenal. However, I've used this amp several times in a Live setting with much satisfaction. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp I had is a Chinese model and is less than a year old. I have given the amp a reasonable amount of abuse and never have any concerns with it operating at gig time. The chassis seems to be very sturdy and all of the pots and jacks are solid as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Low wattage tube amps are a huge trend right now among amp enthusiasts. Being able to hear power tube overdrive at reasonable volumes is an increasing demand. The Orange Tiny Terror does a great job of delivering an authentic Vintage British overdrive tone in a small affordable package. I have seen some press on this amp giving it negative feedback for its inability to fill a large club. In my experience, most clubs ask the guitar players to turn down on stage to make head room for the front of house mix anyway. The amp loses points in the low-end factor, which is only a concern for heavier styles. With the gain fully cranked it seemed to be a little too biting (depending on the cabinet). Other than these two negatives, jamming on this amp has been a pleasure. It has beautifully brought out many subtleties and nuances of my guitars and my playing. I would definitely recommend checking one out! // 8

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on august 17, 2007

Features: The Tiny Terror is a new prdocut from UK based Orange Amplifiers. This single channel all tube head unit combines professional grade tube tone and power into a small and affordable unit. The Tinny Terror features a very simple setup with a Volume, Gain, and Tone control. There is an out put Switch that can cut the amp's power from a full 15 watts to 7 watts, making it a versatile Tool for the recording, gigging, or bed room playing musician. Packed with 2 EL84s this amp delivers some impressive tones at a really great price. The downside to the amp is it's limited control. There is only one channel so any change in gain has to be done through an effects pedal or manually. // 7

Sound: This is a very British sounding amp. I played a Gibson Les Paul through this amp, as well as some other humbucker guitars, and I was surprised by the fact that this amp really brings out the characteristics and nuances of the guitar. By manipulating the tone knob, I was able to get both warm and sparkly clean sounds. When driven, the amp sounds great for many different styles (depending on how hard you Drive it). From classic sounds like Led Zeppelin and AC/DC to punk bands like the Ramones, and modern sounds of Audioslave, the Tiny Terror covers a lot of territory considering it's size and limited control options. The distortion certainly wont satisfy the taste of metal guitarists. Overall, the amp sounds fantastic! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built for a multitude of purposes. Whether your driving from band practice to house to gig to studio, or just walking into your bedroom, the Tiny Terror was built for musicians on the go. With a solid steel casing and an included padded travel bag, you can rely on the Tiny Terror to hold up for all your endeavors. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different stlyes, mostly alternative rock and grunge. The Tiny Terror is amazing. It can compete with a lot of 30 watt solid state amps and is usually a quarter of their size. I was really impressed with the engineering of the amp. To have only three knobs to play with and still be able to produce an enormous range of tones and sounds is incredible. I love the price, it's portability, and the sounds I get from the head. If it were stolen I would probably replace it with another. I really wish it had a second channel, even if it were a direct clone of the first, just so I could Switch from clean to OD through a footswitch. Overall, this is a great amp for any one on a budget looking for class A tube tone! // 9

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: Miracle_Man, on january 19, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I think that my amp was made in 2006. The Orange Tiny Terror is a very versatile piece of kit. It is a small, single channel tube amp which is available at a very competative price. I primarily play classic rock and 80's metal, but I do occasionally venture into other genres such as funk or blues. The amp is perfect for this kind of music and delivers that classic Orange crunch. The Tiny Terror is a single channel amp with a 15/7 watt Switch. Which, to be honest doesn't make that much of a difference to the volume, just makes the tone sound a little fuller and less "sizzly". The only controls are gain, tone and volume. This amp would be great if it had another channel to Switch from clean to lead, although, it isn't too much effort to turn the gain up manually. Two 12AX7s give the preamp such a classic voicing, and the power amp boasts two EL84s. Even though it is a small amplifier, I find that it has enough power for all of my current uses. It can be heard over a drummer, and I find that when I am practicing I rarely ever turn the volume past 10 o'clock. With the gain past 3 o'clock it is VERY loud. I haven't used it at any gigs, so I don't know how it would cope. The Tiny Terror could benefit from another channel and a tone stack to give a wider variety of tones. // 7

Sound: I play a PRS CE 22 through the terror and I have it plugged into a 1x12 cabinet with a celestion Vintage 30. The sound is very bright and a great AC/DC style crunch can be emulated with ease. The amp is perfect for playing Classic Rock style guitar, although it would struggle to pull off the gain for anything insanely heavy metal without some sort of overdrive pedal. It can just about manage Van Halen style tones although the gain knob has to be around 4 o'clock and the volume very low to avoid me receiving complaints from the neighbours. I do not play a lot of heavy gain music so it suits me perfectly. On higher gain settings the amp can get a bit noisy with the Stratocaster, however the humbuckers on my PRS are quiet so I expect that it is probably an issue with my guitar. The amp can make large variety of different sounds however they are all quite high in the mids. If the amp were to have a tone stack instead of a single knob to control tone could be improved. With the gain at 10 o'clock the clean channel to starts to break up when the volume gets to 12 o'clock, although, being a tube amp it is a toneful and audibly pleasing breakup which is ideal for certain styles of blues. The amp couldn't be used for perfect cleans at gigs unless it was miced up through a good PA system as it breaks up quite early. I think it would be great for gigging for overdrive and distorted songs though. But, as I mentioned above I have not tried it at a gig so I would only be guessing. With the humbuckers on my PRS it is great for Angus Young and Jimmy Page style tones, even up to heavier stuff like Slash. With my Fender it sounds slightly more bluesy and less distorted. Overall, it is a VERY nice sounding amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems solidly built. The chassis is made of metal and it comes with a bag to carry it in. Although, being a tube amp you have to be careful with it and try to avoid banging it around too much as you could damage the fragile tubes. I have only owned the amp for 6 months and used it for home use and the occasional band practice. It has been 100% reliable for me so far, but I don't know how this would be someone Who were to gig with it regularly. I haven't needed to change the tubes yet, but, as I say, I haven't really owned it all that long. // 9

Overall Impression: The Tiny Terror is great for "tube noobs" and professionals alike. It is a great amp for those Who are tired of playing through their solid state practice amp and are on the search for "tone", or for those Who don't see the need in spending any more than necessary on an amplifier when they can buy the Tiny Terror for so little compared to some other brands. If it were lost or stolen I would probably save up some more money and buy a Marshall stack or an Orange Rocker 30, purely for the extra channel and additional features. I love the tone and it just blows my old Marshall MG right out of the water. I would recommend this amplifier to anyone Who wants great tone at a low price and didn't need tonnes of gain. // 9

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: RicardoB, on may 23, 2008

Purchased from: Seattle Store

Features: I purchased the Tiny Terror September 2007, but I beleive it is a 2006 model, made in Asia. This amp is as basic as you get in terms of features... Single channel, Class A tube/valve amp switchable from 7 to 15 watts with knobs for Volume, Gain and Tone. Outside of the tone knob, which functions in much the same manner as a guitar tone knob, there is no real way to tweak the amp's sound. For this you would need pedals (like an EQ for instance) which, fortunatly, the Tiny Terror reacts with quite well, though there is no effects loop. If you enjoy the amps tone, that's not going to be a huge problem, but if you don't really like the amp's tone to begin with, you're probably not going to be able to dial in what you're looking for. As for outputs, it can take 1 or 2 16ohm cabinets, or 1 8ohm cabinet. // 7

Sound: This is the make or break section for any amp, and for this amp especially because of it's lack of features. Personally, I love the tone coming out of this amp, which ranges from good cleans to great warm, thick crunch. The cleans are not Fender-like, but they are quite nice in their own right. This amp, by itself, will not get you into any modern metal territory, you'll definetly need pedals, but it gets "hard" rock, ie Sabbath, GN'R, Zeppelin and the like. I've tested it with a Strat, Telecaster, Les Paul and Ibanez with an H-S-H setup. You get some nice tones coming out from all these combinations. It is responsive to your guitar's tone knob, which I use to roll of the highs when they become too shrill. I've used it with both the Orange 1X12(Vintage 30) and a Marshall 1960A 4X12(G12-75W). To be honest, it sounds kind of "screamy" with just the 1X12, almost like the speaker is trying too hard to be heard. It sounds much better with more than one speaker (the 4X12, or both the 4X12 and Orange 1X12) The combination gives it a nice mix of lows and highs from the Marshall and Crunchy mids from the Vintage 30. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The outer casing is solid metal and it comes with a little carrying bag that everyone seems to like. it's not very heavy so you can move it around to gigs and practices quite easily. If you take care of it, you should be able to gig without a backup, but if you have one it's a good idea to bring it anyway. No problems so far, sounds as good as the day I bought it and I've heard good things about Orange's quality and tech support. // 10

Overall Impression: By the time you pair this with a decent Cab it's not super cheap and you do have some other nice options in the price and wattage range. The Fender Blues Jr. is cheaper and has nice cleans, but the Orange beats it for OD. The Vox AC15 or 30 have nice cleans as well as nice crunch but they are in the combo format and tonally I prefered the Terror. You could also go with a used Marshall head, but you're looking at way more wattage, and the need for an attenuator to maintain your hearing into your 30-40s. To be honest though, if it were stolen, I'd probably go the used Marshall route. If it had a second channel or more tone controlling knobs, it would be tougher to give up though. This amp is one of the best in the entry-level tube/valve and low wattage amps. In fact, I think that title would be between this and the Vox AC30. It's great for recording, those bedroom musicians out there and would probably satisfy many of the gigging musicians, Who'd be micing up there cabs anyway. If you don't have an image problem and can stand in front of this little baby on stage, you'll probably pleasantly surprise many in the audience. Best thing, like always, is to try it out in the shop, or if you're embarrassed to play in a music shop, see if you can rent it. Better to pay $20 than an amp that takes your money when you divorce it after the honeymoon stage. I'd give this amp a 10 vs it's direct competition but overall I'll give it a... // 9

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: Deep*Kick, on october 20, 2008

Price paid: A$ 701.5

Purchased from: Private

Features: I am not too sure about the year of this amp, I would think 2007/8, as I bought it this year in almost perfect condition. I play a lot of different styles from thrash to hard rock, to classic rock to blues. This amp is being played through and Epiphone Valve Junior cab and gives me a very Vintage sound, it can give a variety of tones, but can't quite cover everything. it's a single channel all tube amp with a variable wattage Switch so you can choose either 15 or 7 Watts. The power amps are EL84's, I am not sure of the brand. It has Volume, tone and gain knobs. And 1x16ohm and 2x8ohm outputs. I wish it had bass, mid and treble knobs but oh well. I use it for bedroom use, on 7 watts, and with the gain at 6, I don't really use it above volume 3. Also came with carry case, terrifying. // 8

Sound: With this amp I am using a Schecter blackjack C1-FR (with Seymour Duncan JB and 59') and for my styles listed above it covers about 3/4. For clean blues and slightly crunchy blues it is fantastic. The gain can be set at around 3 and I can turn it (the volume) up enough to get some minor breakup in the tubes to give a nice warm, smooth tone with humbuckers and a very crisp midrange with bright (but still smooth) highs when coil tapped. Turning the tone knob seems to adjust the presence of highs and mid-range frequencies (I leave tone at 6). Turning the gain up to about 5, gives a great classic rock tone (cream to some ZZ top) with fat bass and an overall crunchy blues influenced rock. With the gain up at 6-8.5 harder rock sounds can be achieved such as Led Zep (6) to Big bad moon- Joe Satriani and Rusty old boat- Paul Gilbert. Distortion after this gain to my ears just adds a little extra noise. Sorry I don't get teh br00talz without an OD pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its seems loud enough to me for small gigs, but I am not sure I would want to use it for gigs without a better cab. The amp hasn't broken down or anything, although something did fall out of the carry case when I took the amp out for the first time, but I can't find what it did. I haven't had it up loud enough on the 15 watt setting to test clean headroom, and haven't had it long enough to make complete assumptions on reliability, but the Tiny Terror is sturdy and always ready to play when I am (after a minute). Spare tubes are always necessary for gigs I guess // 9

Overall Impression: For blues, jazz, blues rock, classic rock and some hard-ish rock this amp is great, I have been playing for about 2 years now and own a Schecter Blackjack C1-FR. My first amp was a Marshall MG and in comparison this amp is godlike in tone. With an OD pedal this would definitely cover the Br00talz depending on your cabinet, but probably not Death metal because of the EL84's more crunch tones. I was going to buy a Carvin X60B before the economy went [shizzle]e and still would like one, but I am very happy with the Tiny Terror. The Vintage crunch tone is great because that's about 3/4s of what I play, and it is one of the best amps in it's price range. I would like for it to have a 3 way EQ but a good pedal can do that anyway. I would raise Bruce Lee from the grave to teach me martial arts so I could kick the ass of whoever tries to steal it. // 9

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: SG6578, on november 03, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: I didn't look at the serial number but mine is made in Korea. Very simple controls: gain, volume, and tone. It only has one channel but it's not too much of a hassle to just turn the knobs. It has one 16 ohm output, and two 8 ohm outputs. So you can run one 16 ohm cab, one 8 ohm cab, or two 16 ohm cabs. The features are once again very simple but not bad. The only thing I don't like is that Orange doesn't include any kind of manual for the Tiny Terror or have anything available on their website. // 7

Sound: I play mine with an LTD EC-400 with an EMG 81/60 pickup combination. I honestly bought mine with the intent of using it for metal, but it will not work for modern metal without the aid of an overdrive pedal in front of it (I use a TS-9 tubescreamer). Regardless of a pedal or not, this thing sounds absolutely amazing! Will fit everything from blues all the way up to hard rock without the aid of footpedals. It is also very loud, you could easily do a small gig with it. The "clean" sound is only clean at low volumes however, but it is a low power class A tube amp so this should be expected. It does make a little bit of noise when you crank the volume past half way, but it's something you could deal with. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Mine is build like a tank. I would definately gig it without a backup. The only way I could ever see this thing breaking is if you dropped it and one of the tubes Busted. I've never had a problem with mine. I like the EL-84's, their fairly cheap to replace and don't need biasing. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years now and this thing is one of the best sounding heads I've ever played for the money (and I have played a lot of them). This head suits me perfectly with metal, as well as punk. If this was stolen I would without a doubt buy another. I love the simplicity of the head, if you really wan't to tweak the settings to the finest points you could buy an equalizer but it doesn't really need it. I don't really hate anything on the head. This head sounds very similar (in my opinion) to a Marshall Vintage Modern, except the Tiny Terror has more gain. // 9

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: metal jello, on january 08, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Let me start by explaining what I play. I play post-hardcore/experimental/mathrock in my band. My influences include; The Fall Of Troy, System Of A Down, Foxy Shazam, and Dance Gavin Dance. I also play classic rock and blues and whatever sparks my interest. I play a Gibson Explorer and I use an Avatar G412 cab with Celestion V30s and T75s. You can get a huge variety of tones with this amp, it does everything I want it to and then some. It has 3 knobs (Volume, Tone, Gain) and a 15/7 watt switch, which has a great impact on the tone and output. I think it has plenty of features, considering the tones you can get with just three knobs. // 10

Sound: This thing has a massive Vintage tone, with that classic midrange roar and bite. This is as British as it gets. The Tiny Terror also has beautiful pick response and clarity. Play hard, it sounds aggressive. Play light, its cleans up. The volume knob on your guitar also becomes an instrument in its own right. Set your gain low and volume high and you've got classic Orange cleans. Crank the gain halfway and you've got classic ACDC. Crank the gain, and it gets pretty hot. I'd say the Tiny Terror has enough gain for metal. You don\t need a ton of gain, it oversaturates your tone and the aggression in your playing dynamics doesn't come through as much. The tone knob sounds good at any level, but I tend to run it around 5-6 for even sounding tones with plenty of low end. With 7 watts, you can crank it more. With 15 watts you have more headroom and a wide open sound. Being a lower wattage amp, you can crank this much easier live or in the studio and get that classic cranked tone. Its perfect This is the loudest 15 wats i have ever heard. I perviously played a Line 6 Spider Valve, which is 40 watts. This actually sounds louder, and it cuts through the band better. With the volume at 5 and the gain at 8, i had no problems being heard by the band and our neighbors a few houses down. (even over our loud as hell drummer).. btw, all of our neighbors within 3 houses are moving, if that tells you how loud we play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing seems extremely sturdy. Solid construction, and the tubes seem nice and safe inside. With the padded carrying bag, it's absolutely perfect for travel and gigging. I would gig without a backup no problem. I've had no problems with it breaking down, and I haven't needed to change the tubes yet. In my opinion, the Tiny Terror is one of the sexiest little amps out there. The look is undeniably cool. It looks like Jimi Hendrix's toaster. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play post-hardcore/experimental/mathrock similar to The Fall Of Troy. Its a perfect match for what I play. I previously owned a Line 6 Spider Valve, and the Tiny Terror just destroys it. I've been playing for around 5 years, and I play everyday and study music. If it were stolen I would get another for sure. I love the tone, looks, and portability of this amp. I don't like that I didn't buy it sooner. If you're looking for classic cleans, crunch, and roaring metal tones, the Tiny Terror is perfect. // 10

Tiny Terror Reviewed by: Stud_Muffin, on june 15, 2011

Features: The Orange Tiny Terror is a portable, no frills, all-tube amplifier, with just enough features to A). Get the job done and B). Give you a fairly decent variation in tone. Made in China (unlike many of the flagship models of the company, which are made in England), the Orange Tiny Terror is essentially a single channel rock machine, with only 3 controls (Gain, Volume and Tone), to save time and effort in dialling in tones, with surprising variation. Combine this, with the switchable wattage (7 watt to 15 watt), and you have an amp, perfect for recording, practice with a band, and small to medium gigs. I can't rate this any higher than a 7, because of the limited features, but what it does have, suits me well, and would suit countless others, who yearn for great tube tone, and a rock 'n' roll simplicity. // 7

Sound: When you consider that all this amp has, is volume, tone and gain controls, the tonal juice that one can squeeze (hey, Orange... Squeeze... Juice... How could I resist?) out of the amp is pretty decent. I play mostly alternative rock with it, think bands like Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro or Weezer, but I can push it into playing pop punk and hardcore, like Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong or even The Fall Of Troy, but any heavier, and the TT starts to fall down. Cleans are not a speciality of this amp, as they tend to break up at gig volume, even in 15 watt mode. Crunch is what this amp does, and to be perfectly honest, that's good enough to make up for lack of clean headroom in my eyes. The gain, when pushed above 7, starts to get a little fizzy, but if you set it at just over noon, and boost with an overdrive pedal, you can get higher gain tones, without the fizz. An EQ pedal would work brilliantly too, I use the MXR 10 Band, to give myself a little more to work with, when tone sculpting. If you use the volume control on your guitar to clean up, and an overdrive pedal to boost it a little further, you can get a smooth Switch between 3 tones (gritty cleans, crunch and deeper crunch), which suits me down to the ground. I use the amp with a MIM Fender Telecaster, all stock, and plug it into an Orange PPC 2x12 Open Backed Cabinet, with Celestion V30 speakers, and it sounds great to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged it a few times, since purchasing it, and it has stood up perfectly well. Some argue that 15 watts isnt enough to gig with; I beg to differ. I have gigged a medium sized venue, with the 7 watt mode, so anyone telling you that it is too small to gig, is crazy. Its loud as hell, and really fills up a room, when used with a nice 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet, and cranked up. Tube amps sound better cranked anyway, so I see little point in gigging with a 100 watt amp, and keeping it on 1/2 volume. I got the amp second hand from a seller on eBay, and he had it retubed, with the same tubes it came stock with (JJs), so I'm not expecting it to run into any problems anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I have deliberately been a bit reserved when scoring this amp, as it has very few features, and is definately specialised to various degrees and styles of crunch. However, it crunches so well, that this outweighs the lack of clean headroom and minimal features, for most, including me. I have been playing around 7/8 years, and I think I have found the perfect amp, for the style of music that I'm hoping to create in the future, and if stolen, I would definately consider buying another one, or even upgrading to a higher spec Orange, such as a Rocker 30, or even a Rockerverb 50. When buying the amp, I decided to reject the Vox Night Train and the Jet City JCA 20h, and I feel that I made the right decision. However, If it had an effects loop, I would be a bit happier, because I prefer the sound of an EQ pedal in the loop, but as I rarely use effects, it doesn't matter too much. I can imagine this being a deal breaker for others though. As a recap, this is a no frills, no bells and whistles amp, but it excels so well at the crunchy, clean break up tone, that I don't really care about what I'm 'missing out on', not having sterile cleans, or scooped, high gain tone, but if that's what you want, this amp isnt for you. However, if you want a nice, crunchy rhythm tone, and that's it, then this is a strong contender, and should be considered by anyone looking for a fun, little tube amp, for crunch and maybe more. // 8

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ OR15H 9.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014