Tiny Terror Combo Review

9.3
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Tiny Terror Combo Reviewed by: Notmewtwoguitar, on november 03, 2008

Features: The amp was made this year, it was announced in march and I'm not sure about the release date, but I think late summer. The amplifier has only got a gain, tone and volume control so built in features wise it does not have a lot, however hopefully you will own some fx pedals or an fx unit in which case you won't have a problem with this. It would have been nice to have bass, mid and treble controls but as I will get onto in the sound, this is a very minor gripe because the tone is brilliant already! You can Switch between 7 and 15 watts, though I think there is little difference between the two on a cleaner sound, when you Switch to something heavier in gain the 7 watt is useful for keeping it quiet! Which I think is a very clever little feature for bedroom practice, as this amp is ideal for bedroom playing. The amplifier is a tube amp, and a combo form of the earlier TT, I think the sound is slightly better than the original head with a cab, because it is housed very well inside the amp and allows a better tone. I use an ME-50 through this so I have no problems with the lack of features, and to be honest it doesn't really need Bass, Mid and Treble anyway, the features it comes with are fine, though I would recommend a distortion pedal if you don't have one so you can get hard rock/ old metal sounds. // 8

Sound: I only have an Ibanez GRG but even though this is only an entry level guitar the tone is brilliant! Cleans are not quite on par with the better Fender amplifiers, but they come close, and when you turn the gain up you can get very very nice crunch sounds. The distortion from my ME - 50 (which really depends on the quality of the amp, I used to use a Spider II [EEEK] and it sounds dreadful through that - I'm not talking about the distortion pedals, just the effects and delay because I know how bad they work through a modeling amp) sounds great through the amps clean sound, you can still get the clarity of each individual note, rather than a horrible mush on higher gain, and it handles creamy lead sounds perfectly. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses, some Hendrix etc. I like Classic Rock, Hard Rock and anything softer than that and with some sort of distortion device this amp is perfect! When I use the gain on the amp it can easily handle most types of Rock, but if you are into modern metal this amp is definitely not for you on it's own, there are probably amps which play metal a lot better if you look around. I love the tone of this amp, it makes me wonder HOW I ever coped with a Line 6 Spider, and beats that POS in every way by several miles! Playing through an amp with such lovely tone has given me full understanding of why people bash the Spider's so much on UG forums, even the amp's best channel, the insane setting is a load of crap when compared with the distortion tones that thing produced, words cannot describe the difference in quality! This amp is also great for blues, playing Clapton through this beast sounds brilliant. So all in all GREAT tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be made very solidly, however I have only owned it a week so I have no idea how it will cope in the long run. I would not owrry about the odd bash to this thing however (though I would hate to see that happen to my amp!) because it does seem strong. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for me, I don't dislike anything about it, I doubt I would change anything! I jam with friends occasionally, and in a small hall this was fine above a drummer, and I had a little head room left, however if you play larger venues you will need something bigger! It's great for bedroom playing, you can play fine without disturbing people! I looked at a Laney VC30 and a similar Peavey amp, but at the end of the day this blew both away! // 10

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014