G25R Review

6.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
G25R Reviewed by: ranbat, on march 14, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: While I don't know what year it is, I am guessing somewhere in the 90s. From what information I've been able to dig up on these amps, they are basically the precursor to Marshall's MG line of solid state amps. It's a solid amp for when I'm playing Hard Rock/Stoner/Doom. This amp is a two channel amp with Clean and Overdrive. Each channel has separate volume controls but a shared 3 band EQ. Channel switching can be done manually or with a footswitch, which mine did not come with. In addition to the two channels, you also have a spring reverb, which is a nice extra feature. Also provided is a headphone jack. // 8

Sound: Using my Agile Valkyrie III w/humbuckers, I was able to dial in a solid rock tone ala' John Christ or Angus Young pretty easy. With the Gain on about 4 and the EQ pegged, it sounds surprisingly good. But, once you start inching up the Gain it gets a little buzzy. This amp wasn't made for modern Metal, but if you're looking for a solid Heavy Rock tone on the cheap, this amp will get it. The Clean channel does well too, I just don't use it much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: While I haven't had it long, I think it'd do okay at a gig. I'd even use it without a backup amp. The thing I like about solid state amps is that there are no tubes to replace or worry about. It's obviously been fairly durable as an amp of the 90s as it's still capable of solid rock tones in 2011. // 7

Overall Impression: I play alot of styles, but this amp has turned out to be a great little amp for Stoner/Doom. I will say that I don't detune and this amp may not do well for those that do. If you're looking to play solid rock like AC/DC, this amp will get you there. I have a Fender and an Orange and this amp is just a good as either of them. I've been playing for 20+ years and wish I would've given these amps a chance sooner. If it were lost or stolen, I'd keep an eye out for another one, but these amps aren't easy to find. I love the way this amp can pull out a solid rock tone as a solid state amp. I wish you could turn the reverb off and on, but all you can really do is turn it all the way down. I also wish I had the foot switch, but I'm guessing any Marshall channel switching foot switch would work. It's comparable to the Marshall MG line. The thing I love about this over the Marshall MG stuff is the lack of extras. Two channels and reverb is all you need for a classic Hard Rock sound and the Park has it. // 9

More Park reviews rating category latest review
+ G10 6.6 Guitar Amplifiers 01/16/2009