6505 Head Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 03/18/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: 6505 Head
It features five 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6GC power amp tubes, with presence and resonance controls and three-band EQ for taming their notorious tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.8
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
reviews (10) 60 comments vote for this gear:
6505 Head Reviewed by: METALaildCORE, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Used

Features: The 6505 was made as the sequal for the 5150 series and to celebrate Peavey's 40 years in the market. I play mostly metal and this amp is a beast, amazing low end, it cuts through really well and very sensible knobs to get the tone you want. It has two channels rythem and lead both with enough gain to make your leg hairs go crazy, it features a footswitch with two buttons. One for channel switching and the other one for the effects loop. I use this head anywhere from small house shows to stadium shows, with 120 tube watts, its more than enough power. If you ever nedded more all you have to do is mike it but you probably want to do that either way. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG320DXQM with it gives me the sound I was looking for. Like a lot of amps I recomend that you do not turn the gain in the lead channel all the way up because all your adding is more noise and feedback. after a certain point you ear can't tell the difference, with this amp it's about 6 or 7. The distortion is amazing, if your looking for a sound like Unearth, Bleeding Through, etc, this is the amp your looking for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far it has been amazing. But no amp is perfect and will last you forever, so I would recomend having a backup head/amp as a backup because anything could happen, no matter what head you have. // 10

Overall Impression: If your into metal/hardcore/death metal and everything around that, this is the amp for you. Great distortion with a great tone and a great cut through. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, and if I'm going to tell you one thing, that is that I will never ever go back to solid state. Tube amps are simply the best, go find your perfect match and enjoy. // 10

6505 Head Reviewed by: Crimson_Eve, on april 02, 2007

Purchased from: House of Guitars

Features: This amp has more gain than any person with a real sense of tone will ever need. It simply just sounds good. The only thing I would really want from this amp is a second EQ for the cleans, but chances are if your buying this amp you don't use a whole lot of cleans. The preasence and resonance is a great way to add some depth to your tone also. This amp will have enough power, if for some reason you don't think it is, your doing something wrong. // 9

Sound: I was using a Hamer Standard Flametop, with EVO II's. I play metal and it is all I could have asked for as far as tone. You wont need to crank the gain because it's just going to create a lot of extra noise and feedback. There isnt a huge difference in the gain once you get it up there. A noise supressor is probably a good idea, especially if your going to keep the gain pegged. The cleans really aren't nearly as bad as everyone has always said. Plus on the clean channel there is a wide range of OD to put on it. If you want cleans this will handle it just fine (way better than Rectos). When you turn this thing up it only gets better and better. Keeping this at low volumes is like driving a Corvette at 30mph all day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Considering I bought mine brand new I would gig without a backup. Obviously if your buying used it depends on the condition. Like any amp you gotta do some routine maintanence, but it's built like a tank. Only thing is that it looks like it's going to be hard to get in there to change the preamp tubes. But if you don't do it yourself then it's not you problem now is it! // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal and this thing was made for it. Been playing for about 5 years. At the time I had been also looking at Mesa Triple Recto, Mark IV, and Marshall DSL100, and JCM800. If money wasn't an issue I would still buy this. it's just good. If you can find one to try out go for it, I would be willing to bet you find something you love about it. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because it does have small things that could be improved on, but what amp doesnt't? So in my opinion the best an amp is ever going to deserve is a 9. // 9

6505 Head Reviewed by: ItDiesToday321, on august 17, 2007

Features: I got the amp Brand New. For extreme metal there isn't a better amp out there in my opinion. It has 2 channels: rhythm and lead. It came with a footswitch. It has 2 inputs: 1 for high gain and 1 for normal gain. It has an effects loop and a preamp out that works pretty good. The only things I wish it would have is a more responsive presence knob and a better clean channel. I use this head at home for now but it has plenty of power for a good sized gig. // 8

Sound: I use a Schecter C-1 Plus with an EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. It sounds amazing for any types of metal. It has plenty of crunch and lead sounds are brutal although the amp is a little fizzy sometimes but that could also be my cab and tubes. People say it is noisy but really it isn't much of a problem on mine. It's got a little bit of versatility. I can get some great rock tones out of it and maybe some decent classic rock sounds too if I try hard. The clean channel is hard to keep from distorting but I personally like it distorting a tiny bit. The distortion is one of the best out there in my opinion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure I can depend on this head without a backup. There has never been a problem with it and I've had it for about 2 months. It came with a 3 year warranty which is pretty nice. It is built pretty tough. It seems as if I could drop it and it would be fine other than a tube breaking or something. I don't have any thing to say about the Peavey service as I haven't dealt with them yet. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal this is a dream amp. I've been playing for 2 years and never came across anything better. I would like to try out a mesa and maybe some Engls and Bogners just to see how much I like them compared to this head. I would replace this in an instant. It's always nice to have a 6505 around in the studio. // 9

6505 Head Reviewed by: robsta_65, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: GC

Features: I have wanted one of these for a long time, and finally got one. It is fairly new, the guy it's probably made in 05 or 04. Stock tubes. As far as features go, it is pretty standard; two channels, rhythm and lead, 3-band EQ for both channels, overall presence and resonance, selectable cab impendance, effects loop, and footswitch jack. Five 12ax7s in the preamp and four 6L6s in the power amp. Normal and High gain inputs. Bright and crunch switches (rhythm). // 9

Sound: I have only played through solid-state amps before and I must say, I will never go back. Ever. That being said I use an Epi LP with an overwound bridge pup and this baby screams. On a lighter note, the cleans really aren't that bad at all. Even on the high-gain input (on rhythm, mind you). the bright Switch enhances the highs while the crunch swith adds, crunch. Pretty straightfoward. The lead channel is amazing. Being a tube amp, there is some tweaking involved to get your desired sound. But once you get it, oh boy is it great. The gain on this channel can be set from Van Halen to early Green Day to the heaviest metal. Not cloudy or muddy at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Considering that this weighs as much as a tank (60lbs) it seems pretty durable. I've only had it a week, but I have only heard great things about it's reliability. And the tubes look like they are very good shape and are well protected. Can't really give it a 10 b/c I've only heard. // 9

Overall Impression: I play lots of music and this amp does a pretty good job at obtaing the sound that I need. My favorite feature besides the stupid amounts of gain is probably the effects loop. I can put my POD XT Live through it without it sounding like shit. I wish it came with a footswitch, but I bought it off the floor so w/e. If it got stolen, I'd cry for a very long time b/c I couldn't get another one for a long time. Good, hard-rockin amp dude. // 10

6505 Head Reviewed by: party_on_wayne, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: music go round

Features: The Peavey 6505+ head is a two channel, all tube amplifier (6 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 4 6L6GC power tubes). The 'rhythm' channel is a more classic rock styled channel, and I have been able to coax such tones as The Sword, Boston, and of course, Van Halen. The rythm cahnnel also features a 'bright' Switch which is a 2Db boost for the higher frequencies (5 kHz+ I believe). The 'lead' channel is the darker version of the rythm channel. The lead channel does not have the bright Switch. The lead channel has the capabilities to achieve the holy grail of tone from Whoracle by In Flames (IMO). The amp also has an effect s loop which I run an MXR 10 band eq through for the extra mid scooping, and darkening tone I love. Each channel has seperate resonance (bass boost), presence (treble boost), and preamp & postamp gain, bass, mid, and treble eq's. Overall, the amp is really straightforward unlike a Marshall DSL or TSL that has all sorts of buttons and knobs. No master volume, but I found that the preamp gain works well as the 'distortion' level and postamp gain works as 'volume' however, you can experiment with different levels as you like, but be careful becuase 120W tube power can honestly kill small children and animals. Two speaker outs in the back, really nioce bias adjust Switch for retubing, and a non detachable power cord with a place to wind it built into the head (really good for gigging) round out the back pannel. // 10

Sound: I play through an Ibanez S470 with an SD Dimebucker in the bridge. I play Death, Thrash, Grindcore, and Speed metal. I cannot ask for a better amp for those styles. This vey affordable amp blows expensive Diezel's Engl's and Genz Benz's out of the water for sheer tone. I was upgrading from a Marshall AVT150HX and my mission was not just a nice amp, but the amp with the tone I wanted, and this amp had it. As I stated earlier, I run an MXR 10 band eq through the effects loop. The MXR really tightens up the tone, and really darkens it up, which I love. This amp is also really good for classic rock tones (exact same amp as the 5150, EVH only owns the number, not the wiring) so if you are looking for a classic tone, try this out, but also check out other amps! Don't limit yourself. Anyways, this is the go to amp for death metal, at least in my opinion. DIstortion is as much as you need, GOOD clean settings are terrible with out an eq pedal. Once again, this is a death metal amplifier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I really don't forsee this amp breaking down, I've had for about a month, but for some reason if it does, a 2 year warranty is nice. however, Marshall does have a 5 year warranty, but I will be taking good care of it. There really is not much else to comment on here, because I haven't taken it on the road, or had for years. I can see the tolex tearing, but a tiny tolex tear won't make me cry. Retube every year or so though. // 10

Overall Impression: Death metal is what I play, the Peavey 6505+ is what I play through, pure undefiled tone is what I have. I am not disappointed at all, and I could not ask for more from an amp. If stolen, I would be going to jail for homicide. When I was amp searching, I wasn't looking for knobs, versatility, effects or anything. I wanted pure death metal tone, and this is the amp. If you want crazy built-in effects, 11 channels, or a Pink amp, look somwhere else. // 10

6505 Head Reviewed by: Dores, on january 08, 2008

Features: 120 Watts of raw tube power. This amp has two channels, Rhythm and Lead. Two inputs too, low gain and high gain. It is not the most versatile amp out there on the market, but for metal and classic rock it's a beast. There are no effects like delay, reverb or chorus on this head. It has an effect loop, switchable with the two-knob footswitch which is usually included. As mentioned, this head features 120 watts, which is more than you will ever need. I'm seriously afraid I will break the windows in my room and demolish my neighbourhood if I crank it to the edge at home. What I miss here is a built-in reverb, which would be nice. Also, as the 6505+ has, a seperate EQ for the rhythm channel. // 8

Sound: I'm using my three Ibanezes on this amp. Ibanez RG-321Mh, Ibanez RG-370DX and an Ibanez SA-220FM. What I kind of noticed when upgrading to this amp from my lousy Roland Cube, was that the pickups really matter. Each guitar really stands out on this one. I'm using a Marshall 1922 2x12 Cabinet with Celestions, which sounds absolutely orgasmic. It suits my style of music perfectly. I play lots of metal in the veins of Carcass, Arch Enemy, Slayer, In Flames and so on. Considering the fact that all of those mentioned bands still use or have used this head, it'd needless to say that my tone is almost as good as theirs. But kids, don't forget that part of the tone is in your fingers too. The noise is kind of a bugger. Even at low practise volumes, it has a bit of noise. It's easily killed with a noise reducer though, but at the cost of some tone and lots of money. The noise is not heard when you are playing, so it isn't really messing anything up. The noise increases as the gain increases. The clean channel, if using the high gain input, as you would if you want to switch between cleans and brutal distortion, distorts quite easily. But beware, this is still at very loud volumes which you will mostly never use. Anyways, do not buy this amp for the cleans. The distortion is the reason I bought this baby. The lead channel's gain never needs to go past 5 with hight-output pickups. So it has more gain than you'll ever need. It cuts through the mix like a mad dude with a chainsaw. When playing along to songs, I find myself cranking my speakers in order to keep up with my Peavey. Even at low volumes, it is always heard. It has a lot of mids, which is guess is most of the reason why it cuts through so well. Personally I crank the mids on it too. Even though the amp is really cheap when compared to Diezel, Framus and so on, there is a reason why so many metal bands use this. The sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is built like tank, and I'm sure I could throw it down the stairs and it would still work. It weighs quite a lot. I have gigged with this amp without a backup, simply because I could never afford a backup. I trust this amp with my life, I have never heard of anyone having sudden troubles with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, this amp does metal for a living. I could not be happier. The only downside is that I now have to get new pickups for two of my guitars, because they don't really have enough output, which really stands out on this amp. My RG-321Mh with and EMG81 in the bridge sounds totally awesome. I have been playing for two years, and I own my three Ibanezes, The 6505, and a Roland Micro-cube. If this amp was stolen, I would not sleep at night before I had found the guy Who stole it. I would glue his head to the cabinet and crank it. If it was lost, I would get a new one, there is no doubt. What I absolutely love about this amp is the extreme distortion, and how it performes at moderate distortion too. If you know how to use the lead gain, it never gets muddy with the right guitar and pickups. What I hate about this amp is that it has way too much power, so I'll probably never get to crank it at a gig, unless it's a stadium or something. I don't hate it, but it bothers me at times, as the niceness of the sound increases with the volume. I chose this amp over any other tube amp I've tried because it has a very dark voicing and very clear distortion. I did not want to use a boost pedal. The Engl Fireball and Powerball are good competitors to this amp, but I just simply liked the 6505 better. It's all about personal preference. This is my dream amp. // 9

6505 Head Reviewed by: osiris-uk, on march 25, 2008

Features: Musically I'm into everything but I usually play Metal to Jazz on this head. As far as its features, it's got 2 channels (rhythm, lead) with the pre-gain controls used as the gain and the Post controls used as the volumes for each channel. This head is used for practice and band situations and has plenty of power and the only complaint I have with it is the sharing of the EQ for both channels. Although the settings I have for both channels isn't bad it would just be nice to have another set of EQs for my clean sounds. // 9

Sound: This amp can do light crunch sounds to plenty of gain saturated sounds and if you experiment with the rhythm gain (I use this channel for clean sounds) you can get a nice clean sound out of it. I have my Rhythm gain set on 3 or 4 and it doesn't break up much at high volumes. So if you want some more break up just turn up the gain a bit. The lead gain is great. It's one of those controls that is usefull all around. When I play heavy stuff I have the gain at 4 or 5 and that's plenty for me. You guys setting this thing at 10 must have a horrible sound. I don't think anyone should even need to go past 7 or 8, that's when the mud could come into play. If you want an amp with an incredible amount of crunch and gain this is for you. The amp bites so it's not so useful for really scooped overdrive but I never liked that type of distortion anyways. Most the time I play through a Gibson Les Paul Studio with the stock custom shop pickups and I love the sound. I also play my Dean HardTail with EMG 81 and 85's through it. Obviously if you stand next to the amp it's gonna hiss but as long as you don't have the gain at 10(which you should never need) it's not to much noise. Plugging strait into the amp with no effects when I first got it there wasn't a lot of noise at all but my live set up I have 4 effects and my DigiTech DigiDelay gives the amp all the noise. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems built really good but I have a head cases on its way right now regardless of how it's built because I don't want to take any precautions with the tubes getting broke or cracked. Since it's a tube amp I gig with Randall solid state for backup but so far it has never messed up on me. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now and I would certainly buy another head if it were stolen or lost. My buddy has a Marshall DSL50 which I like but I still like my Peavey. I chose this amp because they go cheap on Ebay and I wanted a tube head. // 9

6505 Head Reviewed by: Triumph2002, on august 19, 2008

Purchased from: Paragon Music

Features: I recently updated from a Transtube to the 6505+, if you looking for a dark bone crushing tone this is the amp. 6 12AX7 JJ ECC83s tubes on the pre amp, 4 6L6gc power tubes they were not marked so I will asume they are JJ's. Two channel with set up has Rythm: clean/crunch and Lead with individual presence and resonance controls for each channel. As far as power, there is plenty of loud. I would like a tube or spring reverb built in, does not need it but some stuff I play the effect would be nice. // 10

Sound: I use a variety of guitars and mostly Seymour Duncan pickups, my worst sounding guitar a Jackson RR3 with a SD Dimebucker on the bridge actully sound good with this amp. I play Blues, jazz, grind/death/power/prog metal so this amp is perfect but the clean channel is a little dirty, that is fine with me cause the tone is so rich and roomy that a little dirt does not bother me one bit. The lead channel is a WMD, I set the pre gain to seven and it is dead on for me, I play in two bands one is extreme gring/death metal and the amp is perfect, my other band a prog/power/metal this amp is again perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My brother has a 5150, he bought it Brand New in 1996. It was re-tubed once in 12 years, he play in 2 band also and gets out 2 or 3 times a month to play live. He has never had a problems with his, I think 6505+ will have the same reliability of his younger brother. ha ha my brother is younger that I. // 10

Overall Impression: I mentioned that I play from jazz to extreme metal, this amp has proven to be a perfect match for what I have thrown at it. I have had the amp 3 weeks and I played every guitar I own through it and all sounded kick a$$. All my amps are Peavey, s I own Classic 30, Transtube Supreme, TNT 115 and now the 6505+ Head, I run the 6505+ through a 5150 4x12 Slant and an Ampeg 4x12 Straight cab. I must be onest I did not try anything else, my experience with Peavey products now goes back 15 years and I have never had a problem. By the way all my Peavey amps are made in USA. // 10

6505 Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2011

Price paid: A$ 2000

Features: The amp was made in 2010. I play in a Post-Hardcore Band so I find this head perfect for finding the tonal range that I'm looking for, I have found myself using anything from a 'Of Mice and Men' sound to a 'Bmth-Suicide Season' sound. The amp has two channels, rhythm (with clean and crunch) and then the Lead channel. There is nothing I could want more on this amp, it is built perfectly for me, the only thing I don't use is the effects loop as I run a noise suppressor then straight into my wireless out of the input. I only use this amp in band practice and on stage as it isnt a very good bedroom practice amp, with that I say do not buy this amp unless you are in a band. This amp has plently of power, I Jam and play shows with it's master volume at 3. Enough said. // 8

Sound: I use Ibanez RGT6EXFX with this amp and nothing else. This guitar has a set of active EMG 81 and 85 pickups and these could only be bettered by bareknuckle pickups. That is it. I found this amp to be quite noisey so I use a Boss Ns2 noise suppressor and all is fine :) this amp has so much tonal range, I couldnt ask for more. I have found settings from 'Bmth - count your blessings' to 'Acacia Strain - Continet'. I don't use the clean channel at all because all the clean parts in my bands songs are run off a sample pad, I've had no issues with the clean nevertheless. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this amp 100% because I sold my 100watt Marshall solid state after buying this because this amp is 1000x better in everyway. The only issue I ever had with this amp is that one of the pre amp valves came loose in its socket one day but all I had to do was simply twist it back in. I've had this amp for almost 6 months and thats the only problem I've ever had. // 7

Overall Impression: I play post Hardcore and Metalcore styles, my band is heavily based on electronic influences as well as modern post hardcore styles and I've found this amp to work to the best I've ever heard when mic'd up on stage and being used along with samples and all our other instruments. I use this amp with a Marshall Mg412a quad simply because this quad cost me $500 brand new and I think they sound better then all Marshall 1960 Lead quads. Plus they are lighter and smaller. I brought this amp soley off relying on its reputation. I played this amp in a music store, perhaps, once, two years before I brought it and this amp really pulled through on everything I hoped for. If it was stolen or lost I'd prolly claim in on insurence but of course I'd get another one. The thing I love about this amp the most is how it can back me up so heavily on stage and once I have my settings found its perfect, a few things I hate about this amp is that finding the perfect tone can be very very difficult and can take hours and hours to perfect.I also hate the fact that this amp is extremely deliquite but this makes me look after it more then any amp I've previously owned. I once borrowed a friends Peavey Jsx head and I don't care what anybody says, this amp shits all over it. // 8

6505 Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2011

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: To anyone who hasn't played around with one, the features are relatively simple, which is kind of nice in a way. It makes it very easy to dial in a decent metal tone very quickly. There's a rhythm channel with a Pre-Gain knob and it's own Post-Gain knob a bright Switch and also a crunch Switch and then a Lead channel with 3-band EQ and master dampening controls, Resonance and Presence. The dampening controls add so much dimension to the sound aside from just the 3 band EQ and the Post and Pre Gain knobs also give a lot of play in the amount of distortion which is nice, because it gives a lot of diversity control. I can dial anything from a smooth wailing blues tone to a completely crushing metal tone even before using any pedals. The obvious complaint here is the 6505 doesn't have separate EQ's for each channel, but then again I didn't think it was too important which is why I didn't go for the 6505+. // 9

Sound: I've heard a lot about this amp being very noisy, which I have sort of mixed emotions on. The rig IS loud and produces quite a bit of hiss, but I don't have any trouble with feedback even at gigging levels, so you can definitely deal or buy an ISP decimator and things are crystal clear. This head puts out insane amounts of distortion without getting all fizzy or losing bottom end. The 6505 is built perfect for any type of metal, but it's also good for a lot of other genres. I've also heard a lot of harsh comments about the clean channel on this amp that I don't think are too fair and I've heard a lot of people try to justify it by simply saying that they bought it for the lead channel metal brutality or whatever, which I think is kind of a cop-out. Here's what I think...If you're enough of a tone snob like I am, you're probably gonna want a couple pedals like EQ and a TS9 in the loop to give you the extra headroom. I don't think there's an amp out there with every feature for every application out there straight out of the box, but there are some that will get you very close. Also to the ones complaining about the cleans lacking...if you're playing with EMG's, that's probably why. Make sure that you're also playing with a quality cabinet, a low end cab can really suck the life out of a nice guitar head. This amp pairs extremely well with Mesa's and most cabs with legitimate V30's. Not the new ones. And avoid buying the matching cab. Not the best. Probably the Sheffield speakers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think the 6505 is pretty good looking. It isn't very flashy or anything, but it is very clean looking and the tolex covering came perfect on mine. Not a bubble in sight. I trust that I can absolutely depend on this amp. I have only owned the 6505 for a few months now with no trouble and I understand this should no difficult feat. BUT I have owned a 5150 for 8 years now and it has held up perfectly through the years with minimal maintenance like tubes and cleaning. No major anything yet. Fingers crossed that the 6505 IS the same beast. I personally have it in a road case also, but I wouldn't worry about it too much outside of one. I won't worry about it failing at a gig, but as a touring musician, I never go without a back-up head, fuses, and back up tubes. Want to never have to worry about stressing over failed equipment? Take care of those surprises by having everything taken care of. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for nearly 10 years and have owned a few different tube amps and played several. This amp is perfect for any style of metal or any really heavy genre. It's also great for blues, or just about anything with very little compensation. Very easy to dial in good tones with this amp. I would definitely kill the person who tried to steal this and I'd absolutely buy another. I think the 6505 definitely stands with some of the other high end boutiques, most of which are at least close to double the price. BUY it and get a couple of pedals like a TS-9 and a GE7 if you want to be able to dial in a perfect sound for whatever your doing. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014