Bandit 112 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 10/01/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Bandit 112
There are many versions of this amp around all tweaked slightly than the other as Peavey has been making bandits since the 90's. The one I'm reviewing is the lastest model released in 2008 I believe.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 8.6
 9.5
 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Bandit 112 Reviewed by: TheFamousCow, on october 28, 2011

Features: Before I start this I would like to point out that there are many versions of this amp around all tweaked slightly than the other as Peavey has been making Bandits since the 90's. The one I'm reviewing is the lastest model released in 2008 I believe. I bought mine in June 2010 for about 200 if I remember correctly. It has all the features you could want. I'm going to list these features if you don't already know as there is a few of them. . 2 channels (Clean + Lead [distorted]) each with 3 different voicings (Clean: Vintage, Classic and warm) (Lead: Classic, Modern, High Gain) also each channel has its own volume and EQ governing them. . Global digital reverb which is a crucial feature for me as I can't bare a dry tone and also a boost knob. . High and low gain inputs, useful mainly for players who use active pick ups who want to control the there output. . Footswitch (sold separately) once again a nice feature for performance and pratice. The footswitch basically allows you to switch channels and activate the boost worth putting forward the 20.00 for IMO. . Effects loop, I only use a delay and chorus pedal so I prefer to put them straight forward as the effects loop thems to flatten the tone. . Power selection, a brand new feature for the bandit's allowing you to use an optional 25, 50 or 100 watts of power which is allows players to use this amp quietly for practice or loud for gigging. . Damping switch, you can choose from loose, medium and tight. I think this basically makes the tone more controlled as when you switch it to tights from loose it reduces the gain a bit and opens upn the low end more. I always keep mine on loose as it makes the tone more responsive and bigger sounding. . Direct output: an output that can be used when connecting the bandit to an interface or a mixer etc I tried hooking this up to my computer via this output but didn't barely get any results so I'm guessing you need other equipment to use this for recording. . External speaker out: This allows players to connect the bandit to a speaker cabinet. I've had no experience with this but it says "Minimum external speaker impedance 8 ohms" in the manual if that means anything to anyone. . 12 inch blue marvel speaker. . Finally the main feature this amp has is in its circuit. It has Peavey's "Transtube technology" which basically emulates tube tone and fee. Overall the Bandit has enough features to cover me and suites all styles. The only thing it could have is a head phone jack for silent practice at night but I am very impressed with what's on offer here so I will give it a 9/10. // 9

Sound: I have two guitars an Epiphone SG Special and Ibanez. I will be using the SG for the clean and classic distortion and the Ibanez for then modern and high gain modes. Vintage: This is obviously mimicking a Fender amp here. Every note played is bright and crisp. I would highly recommend using humbuckers rather then single coils so the tone is to thin and trebly. Using the neck pick up you get a real rich balanced tone, sounding warm and deep yet maintaining its signature snap making the notes sounding full and lively. Perfect for some clean blues licks and melodies. Overall a real good clean channel that's perfect for blues, country and 50-60's pop/rock. Classic: This is quite the departure from what you was hearing on the Vintage mode. The crispiness has gone down and we get a more darker, warmer and dryer sounding tone good for strumming chord patterns with. I think this is great for when your switching between distorted and clean in rock and metal style songs as your going from a dark dry clean tone to a heavy in your face distorted sound. Its hard to explain but overall I think this is a great usable clean sound Warm: I never use this mode at all as its seems that everything's seems to harsh on this one all the notes you play sound to sharp to me I also personally think the classic sounds warmer then this channel. I think they was trying to get a sort of Vox tone here. I think this would be great for 60's and 70's music. Overall I'm not a fan as its sounds harsh as you crank up the volume here. Classic: First up in the array of distorted tone classic sounds as if its giving you those old rock and hard rock tones you'd expect from a Marshall Plexi or JCM. With the gain on half way you get a decent Led Zeppelin tone whilst winding it up to 3/4 gives you a real good AC/DC. Then on full gain you get a surprisingly good pop-punk tone (Blink-182, Green Day etc). Overall a great sounding distortion for classic rock and even some punk bands. Modern: Like I said now I'm switching to my Ibanez as it fits the metal storm that's about to come. This mode is nothing like classic. Its scooped and has a ton of gain resembling the brutal tones of some metalcore MySpace band that just came out yesterday. Turning the mids up and it still sounds extremely scooped but gives of more of a sound similar to Pantera. Once again a excellent distortion that sounds as brutal as hell. High Gain: This sounds alot like the classic except they just supercharged the gain and increased the low end considerably. I use this distortion the must as it suites my playing. This mode definitely resembles bands such as System Of A Down, Papa Roach and Whitechapel as the power chords ring out strong and the palm mutes are as brutal as ever. Great sound! Overall a very versatile amp that ranges from country cleans to brutal modern day distortion great for all players not exactly ace but for the price its in a class of its own. The reverb also sounds great and realistic and the amp isn't really noisey at all and also note that this amp is tremendously loud, it shakes everything about when the volume on the lead channel is at 4! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built like a tank its rugged and tough and feels as if its built to last. I've never had a problem with it and I probably never will by the looks of it. I don't gig but I'm sure this amp would work fine in any situation without any back up. So I can safely give the Bandit a ten out of ten on this field. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost 4 years now, I've been through many amps but I've owned this one for the longest and haven't even fought about getting a new amp. If it was broken or lost I would buy again for sure. Everything I want this amp has besides the head phone input. I love the tone and feel it has with it and that its got plenty of sounds and isn't even digital. My friend owns a Peavey Vypyr 30 and he was playing my Ibanez though this amp and said that he prefers this amp as it you can really feel the tone coming out of it unlike on the Vypyr. I thinks that's down to the transtube technology Peavey have incoperated on this amp. If anyone who is looking for a new amp and on a budget I highly recommend you consider this before putting your money forward. // 9

Bandit 112 Reviewed by: stevescot69, on july 24, 2012

Purchased from: P.M.T. Norwich

Features: The amp has 3 clean sounds and 3 distortion sound so you can select which clean and driven sound best suits your needs. I gig with a drummer who uses one of the biggest drum kits in the county and it cuts through the mix easily. Plus the limiter on the back allows my to play small rooms and still get the same emulated drive. // 9

Sound: The amp has its own unique sound. Great when most people are using Marshalls and have that squelched tone. This stands out from the pack and cuts through. I play everything from Jazz, Blues, Pop, rock n roll to heavy rock in some of the biggest venues in the county and this amp has a sound for everything. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp for several years now and never had a single problem with it. I have worked along side with guitarists who use valve amps and they seem to have a problem getting their sound without deafening everyone in the front row and keeping their amps running through a busy gigging season. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm glad of the valve snobbery out there because I get more work as I can play to venue volume and be reliable on stage. Plus my sound stands out from the crowd. I have had several valve amps in the past and none survived the season or sounded good when the song needed me to turn down. // 10

Bandit 112 Reviewed by: colinthelips, on october 01, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: The Sound Factory

Features: This is a great amp and you can play any style of music on it, you can get a lot of different sounds with it. It has 2 main channels, Clean and Lead. On the Clean channel there are two presets Vintage and Modern. The Vintage setting is great for country or old time clean sounds and the modern has more bass and is a warmer sound where as the Vintage is thin and trebely. On the lead channel there is 3 preset types of lead, Vintage, Modern and High Gain. Again the Vintage setting is great for your classic rock or even more modern types of distortion its great for Thin Lizzy stuff and the likes, the modern setting is very heavy, only really suitable for heavy rock or metal like Metallica, the high gain setting is much the same just with extra gain and would suit stuff like power anthems. This amp has two inputs, High gain and Low gain. The master section has, Reverb, Presence, Resonance and T. Dynamic controls. The T. Dynamics control is really what defines this amp, it stands for 'Tube Dynamics' and when set to '0%' you have just your ordinary amp sound which isn't great and it doesn't have the rich tones of a tube amp, but when you roll the switch to '100%' it would be hard to tell the difference between this amp and a real tube amp, I have played an american Fender strat through this before and it sounds unreal. Both channels have 3 band eq's. // 10

Sound: This amp covers every type of playing style, it has 2 types of clean and 3 types of distortion so you can get any amount of sounds out of it. It's a brilliant sounding amp sounds just like a tube amp and behaves the same way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Extremely reliable amp, this is the only amp I have ever bought and I don't plan on changing it any time soon its a great amp for gigging and you can get some serious volume out of it if your playing the rock kinda stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is just brilliant I would recommend it to anyone for any type of music its a very versatile amp and it sounds amazing and you can get it to sound exactly they way you want to easily. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014