Blazer 158 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 08/19/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Blazer 158
TransTube Blazer 158 is perfect for practice. Hear for yourself. TransTube does make a difference.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Features: 8.2
 8.4
 8.3
 8.4
reviews (5) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Blazer 158 Reviewed by: Nemesis_brood, on july 21, 2006

Features: This is one of the best practice amps you can get as far as I'm concerned. 2 channels of clean and distortion with pre gain and post gain, a CD input, 3 band equalizer with vintege and modern Switch, and reverb. No effects but if your a beginer then it don't matter. Plenty of power for playing for your friends and practicing. I play punk rock/alternative/and '70s style rock. Let's see how the sound is shall we? // 8

Sound: I am playing on a Ibanez JS100 with a ultra distortion bridge pickup (don't know the manufacture). This amp is very good for punk rock songs, Not to much distortion that it sounds like metal crap but enough to give it a solid sound. The Vintage setting I think is the best because when you turn it to modern it sounds like someone put a heavy blanket in front of the speaker. Very nice clean setting. This thing puts out to much bass unless you turn the low down then it sounds whimmpy. Also the reverb gives a very nice echo effect and the sound gets muddy when turned up over 7. Very loud for a small room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, this thing wasn't made for gigs. You could mabey use it in a small room gig or somthing with it turned all the way up but I wouldn't suggest it. I am sure I will have this amp for a long time as well. Haven't had any trouble with it so far. // 10

Overall Impression: All-in-all this is a good practice amp! Plenty of distortion for punk rock, good clean setting for alternative, and a nice Vintage mode for older rock. This amp is pretty much the same as the Rage 158 but with no effects and cheaper. If it were lost or stolen I would be sad but buy another one. I can't recommend this amp to metal fans but if you like less distortion than metal, don't settle for anything less! Definatly a good buy. // 9

Blazer 158 Reviewed by: Mushroom123, on may 21, 2008

Purchased from: Used

Features: I think this is an older Peavey Blazer 158 because it's not as aesthetically redesigned like the ones I seen in stores. Clean channel, distortion channel with pre and post gain, 3 band EQ- low mid treble, and reverb. 1 input jack and headphone jack. Pretty standard for a practice amp. // 8

Sound: I've used this amp with a RG321mh and a Squier Strat, it sounds pretty good depending on what you play. As for what sounds good on this amp? Clean sounds pretty good, light distortion sounds good (zepplin or classic rock), as you turn the distortion up you can get a bit heavier distortion while still sounding good... reverb sounds good you can get that jazzy tone from this amp. what's bad? not too good if you practicing metal, it seems to struggle with getting that very heavy distortion. The clean stays clean no matter how loud you turn it and it can go pretty damn loud. Distortion does get a bit hummy at loud volumes, but it's not a perfect amp it's just for practice. I only play in my room so I don't know how else this amp performs in other environments. Not the best sounding amp ofcourse it's just for practice, not performing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very dependable and sturdy. I would recommend it for the traveling man, but definately not for gigging. Atleast not if your serious. This amp never broke down on me or had any problems, it's pretty portable and small. Reliable and durable but not gig worthy. // 8

Overall Impression: I've used this amp for a year now in my room and it's been satisfactory I'd say, it's a good quality practicing amp, but leaves a little to be desired if your venturing into metal or something with hard distortion like punk or something. The only bad part about this amp is that, it can't practice heavy metal too well because the distortion lacks. But other wise a great practicing amp. // 8

Blazer 158 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2008

Purchased from: Ecko music

Features: I bought this amp six years ago, when I got most of my first gear. It features clean and distortion, with a little knob for reverb, which I never use; as well as a headphone jack. I personally never use the distortion since I always use pedals. Now I'm using a DS-1 and a Small Clone. It's been pretty useful for rehearsals and practice. It's quite loud in a room and aside from a few tone issues it's worked for me. // 7

Sound: I am playing it now with a strat with the original pickups, I mostly play alternative like Radiohead and Nirvana, and since I use it only for rehearsal and practice it does get noisy with the distortion, which I wouldn't recommend; the clean sound is in a lack of a better word. Superb, no matter the settings it gets a clean sound, granted you have a good guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is not for a gig, I mean, the size says it all! This amp actually tends to overheat and get a weird tone, but if you let it rest a bit, it will work nicely. However that can be annoying in the middle of practice. // 6

Overall Impression: I love the clean sound, no doubt about it, I've been playing for 6 years and I've used it with a Samick with a Zoom 606 and my current Boss-EH pedals with a Strat. My only gripe with this amp is the overheating, which has let me down before. I will definitely change it over time, but right now is my main amp, and since it's clean sound is pretty cool, I can Live with the flaws. // 7

Blazer 158 Reviewed by: Meowordie, on november 13, 2008

Purchased from: yard sale

Features: I got this amp when I started playing, bought it at a yard sale for 15.00. This amp is quite versatile, it has a nice clean tone, and also sounds great with the reverb. There are two channels a clean and Gain channel but on mine the gain really didn't work from what I found but, with the newer ones it's better. this amp has pretty much all you need for beginners. I use this amp all the time when I'm just jammin out in my room before bed. it's a 15 watt amp and is pretty loud. it's a transtube and it sounds just like a tube amp with out the hassle. // 10

Sound: I use 3 single coil pick-ups, I play a variety of music, like classic rock, blues, rock, modern rock, and whatnot and that amp did just fine with all of them. it dosnt have that much feedback when you turn it on it's very nice. it makes a nice led zeppelin tone I like to use it for the ocean with a little dist. the distortion on the amp is mostly just a volume boost, I couldn't seem to figure out how to make it work on mine so I used my dist. pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's quite durable, it has lasted a while from what I know and nothing wrong with it yet. It dosnt take tubes so don't have to worry about that. Also I turned it up all the way when I first started playing and it was pretty good that loud and the speaker hasn't had any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the style of music I play and is a great practice amp but I just use it as a practice amp because I have a 120 watt amp so that's why I don't do anything else with it but I like it's tone better than my 120 watt Behringer vampire. so I hope this helps you out with your view on this amp. // 9

Blazer 158 Reviewed by: jcodib, on august 19, 2011

Purchased from: friend

Features: I don't know the year the amp was made, but I've had it for awhile. I play metal. Honestly not the best amp. But if you turn the nobs just right and wire a speaker through the back of the amp. It can get some amazing distortion. It has two channels. Clean and lead. Also it has modern and vintage. I would say the Vintage while on lead. With the reverb up just three notches is the best I've ever had that amp. It has equilization to it, bass, mid, and high. And CD input and Headphone input. I use a Peavey Tracer for this amp. And with the settings on the amp I have to turn the guitar all the way up, but for the sake of not getting in trouble I have to keep the post gain on one. And the pre gain all they way up to get the best distortion. I use it in a small room and its hardly turned up and it can blast people out. I say this amp has the right volume and comes close to metal for what I've done to it. But its not the best. // 8

Sound: I use all the pick ups on my guitar, it gives it a nice choppy sound and makes the strings less whinny. It comes close to metal that I like. It isnt metallica but it sure is seether. It makes me happy, and I love it. But if I could find about better settings than it got I'm sure I would change them to that. Depending on the settings on the amp it can be loud. I can turn it up to loud, but if you want just the right distortion put the pre gain all the way up, and post gain as much as you want. The post gain then turns into the volume and makes the pregain the distortion level. This amp can make clear notes. If you put it on the wrong settings it can be really whinny or really booming. No matter how high I have the clean level it is not distorted. I only use the clean for soft playing because I like playing when people are alseep but it can get loud. The distortion is alot like seether. If you like them and want a band like them then your set for practice. I haven't yet took it outside and tried it but I don't think its a gig guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. If I didn't have another amp for a gig. I would use it. But probly wouldn't depend on it only. Its really dependable for a practice amp. If you want to p-ss off your neighbors. And make them rock out with you this is good amp to use. But for gigs I don't think its for that. This amp hasn't messed up on me yet. It will give feed back if the amp is to loud and your to close, but if you stand a good few feet with it blasting you should be good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall Metallica its a no but Seether or Crossfade. Your good. I've been playing for a year. And I love it. The brands I chose to go with for the Peavey amp and guitar would be Fender strings and Planet Waves strap lock and guitar cord. If this amp was stolen I would be really sad. But probly buy the same thing. I love the distortion and the volume of the amp. What I hate is the if too loud and too close the amp will feedback. The thing I love the most about this amp is how tough it is. And the distortion. It was made to last. The only amps that I used has been Line 6 and my Peavey overall Line 6 better why to go. But Peavey if you wanna practice, and have a amp to last. Wish I had a Line 6 but I would not trade my Peavey for anything. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014