Bravo 112 Review

9.2
reviews (3) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Bravo 112 Reviewed by: zwenny, on may 03, 2008

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: I don't know what year the Bravo was made in, but I suppose that it was produced from the late '80s to the early '90s, because it consists of old and newer components. It's a full tube amp, but it has also ICs and a Transistor (used for Spring Reverb). The Peavey Bravo is a little miracle of sound. You can make it sound like an old Marshall Tube Amp or like newer Transistor Amps. It has two Channels and an extreme sensitive equalizer for each channel. They can be switched by pressing "Channel" on the front or kicking "channel select" on the footswitch. There's a Switch for turning on/off the Reverb, too. On the back it has a simple Effect Loop (two jacks: send-return), but there's no headphone jack. Although I think this is the most versatile and cheapest brand quality guitar amplifier (made in usa! ), I wish it had another channel switching mechanism. Because the channels aren't switched directly, so you can't easily Switch for i.e. verse, chorus. So far I never used the output jack for a second speaker (4 ohm). At the moment I use it at home, but I've played with it on a little open air concert, so it's powerful enough for getting deaf at home. // 8

Sound: I use the Bravo with my Stratocaster and my Les Paul with every pickup variation. I've learned that it transmit the bright brilliance of a Strat as well as the muffled sound of a Les Paul. Some say that the clean channel would sound a little muffled, but there's a Switch called "bright", what solvesd this problem. I like classic rock (for example: Wishbone Ash) but blues and alternative (Walter Trout, Staind) as well, so this amp is a good choice for me. As a Tube amp it is normal that it makes noise, but this is so minimal, that you can get used to it. The Peavey Bravo is very versatile in sound, because of its extreme sensitive equalizer the excelent spring reverb and the push and pull poti for more distortion. With this you can create heavey distortion sounds, but soft overdrive sound as well. I've never tested it but I suppose, that the clean sound will be distorted at high volumes, as it happens with almost every tube amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp never let me down, but as my father says: "it's a tube amp, there's life in it, so you have to care for it." That means that you have to change tubes, check other electronical parts and stroke him before you go to bed. The last concert I hadn't have a backup and I think as long as I care for my little Peavey, there will be no need for it. // 9

Overall Impression: I really like the awesome spring reverb. It's not as good as those ones of the Fender amps, but I like this special sound. And I love the wide range of sounds you can create with it, because it sets me free in writing songs and adjust a special sound to them. Although I don't really believe in god, I would pray to him that he get me a new one, if it would be stolen or lost. // 9

Bravo 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2011

Features: Fan-cooled tubes in a faraday cage. Active EQ on channel 2. Effects loop. This ain't no blues jr. Clone, this is a nice amp. Jazzy cleans to 80's metal. This is a feature rich amp for its style. It has the potential for boutique sounds, yet you can pick them up for $200-$300, and sometimes even less since the tubes aren't visible. // 10

Sound: I don't like the speaker, and the chinese tubes are not the best. So the out of the box sound is a bit flat to my ear. I mean, it's a nice tube sound, but it's not a classic tube sound. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Are you kidding me? One of the reason peaveys are cheap is that every one ever made seems to still be going strong. // 10

Overall Impression: What a sleeper amp! I almost don't want to write a review on it, since I know it's going to prevent me from getting some great garage sale deal in the future, but if you are a tone snob and not a label lemming, you should certainly be keeping an eye out for this ugly little amp with the beautiful voice. // 9

Bravo 112 Reviewed by: Mert432, on november 22, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: It has an extension jack on the back for plugging in another cab, I personally use this for a Peavey Classic 410E cab, which compliments this amp very well I think. The EL84 power tubes are great for warmth and smooth breakup. There are 2 EL84 and 3 12AX7 tubes total, they are hidden and encased in the back. There is a fan that pulls air across them to keep things cool. There is no stand by switch on this amp, but it isn't really needed anyway... Actually I kind of like this because the looks of the amp throws people. You can dial this amp in to get most of the sounds that you seek. // 9

Sound: This amp really shines on sound quality. I use a Gibson Les Paul on the over Drive channel and a Fender Strat on the clean channel, that's just my personal preference, although I do love the clean channel with the neck pickup on the Les Paul as well. I have been playing for 30 years and this amp is one of many tube amps that I own, so I think I have a pretty good feel of what good sounding amps should be. I wish I could find this amp as new, but happy enough to as it is though. These amps are several years old and could (just like any older amp) benefit from a cap job. I'm planning on doing that very soon. The clean channel impressed me, and is actually my favorite amp for lower volumes, and I do mean BLUES CITY here. The dirty channel DIRT DIRT DIRTY as you want to get, pull the Pre knob and get even dirtier, and all at volumes that I enjoy when I don't want to crank out my Marshall. I like it so much that I've been looking for a deal on another one just for backup. I honestly think that these Peavey Bravo amps only increase in value, so if you find a deal on one you better just jump on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Who couldn't give ANY Peavey product a 10 on reliability... They take pride in their products and build them to last, they have one of the best reputations out there. I just wish Peavey would start manufacturing cars. Any search on the internet will contest over and over again on the quality and workmanship of their products. They can take all the abuse you throw at them and keep on going strong... They really are a great company... And most of their products are made in the USA as well. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the Peavey Bravo is a double thumbs up on this all American amp. It's a tube amp with all the warmth and tones that you can hope for if you're realistic about the power, I think that it is only 16 actual watts, (although it is rated at 25 watts) but that's what's COOL about it in my opinion. You find that "Sweet Spot" without splitting everyones ears. It's also a potential (so called) bedroom amp, if that's your thing. It's definitely worth snagging up if you run across one. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Envoy 110 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2014