Classic 30 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 05/20/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Classic 30
The Peavey Classic 30 was launched in the early '90s, and is a combination of design influences - from early Fender combos to modern high-gain amps. Features: 12" Blue Marvel speaker, 2 channel preamp. Controls: master volume, reverb level, 3-band passive EQ (treble, middle, bass).
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Features: 8.3
 8.7
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (12) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Classic 30 Reviewed by: Dookie_1988, on october 04, 2005

Features: My Classic 30 is an early model, it doesnt have the valve guard as standard. This amp has a nice and simple array of features. Master treble/mid/bass and reverb. It has pre and power amp gain knobs, and a normal channel volume. I love the master EQ, I find this exteamly usefull when switching channels, it saves so much faff. Even less if you buy the optional footswitch. The reverb is lovely and springy, may nt be long enough for hardcore 60s surf players, but it's long enough for most people. If you are a surfing Strat player, a new long spring tank is easy to install, and won't set you back too much. One thing I don't like is the boost switch, I've put it on once, and never used it again. I just can see the point of it, it adds way too much treble, and just makes the thing sound tinny. Another thing is the lack of a standby switch, this would be a very usefull mod, as on stage, there that annoying amount of time, which is too short to turn it off for, but you dont really feel like leaving it burning up for that amount of time. The next thing which brings it down to a 7, is the lack of a valve guard on this model, if you're buying a recent one, then this will be an 8 for features. I'm looking into buying a valve guard at the moment, as I find having to remove the valves every time I want to travel with it a bit tedious. // 7

Sound: At the moment, I'm using an Epi LP Gold Top with Swineshead pups (neck - Runaway, bridge - Warthog). I also use a black strat with scalloped frets. This really suit a classic rock players style, from Floyd to Straits, AC/DC to Led Zep, tweaking the knobs can bring all these tones out a lovely warm clean, I like this clean just as much as the Fenders. The Peavey has a much better crunch though. The only thing this doesnt suit, is heavy metal as the gain is nice and gentle, blusey if you will, but seeing as most metal players will have a few pedals, this can be of great use to the face melting, heavy riffers aswell. I have recently put a whole new set of JJ Telsa valves in, these suit the amp well, thsese or EH valves are best for the amp in my opinion. The amp is quite noisy, but only as noisy as any other all valve amp, so nothing of surprise here. I don't really like the Blue Marvel stock speaker in it, the amp really comes alive with a speaker change, I'm putting a Celestion Vintage 30 in it a the moment. I have cranked this a few times, and it really does sing. It starts to crunch up on the clean channel with the normal at 7 or so, depending on the valves, with higher gain valves, it will crunch at 5. Then past that, it just gets crazy, in a good way. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable amp, it's good for the players who need a workhorse of an amp. With the required TLC, it will last a life time, change the power valves (EL84) every year or so on average and it won't let you down. This thing is very heavy for its size, so your back doesn't really thank you when going up stairs, but there are just some sacrifices you have to make if you want a rugged amp with a valve guard, it makes the C30 even more durable. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, I feel this is the best 30w valve combo I have ever tried, and I've tried alot. Some may prefer the cleans on say the Fender Blues Junior, but I found the C30S just as silky and warm, with the right speaker and valves. As I say, I dont see the point of the boost switch, and a standby would be a much loved added extra, these are the only reasons why I can't give the amp top marks. If this were lost/stolen, and I had the same budget, I would defiantly get this amp again. This is my ultimate reccomendation for a 1x12 combo amp, It beats the Fender BJ, the Laneys and the Traynors in my opinion, plus it looks uber cool in all it's tweedy glory. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: Midnight Murk, on december 26, 2008

Purchased from: Used

Features: My Peavey Classic 30 is a black 2006 model. It is a great amp for what I play, which is classic rock, blues, and blues rock. It has two channels, and they can be controlled by a footswitch, which will have to be purchased separately; or by the button on the amp. There is an effects loop. The boost feature is quite useless, and in my experience it just makes it sound bad. The reverb is quite nice, in my opinion. I primarily use this as a bedroom amp, but it does have enough power for gigs. It is a tube amp that runs on three 12AX7s and four EL84s. My Classic 30 came with four Sovteks in the power section, while there were two JJs and one Sovtek in the preamp. It features a 12-inch Peavey Blue Marvel speaker. This amp has about all you need for classic styles of rock and blues. // 9

Sound: I primarily use this amp with my Gibson SG Standard. If you spend enough time with equalization settings, you can get a Vintage tone with about any pickup style, whether they are Vintage-oriented or modern-oriented. This amp suits my tastes just right. I do a lot of Led Zeppelin and Cream music, and this fits the ticket. Like most EL84-driven amps, there is a slight amount of noise, but that's not that big of a deal. Higher gain settins will also bring more noise. This amp has a very nice clean channel, and the dirty channel can bring you to areas of hard rock and possibly metal, depending on the pickups in your guitar, and if you are using any pedals or not. I don't run any pedals in my chain, and this thing can do what I consider to be a metal tone, but it's more of a classic metal tone. On the clean channel, the tubes start breaking up around halfway on the volume knob. Like most tube amps, it sounds better as the volume is turned up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is an amp I can depend on. I've had it well over a year, and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. I would feel quite comfortable gigging with this thing without a backup, though it is usually wise to bring one because there is a chance that the venue may have a faulty power supply. I can neglect this thing and nothing will go wrong. I haven't had to change tubes yet, but with this thing, all you have to do is pull the old ones out and put the new ones in -- no biasing required. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have mentioned, I play classic rock and blues. This amp is right on for those tones. I have been playing for over three years, and I also have a Gibson SG Standard, a Carvin Bolt, and an Aria acoustic guitar dating from 1977. If I somehow lost this amp, there is a chance that I would buy another, but I might also be looking to get a Marshall Bluesbreaker as a step up. I love the classic tone I get from this. The only thing I don't like is the boost feature. If you can buy one of these used, go for it, because they are very affordable. // 10

Classic 30 Reviewed by: jjclent, on may 20, 2013

Features: Everyone has different feature wants and needs, the most important for me were pristine cleans, EL84's for the beautiful breakup and versatility at different Drive levels (not gain levels), an effects loop, just because some effects don't sound right when put in front of the pre-amp. Foot switchable channels & reverb. I have played many amps in the 40+ years I have played guitar, EL34 amps, 6L6's, 12ax7 based voodoo valve, combo's and heads. This is the best amp for me AND at a price-point that can't be beat. Putting a Lonestar Special (Mesa) and the Peavey head to head, the Peavey came up as the winner for me. Why? The OD channel on the Peavey was so much more nuanced than the mesa. (That was my last evaluation). The only features this amp lacks: standby switch (version 2 seems to have one). Unused feature: Boost switch. Just don't like the sound. // 9

Sound: I play PRS & a custom made mahogany strat with the DiMarzio Area series pickups on it (Area 61, 67, and 58). I frequently use the volume & tone knobs on my guitar and switch my pickups (not just a bridge pickup). I also have one of the first (US made Fender Prodigy with the Steve Lukather EMG pickups in it). The output of these active puppies, alters the sound of the AMP enormously. I have played everything from classical to metal (not so much anymore) and wouldn't recommend this amp to a shredder. And these days do everything from Jazz to Rock. This amp does it all. It responds beautifully and exemplifies the different guitars, woods, and pickups, as well as the changes in knobs and pickup settings. I mostly gig with an Line 6 M13 in split (effects loop) mode, sending stage 1 & 2 of the M13 through the pre-amp, then having stage 3 & 4 inserted in the Peavey effects loop. It is truly a dream! The versatility of sounds has no end, and for me the best part is the fact that there is virtually no noise. I know a lot of (beginning) guitarists swear by a 100W amp (I used to when I was young), because a 30W is just not loud enough. (To get twice as loud from a 30W you need a 300W AMP guys, so realize that this is PLENTY LOUD). // 10

Reliability & Durability: If you give it TLC and regularly maintain your tubes, this AMP is ultra reliable. It is solid and strong. It can really bang around without issues. The only weakness (as with any "tweed" amp) is the cloth in front of the speaker, so I won't count that against it. It is heavy and very well made. One drawback is the handle. The leather is so stiff that it is hard to manipulate; which in itself is an advantage as well, because once you pull it up to carry, it will stay that way. All in all, a very well made product that can withstand life on the road. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, I play everything you can think of, and for me this is the ideal amp by far. I have played for over 40 years now, and tried them all. If it were stolen I would buy one again, immediately. It has everything I need and then some. Every day I am amazed at how easy it is to dial in TONE TONE and TONE. (Not always that easy with other amps), it delivers in spades every time. The only thing left to wish for is to own a true CLASS A amp for that absolute unbeatable sound with the harmonics that a Class A produces. Like the Kinsley D30 (See here) but that is $3,200 compared to this one at sub $700. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: flytv12, on november 07, 2005

Features: This is a two channel, all tube amp, some people say that it is low gain, but the overdrive channel can get anything with less gain than metallica. I play mainly blues and all types of rock (not metal) and it fits my style perfectly. There is an optional channel switching foot pedal, that must be bought separately. It has a jack that can be used to connect the amp to a larger cabinet speaker and use it as a head in a half stack. It has spring reverb which can be turned on and off with the footswitch. It has an effects loop, a three band eq and separate volume controls for clean and dirty channels. It has more than enough power for me. I almost never use the boost, it does make the amp louder (which I don't need) but it doesn't sound good and the amp doesn't really need the extra volume. I wish it had a presence control, I'm gonna give it a 8 because it really doesn't have many, but the ones it has are good (besides the useless boost switch). // 8

Sound: I play it with an epi les paul with a SD '59 humbucker in the bridge. This amp has amazing sound. The only problem with this amp is that it is pretty noisy. The clean channel is very fenderish. The reverb is great. The dirty channel is awesome when you find the right EQ setting, but it doesn't have a lot of gain. As I already said it fits my playing style perfectly. The stock speaker isn't perfect, but I like it, eventually I might swap it for a celeston vintage 30. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it, I bought it used and I have not had any problems, the tubes in the back are exposed so I would be carful when transporting it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great amp, and its reasonably priced. If it disappeared I would probably get another one, unless I had about $1000 more to spend than I did. I absolutely love the sound it gets, this amp is the best in it's price range. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: That_Pink_Queen, on june 29, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I've got one of the old Peavey Classic '30s. I'm guessing it's from around '98 or so, but I'm not positive. It has black tolex, and the square grill (not like the newer ones that have the strange wavy top thing). It's got an effects loop, reverb, and a distortion "channel" (the channel button just adds in another gainstage afaik). It's got 3 12ax7 preamp tubes and 4 el84 power tubes that put out 30 watts of tube power. And a pretty nifty handle on the top. And the knobs go up to 12. Think that's about it. Uh, and there's a "boost" button. I'm gonna give it a 9 because it's perfectly functional, and not really lacking anything in my opinion. // 9

Sound: I've been using my Classic 30 mainly with a H/S/S eBay Part-O-Caster. With this combo you can get alot of pretty diverse sounds out of the amp, from a nice soft jazz tone to a pretty rocking AC/DC type distortion when cranked. It won't go much harder than a classic rock distortion unless you use a booster pedal; if I just use a clean boost getting to a Metallica style distortion is no problem at all. As you crank the clean channel, it begins to dirty up a bit, but that's normal really, it's just overdriving the tubes. I don't have a problem with it. There's a bit of hum, but it doesn't really bother me much. It's not very loud. There are only two real issues with the sound in my opinion. The first issue is that the boost button isn't very useful. It boosts the volume a bit, but it messes up the EQ (cuts treble) and seems to compress the amp and muddy it up. Not very nice sounding. The other important thing to mention is that the stock tubes are terrible. The sound quality is terrible with the stock Sovteks. I swapped in a set of JJ's from www.eurotubes.com and now everything sounds way better. The stock tubes have a very grainy gross distortion. With new tubes, it's an 8-9. This can be further improved by swapping out the speaker, which has a bit of flab. I have an Eminence "Red Coat" "The Governor" in mine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The tubes kind of hang out the back of the combo, I think it would be really easy to smash them on accident. Bit of a design flaw; it doesn't have a back panel like many other tube amps. Other than this, it seems pretty sturdy, I don't see it falling apart in the future. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for classic rock of almost any sort. It also makes a very nice blues amp. The two "channels" make it pretty versatile. I've been playing for 6 years, and if it was lost/stolen, I'd go snap up another one for sure. For the price I paid for it, it can't be beat. The reverb is another nice touch. 9/10 for the price. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: Pink Zeptallica, on march 04, 2008

Purchased from: Local Classifieds

Features: Not too sure what year the amp was made in I think around 5 years ago as I got it second hand in the local classifieds. It is a extremely versatile amp. I play more blues to classic rock so the clean channel is used a lot. It had two channels, one being a clean channel with just the reverb. The second having gain, treble, bass and all that stuff great. I use it for bedroom practice but hopefully soon I'll be using it with a drummer which it can easily play over. The clean channel breaks up nicely as it is a tube amp giving it a nice bluesy tone. Also has a footswith for reverb and channel select. And a boost button on the amp for a bit of a jump in sound. // 8

Sound: I'm using my Japanese telecaster with the amp and it plays beautifully even without and pedals. Texas special pick ups. Hopefully soon I'll be getting myself a tube screamer to give it that little extra boost. It doesn't buzz extremely much and is quite a quiet amp. As normal the more distortion the noisier. Suits blues and classic rock but I could see this amp being used for metal and would work well for gigs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It heats up quite a bit as you only get a fan built in with the classic 50 not this 30. But I have never actually had problems with it overheating and I haven't heard of many people having that problem. I would gig it without backup and never had any other problems. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style it fits perfectly and I'd love to hear it with some good pedals. I have been player for almost 2 years I own a old starter kit with amp and a acoustic amp. I have no regrets about buying it and I got it for a great price. I would replace it were to be lost or stolen. I do love the clean channel. Peavey are so underrated for what they do. Before buying this amp it was a toss up between the Fender Blues Junior but I found the blues was a bit cheap with a lot of plastic parts etc. and the Peavey was that much bigger. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: esp1234, on july 19, 2008

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: I got the 2005 version of this amp. Sadly it didn't come with the tube protector that the new ones come. They were having a closeout on that item so I guess all they had was 2005 models, but I did get the new chassis design. It's perfect for what I play which is classic rock, some hard rock, and sometimes blues. Don't expect to get Metallica without an OD pedal out of this amp. IMO it gets close to Metallica, but then again it would sound more like them with a good OD pedal. This amp came with two channels. Didn't come with with the footswitch though. No headphone jacks, and yes it has an effect loop. I do wish it had a stand-by Switch. Peavey should stop putting that Boost Switch b/c it just cuts your EQ bad. I use it in my room, and it's actually perfect for me. Yes it is 30 watts of tube power, but I usually keep my Vol on 2, and for the 2nd channel I sometimes go from 2 to 3 to 4. It really depends on the gain I'm on because if you raise the gain knob it gets a little louder so you have to adjust with the post volume. // 9

Sound: I'm using an ESP F-50. It sounds pretty good to me. It could sound better if I get a better guitar with better pickups because ESP don't match with classic rock. I can sometimes hear a tube rattle when it's loud, but I don't always keep this amp on loud volumes so I barely hear it. If you're gigging, it won't matter either because you won't hear the rattling. It's perfect for bands like AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream. Pretty much any classic rock band you can think of. I'm not sure when does this amp get it's break up point, but it definetly has enough headroom for me. The distortion is classic brutal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm guessing I can depend on this. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I've read lots of reviews about this amp and haven't seen any that it breaks down while playing at a gig. I would never gig without a backup. You always need a backup. No it has never broke down. I take care of my instruments. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play classic rock, hard rock, and blues. Yes it is a perfect match, and will sound better with new JJ tubes. Mine of course, came with crappy Sovtek tubes. I've been playing for a year and a half, and I don't have anything else I own that's guitar related anymore because I've sold it just to buy this amp. Maybe in the future I'll buy a footswitch for this amp, new tubes, and a fuzz pedal. If it were stolen, I'd probably go and try out that Blackheart handsome devil and buy that instead, but I doubt it'll get stolen where I Live. I love that it's a great amp for classic rock, I hate that mine didn't come with the tube guard, and that they didn't have it in tweed, and that it didn't come with JJ tubes. I did compare it to a Palomino V32, and a valveking. This Classic 30 won. 8.5, but It would be a 9 if it had that tube guard and JJ's. // 9

Classic 30 Reviewed by: Johnbryant, on july 19, 2008

Purchased from: Morgan Music

Features: I bought the amp new in 2007, and is probably one of the most versatile amps around for under 1000 USD, it can easily cover any thing from 60 rock, to 80s hair metal with a good boost from an OD. This amp came with JJ EL-84s and they really make the amp come to life compared to my friends C50 with Sovtecs. The amp is only 2 channels, which share the same EQ; I really wish that each channel had separate EQs. I had the head version pushing a 412 cab, and let me tell you, if you never heard 30 all tube watts through a half stack a full volume; it will nearly blow you away. In a combo I sure it would enough head room to be over the drums, and long as you mic the amp it would be enough for any stage as long as you stay pretty close to the amp. I love turning the clean channel up and get power tube break up and you can do it with this amp without totally destroying your ears. Mine came with the tube guard. // 8

Sound: I played many guitars through it, Gibson's LPs to Ric 12 string, and really allows the guitars personality to show through. With a single coil it doesn't get a whole lot of gain but with hum buckers it's like turning the gain up a notch. It's a great amp for anyone Who is not looking for a metal amp, great amp for power pop/pop rock, if you can Live with only two channels. The cleans are good no Fender, they are kind of dark and chimey; every EL84 sounding cleans, kind of like a Vox AC-30. The OD is good very usable great for any thing less than modern metal, hard rock would be a struggle depending on the tone you are looking for and the guitar you use, but I found the amp very usable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Great amp it's a Peavey so it's built twice as tough as it needs to be, I always gig without a back up. I easy on my stuff, I try to be, but the amp never gave me any trouble. I have had 4 Peavey amps now and they have all been built so tough, they make great gear, and it's made in the USA, you don't hardley see that any more, what eles could you ask for? // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock and the amp really was good for me, it was my first tube amp and really helped me discover real tone. I have play for 7 years and cannot believe it took me 6 years to discover what great sounds that cannot be replicated in tube amps. I have traded this amp for something a little more versatile, but am really thinking about buying a used one off eBay just to use as a practice amp, and a backup, it's always nice to have something to back you up even if you have a pro setup, because you never know what might happen. It's also nice to have a second nice amp when jamming with your friends. // 8

Classic 30 Reviewed by: mrxtreme_4, on january 15, 2009

Price paid: C$ 650

Features: I think mine is a 2007 or 2008 model. Very nice 2 channel tube amp, covers fenderish cleans to Marshall classic rock overdrive tones. Also with an overdrive pedal it can get a good metal sound, which is what I mostly play. 30 watts, effects loop, footswitch jack, external speaker jack, four EL84 tubes, three ax7s, plenty of power for practice and jamming, and I bet it can do small gigs without any problems. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Fender Highway One HSS stratocaster and an Ibanez TS9DX tubescreamer to get my metal/post-hardcore sound. The clean channel is clean, bright, but not harsh, and uber smooth. The spring reverb also sounds great with the clean and overdrive channel. When I use my tubescreamer to boost it it does get a bit noisy, but nothing too out of control. The overdrive channel is ideal for any classic rock sound and can dabble into 80's metal on it's own, then with a boost it can get a nice Metallica metal sound with some modern tones if you dial it in right. A EQ pedal would probably make it easier to get a better range of modern tones. The clean channel does break up though around 6-7, but this is more than enough volume for jamming, and just enough for small gigs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems very well built. Peavey backs it up with a 5 year electronics warranty, so it should last. Hasn't broken down yet and I don't think it will anytime soon. The tweed model also looks super sweeeeet! The only thing is that it makes a popping sound when you turn it off, but if your skeptical of this you can just do what I do and put it on the clean channel, turn off all your pedals, roll back the volume knob on your guitar, and amp if you want, and turn it off and you will get a barely audible or no pop at all. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a blues and classic rock players dream amp, and a good amp for a metalhead on a budget, like me. I've been playing for 2 years and have gone through numerous amps such as, line6, Peavey xxx's/6505's, Traynors, Bugera's and Marshall jcms, and I think I'll be sticking with this one for a while. I love the reverb on this amp, it's very subtle when low and very fenderish when cranked, and sounds good on any channel. I wish it came with the footswitch, but you can always buy one if you need to and I wish it had a standby Switch. // 8

Classic 30 Reviewed by: Hagbard Celine, on may 06, 2009

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Particular 2nd owner

Features: Year is unknown, I'd assume mid 90's/early '00. Most reviews have stated it, it's an all tube amp which possibly makes it the best/loudest priced piece of gear on the market. Don't quote me on that, but it looks like it was designed after a 57 Fender model. I cover a lot of styles and so does this amplifier. I can go from B.B King, pass over to Clapton and get to Iron Maiden with little to no tweak and the right guitar, no effects what'soever. I have yet to see one that will let you do more within the same price range. I use it at home and my friend's house. It's power is strong enough for me and definitely too much for my neighbors and friends. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Stratocaster Highway One with H-S-S Atomic and Alnico (stock)pickups and a Samick Greg Bennett Avion double Humbuckers and both sound to their best on this amp.The sound out of it is very powerful and creamy,it's on a wooden floor and about 20 inches of a cement wall,even at high volume and gains it's dead quiet as if it were off. You'll be able to achieve most classic(hence to name) sounds with ease and rest assured it will do the heavier tones quite well without help. I can confirm this amplifier can definitely play "brutal" metal,just not without help. The cleans are as good as you'd expect,nothing less.Keep in mind though that we are talking 30 Watts meaning over 7.5-8 on the clean channel it will start breaking. The Classic50 would be more recommendable to a player in need of ultra high volume cleans to keep things together at all time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Never gig without some sort of backup, so I might just get one of it's head/cabinet brother and keep this one as backup. It has not had the time to break down on me but I have inspected the electronics, wires and most parts for traces of repairs and dismantling to no avail.It's still got the stock tubes and speaker. Depending on where you Live, owning a tube amp can be a curse or not if it comes down to repairing, in my city this is not a problem, I have access to various custom amplifier shops that are into tube only and Vintage amps etc so it's easy and cheaper if anything happens to it or just to buy a new speaker/set of tubes. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a good match for most players looking for something genuine, durable, loud and cheap. Played sporadically over 10 years since I also play other instruments. I used to own a Fender Blues Deluxe & a Gibson NightHawk. I sold them. Missed them. Got my present gear and never looked back. If it got stolen I'd buy another or a bigger one, I would not consider anything else. The look is certainly the thing most people like at first, that is until they hear how equally sexy it sounds! There's only one thing I really don't like and it is the lack of a standby Switch which will cause a loud click upon powering down but this true for any similar amplifier design. // 8

Classic 30 Reviewed by: paukkumaissi70, on october 01, 2010

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: DLX Music (Finland)

Features: I got the older model, with the Peavey logo on top of the speaker fabric, not the newer one where its on the top bar. It's a "classic tweed amplifier", ie. british sound like the Vox AC30 etc. It has a regular and OD channel which aren't that different, though you can control the pre-amp gain on the OD channel to really crank it up. If you're playing on a gig you're probably using volume 5 or 6 so both channels distort that warm tube distortion. I guess more watts would help give a loud clean sound without distortion, or maybe it's meant to be like this. But really, you can't get a clean sound out of it. Effects loop is OK, foot Switch optional (BS!), "boost" button which cranks up the mids if you like that (I don't, and you can't foot-switch it). Reverb and 3-band EQ // 7

Sound: I'm using a single-coil telecaster and I get the Beatles sounds I like (think George Harrison's solos on Let it be or what his guitar sounds like on Something). Suits that like a dream, when you want that howling, squealing sound. Warm, tuby, etc. You can't get a clean sound on gig volumes. Clean channel distorts at 5/12. You also can't get a hard distorted rock or metal sound, it just sounds too 60s and smooth for that, so no punk rock for you. But yeah, I guess those aren't what it's supposed to do. It's supposed to sound bleeding tube 60s and that's what it sounds like. Too bad there's just two channels of the same sound. Oh yeah, also hums like a bee on the OD channel and when turning volume up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never really neglected it, left it in the car for a couple of subzero temperature nights but that's it. Have gigged somewhat with it and it seems sturdy. Has a metal guard in front of the tubes. // 8

Overall Impression: I wish I had tested it at high volumes and realized it's impossible to get a clean sound, it's always distorting. But yeah, it does sound good when I play Beatles. And with a pedal I can even rock with it. // 8

Classic 30 Reviewed by: martynjcollins, on july 16, 2012

Purchased from: gumtree

Features: This is the new model with the tube guard, was bought from gumtree (225) I bought it to replace my Orange Tiny Terror with my Orange 1x12, this was a great amp but was just short on headroom for my clean songs in the band. I play clean funk stuff and using my Joyo compressor this really is a dream! I'm not going on about features etc as all the other reviews have done as its a pointless waste of words, what I will say though is that this little beast can go from clean (think Mr Cash) to AC/DC without breaking a sweat, is it loud enough you ask, I will tell you now, if you like your face melted then this is your amp, but on the other side of the coin you can play in the bedroom also (you do get a massive bass loss at bedroom levels) but this is expected. The reverb does exactly what it should, smooths out the sound and a give you a rich big sound (this can be turned off via foot for more dirty work. Is this the perfect amp? I'm my opinion hell yeah! // 9

Sound: I play a Strat (the only guitar you need!) its a mexican lonestar HSS, this is like heaven for your clean sounds (neck+middle) and then slam it on the bridge and bring in the dirt! This + the Peavey is heaven, with the humbucker and the gain on max you could wake up people in three streets away, the cab is open and so the sound spreads and fills the room, with your eyes closed it would be hard to point out where the sound is coming from! Especially with a tough of the lush reverb. The reverb goes up to a sensible level, not enough for surf but any other style is covered (you will need a Fender for a massive reverb) the distortion is brutal and the sustain epic! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yes I can depend on it! Would I use without backup? No in my experience amps just stop working, without warning they just stop! (like the French!) and mine did just that! Lucky we were practising not gigging, in the end it was a fault with the transformer (80 fix) these things happen, what else can you say! As all tube amps with normal use you should be looking at changin them every 12 - 18 months. This is a heavy amp! And I'm a big boy! If the audience starts asking for any Take That throw it at them and at least a handfull will have a short hospital stay! // 9

Overall Impression: I been playing for 2 years now and would say I'm ok! I play music in my band that I write myself and write to my level! (no Slash solos!) we play everything! Country, blues, classic rock, metal (just), and this bad boy does it all! If I could change anything on this amp, I think I would have snakeskin tolex (I like a bit of bling) if it were lost/stolen then I would go mental on my wife (its always her fault) serious though I would buy another, I love the Fender hotrod 40watt but this just gives you that extra bit of madness! Take my advice, find one used, take your guitar along, go in the day so you can crank it, and sit and play, any sound you have in your head can be found in this, (and a HSS Strat!) take care and play what you love and love what you pay! // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014