Classic 50/50 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 04/04/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Classic 50/50
The amp can run stereo at 50 watts per side or mono at 100 watts. It is all tube with 4 12AX7's and 8 EL84's. It has level, resonance, and presence knobs for each side and 2 1/4 inch inputs for each side.
 4.9
 9.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Classic 50/50 Reviewed by: PneumaRocker, on april 04, 2013

Features: The amp was made in 1984 and can run stereo at 50 watts per side or mono at 100 watts. It is all tube with 4 12AX7's and 8 EL84's. It has level, resonance, and presence knobs for each side and 2 1/4 inch inputs for each side. 1 xlr and 1 1/4 inch direct output for each side and (located on the back). It has 2 1/4 inch outs for each side and can be set for 4, 8, or 16 olms while stereo or 2, 4, 8 olms while mono. I use this amp as a guitar amp with a Boss GT-8 and run it stereo into 2 cabs which I set on either side of the stage. This makes for huge delay when pinging back and forth. Can't imagine needing more. // 10

Sound: I play a Gibson Less Paul and a Fender Strat depending on how I feel. I play a wide range of styles from Classic rock to country and my setup nails them all. The amp is extremely clean so that it is ideal for effects or pre-amps. Years ago I ran a ADA MP-1 on it and that was amazing as well. The best use for this amp is to run guitar effects as it takes digital stuff and runs it through all those tubes and it comes out like amp modeling should sound. This is the amp you want if you run effects. Oh, did I mention that this beast is LOUD! Yes, the neighbors down the street will call the cops when you turn it up. However, the level adjustment on the front allows for home use as well. Some people complain about the fan noise, but the only time I hear it is when it's at home in a room and no one is talking. Never had anyone complain on a gig. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems other than normal stuff. I replaced the 12AX7's about 4 years ago because the originals were going out. Hey, tubes don't last if you use them to max. Other wise this thing is built like a tank. I have dragged this thing around now for years and it has never failed me. I have 2 Peavey amps and neither one has had any problems. The other is a Classic 30 I use at home for practice when the 50/50 is packed up. I have used Peavey before when I bought some stainless strings and they were rusty - Peavey sent me out a box of 10 to replace them. I think I still have some of those around somewhere. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 29 years now and have owned a host of gear. I still have some stuff from the old days, but when the modeling craze began I went that way because of the ability to change sounds so quickly. This is a must when doing covers. We do play some original stuff too and it helps to have so many patches to move to. Stolen! Damn right I'd buy another! I did compare it to others (used others, Marshall and Mesa). The regular guitar amps color the sound so much it was hard to get amp-modeling to sound right. This thing just amplifies and sweetens with all those tubes. Close your eyes and you'd think you had the original amps your modeling right there on stage. My opinion this is the way to go if you do covers or have a wide range of sound. Otherwise just get a Marshall and be a 2 trick pony. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014