Delta Blues 210 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 12/04/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Delta Blues 210
30 Watts into 16 or 8 Ohms. 2-channel preamp. Two speakers. Tremelo w/ speed and intensity. Normal volume control on clean channel. 3-band passive EQ (bass, middle, treble). Boost switch. Master reverb. Effects loop.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.7
 9.2
 8.7
reviews (6) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: Dreadnought, on january 16, 2004

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The amp was made in 2003, though I don't know what year it originated in. It is an all-tube combo amp (30 watts) with two 10 inch speakers (Blue Marvel brand) and has two channels. Knobs are: Normal (clean volume), Pre (pre-gain), Post (post-gain), Reverb (duh), Bass, Mid, Treble, Tremelo Intensity, and Tremolo Speed. Not as many options as other amps out there, but I wasn't looking for tons of effects and enough wattage to knock a wall down. Also has external speaker jack, remote switch (footswitch) jack, and effects send and effects return (effects loop). Everything is laid out nicely and easily accessible, and the classic chickenhead knobs are a nice addition. Everything seems to be extremely well built, no wobbly inputs/knobs and no loose screws. The footswitch allows you to switch between the clean and lead (distortion) channels, and let's you turn on and off the tremolo. I do however wish they had made it able to turn on and off the reverb instead of the tremolo... I give it a 4 because it's lacking a headphone jack and footswitchable reverb. // 8

Sound: I play a Squier Stratocaster (not those crappy Affinity Strat's, I play an actualy Stratocaster copy... much higher quality than the Affinity's) and an Agile 2500 HS (I think that's the model, it's the SG copy that they sell [or used to sell]) with all stock pickups, as I don't know enough to switch them and don't have enough money to take them to a shop to be switched. Besides looking good, this amp sounds AMAZING. With crystal clear bell-like highs and tight and responsive lows, this amp will suit every clean style imaginable. I've compared it to the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and although the Fender has sparkly cleans, it just couldn't match the tone and punch of the Peavey. I only cranked it up to 5 (of 12) and that was loud enough to nearly make my ears bleed, and it didn't distort, though I've heard that the Delta Blues 115 tends to distort at 4... Two thumbs up for the clean section. This amp has to have some of the best crunch I have ever heard coming from an amp. I can easily get the mouth-watering distortion used in Metallica's cover of Whiskey In The Jar, and then just by turning down the pre-gain a few notches, get the perfect sound for Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tightrope". You can't exactly get that metal sound (such as Opeth, Children Of Bodom, or Metallica) with this amp, but given the name (Delta Blues) you shouldn't be buying this amp for that genre. You can always just hook up your fav pedal (DOD Death Metal!) and get that sound. It has "spring reverb" which is REAL reverb, which uses springs to produce the oh-so-relished reverb sound. Ergo, the quality of the reverb is completely flawless, and is nice and loose. The tremolo is amazing also, with perfect quality and no noise/hiss in the background when it is engaged (as with some multi-effects pedals). I've heard people complain that there is a sound drop when it is turned on, but i haven't noticed that; the only drop is in the tremolo itself, which is what it's supposed to do: to fluctuate your sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as realiability goes, Peavey is the reigning champ. I've dealt with them before with my Rage 158 (first amp and amp I had before the Delta Blues) and they were very helpful and quick to respond. I haven't had to contact them about the Delta Blues yet, as it's been holding pretty good so far. It seems to be sturdily built, as most Peavey's are. I would certainly gig without a backup with it, though I might bring some extra tubes, because the there is no back cover and the tubes are just hanging out for the world to see (which CAN be cool). I give it a four because of the lack of a back cover... // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about one and a half years, and have come to appreciate a wide variety of musical genre's and equipment; this being one of the kinds in my collage of amps that I have tried. I play mostly metal, classic rock, heavy rock, and some emo/punk. For all my punk/emo and rock needs, this amp's got me covered. I can always just plug in my DOD Death Metal if I want to get that metal sound. This is one top-end amp; a STEAL for the money that was paid for it. // 10

Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: da_guitar_boi, on april 10, 2007

Purchased from: Bill Hardin Music

Features: This amp is very versatile. I can get sounds anywhere from Keith Urban to John Mayer to Green Day to Big & Rich to even some Three Days Grace stuff. This amp can easily cover anything except maybe some really heavy stuff like Slipknot or Hunter. But what do you expect from an amp called the Delta Blues. It has 2 channels clean and od. the channels are selected by either a button on the amp or a foot Switch (sold separately). It has an FX Loop, 3 band EQ, Reverb, Tremolo, EQ Boost Switch (as far as I can tell it's basically the same thing as a "fat Switch" on a Fender amp), and a speaker out. The only features I wish it had would be a separate EQ for the OD channel. I also would like for the tremolo to be foot switchable instead of just the reverb. This is the reason for the 9 rating. Even though this amp is only 30 watts it gets pretty loud. My mom won't let me turn the volume past 2. another feature mine has is a protective grill in the back to protect the tubes but provide ventilation for the hot air. From what I have read the older did not have this feature. // 9

Sound: Right now I use it with my modified Squier Stratocaster. it has just 2 pickups a humbucker and a single coil. I play anything from country to blues to rock and contemporary praise and worship at church and it hits all those areas very well. it does get noisy with teh single coil but what amp doesnt't. There is a slight hum in the background when you turn it on but that might be from the ground, I haven't really worried about ti too much because you can't notice it when you are playing. this amp doesnt't have variety like amp but it can make just about any sound you want, except metal, and for that all you need is a good distortion pedal like a Jeckyl & Hyde by Visual Sounds. I haven't turned the clean channel up past 4 or 5 so I don't know if it will distort or not. The distortion is very very clear and crisp. That is the reason I bought this amp. When I hear the distortion channel I had to have it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use it at a gig without a replacement but I would take some extra tubes just in case. I've only had it for a week so I haven't had any experience with it breaking down. As I mentioned before they added a cover for teh tubes which really impressed me. // 10

Overall Impression: I Have been playing for 5 or 6 years now. I also own an Alvarez RD8C Acoustic/Electric with a upgraded Fishman pickup, A Samick Fairlane Bass, A Line 6 Spider II 15 watt, a Line 6 Spider II 150 watt, A Boss CE-5 Chorus enesemble, a Johnson Distortion pedal (piece of crap) and miscellaneous accessories. If my amp was stolen I would probably buy another one. I already answered all the other questions for this section in previous sections. // 10

Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: Wildheart1118, on december 04, 2013

Purchased from: Craigslist South Fla.

Features: This 2002 Mississippi-made hand wired 30 watt tube amp one of the best amps I've found for under $1000.00. The Peavey Classic Series is very highly esteemed by working musicians. It comes with two channels, much better clean headroom than comparable Fenders, and a rich, harmonic dirty channel. Classic blue tweed is cool, speakers are not a drawback, but some guys swap them out. Don't we all? This is one LOUD 30 watt amp, with a warm clean channel, not glassy clean like a Fender, but that's not a bad thing. Changed the standard Sovteks EL84s for a Quad set of JJ Goldpins and the clarity just blossomed. Almost like taking a blanket off of the amp. The real spring Reverb is lush, and the Tremolo I found to be very useable, but you have to take the time to tweak it, or the volume fluctuates too much. Two channels, sharing the same High, Mid, and Bass EQ, Mid boost, Reverb & Tremolo. Footswitch controls Channel select and Tremolo. I wish it had separate EQ for each channel, but it cost me 250.00 bucks! It's simplicity is it's strength. // 9

Sound: This beast is a LOUD 30 watts, way louder than you would imagine it would be. There is an extension out jack in the back and I'm planning on adding on an Avatar 112 w/ a Celestion Hellatone 60. The DB 210 can not only nail the Blues, but it can do Classic Rock, Jazz, R&B, Pop, but may need pedals for Hi-gain Metal (Pantera?). It has a fantastically sensuously warm clean channel, not a glassy Fender clean, but it has it's own warmer character, which is not a bad thing, actually. It chimes with a bell-like clarity with my PRS w/ P90 pups and even more when I play my Strat. The overdrive is Marshall-like, richer and warmer than any Fender under 1 grand. True, the overdrive mode can get a somewhat harsh, fizzy kind of breakup when the pregain is set over, say 10, but I'm thinking of swapping the stock EH V2 preamp tube for JJs. I've heard they or a Tungsol 12AT7 are a major improvement. The stock 10" Blue Marvel speakers are not a bad fit. They're made by Eminence, and are punchy with mids and lows, yet articulate, not ice-picky, with the treble range. IMHO, the DB 210 beats out the ANY MIM Fender Deville and H.R. Deluxe - hands down - in overall sound, and those amps cost two times more used. Again, the clean channel with reverb set at 4-5 is warm, full, semi-dark, and sweet as brown sugar. Classic and Hard Rock, as well as Blues is the DBs undeniable forte, but Jazz players, you have to give this amp a try. It will keep up with any Rock and Country amp under a grand, too. With a change in preamp tubes, (I went with a matched quad set of JJs), I'm giving the sound rating a "10". // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Peavey. It will survive the Apocalypse. I will use a back up because it's a combo tube amp, and when you have tubes being blasted that close by sound waves, you want to play it safe. The tolex covering looks super cool, and is a breeze to keep clean. Kind of a retro look to the old Fender Bassmans. Every thing in this amp is American made and looks to last. Real leather handle, too. It's a Peavey... It's a "brickhouse" to quote from the Commodores. I installed a Tube Guard from eBay for $30.00 because honestly the amp design left the 7 tubes too exposed for my liking. The newer models-2005 and on - come with a Tube Screen installed. Also, I put in a Tube Tamer (again eBay-$25.00) to keep the four EL84 power tubes from rattling at higher levels. This is a quirky thing with these older DBs 210 and DB 115s, and any of the Peavey Classic amp line. Finally, I installed a stand-by switch, for which an amp tech I know charged me $40.00. A good investment. A stand-by switch really extends tube life and it enhances the sound to have warm tubes before you try to play. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for my style. I've played for over 30 years, through Fenders, Marshalls, Music Man, and I stand by the claim I made earlier: this "little" 30 watt gem is the most underrated, best bang for your buck, diverse sounding tube amp you can find under a grand. I picked it up for $250.00, put in another 200.00 in up grades, and I have all I need.Love the relative light weight and sound. I wish it had Reverb controlled footswitch. I compare it to the Fender Blues Junior, except it's louder, fuller, has Tremolo, and two tube driven channels, and it just blows the BJ out of the water. // 9

Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2008

Price paid: C$ 400

Features: Not sure of the amp's year of manufacture, but it is the older version without the tube guard. This amp is versatile, I bought it for it's nice blues tone, it gets nice and thick, with a healthy but rich smooth distortion. It is the first amp that I've owned that I play clean, it has a tone you can feel. I play some blues, rock, some punky stuff like Clash, Rancid and Offspring. but with much more clean sound. Features described in reviews below. I don't mind, it looks kinda cool seeing the tubes glow in the dark. But enough of my night time habits. I gave the amp an 9 for the reason that it doesn't come with a footswitch. I can't think of why they would make that an option? (Heartley are you reading this? ) // 9

Sound: I'm playing a strat with single coils, and it suits me just fine for most things, and even better for others. I am running a chorus through the effects loop and a Cry Baby in front of the amp. Both more for tone, rather than for effect. I find it has a bit of a hum but once you play it disapears. The amp is just awesome tone wise with just a hint of tremalo and the reverb set to about 4. I'm playing in a cluttered room mostly, so a bit more reverb is needed at lower volumes. As above, it suits many styles of music, just a little fiddling and you can seriously alter the amps sound. I haven't had the amp up loud enough to have the clean channel distort just yet, but I'm working on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have an '83 Decade, that hasn't failed me, I don't expect this to either. I don't gig, just jam here and there, so I wouldn't worry about a back up. The amp is new to me, but was in showroom condition when I bought it from a little old lady in Passedina. Again, I gave it an 9, as far as I know the amp has never needed service for any thing other than the tubes were replaced. // 9

Overall Impression: As above, I play a wide variety of things, it works, it is so versatile. I've been playing for 25years plus, I still have my origional amp, a Peavey Decade 10w, but have been asked by my wife to "do something with it." If it were lost or stolen I'd be on the hunt for another, the value is fantastic. This amp costs a couple hundred less than a comparable Fender, but is made in the USA, not Mexico. I played Fender the blues deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, Traynor YCV50 Blue, and YCV40 and the fact that the price for this, used mind you, compared to the other amps was $200 less clinched it. This amp is by far more versatile than the other amps, it has better tone clean than the Fenders, and a much nicer thick rich creamy distortion than any of them. The only thing I wish it had was a footswitch included. But even the Fenders foot switches are extra. // 10

Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I bought this amp used and have no way of knowing what year it was made. I purchased this amp because I was looking for a lower-wattage tube amp that would still have enough muscle for club gigs (I had played through a Fender Twin Reverb for years and finally figured out that I simply don't need that much power). It's a two-channel amp with reverb and tremolo. The channels and tremolo are foot-switchable but the reverb isn't. It's annoying sometimes, but if I need more reverb I just lean back and twist the knob. Really, it's no big deal when you consider how inexpensive this amp is and how good it sounds. It uses three 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and four EL84 tubes in the power section for 30 watts through two 10-inch speakers. // 7

Sound: I've been playing through this amp for about 18 months, using it with a Fender American Standard Telecaster and a Xaviere XV-JT90 with a mini-humbucker in the neck and a Fender Telecaster neck pickup (I'm a creature of habit). I like this amp better with single-coil pickups; humbuckers cause the sound to saturate thickly. Of course, that's fine if you like that sound. I wanted more of a Fender-y sheen, so I pulled out the stock Blue Marvel speakers (which are fine, mid-rangey, growly speakers) and replaced them with Jensens. This resulted in more definition and shimmer. I also replaced the stock EL84s with JJ Tubes and swapped the stock 12AX7 in V1 (the slot nearest the input jack) with a NOS RCA 7025. Huge difference. The stock clean sound was sorta plonky; now it's creamy and rich. The overdrive channel gives a big, warm sound that responds dynamically to varied pick attacks. I use a clean boost pedal to make solos jamp out in front, otherwise I play without effects. This amp, as the name implies, is excellent for blues. It's also excellent for country (although it doesn't have the clean headroom that most country pickers desire), classic rock, or jazz (with the same headroom caveat). The clean channel starts to break up around 6 or so. The overdrive channel will never do metal, but that's not what it's designed to do. Instead, you get a big, warm, chimey sound that shifts to a saturated, thick tone under a heavy pick attack. That's what my ears say, anyway. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's well-built and reliable. I gig with this amp often and have yet to have a problem. I keep a couple of extra power tubes with me, but that's a good idea with all tube amps. None of the knobs have gotten scratchy, and it's simply solid all the way around. Built in the USA, by the way. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 20 years, and in that time have played many different styles (indie rock, classic rock, western swing, Christian contemporary - seriously, 20 years is a long time) and I find this to be a good, flexible amp that lends itself to wide range of styles. On the other hand, I've never been the kind to buy a particular piece of gear to play a particular style. But whatever. If this amp were stolen, I'd probably get another (but I'd change out the tubes and speakers as described above). I love the relatively light weight, rich tone, and punch of the two 10s. I love that I can cut through a band and crank the amp enough to get into the richest part of the tube sound. Seriously, it's an excellent amp, particularly for the price. Check one out. // 8

Delta Blues 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: full compas

Features: After researching amps for two yrs. And figuring out what I realy was looking for I decided too buy this amp. It has everything a person needs to play the blues, country, cool butt kickin surf from beach boys to dick dale. I don't here too many people recognizing that sound and style from this amp (try it you'll like it). // 10

Sound: My #1 go to guitar is my squire tele (don't laugh) its totally HOT roded out with Proshop Texas Specials pickups, 250k pots and 250k Orange drop caps. Also Fender locking tuners, real bone nut, neck and fret work kept up professionally on an annual basis. It sounds and plays awesome. My other guitar is a 1980 strat that has new Seymour Duncan Vintage pickups. Also a great player. With this said, the amp is perfectly suited for these guitars. With the tele and the amp on clean settings it has brilliant clarity with both the highs and lows and as you turn up the volume the the chime really gets distinct. On the rock settings and playing the strat through it you can really get great crunch and sustain, of course I haven't had the chance yet too really crank her yet. I do believe you can play through this amp decent size clubs and hold your own. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do know one thing that this amp is built like a tank and everything about it seems industructible. I would not hesitate to take it out on the road. So far not one negetive issue has come up. I realy like the detail and attention to building a solid and durible product. The cab is built from atleast 5/8" to 3/4" wood. Heavy dutie hardware. The realy cool feacher is that it comes with a metal tube guard and heat resistant ruber vibration dampener between the tubes and the tube guard. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, surf, country, classic rock. So far this amp has been a very good overall match for my styles and guitars I play. I've been playing for about 20 yrs. Off and on but in the past 4 yrs. I have realy turned up the jets and play 2 to 3 days a week. Other gear I have is a 1971 Les Paul, a mid 60s Kalamazoo model two all tube amp and I only use a wah pedal, I'm not much into all of the crazy weirdness. If this amp got stolen or damaged beyond fixing I would track one down immediately. So far it does what I need for me, I can't say I hate anything about it. I compared it to fenders and to get what I wanted I was going to have too pay atleast 3 times as much. I chose this amp because mainly price but it has as much going for it as any all tube Vintage Fender. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ VTM 60 8.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014