Envoy 110 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 11/10/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Envoy 110
This has obviously been designed with the working/studio musician in mind and has pretty much the features, tones, power and portability you could want. It's the kind of amp you can appreciate after a few years of playing and you have matured a bit.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (9) pictures (5) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Envoy 110 Reviewed by: AllPlayDead666, on september 27, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I believe this amp was made in 2004, this amp is pretty killer for a 110, 2 channels (lead, and clean), but you aren't limited to just one sound for each channel like many amps, the clean has 2 different options (modern and vintage) and the lead, has (high gain, modern, and vintage) I love this amp, I can do anything from classical, to bues, to jazz, to metal. I just wish it had a EFX loop, even though it is a practice amp, so I wouldn't use it much anyway. But It has the best most realistic tube tone I have ever heard from a solid state. // 10

Sound: I use a BC Rich NJ series Warlock, and a ESP F series, and I can get a wide range of sounds and musical styles on this thing. It is a little noisy sometimes (mostly at louder volumes) I personaly can't think of genre that I couldn't play on this thing. I have turned it up to 8 and the clean channel still held true to the clean. And the distortion can go from brutal (Mesa) from gainy (Marshall) to vintage no problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is sturdy, and if it was larger I wouldn't hesitate to use it for gigs. I use it for practice, and it is on for hours everyday. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, blues, classical, and just a large range of things, and I have to say it fits them all pretty well, I would buy this again, it is a great practice amp. I love everything about it, except for the fact that it doesn't work very well with EFX, so that is a bummer, but other then that I think it is great. I compared this to a lot of other amps, it beat a lot of 112s, so I thought it was good. I love this thing, I just wish it had an EFX loop. Can't go wrong with a Peavey though. // 9

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: dgargett95, on april 21, 2009

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: Wollongong Music Centre

Features: I think this amp was made in 2007 and it's 40 watts, this amp is awesome with different switches for different sound. From heavy metal to classic rock and from blues to country. I play classic rock a lot and it's great for it, although the sound quality isn't the best and it sounds a bit tinny. This amp also has high and low gain inputs and Speaker Simulated Direct Out jack. It has 2 footswitchable channels, clean and lead. It does have a headphone jack, great for those late night practices. And it has reverb and boost but it doesn't an effects loop, which is a little disapointing, even though it's just a beginners amp. I do wish it had an fx loop and the reverb could be a lot better. I use pretty much all the features and it's a great amp! // 9

Sound: I have an Ibanez RGt42FX with Infinity 1 & 2 humbuckers. It has a great Switch in the lead channel which changes it from classic rock and a bluesy sound to medium gain for more grunge and metal. To high gain for brain melting solos and ear splitting squeals, but is a bit noisy on this Switch. I play classic rock and bluesy type stuff and also a bit of funk and alternative, which is really nice on clean. It is a bit noisy on high gain, especially with the gain all the way up. I have never played it outside, I just use it as a practice amp and it's great for that. It has a dreat clean channel, especially at low volumes, but when it starts to get higher in volume it gets a bit muddy. The distortion can get to crazy distortion with crazy sustain and eyeball popping brutality! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's never broken down for me before, but I just use it for practising. I wouldn't gig without a backup amp, even if it was the most expensive amp in the world! I take good care of my amp, but I think it could take a bit of beating, but it's not the most solid amp in the world and it's got an open back. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I think it's an awesome amp, especially for my styles. I've bee playing for about a year now and I just recently bought the Marshall MG50DFX and it's awesome! It's got great tone and sound and very versatile, with heaps od different fx and settings! I tried it out at the store before I got it and it was the best amp for my price range (it was my first amp). If it was lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't get it again, I would probably save up for a Marshall stack or something big! I love how easy it is to use and it's versatility. But the reverb isn't great and it doesn't have the best sound. My favourite feature is the switches for changing the type of gain and different clean sounds! Overall it is a great beginners amp and Awesome for practicing, even though it can get to huge volumes! // 8

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: AudioStudio

Features: I suppose the amp was made earlier this year. Two channels, clean and lead. Nice reverb, too. It's versatile enough. It's a solid-state and tube hybrid. Could have used an EFX loop for the wattage it has. One 10-inch Blue Marvel Speaker. // 9

Sound: I use a pretty decent Strat copy with a SD JB Humbucker for the bridge position, and an Ibanez acoustic-electric with active pickups. It suits my music styles pretty good, and I play everything from Black Flag and At The Drive-In to Interpol and Foo Fighters. The buzz gets pretty loud on distortion but that might be attributed to the number of other appliances on when I use it. The distortion modes are great, but sound a bit muffled. The modern/vintage settings on the clean mode sound the same. The EQ's pretty good, makes for variety. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems a little too solid, and some of the plastic guards on the corners seem a little flimsy. Still, as I said, it IS solid. I just got it this Christmas, but it's a Peavey, for god's sake. I'm confident it'll last. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years now, and I must admit, this is a lot of value for the money. I'm glad I replaced my piece-of-shit Marshall MG10 with this. If this were stolen or lost, I'd probably save up for a Studio Pro because of the FX Loop, but this is really a bargain. You really get your moneys' worth. // 10

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: jklsadj;sadjfak, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: denhams music

Features: The amp is pretty versatile. It's got low, mid, and high EQ setting. It has a clean and a distorted channel, and both channels have "modern, vintage, and high gain (only on distorted channel)" switches. The the vintage gives you more of crunchy sound, the high gain is great for metal, and the modern is good for punk, rock, and almost anything eles. It's 40 watts of SS, and it is plenty loud for playing over drums in a band. It would work for small gigs, but nothing very big. It has a reverb feature, which really doesnt change much until its up to 10. It's also got a headphone jack, and a remote switch for the reverb and channel switching. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio with it. The amp is great for metal, punk, and almost any kind of rock. The clean channel sounds great at all volumes. The only problem it the amp is always a little noisy. Solos sound a little messy. The distorted channel doesnt get much louder after 6, and starts sounding worse after about 4, that's my biggest problem with it. The distortion is very brutal on the high gain channel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a problem with it and I've had it for a year. It's taken a beating too, since I have carried it around lots of places and hit it on things. I would use it at a gig without a backup, again, only at small gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: It is great for metal, punk, or any kind of rock. The only thing I don't really like is it doesnt sound very good at high volumes on the distorted channel. If it were lost, I would probly get something eles, because this isn't an amazing amp, just great for your money. I love the reverb, it sounds great for solos, even though the noisy amp messes that up a little. // 8

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: zombiedethsquad, on november 04, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I have the newest incarnation of this amp, the Envoy III. This is in the TransTube series of solid state amps built to emulate tube amp sound. This is a fantastic practice amp. I play dark wave, metal, rockabilly and classic rock stuff through this amp and it handles them all well. The clean channel has Vintage, Classic and Warm settings; the lead channel has Classic, Modern and High Gain. Between these six settings you get a really versatile little 40 watt monster. It's also a good way for beginning guitarists to learn what amps can do; you can really dial in a lot of sounds on this if you take the time to learn how different the settings are and what you can do with them. Really helps keep practice interesting. In a pinch you could rock a smallish club with this thing, and you probably won't be drowned out by the drummer in your buddy's garage either. It doesn't come with a foot pedal to switch between channels but will accept one. I haven't looked for one yet, but I hear they aren't hard to come by. There is no effects loop (I don't miss it but someone else may). Has a headphone jack that I never use but would be handy in a dorm or bedroom. Also has reverb and a master boost, which is nice, and separate low/mid/high eq knobs for each channel. // 9

Sound: I play a Washburn HSS Strat through this amp and can make it sound however I like. I've never had any noise problems, though I've read other people's reviews who have had hisses or hums or whatever. The clean channel is great with a little reverb; the lead channel can get muddy with the gain turned up if you aren't carefully tweaking the eq, but you can pretty easily get a nice metal or punk sound. Metal players will probably wind up using a pedal with this, but if you're at all into hardcore I think this will keep you happy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this for a few months now, but Peavey has a solid reputation for building tank tough amps. It's solid state, so no costly tubes. I play this for hours at a stretch with no issues what'soever. I wouldn't hesitate to play a house party or small club with this, or even a larger club if you mike it. Don't throw it down the stairs, but if it should fall down the stairs I expect it would survive the ordeal. // 10

Overall Impression: I really, really dig this amp. It does everything I need it to, probably more. If some jerk stole it I would immediately get another one. In 18 years I've never been this happy with such an inexpensive amp. It's actually got me to put away my Alvarez in favor of my relatively cheap-o solid body and has helped inspire me to play a much bigger variety of music. One last thing; this is the amp I wish I had when I first started out. This isn't much cheaper than the cheapest of practice amps, but won't need replaced in two or three months and won't turn beginners off because they can't get a sound they like. It's light, loud and very versatile. Well done, Peavey. // 9

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: stealstrings, on february 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 345

Purchased from: Independant music store

Features: Not sure what year it was made. The amp is pretty versatile, you can get a lot of sounds out of it, classic rock, modern metal etc. It has 2 foot-switchable channels and headphone jack which is great for me. It is 40 watts and it is LOUD. It has transtube emulation circuitry and a 10 inch Blue Marvel speaker. // 9

Sound: I use a crappy strat copy. I play a lot of hard rock/heavy metal and this amp is great for it. I haven't really tried it up loud yet. But when I'm using it in my bedroom, I have to have the volume on 1 when using the lead channel. I can also get a really good blues-rock kind of sound which I really like. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't have another amp like this so I would depend upon it for now, til I get another one. It has never broken down, but I've had it less than a week so hopefully it last me 5 years or more. The amp I had before was 10 watts and could not be heard over the drums so this is a pretty big upgrade for me. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 5 years.I play a lot of rock/metal and use the clean a lot as well. Before this I had a Marshall MG which really can't compare to this. If it were stolen I would definitely replace it (and find the bastard who stole it). There probably are better amps out there for the same price, but I'm happy with what I have. // 8

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: impalax327, on november 10, 2014

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Wollongong Hock Shop

Features: Peavey have had many incarnations of the Envoy going back to the '80s and each generation is different. My Envoy 110 is a mid 2000's model which is still currently available so if reading reviews bear that in mind. Solid State 40 watt combo amp. 2 switchable channels (each with three voicings), Digital reverb, boost function. 10" Blue Marvel speaker. Hi and Low inputs, DI out. Each channel has 3 band eq with voice swtiching options. Hi and Low inputs for high/low gain pickups, digital reverb and up to 10db boost. An optional two button footswitch controls channel select and boost. Nicely designed with a good and easy to use layout. An excellent amp for the studio or working musician. // 10

Sound: The Envoy 110 is a very versatile amp due to it's 2 channels and the voicing option for each. Brilliant clean tones with the "warm" setting being by far the best and closest reproduction of a tube amp. Very responsive and dynamic and a mile ahead of any other amp claiming "tube" reproduction (this includes my Line 6 Flextone I). Channel 2 also has three gain voicings offering a wide range of tones from mild crunch to modern high gain. All very passable. If you can't get a good sound out of this amp then you have no ears and should probably rethink music, period. For the style of music I do it's perfect (pop/rock, country, jangle).

The BOOST function is excellent for taking solo's and can be adjusted up to +10db (a rare feature for an amp like this). The digital reverb is excellent. Two button footswitch (optional) controls both channel selection and boost function. It is a LOUD 40 watts and can easily keep up with stage volume (I'm talking the stage volume of professional players). For a bunch of kids in a garage who know nothing about sound no amp short of a double stack will ever be any good, so ignore those kind of mindless reviews. The Envoy will easily keep up with drums for stage monitoring and can be directly run through a mixer. The DI out reproduction is excellent and it sounds great through a PA. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Peavey have always had a good reputation for build quality and reliability and while the Envoy 110 is solid and well put together it's more on-par with most of what's being built in Asia than the old "bulletproof" USA built models. Having said that, it is solid. But what is "solid" anyway? It's a guitar amp not a football. It will take knocks but anyone that abuses their gear no matter what brand will live to suffer. The Envoy is more than fine for being transported to a gig and set up on stage, which is all an amp should do. Stand on it, jump off it, spill drinks on it, kick it or thrash it then just give it to someone else that can play and give up music. Like any kind of machine it can break down though and I've just had to have a power relay replaced on mine. It's done a lot of gigs so after 8 or so years I can forgive that. Once repaired (which wasn't hard nor expensive) it's as good as ever. // 8

Overall Impression: The Peavey Envoy 110 is a good all round and very versatile amp and MUCH more than a "practice amp." It's strong points are the range of tones available from it's twin channels and it's boost function. This has obviously been designed with the working/studio musician in mind and has pretty much the features, tones, power and portability you could want. It's the kind of amp you can appreciate after a few years of playing (30+ professionally in my case) and you have matured a bit. Kids probably won't like it the same way they don't like any amp and that's their loss. But if you buy an amp based on what it sounds like rather than whose name it is or whoever endorses it, you'll be glad you got an Envoy. Every guitar I have sounds good through it (335, Danelectro's, Strat, LP Goldtop). The WARM setting on the clean channel is exceptional. The Envoy 110 is a remarkable amp ideal for the working muso. Worth keeping, worth repairing. // 10

Envoy 110 Reviewed by: magiark1, on september 07, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: This is the newest Peavey Envoy model, made in about 2008. It's a pretty good little amp, at least on the clean side. I use a Metal Muff hooked up to this for the distorted tones, and it sounds killer. On the clean channel, it has a Vintage/Classic and a Warm switch. Vintage/Classic sounds great, and I generally have it set to that. It's also the quieter of the two. On the distortion end, it has a Classic, a modern, and a high gain switch. It also has a boost knob, which doesn't really do a whole lot, and a reverb, which doesn't compare to a pedal reverb, but adds a good bit to cleans and solos. It also has a Low Gain and High Gain imput, which is nice depending on what sound you want. // 8

Sound: I've been playing about a year and a half, and my tone has gone through a lot of changes. When I was starting out, I used a really low bass sound, with the trebled almost completely taken out, and using the EMG 85 on my Hellraiser Deluxe. I eventually switched to a tone that sounds a lot like the tone on Blooddrunk by Children of Bodom. It's handled both quite well, considering it's not a tube amp. When I have used the built in distortion, it was noisy as all hell on the high gain switch, and really didn't do too much for me. The clean works well, unless you're maxing the volume on your pickup, in which case you won't ever get a sparkling clean. It suits metal well, and holds it's own as far as tone goes, with a pretty strong low end. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Here's where things get a bit iffy. It's a durable little amp, and would survive being thrown a bit, but I had one that broke down a month after I got it. We sent it back, and fortunately Peavey sent a new one, which has worked fine since. I own two of them, and used one for the school talent show in front of about 250 people in a decent sized room, and it worked perfectly. Plenty of power and tone. It also sounds better the louder you crank it, but you lose some of the low end power at higher volumes. It's only getting a 5 because of the defective one. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said, I generally play metal, but it works well for blues and jazz as well. This was my first amp, and I still do like the tone it gives. I like the reverb and the Vintage/Classic setting on the clean channel a lot, they add a nice character to clean interludes, like the one on Master of Puppets. If it were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy another, because I have two, and I plan to get a tube amp soon anyway to get more power into my playing. This is my first review, so I would appreciate any feedback on it. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ VTM 60 8.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014