Express 112 Review

8.3
reviews (4) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Express 112 Reviewed by: fragydig529, on october 26, 2006

Purchased from: Yard Sale

Features: This amp has pretty much everything I'd expect an amp to have. It's a 65-Watt amp which is plenty for practice, and jamming, and even some small gigs. It doesn't actually have any built in effects other than Reverb, but I prefer pedals anyways. It has 2 different Equalizers, 1 for the clean channel and 1 for the dirty. Really easy to use, but the amount of knobs may be intimidating to anyone Who isn't used to big amps, I upgraded from a 15-Watt Kustom which only had 4 knobs. It has 4 buttons, 1 is the Bright button, which is like a treble booster for the clean channel, it doesnt't work if you switch it to dirty. Another button changes it from clean to dirty, then under the dirty setting there is a button that turns on gain, and one called Thrash that is a mid booster. It also has Transtube tech. making it mimick a tube amp, even though it's a SS. The T.Dynamics doesn't really make that much of a difference to me, although a little is noticed. // 9

Sound: I use a cheap BC rich warlock with this amp and it makes it sound great. The amp is actually really quite unless you turn the reverb up to 10, then it hums a little. I've only turned this amp up all the way 1 time, and it was pretty loud, people next door complained about it. Some of the other reviews complain about lack of gain, it works fine for me but I still prefer my MT-2, if you turn the pre-gain pretty high, it distorts it quite well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had it long, so I can't really say anything on this. But I'm sure that yes I would gig with this amp without a backup. As long as it's a really small gig. It seems really sturdy, I have 2 other amps sitting on top of this one. It's pretty heavy as well. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is amazing, it's well worth the money, at $200 it is far better than most others at the same price, I'm not sure if they still makes these or not. I wasn't sure if I wanted this or a Line 6 Spider II but after reading some reviews about the spider, I'm glad I got this one. I have nothing bad to say about this amp. // 10

Express 112 Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on october 14, 2005

Features: This is a great amp, with average features. No other effects on it besides moderate gain for a Peavey amp. It has a jack in the back that with an adapter, I can plug headphones in which I love. But this amp being so huge, around 30 watts I believe I never usualy plug in my headphones into it for fear of the power of it blowing the headphones out. It came with a footpedal that I find usefull for switching between clean/gain settings. // 8

Sound: I use a Squier Strat with this amp. It has a wonderful clean sound that I use alot. The one thing that I don't like is how the gain is not as crunchy as I would like. I had to buy a MD-2 MegaDistortoin pedal because I was upset with the distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is as reliable as ever. I would gig with it in a second for the sound it puts out for its size. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for my range of playing from Hendrix to Green Day. I love how much it puts out for its size. The only thing that I hate about it is its lack of gain. Other than that, I like it. If it was stolen/broken/lost? How do you loose an amp the size of this? I don't think I would get a new one of this kind, I would stay with Peavey and upgrade it. // 10

Express 112 Reviewed by: PatrickJR, on april 20, 2006

Features: I don't know exactly what year the Amp was made, but if I were to guess. I would say around 1998. The amp for me, pretty well covers my styles, Rock, country, and metal. It has A High and low gain, with two channels of both clean and dirty, with a headphone jack. It doesn't have any effect, unless you want to call reverb one. I am not really a man of effects so I couldn't care less that is what pedals are for! I use this amp at my home, when I jam I use then too. It only has 65 watts, so when I turn it too the dedicated volume it really loses it's sound for jamming. Enough Power at home, not for jamming. It is a solid state amp, that has gotten me through many good year! // 6

Sound: Well, I have a much better guitar to go along with it. I'm using a G&L Tribute S-500. The guitar makes up for a lot of the amps misses. It tends to have some feedback and can be noisy at time. I find when I have it up Loud on dirty, it doesn't sound as good at all. I get the best sound out of it when she is down low. It doesn't have any real distortion, so I have to do it the old way, turning up the gain on blast and turn down the main gain. It gets me through. Even though the amp doesn't have much variety it has a nice clean channel. It never looses it's sound while it's on clean. This is one big thing I love about this amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, I will be honest. I have the amp for about 5 years now. I haven't treated it the best, but it's still going strong. It has lost the sound it did have, but when I get my new amp, that will fix everything. I have played a few shows with it, and I trusted it every time, and still do. It has never had anything series go wrong with it that I know of. It's a 40 pound amp that wont give up! // 8

Overall Impression: Well, it was the first amp I ever bought, along with my guitar. I never knew what I was buying at the time. But it was a good buy at the time for 250 bucks. I have gotten a good 5 years out of it, with a few shows and a lot of jamming. If I lost this or had it stolen, I would buy a new one before I pay to get it back, just because I need a new one anywhase. It would be a good excuse to get my mom to buy me a new one! I love how it sounds when it is at low volumes. I hate how it sounds at high volumes, in a small room. I don't like to compare this amp to others, not to any new amps, only it's own year and type! A Half decent Amp at the time, but now it's time for a new one. I found it good for me starting off. A cheap price for premium quality. Which has now warn out. // 6

Express 112 Reviewed by: Nicoles, on november 21, 2007

Purchased from: dale cleaves

Features: My express was purchased around 1990 when the model was first introduced, while a few people have commented on it's lack of effects back then amps didn't have effects so atleast for the time when I purchased it, it wasn't lacking. It has 2 channels, your basic clean and distortion, Clean channel has a bright Switch makes a fair amount of difference. Clean channel also has 3 knobs, low, mid, and high, The distortion channel also has those 3 knobs of it's own and a gain knob. Both channels have independant volume knobs. There's also a spring reverb wich is shared by both channels. It also comes with a footswitch and has an effects send and return. It's a solid state amp. I used this amp for practice and jamming and even at couple of small gigs (around 200 people). Considering the year I purchased it, I will give it a 9 for features. // 9

Sound: I have 2 b.c riches ones platinum virgin from the '80s with an EMG81 the other is stock 2005 NJ speedloader warlock. I mostly play metal, Metallica and Megadeth style etc. It suits metal well. The peaveys where really popular at the time. It has a quiet hum to it, nothing to bad. The clean channel remains clean at high volumes. I never felt that is lacking in an ability to produce a sound. None of the other reviews have mentioned this and a lot have said the it does not have enough game. The gain knob is also a push pull design, pulling the knob outwards puts the amp into "super saturation mode" where the distortion is plentifull, Peavey had better distortion than other brands I had tried. I will add I've had 3 different speakers in this. The main difference between this and the Bandit model was the bandit had the better speaker (scorpian IIRC) With the EMG I was getting pretty close to metallicas sound from the puppets era, was very happy with it. I used to jam and gig with the volume on around 5-6. It's 65watts RMS so it is quite able to put out as much as 100-200 watt amp that isnt RMS. I currently just use the clean channel with DigiTech RP100 in front and am still quite happy with the sounds, though my current speak is not ideal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this amp for 17-18 years. I've dragged all over the country with me as I've moved, I've gigged with it, As a kid I'd sit it on my skateboard and ride it to practice! I blew up the original speaker playing some Slayer on 10 within the first year wich was dissapointing, I can't remember what speaker I put in it, but it sounded better with the second speaker, I ended putting a subwoofer from a car in it as I damaged the second speaker while doing something. It still sounds pretty good and solid, just need to turn the bass down. I also had the distortian channel cease to work for a few years, but now it's working again (that happened after about 15 years). I'm giving it a 7, because the stock speaker was crap. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been about 19 years (not solid had a few years where I didn't play due to broken gear or lifes hassles). My fave feature would be the super saturation, as it basically gives you a whole nother dial of distortion. Given the choice again I would have paid the little extra and got the Peavey bandit for the better speaker. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014