Rage 158 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 04/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Rage 158
The amp is good for bluesy sounds. 2 channels, clean and lead; lead has pre and post gain knobs. The volume on this thing is actually pretty good.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 7.4
 7.7
 7.9
 7.5
reviews (24) pictures (3) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Rage 158 Reviewed by: Deus, on july 25, 2003

Purchased from: Daddy's Music

Features: This is a simple little practice amp: 2 channels, clean and lead; lead has pre and post gain knobs. The volume on this thing is actually pretty good (for a 15W amp). Switching is done with a knife-switch type thing--no footswitching. There is a headphone jack and a CD/tape input--both work fine. The EQ has two modes: "Modern" and "Vintage". These, too, are controlled with a physical switch. The Vintage has a little more treble, a little more twang. The Modern is a little cleaner, closer to a pure tone. I use Vintage for blues/jazz, and the Modern for open chords, any type of distortion, and for a simpler sound with single coils. // 8

Sound: Between the 3 EQ knobs, the pre-gain control, and the vintage/modern switching (which is subtle), there is a pretty good variety of sounds you can get out of this amp. My only complaint regarding the distortion is that at REALLY high distortion--pre gain pretty much all the way up--it basically sounds like static. However, as long as you're not playing really weird stuff like Rage or Disturbed, you should be able to get enough distortion. Any noise I hear from this amp is from a guitar or a cable--when I use my Monster cable and a humbucker, there is no noise. Unfortunately, it tends to buzz a little at low pitches at medium to high volumes, but if you turn it up this much it hurts your ears anyway! // 6

Reliability & Durability: Never had to fix it in any way. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this used and crazy cheap. It's what I play through almost all the time, and with no effects. It gets the job done and the price is right, and despite its small size and shortcomings, I've really gotten way more than my money's worth. // 8

Rage 158 Reviewed by: bassmonkey16, on october 17, 2005

Features: This is your basic practice amp, but better. Not too many features, but that's what pedals are for, eh? This tube amp has a lead/clean channel switch, and volume settings for both options (there is no master volume). It also has this awesome modern/vintage switch. The vintage makes the guitar sound more, well, vintage, ya know, more old school sound. I love this option, it makes switching from modern rock to '80s rock so much easier. And, of course, you have your three EQ settings, low mid and high, I keep mine set at 8 2 and 8 respectively, gives me that nice metal sound I want. As well as this, you get a haedphone jack as well as a cd input jack. I haven't used the CD jack, supposedly you use it to play along with music. But I have my stereo, thats good enough. One feature I miss is the reverb however. The only difference between the Rage 158 and the Blazer 158 is a reverb setting, I wish I would have known that when I bought it a few months ago, I woulda got the Blazer. // 9

Sound: I'm running my BC Rich Platinum Beast through this little baby, and it sounds great. I also have my Warwick Rockbass Corvette goin through it too. I know, don't use a bass through a guitar amp, but hey, the amp can take it. This little sucker can crank to 10 and the quality of the sound is just as good as ever, even through the clean channel, however it kinda hurts the ears. One thing I don't like is the volume of the clean channel versus the lead channel, the clean is quite quiet at the max. The lead channel is pretty fine considering the size and cost of the amp. Again, a very good amp for practice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well I kinda kicked the thing just after I got it, I'm clutzy that way. But it's fine, the mesh in fron of the speaker itself is really tough. I've had it around 3 or 4 months now, and I've had no problems with it. However, I would not gig with it, I mean it's a practice amp. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my little practice amp, and man does it make practice a blast. This little amp can crank like you wouldn't believe! I play mostly metal and rock, and this can provide harsh enough tones for my styles. However I occasionally do some mellow stuff, and it's versatile, it makes any notes sound good. I personally play all sorts of things when I am to by any music accessory, I play jazz, blues, metal, rock, punk etc. And this amp stood out from the rest, for it's price that is. For $110 CAD, I would buy this again and again if it got stolen. For the price you get one helluva amp! // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 22, 2004

Purchased from: Foxs Music

Features: This amp was made in 2002, but I have no idea where! The amp itself is extremely versatile, I play lots of Grunge, metal, and punk and it meets the standards of that all round, also, my friend plays a lot of blues and jazz, and he often pays me a visit just to play the amp, as he thinks its much better than the Marshall he bought, for twice the price. I great thing that the amp comes with, is the manual. At the back of the manual there are suggested tone and EQ levels for different styles of music and sound, which I thought was great for beginners. The rage has one channel swith, from clean to distorted, and a headphone jack, theres also a modern/vintage switch which is great for playing different eras of music. I wish the rage had a few effects on it, like the Marshall practice amps, just so that I am able to extend the playing styles. I use this amp both in my bedroom and sometimes in rehearsals in my band, and the power it belts out is great for a 15 watt! // 8

Sound: At the moment I have a Stagg Mockingbird and Fender Strat, both sound good on clean and distorted channels, especially the strat for those really deep grungy sounds that I like to play. the only time I get bad amounts of feedback are wen I sit directly infront of the amp. The clean channel does get a little distorted at high volume levels, but I've never needed to crank the clean channel so loud that it hurts, or sounds distorted. the distortion, isnt that brutal im a afraid, which is a big let down, but at the same time sounds clear enough for me to hear it whilst the gain is turned up high. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've not had a problem with this amp, it's had beer spilt on it, it's been dropped down stairs and it still lives! The sound hasnt changed since I bought it, and not once have I needed to replace any parts in two years. // 10

Overall Impression: The amp is good for bluesy sounds, aswell as rock such as aerosmith sounds etc, but for metal/punk/grunge it sorta doesn't fill those shoes! The amp is excellent for any sort of music, but I do believe that the Rage 158 is the best practice amp on the market. I regret not asking if the amp can take a pedal, which it cant, and if someone stole it, I'd chase after them with a bat until I got it back. My favourite feature has to be the channel switch, its smotth, easy to use, and is very useful. I compared this to a Marshall 15W practice amp and I chose the rage because it was the clearest, and most of all suited my playing style better than the Marshall. // 8

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Ricardo33, on january 27, 2005

Purchased from: Sameul Music

Features: I got this amp just a couple months ago brand new so I'm gonna say it's a 2004. The amp is not bad when it comes to versatility, metal is a little on the weak side however. But with the post gain and equilizers up the distortion isn't too shabby. It has clean/lead switching along with modern/vintage. It has both a headphone and CD output jack although I never really use either. This amp stays in my bedroom and is plenty loud for that. I'll also mention that it is the transtube series, but I'm not sure what difference that makes. // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Squire Affinity Strat and play mostly rock and metal. It has no real problem with classic or regular rock, but metal could use a little boost. It does get a bit noisy when you put lead on with full post gain. As for the clean channel, max volume gives little if any feedback. And as I said before the distortion is a bit weak, but it still gets the job done. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp does have an open back side that I often worry about, but the casing is quite sturdy and dependable. For the couple of months that I've owned it, it hasn't broken down at all. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for a practice amp or something just to screw around on. I would say it ranks a notch above the Fender 15G amp. For a 15 watt amp it can really give off some noise and still keep it clean, I would recommend this amp to any beginners. // 8

Rage 158 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: I bought this amp about 6 months ago. It was also the first guitar I bought with it. I didn't have any knowledge of amplifiers neither. Now I have heard several other much better amps then this one for example the Line 6 spider ll 15. Actually this Peavey sucks. It has two channels: clean and lead (if you want a reverb on you amp you have to buy the Peavey Blazer). // 6

Sound: I use this amp with a ESP - LTD AX - 350 guitar with EMG-HZ-H4 pickups. I almost never play another style than metal. When I first bought the amp I quickly saw that the distortion of the amp itself sucked quite hard. Actually its a p*ssy distortion. That's why I bought a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal a month after I bought my Peavey. Now my distortion is really brutal on my amp. Even for a 15 watt small amp it all sounds kinda good. The clean channel that the amp has is quite good I have nothin to say about it. This amp isn't very special when you dont use a effect pedal with it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't know actually that I can depend on it. It just stands here inb my room for practice. Sometimes I take it with me when I go visit a guitar playin friend and it went to a rain and nothing happened to it so I think it's quite durable. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good practice amp but it hasn't got a good distortion equiped. I'm planning to play in a band. My Peavey will remain my practice amp but ofcourse with my Metal Zone pedal. I'm planning to buy a Line 6 Spider II 210. Like that ill really blast my f--kin roof off of my house. So this Peavey is a good amplifier for beginners who don't need a lot of distortion just to learn how to play the guitar. I must admit that the amp sounds much better with my new LTD AX 350 then with my former Stagg. // 6

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Talented, on july 10, 2006

Features: The Peavey Range 158 is a pretty solid amp. I have one for practicing and it works like a charm. I put it in my room and I crank it up playing my punk-rock music. It has 2 channels lead and clean. My favourite part about this amp is the modern and Vintage Switch. The only thing really you can expect more is a few more channels but it is no big deal. Overall the amp itself is very, very solid so it could withstand alot of pressure. // 8

Sound: I use my ESP LTD EC-50 on this amp and it sounds actully really good. It can go distorted, it can go clean whatevr. A lot of people say that the distortion sucks and all this. But I really think it is a good amp for practicing. If you really crank it up it is umbearablly loud. The amp can make a little variety but it is, the clean can sometimes be a little quite but that is ok. It is a above average sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well I don't think it would be strong enough to play in a gig. You would get something with more power and more variety. But if we were going by reliability not sound I would definitely take it. It is such a great solid little amp. It has never broken down on me or anything. Peavey makes great quality amps. So again not even power for a gig but durability wins me over. I would take it alone. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk-rock, I would say it suits me well. It depends if you like the distortion on it. I think it is actully pretty good. I have been playing for over a year, and I got my ESP LTD EC-50 and a two many other things to mention. There is nothing I wished I would have asked because I knew that it is a practice amp and that is what it does best. It is way above average for practicing. If it were stolen I would maybe look around a bit more to see what else but at the end of the day I would MAYBE buy it again. I love how durible it is, I hate that there is not much power but enough for practicing and my favourite feature would have to be the vintage/modern Switch. That is my review on the Peavey Range 158 amp. // 8

Rage 158 Reviewed by: JHKH, on june 18, 2004

Features: Not sure what year the amplifier was made in but it isnt that old only around 5 years at the most. If your a beginner and you want to have some distortion and a bit of clean the amp is very good. It can give you any type of style you want really. Soft rock such as Guns n Roses is a good one for this amp. For clean sounds it can do any type of music it is very good. The amplifier has 10 channels of distortion but you can play about with these depending on the type of music you wish to play. ALthough a little disapointed with the pre on the amp as if you move this a little too much the sound goes really loud on distortion or if you dont do it enough its too low and the amp sounds tinty. Its quite fiddely to do that but for a bedroom the amp is great. I wish the Rage 158 had reverb. I never used to like this until I got more experienced. But now I cant live with out it since I got a Korg AX1500G this is an excellent pedal to use with this amp. I use this amp in my bedroom although I have giged with it a couple of times. The clean sounds distort a little bit when they are pushed at a high level and you can see why this amp is really meant to be for practicing. The amp is a transtube amp and I would recommend it! // 8

Sound: Mainly rock, metal softrock those sorts of things. The amp seems to handle these very well but as you get more experienced buy a pedal as the distortion isnt as good as pedal distortion. It does suit my music style at the moment because I have a range of styles depending on what mood. I like the clean sounds on this amp. The amp is well sheilded and doesnt make any noises. The only noises I get is from my pickups on the neck but that can be sorted. Bluesy sounds are good , rock like deep purple sounds good. Soft pop songs are good for this it has a good variety of songs that it can do. The clean channel is distorted on high volumes but if you turn down the bass a little then this can be resolved to a certain extent. Distortion can sound a little messy but if you are more experienced you can get different sounds out of the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I cannot fault this amplifer it is excellent. I would use it on a gig but only a small one not for large places. I wouldnt need a backup the amp is very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Very good for older rock or clean sounds like Lynard Skynard Sweet Home Alabama. It just has that nice tone to it. I've been playing nearly 5 years and the amp has done me well. I own a gibson goth explorer and that also sounds nice through the amp. I own a Korg AX1500G pedal which you have to buy to get even better use out of this amp. You will be shocked how much better it makes the amp. If it were stolen I would definantly buy it again. It's been excellent. I love the fact that it is compact and mean looking (the older shaped one). I don't hate anything about it. My favourite feature is the clean channel because it has a nice sound. I compared it to a 25 watt Ibanez amplifier and id much rather this one it has much better distortion and is excellent for practice and small gigs. I just wish it had reverb thats all. You could get some nicer sounds if you had this like a bit of long lasting blues sounds. // 10

Rage 158 Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on october 24, 2005

Features: I bought this amplifier brand new from Peavey's website. It am in love with it. It's only a practice amp, but it is very high quality (it's the newer generation of amps, remember). The sound from it is very very high quality and you would have to have a bad guitar in order to degrade the sound. The features include three EQ knobs (high-middle-low), obviously a master volume knob, a distortion channel with a pre-gain knob and post-gain knob, and a modern/vintage switch. The modern/vintage switch changes the sound between a warm, rich sound that you'd expect from a modern amplifier, and vintage, which gives you the sound you would get from an older amplifier. Older doesn't imply lower-quality sound, it implies a more "stingy" and "sharp" sound. It's really very good on distortion. The setting I normally use for distortion is the pre-gain all the way up, post-gain (when practicing) on 2, bass on 7, mid on 4, and high on 7. The vintage/modern switch is set to modern or vintage (although vintage sounds better for that setting). // 9

Sound: The sound is great. There is no static or anything. You only get mushy background noise when you turn the distortion up all the way (post-gain). That's with the guitar unplugged. The sound is very good even on distortion (and even with a crappy guitar I have). The only problem I had was pick-up noise. So I bought a sound filter from Boss. I really love this amplifier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very sturdy design. It should last me for at least 10 year before having to get anything fixed on it. I am very sure of this. It was a 5-year warranty or something (actually I think it's a little longer). This amplifier is very well-built and you don't have to fiddle with anything to make it work. Hell, it even smells good coming out of the box. // 10

Overall Impression: I would recommend this as a perfect practice amplifier. 15-watts of unbelievable reliability, durablility, and sound. // 10

Rage 158 Reviewed by: AsShadowsRemain, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Ted Good's Music

Features: It's a 2005 Peavey Rage 158. It has an 8 in Blue Marvel speaker if I'm not mistaken. It's mainly just a practice amp so it doesn't have alot of neat effects or anything. I play alot of metal and death metal and I just use this amp in my room or when I just wanna sit down and practice. It has 2 channels, lead and clean. No FX loop, but it does have a headphone jack. I only use this amp for bedroom practice. It has 15 watts of power and that's enough for bedroom practice. This amp is also a transtube which is Peavey's name for a hybrid or a solid state with a pre-amp tube. // 7

Sound: I use quite a few guitars with this amp and they all sound decent for such a small amp. It suits my music alright but I can't really tell since I never use this amp for anything other than practice. It is quite noisy with high gain and it has decent volume for an amp of it's size. The amp can play all sorts of different styles. Such as blues to metal. The clean is slightly distorted at high volumes and the distortion is okay for a $150.00 amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for bedroom practice but I don't think I could depend on it for gigging as it is too small and not loud enough, and I would just look plain stupid gigging with this amp. This amp has never broken down but the tube in the back does tend to get very hot after an hour or so of playing and this can lead to some electrical components being fried as I've seen it happen before with my classmates Rage 158 amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and this amp is alright for practicing, other than that, that's all this amp is really good for. If it were stolen I would probably save up for a better amp from Peavey like a Bandit or a Special 212. This amp is very good for its price and I compared it to a Fender Frontman 15 watt and this amp was overall just better. Better cleans and better distortion. You can certainly tell the difference between transtube and normal solid state if you sit down and compare. Overall this is a decent practice amp which is very well for bedroom practice or for beginners. // 7

Rage 158 Reviewed by: SixSixSix, on february 24, 2006

Features: I have no idea when the amp itself was made, but when it comes to versatility the amp really loses points! I play a more heavy sound, ranging from grunge to metal, but I'd guess its better for a more bluesy sound, as the Distortion is pretty weak, compared to something like a Line 6 Spider 15. The amp has 2 channels, clean and distorted, the clean sounds nice, but far from pure, and regularly I find the trebles dont break through. On the plus side, it has a headphone jack which is very useful for late-night practising, and the volume can really pack a punch. // 6

Sound: I'm using the Rage with a Gibson Standard SG, with Double humbuckers, normally dropped down to a C or Db. As I found out that the distortion really wasnt what I wanted, I bought a Boss ME-50 effects processor, and this practically brought the amp to life, the trebles and bass lifted loads and now I'm reasonably happy with the results. The amp can get a little noisy but a simple noise gate can sort that out. I've also found that the amp loses sound quality after knocking up the volume, but it goes a fair way before this happens. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I doubt I could use this amp in a gig: it's not powerful enough and I don't think it sounds good enough for live shows! But as far as practising goes, its a good little amp and has basically delivered what I needed to start off. It's never broken down and I play the amp sometimes for 3 hours daily. I'd definatly recommend this for beginners as I know the price has come down since I got mine. // 7

Overall Impression: I wouldn't suggest this amp for metal or heavy rock, like I say, it gives more of a blues sound, but thats just my opinion. I've been playing 3 years now, and if I could afford a better amp, I'd buy one. This was the second amp I ever bought, and I'm reasonably happy with it. If it were stolen, the only reason id be pissed is that I couldnt have sold it on to someone who could really get the best out of it, but I think I'd go for a Line 6, as this is more suited to my playing genre. I did ask a few questions to the guy in the shop but he fed me bullshit basically about how the amps distortion is real heavy etc, but at the time the one thing that appealled was the price tag! // 7

Rage 158 Reviewed by: matx33, on april 03, 2006

Features: I got this amp (with the Peavey Raptor Plus EXP, that combo) as a Christmas (2004) present. So I think it's a 2004 model. Not a bad amp, it's helped me bring up my playing. Part of the Transtube series. I play a lot of different stuff (anything from James Taylor to System of a Down and everything inbetween) and this amp can handle it fairly well. It has two channels, clean and lead, the lead with a pre and post gain. It's a fine little practice amp, and like I said it can play what you want not too badly. // 9

Sound: As I mentioned, I use a stock Peavey Raptor Plus EXP. So these two piecese fit together nicely. I've also put a Fender Stratocaster on it and it sounded nice as well. Hell I even got an Epiphone bass to run through it (and not too quietly either) and it's still good! For a 15-watt amp it really can make some noise. It plays metal well with the distortion, blues sound nice on clean, you can do just about what you want to it and it'll sound nice. Great for a little practice amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged, I've been working on getting a band together. Personally I don't think it would be up to the task of a big gig, I'd be worried about it handling the noise I'd have to put it through, but when you're just playing for friends and family in your living room or whatever it's perfect. It's never broken down on me and I've never had it serviced. Still sounds great, I'm very pleased. I take good care of it though, it would be just stupid to throw it around like a blubbering idiot. It has an open back but that's not too big a concern. // 9

Overall Impression: If you're looking to gig and play big, you may want to look at a bigger amp. It's nice for my skill right now but I wouldn't mind some effects and stuff. I'm looking to buy a Line 6 Spider II 112 amp, it can handle more than this. But don't get me wrong, this amp is still great and it grows on you. It's a happy little guy if you will, and you won't be disappointed with it if you're looking to just have a little fun and screw around. Not at all disappointed. I still love it. // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Hillside_Loafer, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: jam.se

Features: Well, it's a quite basic amp, 15 watt, 2 channels, CD input and a some stuff for that, clean and lead channel.It's a simple and good amp for practice I think, hard to get a good sound of it though, but more on that later. I bought it a few weeks ago with my first electric guitar. Since I am a beginner it's good enough since you can learn to play guitar with it, it's better to make sure you can play before you bother to make what you play sound good. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal music of the Slayer/Mastodon/The Haunted type. And I think that this amplifier lack the support of getting a distortion that sounds good for this. You can experiment with some distortion, but it's quite limited in my opinion. I use a Japanese Jackson SL1 guitar, and the amplifier does not keep as high quality in the sound as the guitar I think. With a distortion pedal I think it'll be great on the other hand, the speaker of the amp is not impressive eighter, when you play the lower frets on the smallest string, there is hardly any sound that come out at all, just some high frequent tone that is almost unhearable. At first I thought there was a problem with a guitar (since it was used) but then I tried with headphones and other speakers and it sounds good. So actually, with a distortion pedal and headphones/other speakers it'll be fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, I don't play more than in my room, and it havent moved much from where I first put it, so I wouldn't know! But I havent got the impression that it is very fragile, my guess is that it's ok. // 8

Overall Impression: It's not that good, but it's cheap and it works. I don't know what I wheter to buy it or not, but in that price range there aren't many amplifiers, and there is nothing wrong with the sound level minding it's a 15W. But the price level jumps up a bit since you should get a distortion pedal for it to make it sound good. So I don't know actually! I can't say I'm very satisfied with it, but I don't had any better alternative, so I can't really say I regret it either! // 6

Rage 158 Reviewed by: childofbodom14, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: pongetti's (hamilton ontario)

Features: This amp isn't very versatile however I found it was ok for someone just starting (this was my first amp I bought 3 years ago). I play most heavy metal however I do play some bluesy songs. It has a clean and distortion channel and headphone jack. I am getting a new amp because I need one with more efex but if ur just starting it will be fine. I use this amp in my basement and with my friend and it's suprisingly loud. It also has a "vintage" and "modern" switch but it doesnt't really do any thing. // 6

Sound: I used my first guitar (also a Peavey) and my new guitar (Platinum B.C. Rich Warlock with 2 humbuckers). I find it has a lot of distortion at low volumes which I love. When you turn it up you lose a lot of distortion but it still sounds ok. I think the distortion is very good for a starter amp this size and I can play heavy metal with it no problem. However it is noisy with a lot of distortion. The clean is just a basic clean sound with a volume controll, nothing fancy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never given me any problems untill just alittle while ago, the distortion channels volume wont go to 0 (however it will still turn down enough). It doesnt't really bother me and I could probably get it fixed but I'm too busy looking for my new amp. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is good for beggingers. It is ok on clean and has a lot of distortion. If it were lost or stolen I would wonder why ne one would steal an amp this cheap and by a new amp. I like the distortion and I don't no if it's just me but it sound pretty loud for a 15 watt (I never play it past 1/4 volume unless I must fooling around). I think this amp is fine except it doesnt't have ne digital effects and isnt very versatile. If I had known then what I know now I would get definitly get the Marshall MG15DFX, it's pretty much the same price but has digital FX. this is definatly a basic mediocor amp. // 7

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Greenday389, on november 20, 2006

Features: This is not versitile at all! I play mostly classic rock and metal and this thing is totally crapped out! It won't even go to high volumes without doing some freaky crap. The lead channel is ugly. This amp has 2 channels, lead and clean. It has a 3-band EQ(low, mid, high) and has a volume knob for the clean channel and a pre and a post knob for the lead channel. It has a phone jack and a CD in/tape out jack. No power could help this amp. Even if it had the power it would blow up or something. // 3

Sound: I'm using a Dean Custom that has 2 invader humbuckers in it right now. The amp can't do crap. It's noisy as heck in every enviroment no matter what setting. The amp makes a very horrible sound, but I have managed to get a good clean jazz guitar sound for jazz band. If the clean channel is distorted at high volumes it would blow up before then. The distortion is horrible. The good thing is that I run my good guitar through a Behringer V-AMP2 which gives the amp an atleast almost good sound. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I would never depend on this! I would never use this at a gig without backup. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use this as a backup! I'm pretty sure the amp is breaking down. It is probobly from neglect at the pawn shop and from the previus owner.It is solid state and doesn't require tubes. If it had tubes I'm pretty sure it wouldn't sound as bad. // 1

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and metal. This amp deffinatly doesn't match(atleast without the v-amp2). I've been playing for 3 1/2 years. I own a Behringer Ultraroc GX110, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Behringer V-AMP2, Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, and a Dean Custom. I should've asked if it would be a piece of shit even though I played it before I bought. I sounded ok but a month later it went downhill. If it was stolen I would be thankful. I don't love it. I hate it because is sucks. No feature in the world would make this amp good so there is no favorite feature. I wish it had a good sound! // 1

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Rainmaker27, on december 15, 2006

Features: This is my first review, so bear with me. I'm not sure what year this amp was made in, it seems pretty new though. The amp, I find, is good for most genres of music. I mostly play Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Pantera and stuff like that. I also play some horror punk stuff, like Misfits. It has a CD and headphone input jacks, and they both work well. I use this amp practcing alone and when I'm jamming with my band, it puts out a lot of power for a 15 watt amp, it definatly has enough power for me. It has 3 equalization buttons as well as a Switch for modern/vintage sound. I find the Vintage rather annoying but the modern has a really good crunch when it's on the lead channel. It also has pre gain and post gain buttons, which work well with this amp's lead setting. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Washburn X-series guitar with this amp with Washburn H/H pickups. It suits my styles well (classic metal/thrash metal/horror punk/grunge). It is a pretty noisy amp, it buzzes and it's really staticy when it's on the lead setting and the volume is turned up. I could use a not so staticy distortion setting. It tends to sound pretty gross when playing high pitched riffs/solos, it tends to buzz a lot. The clean channel stays clean, no matter how high the volume, or how high you're playing on the the fretboard. This amp doesn't have much variety of sound, but, it has enough variety for the styles I'm playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a depenable amp. But I wouldn't use it at a hsow with our without a back up because it's more of a practice amp, it's only 15 watts. The only problem I've ever had with it was the input jack, it got a little loose, but that's a common problem anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: My styles of music match this amp pretty good, and if you use a good distortion pedal it sounds perfect for shredding. I've been playing for about 2-3 years and I prefer this amp over most amps I've played before. If it were stolen I'd probably save some money and buy a bigger amp, but it would definatly be a Peavey or a Krank. I like most things about the amp, but I wish it's lead channel was slighlty less staticy. // 8

Rage 158 Reviewed by: mr_sinistah, on january 15, 2007

Purchased from: Used from Friend

Features: It has low/mid/high control, also has a clean colume and distortion, so you can play clean and then flick the switch and play distortion louder. So it doesn't have a master volume, really good feature. I Don't know much about the amp but the other reviews will tell tales. Versatile, hell yes! Awesome distortion, warm cleans, just fiddle with the knobs and you can do anything. It also has a CD jack so you can jam to instrumentals or what not. This means you can yank in anything you can get to be a 1/4" jack so if you hook up your TV to it, can do! Same with a second guitar but you won't be able to change the sound much, just volume from the guitar. So you can play lead with distortion while your buddy does the clean during verse! It's a transtube series so it's sweet. Really nice for the money. Certainly a better option for the beginner if they want something more than decent. I got cheap so I'm delighted, but you should be able to bargain shops for it. // 10

Sound: It's loud! You can turn it down and all, but a small turn gives a lot of volume so you gotta be delicate if you wanna play quiet. When combined with a cheap 7 band EQ, it can make some awesome awesome cleans and tweak your distortion too. You gotta play with it all to get sounds you and your guitar like. I got a nice Morello/Original Fire sound from it. Pregain on about 6 or 7 with low at full, mid at 7 and high at 0 and some playing with EQ. I got a somewhat Santana sound too but it's just not the same without overdrive or a tube screamer (or hums for that matter). I play it on a cheap strat, SSS setup, nothing flash but I get all the sounds I want. Distortion has lots of treble, I like mine low and dry so my EQ helps. Also I like to play somewhat discreetly, don't wanna annoy the parentals too much so I suck some juice off from the EQ, about 5-10dB depending on what I need. If you turn down from guitar, you'll get clean when you want distortion and if you turn down from amp, you won't get that exact volume, always be either too loud or too soft. When I turn mine on, if the volume is a bit loud, it'll make a big "blooomp" sound when I hit the Switch, so I turn down, turn on then do whatever but that's no problem at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's just too awesome, it'd be decent for a small hall, 100 or so people, loud enough for it. It's uilt pretty well, I use it as a footrest heaps. The back is exposed (look on google for pics) so I have it against a table. Built tough like I said, good brand, good product! // 10

Overall Impression: It's awesome for anything! Been playing for about 5 months and this thing rocks. My friend bought it a few years ago though so it's kinda old but amps never get old so quickly. If lost I'd be pissed, if stolen I'd kill someone most probably the mofo Who stole it. If I had the moeny I would buy another. It's good for anything, like I said it is better than most beginner amps so they might ask a fair bit but if it's same price or just a bit more expensive, definately grab it. Certainly a sound investment in my books, not a crappy 10W chunk of junk but 15W of Peavey genius. Definately worth the extra paper! // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Legolas_001, on april 28, 2007

Features: This is by far probably one of the easiest little amps to use. Simple controls. Clean Vol, Channel Switch, Lead Dist, Lead Gain and a 3 band EQ (all very useable). What more can you want in a practice amp? Perhaps DFX though I hate most DFX systems. lol // 7

Sound: Far out, I laugh out loud when I hear people say the Peavey Rage 158 Amp is a piece of crap (they don't know what they are talking about or they perhaps got a dud amongst the bunch which is believe me a one in a million chance! ). I've got one of these little beautys and I got it as my 1st amp at the age of 8 and I still play it regularly and I've just turned 19. it's still going. I got it second hand when I bought it. it's got a great range of tones you just gotta spend a bit of time tweaking the eq to find the sound you want. I mainly play my Squier california natural strat through it and it sounds just frigen awesome though I have also played acoustics, mics and humby electrics through it and all I love! The distortion is quite useable despite being quite high at a very low level but you can tweak the gain around a fair bit and still get a great range of tones. I'm not a pedal buff and am stilll yet to lash out and buy myself some decent pedals but essentially I primarily play as an acoustic guitarist and have never really needed them that much though I plan to get myself a Boss DS-1 soon. I've played Marshall MG15s, Fender Frontman 15s and a whole stack of other practice amps. None can face up to Peavey except maybe the Orange 15W practice amps but they're almost double the price and don't feel quite as sturdy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've mainly had this at home yet have brought it to pubs, parties and all kinds of venues and this has never once failed me. I've played a few of the newer versions of these amps and I don't believe they really sound quite as good and are definately not built as tanky however they are really the best practice amps in their price range the new 258 amp is a welcomed add-on to the great series. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 12 years now and I've played though some fantastic upmarket amps i.e. Fender Twin Reverbs, Hiwatts, Marshall JCMs and certainly none seem to have that same ease of use, feel and great EQ. (Yet they all serve their uses. These amps are also plentifully loud for any venue up for bout 100 people. Mines a mid-late 80's model and what can I say but I still love it and would happily be buried with it. I'd be soooo peeved if somebody stole it. I would probably cry and then go out on a spree to find the bugger. If I couldnt get the amp back I'd probably go and purchase one of Peaveys 212 combos (Solid State) and a spare 258 cause of reliability and Live with that happily also. Long review but hopefully my ranting hasn't been too long and has been useful to those Who have read it. // 10

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Korzack, on november 12, 2007

Features: I'm presuming made in 2003, as was the year I got it. Part of a Peavey Starter pack (along with Raptor guitar, lead, picks, the usual shebang). Your usual practice amp fare, but seems to have been done better than normal. 15w Solid State 2 Channels, clean & lead (drive/dist.), with a volume for clean, pre/post gain for the Drive, and a simple low/mid/hi EQ for both drives. A CD input as well, as well as a L/O or headphone jack. Fair enough deal, really, and for 50, it's not bad at all. The speaker's 8 Ohms I think. // 8

Sound: At the moment, I usually use Gibson style guitars (LPs, SG's etc.), and using it with my Epiphone LP at university with a fex effects I bought (Boss SD-1 for a solo boost and a Dunlop crybaby wah for kicks). With the 2 gain controls, it's quite possible to do anything from Chuck Berry style classic rock (shuffles etc.), right up to NWOAHM and the really heavy stuff. Got a nice set of EQ for my style (I usually play Punk of most sorts, NWOBHM, Hair metal & Classic/Hard Rock) and it works an absolute treat. The Drive & distortion ya get with cranking this us is actually better than using my Marshall MG50, or at least is easier to get a better sound with it (I've never liked the Contour control). Ok, if you crank the thing as high as it can handle, you're gonnd get a lot of noise, specially with the Drive, but that happens with almost any amp if ya push it enough. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had it 4 years, and it hasn't had a single glitch at all. That's all I need ta say about the reliability, and the way it's going, chances are it'll be at least another 4 years before I need to replace it, & by that time I'll hopefully have no qualms about it. So far as gigs are concerned. No. In practices you can barely hear it over the drummer, & that's with proper cranking. Although I did use it for a college show, & got asked to turn it down quite a lot, so yeah. It's definitely possible (that was in a small-ish theatre, 200 capacity), so tbh it is definitely possible to use it for a gig, but I wouldn't advise doing that regularly. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been using this since I started playing electric (4 years +) & it's been great for me - Glad I got this over the Squier Starter Kit, because I remember the ones at my school always used to break inside 6 months or so. Ok, so when I'm at home I usually plug into my big ol' Marshall, but that's just me. I still like this little thing, hence why I brought it away with me instead of just buying a new pactice amp. So far as extra features, nothing that'd be fair to ask for in a newbie pack, like a footswitch for the channels would be a bonus, but as an amp on it's own, it's pretty damn solid. OK, so it's not exactly a DSL full stack, but for what it aims to achieve, it's a bloody good job from Peavey. Only thing I'd wished it in terms of Ethics was that it was made in the USA or something rather than China, but apart from that, it's a great package. // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Nycto, on august 22, 2008

Features: This amp is an interesting one. I received it from a friend to use as a practice amp, and have been using it with my ESP MH-400 for about 2 months now. Unfortunately it's just not great enough to tackle heavier stuff, (it gets really loud, but at a certain point you can hear it rumble in itself through the bass) but it works really well for just practice. It has two channels; clean and distortion. The distortion channel doesn't sound too great, but when you fiddle around with the equalizers (low, middle, treble) you usually can eventually find something you like. The clean channel is actually pretty nice for the cheap little amp that it is. There is also a switch for Vintage and modern settings, Vintage will give you crisp notes, where modern will give a nicer tone with a little more added bass. The amp has plenty of power for what I use it for, simply practice. I've used a couple of effects boards with this amp and successfully gained a pretty professional tone, actually. And some higher grade distortion pedals like Boss's Metal Zone make it sound very nice. But you aren't going to watch to use this for a gig or anything, just get a bigger one or run your guitar through a PA system. What I like about it is the headphones jack, which pretty much every amp has anyway. My mother sleeps pretty early, so with a 1/8 - 1/4 converter I can plug in my headphones into the jack and grind away without making a sound. // 8

Sound: I use it mainly for practice, which consists of weird stretch formations and such. When I'm playing my styles, I play pretty much classic rock and heavy metal, with the occasional today's rock. The amp provides a well enough sound it doesn't make me want to slam it into the wall, but my guitar hates me for limiting it's possibilities. It's not really noisy at all, for my guitar at least. For my old First Act guitar if you found the right place to sit at there wasn't a buzz, but that was kind of annoying. There isn't much variety to the sound. It's either clean or distorted for classic rock or metal, and it really sounds like crap until you max the distortion. The clean channel is actually pretty impressive, as I mentioned earlier. Whenever I play Pink Floyd's stuff it sounds really nice. Doesn't really matter which settings it on, it's just a nice channel. The distortion is sub-par. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Oh yeah - you can rely on this. You can slam it into the back of your truck as you're headed places or leave it outside on your porch overnight, all that jazz. This thing is pretty old and still in perfect working condition. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years, and I've played many different guitars and tried out many different amps. For my style of music, this thing actually kind of blows. After playing others' amps, and coming home to this, I can't wait to buy a new amp. If it were stolen or lost, I'd forget about it and save up about 30 more dollars for the Line6 Spider III. // 5

Rage 158 Reviewed by: zeppelinisno.1, on january 08, 2009

Purchased from: my dad

Features: The Peavey Rage 158 is my favorite amp that I own. It is really good for rock, metal, classic rock, and stuff like that. It has 2 channels, normal, and then overdrive. It has headphone jack which I use alot. The only feature I wish it had is a bigger variety of sounds on the knobs. I use all the feature it has because there are a lot of songs I like to play in many different genres.I use it mostly in my house but I always take it with me to band practice because it has a big sound to it and it's pretty small to the ones they use. // 7

Sound: I use the overdrive with my epeiphone les paul and a DigiTech hotrod distortion pedal. I can play pretty much any thing I want to and it doesnt't sqeel that bad. It can go pretty loud with distortion but it doesnt't have sound effects like fading or anything like that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is the most dependable amp I have and I don't think I would really need a backup in a gig because it has never given me any problems. It has never went out and I keep it in a same place and don't do anything that would cause damage to it. It had a buzzing noise once, but it was fixed by cleaning it out because it was really old when I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, classic rock, metal, acoustic rock, etc. and it really fits with me because it can change to what you want it to. I've been playing for 2 years and I have this amp, an Epiphone les paul, an Electra les paul, a burswood electric, a Takamine acoustic- electric, a silver tone acoustic, a DigiTech hotrod distortion pedal, a remo drum set, a keyboard, anda Crate amp and a burswood g-10 amp. If it got stolen I would definetly go and buy another one! // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: mrmystic, on march 19, 2010

Features: This amp is great for a practice amp, but is lacking in some features. I really feel it would be nice for it to have at least reverb, but for a beginner it has plenty of features. It has two channels, lead and clean. It also has the option of Modern or Vintage, the Vintage is a little bit more treble-y while the Modern is more Mid-focused. It has a head phone and CD player jack. I use it in my room as a practice amp, it has more than enough power to piss off the neighbors so I tend to leave the volume pretty low. // 4

Sound: I am using an old and cheap single coil Hamer through it. If I had a better guitar the tone might be a bit better, but I doubt it would be great for anything. The amp is decent for most music styles but it does not seem to excel at anything. It has more gain than anyone could ever want, with the gain at 8 you cannot pick out notes anymore, it is just a constant roaring of fuzz. The clean stays clean even at high volumes as far as I can tell, but I tend to leave the volume under 75% since my neighbors don't care for any noise. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to have any issues with it and this thing is around 10 years old. If I had to use it for a gig I would trust it, I just don't feel the tone is that great for me to use it in a gig. This amp has even been dropped down a flight of stairs and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from the blues, to some prog metal, and the tone is very flexible but it just is not great at anything. I have been playing this time for a year, but I play with this amp for around 6 months back when I first got it. I use a OS-2 pedal with it since, I am not the biggest fan of the gain on this amp. If this amp was stolen I would probably get a better amp if I could afford it, but for the price it would be worth it. I wish it had built in reverb, and I wish the tone was a little better. // 6

Rage 158 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2010

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: I got this amp in a deal when I purchased my Ibanez GIO from an online auction. I had previously used my friends Rage 158 when I ran a ESP LTD Alexi-600 through it, gave a mean distortion and crystal clean channel had me wanting one of my own to begin a new musical journey. Features a Clean/Lead toggle, the volumes are split between the two with no master volume. The Lead also features a pre gain for its own distortion. On the Equalization end there is a Modern/Vintage toggle. The modern fit perfect for metal style of play, allowing brighter harmonics and a stronger feeling attack while the Vintage gives a warmer feel and more grain in cleans for playing blues. Headphone and CD input, never used either but handy to have. For the price there are a decent range of sounds and tones available. // 8

Sound: Loud but not powerful enough for a gig sadly as this would be a perfect first time amp for beginner giggers. The clean channel of the amp is fantastic, offering clear tones and notes for classical playing, creating soft and mournful ballads for any guitar lover, mixed with the Vintage channel with flat mids, medium high bass and 3/4 highs allows for a perfect sound for blues, or at least in the style of Zakk Wylde pieces such as 'Farewell Ballad' and 'Stillborn Acoustic'. The Lead channel is brilliant, bringing out the harmonics and heavy sound to rival almost any other gain amp I have tried. It fits well with thrash metal such as Megadeth, Metallica and bands along the line of Black Sabbath. However, as good as all this is switching between these two channels can be a little annoying, without a foot Switch you have to flick the toggles each time you wish to play a different style, breaking the flow. However this is a minor gripe and only just makes an impact // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't have much to say on this due to me taking extreme care of everything I use, but from other reviews I would assume this could handle abuse, and it has never once given me trouble with reliability, even though its second hand gear, which in its own in some musical instruments and amps is an achievement on its own as my style of music can be very abusive itself. // 10

Overall Impression: THIS AMP IS THE PERFECT STARTER AMP! Taking out the minor annoyance of the toggles this amp is perfect for newbies who wish to take their love of music, or the love of fauning girls into action. If your looking for a cheap, hardy amp that will give you the sounds, tone and warmth of any high end Peavey amp, while giving the clarity of some low class Marshalls. So for the money you pay this is a perfect amp to begin your highway to hell with. I wouldn't buy another however if it was destroyed or stolen, as wonderful as this amp is I feel the need for a larger gig ready amplifier. However I have been won over to Peavey by this amp and will be looking for an amp this wonderful from them again. // 9

Rage 158 Reviewed by: Artemis Entreri, on april 06, 2012

Features: This was the first amp I bought with my very first electric guitar, I must say it served me quite well. It had enough features to keep me satisfied for quite a while. A clean and distortion channel with a three band EQ strip and a bright switch. There's not much more you can ask for on a cheap starter amp. It also provided a CD input and headphone jack which I must admit I never used. At 15 watts through an 8 inch speaker it provided enough power to rock out in my room and at gigs for my parents yet not enough to get evicted. It lacks the built in effects of modern day modelers but this was a plus to me. Something to keep in mind, anyway. // 8

Sound: I'll be recommending this amplifier over the new, entry level modelers for a while yet to come. The quality of sound is significantly better than anything I've heard from the comparable MG, Spider or Frontman. It also lacks the cheesy effects, which some may see as a disadvantage but I was quite alright with it. The clean channel is pretty sterile but quite usable, typical of a cheap solid state amp. The distortion channel is pretty incredible all things considered. The gain on tap isn't tremendous, single coils are limited to more of an "overdrive" but I could reach metal-esque tones with my PRS. Most importantly it's clear, notes are audible in chords and solo lines stand out quite well. It is somewhat noisy, though I used mine to record for quite some time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't swear by it's reliability, it's obviously cheaply constructed yet mine hasn't failed me in 6 years. It will far outlast any up and coming guitar player. // 10

Overall Impression: This is still my first recommendation for students and friends looking for a starter amp. It's versatile, just loud enough and durable. I haven't found a reason to get rid of mine yet, though I've collected quite a few amps over the years. I've sold quite a few too, but never this one. It keeps a safe place in my old bedroom, which I guess is now the guest room of my parent's house. You'll notice that I rated the features as 8 but gave the overall impression a 10. Some may be put off by the lack of effects but for an 80 dollar amp I don't think a beginner can do any better. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014