Rage 258 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 02/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Rage 258
It features Peavey's Transtube, so you can have kind of 3 different sounds. For playing only metal and harder styles with your own distortion pedal, it is satisfying and not so disappointing.
 6.8
 6.5
review (1) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Rage 258 Reviewed by: m4te, on february 06, 2012

Price paid: € 150

Features: It features Peavey's Transtube, so you can have kind of 3 different sounds. It features a weak passive EQ, clean and lead channel. Only headphones jack (when you plug it in, the amp doesn't play). The EQ is really really weak, you can't almost notice it and it's really bad. Cannot compare at all to my other Yamaha Fifty112. The overdrive (lead channel) is like a joke, it is so weak and has very strange sound, maybe if I wanted to play country I would use it. It has 25Watts RMS, which can't really be used in rehearsal room (which I thought it could), but it's enough for home playing. // 5

Sound: I'm using it with Peavey Raptor Plus EXP, usually on both single coils. I play mostly metal and harder styles, so I use a distortion pedal (cheapest one off shop, < 20eur) and it handles it pretty well, I'm overally not so disappointed with the sound of distortion. The bad thing about this amp are the cleans. They are distorted like s..t. I can't really play on the clean channel, because it literally hurts my ears (on the same guitar I get beautiful clean sound with my Yamaha). It is below-average noisy, which is a positive. Although the 3 types of sounds it can make via Transtube, the variety of the sounds it can make isn't really large, thanks to really bad EQ and no bright/tone settings. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm playing it at home and never transport it, and so far I think it will last (have it for 3 years now without any problems). This can't be used on a gig, since it's 25W, but I wouldn't really use it on a gig even if it had enough power, just because of the small variety of sounds and overally the sound. // 9

Overall Impression: The largest problem of this amp are the EQ and the clean channel. Both are really, really bad compared to my Yamaha. If it had better working EQ and a knob for shape/tone, it would be much better. Also, it would be perfect, if it had clean sound, which it really doesn't. But, for playing only metal and harder styles with your own distortion pedal, it is satisfying and not so disappointing. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014