Solo Series Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Solo Series Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 12, 2008

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Colosimo's Music

Features: This amp does very well for what I need in a practace amp. it doesn't have channel switching becuase it's only 15Wats. But this is the toughest little amp you'll ever get, I have had it for just over a year now. I dropped it down my steps once becuase I was bringing it to my friends house so we could Jam together, and the amp was still in perfect shape, no dent's, scratches or broken speaker, I was completely blown away by this. This amp his fairly decent dist. and a very nice Clean. The Dist. is good for punk, hard rock, clean music and blues, which is basicly all I play. The amp is Trans Tube so you don't get any problems like with the normal Tube amp. This thing does have a headphone jack and a Jack for putting your CD's/ MP3's in, so you can play along with some music. For something that is 15W, I expected it would be a tiny bit louder, but it is fine for what I need. // 7

Sound: I use a Fender Strat with this amp, and it sounds good enough for me. The Strat has Single Coil pickups, which are noisy, but good enough for what I need. This amp is only noisy when you turn the Middle and High settings up past 8. It sounds better in the Warmer weather, like when I play outside in like, 25 Degrees celsuis.(about 80 Degrees Ferinheight)The distortion can be Kinda brutal when there's max Low, Overdrive and High, with no Middle.It sounds very punkish then. When this amp is turned up loud, the Clean pretty much only gets louder, except when you have distortion and volume on Max, then it sounds pretty bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I depend very much on this amp, becuase it's my only nice sounding amp.my Other amp has terrible everything so I never use it.I would never use this at a gig cause it's only a practace amp.But this amp has never broken, or ever needed servicing becuase it'r very durable and reliable.And as I said earlier, I dropped this thing down my stairs and it was in Perfect shape, this thing is built like a Tank! // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a very good for The Music I play, Like I said earlier it has decent distortion for metal, rock and blues and a great Clean for well, clean stuff.I have only been playing for about a year now, but I am better then you would expect the average 1 year player to be. I own as Fender Strat, but I am getting a Dean Guitar soon. If this thing was stolen, I don't think I would buy another one becuse it's only a practace amp, and I would need something bigger as I progressively got better at Guitar.I like the overall sound of the amp, but I just wish it has more features built into it. Like a trmolo control, another Gain knob, and some more features. When I was looking for Amps, I also looked at the Roland Cube, and a couple other small amps. but I got this one becuase it was Bigger and had more features built into it, The Peavey Solo also had more Wats, Which was obviously Good. // 8

Solo Series Reviewed by: Rhoads_1096, on may 27, 2009

Purchased from: Ross Music

Features: This is a Peavey Solo D amplifier made in China. It has one channel and has a built in overdrive with a level control. It has a headphone jack and a jack to plug in a CD or mp3 player. It is 12w and it is pretty powerfull for home use. It's just a simple solid state amp. // 7

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through this amp and play everything fromm blues, jazz, classical, rock, and metal. It is a versatile little amp and can do these sounds, just not well. It is noisy on every setting but it increases with gain or volume. It can do every sound but the overdrive just sounds terrible at every setting. Htere is always a popping and rattling sound and it cracks with bass past five. The clean channel doesn't get distorted until the amp is on ten and even then you have to pick hard. This is a decent starter amp but ounce you develope a sense of what sounds good and what tone you want it just doesn't cut it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very cheaply made and the parts are not very durable. I wouldn't gig with it simply because it sounds bad. I take good care of it but after a few years it starts to fall apart. I use it for jamming with other guitarist and that is the only use it gets where it has to leave the house. // 5

Overall Impression: This is a good starter amp and I will recomend it but when you get better it isn't enough. I don't want to discourage anybody from not geting this its just a cheap started amp so you should know what too expect. This can do any style just not very well. i have een playing for too years and own this along with a Vox AC50 and my Epiphone. I would not buy this again if it was lost or stolen because I have a better amp now. I compared this after I bought it too many Orange, Vox, Marshall, Crate, and Roland amps all are more expensive and they just blow it away, but you get what you pay for. I wish it had some built in reverb and some built in effects too. Overall it is a great starter amp and if you want it go for it! // 6

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014