Studio Pro 112 Review

8.3
 5.2
reviews (4) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Studio Pro 112 Reviewed by: Cold Reader, on october 07, 2011

Purchased from: Strings Guitar Centre (Local)

Features: I got this transtube amp probably 2 and a half to 3 years ago. It was pre-owned and had an appealing price. It's got 2 inputs, clean and distortion channels with seperate EQ settings for both, a pretty bad reverb and a "T.Dynamics" knob (basically more power at low volumes). The Clean channel has a modern and Vintage switch and the distortion has vintage, modern or high gain. These options are nice to have but mine tended to stay on the modern settings out of personal preference and the awful tone on the high gain setting. However there's pretty good choice for the price I paid, even though the tones weren't the best (my bronze series B.C. Rich Warlock sounds the same as my Diamond series Schecter Blackjack ATX). It also comes with a footswitch between clean and distortion, this broke within the first year and I'm still not too sure why... // 6

Sound: I've mainly been playing metal and hard/alternative rock (Lamb Of God, All Shall Perish, Breaking Benjamin) and it's not been too bad, had I not played on any other amps, I would have said it held up fairly well. This amp is pretty good as a larger practice amp, that's basically what I've been using it as. I recently got into recording and sticking an SM-57 in front of it almost works, again it would be nice to have some more guitar tone come out in the distortion, but clean is pretty nice. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp has survived pretty well. I've taken it around a fair bit and I think has only taken one hard bump. It's never broken, is pretty sturdy and would be able to handle gigs no problem. Never had a knob or switch come off or not quite work properly, the only thing that went wrong was the switch pedal just stopped working after a year (it was second hand, so it may well have lasted 4-5 years). // 8

Overall Impression: A great amp when I first got it, however it is really a step above a practice amp. I've been playing for 5 years now and I think it's time for something a bit better. If you can get a second hand one and you've not been playing long then it's not a bad amp, loud enough to be heard above drums and able to gig with it. // 5

Studio Pro 112 Reviewed by: bouncintophish, on june 15, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: 2 Channels, foot switchable if you have it. Its trans tube, no idea what that means, go look it up. High gain input and low gain input, FX send return. Speaker out, as if this wasn't loud enough already. // 9

Sound: Clean channel has a button for bright, it sounds good, especially on single coil. Great reverb, crank it all the way up and you get an awesome sound on the clean channel. On the lead channel, you have a gain button, and thrash button. Thrash is more fuzzy, gain has a lot of crunch. Keep both buttons off and you get a lighter gain, press them both you get well, a really muddy sound. I use a cheap strat with a bridge humbucker, clean sounds great on the single coils, lead is awesome with the humbucker. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just got it, so I don't know. It was used, and it works. Its built like a tank, no BS on this sucker. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for metal, even clean. You can't get as warm as a tube like a Fender, but its awesome. I'd buy it again if it was stolen. // 9

Studio Pro 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2012

Features: I am pretty sure this amp is the 1997 american made model it has high and low gain jacks it has a gain thrash and bright switches and it sounds really good it has 65 watts and it is loud enough for my entiree school to hear when I am playing and that is when it ia at less than a quarter way as loud as it can go and I don't ususally use effects it can easily overpower our pa system. // 8

Sound: I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Special and it sounds really good and I use it for really anything it is suited well for the music I play like my alternative band. It is crazy loud and that is why my mom hates it it has only the overdrive used by going into the gain channel but it is good for a classic kind of feeling with the distortion and I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has been through hell because it was my brothers then he gave it to my other brother and then he gave that to me and it may not look pretty it has held up for 14 years and till this day it is holding together nicely and I don't give a damn who says she looks like crap she is beautiful in my eyes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alternative it is a nice match and I have been playing for about 6 or 7 years and I own a cheap ass amp a and a cheap ass bass amp and I own a Fender bass and an Ovation Applause. I do not regret keeping this amp it is sooo good and if it were stolen I would hunt who ever stole it and steal it back going all road house on their ass and it would be hard to lose it is a huge amp but if it were lost I would buy another but the American made model and this is the perfect amp for me I love it and I recommend you buy one. // 10

Studio Pro 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2012

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: owner

Features: It's a 1-12, 65 watt transtube amp. It does NOT have a tube in it. It never breaks. It's not as loud as a 50 watt tube amp but it covers most situations. It's a pocket Bandit (a great SS amp but heavy). Peavey players will recognise the features; it's a Red Stripe, a particular generation, made in China and quite well, very sturdy. Sturdiness is a very nice feature, hmmm? Good tone controls and options, flick a switch interface. Lots of ins and outs on back, send and return, speaker, etc. Nice. Manual online at Peavey.com, I read it before trying and buying mine. I also AB'd a Transtube Bandit against several midprice tube amps; the Bandit sounded better than everything but a Fender Blues Deluxe. // 9

Sound: I use this with P90 guitars and a Tech 21 Blonde character pedal, great device; together they're 8.5/10, very nice sound. Onboard reverb sounds fine for me. I play mainly solo rock and r&b, fairly loud, often in open tunings with a slide. The amp and modeler together sound great, rich analog distortion. The onboard distortion is adequate for blues and soul applications. You can run straight into this amp and have a good sound for rock or blues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Peavey. They really are very reliable. What servicing? Keep the contacts clean, change the speaker if you like or need to. // 9

Overall Impression: People complain that when you buy a Peavey, the resale value is peanuts. Well, sure, but you can use these amps for a big piece of your life, they sound good, and even new they're not expensive compared to alternatives. I recently had the chance to A/B a roomfull of amps, and the Peavey Bandit came in second to a Fender Blues Deluxe. Right after I picked up a Studio Pro, wanted a Transtube bigger than the Envoy 110, Bandit was too heavy and big for me. You can gig these amps, a lot of my peers (part timers) do. I love mine. It weighs 15 kilograms, neither feather nor brick, it's loud, the tone is crunchy and warm. Oh yeah, and it's cheap. Why sell it? I've been playing since I was 13, don't ask. I've never owned a boutique amp, but I've owned good Fenders, Bandmaster and Bassman. I currently own a Super Champ XD, great device. The studio pro and the Blonde do the job just as well, louder, for a LOT less than the price of a boutique tube amp. If I lost it I'd find another one cheap and buy it. Nice amp. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ PXD Twenty-Three III 8.8 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014