Transtube 212 EFX Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 01/31/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Transtube 212 EFX
80 watts' compact, portable, and well-priced amplifier. New style switches that control five different amp sounds. 8 efects: flanger, delay, octaver, touch wha, reverb, rotating speaker, chorus, phaser, and tremolo.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 9.2
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
reviews (6) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Features: 2002 Peavey 212 solid state combo amp. Fairly versatile for rock, and metal. I don't think jazz players would like this amp. 2 Channels, a clean and a lead (distorted) channel. Tha amp comes with a footswitch to switch channels, and create some effects presets. Unfortunatly, you can't save the presets. If you turn the amp off and on again, you have to reset them. 9 digital effects,(7 + reverb&delay). Very loud for an 80 watt 212 combo. It feels powerful. Speaker out jack to connect another 212 or 412 cabinet (8 ohm minimum). Presence and T. dynamics controls. Resonance switch control, 3 different amp settings on lead, and 2 on clean. More than enough features for an amp in this price range. // 10

Sound: I've spent about 3 weeks with this amp now...I've finally figured it out. It's not the easiest amp to get a great sound out of, but once you find your settings, it's sounds amazing. First of all, it's a VERY powerful amp. The lead channel on 3 knocks pictures off my walls. The clean will do the same at about 5 or 6. The pregain at about 6 with a good humbucker in the bridge will give you all the distortion anyone should need. The amp doesn't break up at these volumes. I haven't pushed it past 3 on the lead, because that's loud enough. The eq is great, you really need to mess with it to get a good warm rich sound. I use low-7 , mid-5, high-7 with the switch in High-Gain setting. Same on the clean channel. Distortion is nice. Very heavy, but has a fullness and warmth to it. The T.dynamics control is cool. If you are playing a low volume, roll it to the left, and th amp sounds more overdriven. The louder you go, roll it clockwise, and you get more power, more harmonics, etc... Let's talk about the effects. Honestly, none of them sound too good with the lead channel with the exception of the phaser. They all work pretty well with the clean channel though. I prefer outboard effects. If you get this amp, make sure you have a good noise gate to keep it under control. I run a boss DD-3 delay and a DBX compressor/gate through the loop with all shielded pro-co cables, and the rig is dead silent until I play something. Bottom line, This is a great starting point for a loud, powerful, rock or metal 212 rig. The onboard effects seem to take away from the great tone of the amp. I use a Wolfgang standard, and Fender Strats with Dimarzio Fasttrack 2's in the bridge. They both sound fantastic. I've got strats with HS's which sound ok, but the amp sounds better with humbucker's Nothing else I've played really comes close in this price range. I compared the Peavey with a Line 6 Flextone II, and a Fender Ultra chorus DSP. The Line 6's sound a little better, but are about $250 more expensive, and don't seem to have the raw power of this amp. The Fender sounds nice, but again didn't have the same type "power" as the Peavey. The other 2 may work better in a studio, but as for playing in club or anywhere live, I need volume and strong distortion over 17 different amp models and 35 effect presets. The Peavey has the volume hands down. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I've played it at least an hour a day for 3 weeks. No problems what-so-ever. No weird noises, no crackles, no hiccups. It's silent when I turn it on, and silent when I turn it off. I take pretty good care of my equipment. I always run everything through a good surge protector, and use shielded cables. The only thing I don't like is that the frame of the front covering covers about an inch of the speakers on each side. I don't know if this really effects the sound, but Peavey should have made the amp about 2 inches wider to correct this. Other than that, the amp feels very solid. It's really heavy, like 55 lbs or something. Based on my past experience with Peavey, I trust this amp. My other Peavey equipment (Wolfgang Standard & 412 cabinet) has never given me any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 14 years. I've only ever really liked Peavey and Fender guitars and amps. Like I said, once you dial in a good tone, you are set. A good tone is like a painting. Start off clean. Add a little bass, mid, treble until you get the eq right. Then add your distortion...then add a little delay and compression. Screw the onboard effects, In my opinion they detract from a very strong amp. I'm in to Eddie, R. Rhoads, Linkin Park, Led Zeppelin, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Kid Rock, Hendrix, No doubt, Slayer, Shakira (!). All kinds of different stuff, but this is really just a good solid rock/metal 212 combo. Peace! // 10

Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Features: This amp is simply awesome, it can provide any kind of playing styles you desire. It has double imputs and onboard effects. Some effects are flanger, phaser, funk wah, octavater, rotary spkr, reverb, delay and more. I mainly use this amp in my room. // 10

Sound: When i play i use an Ibanez RG270DX witch i think is meant for this amp. The amp itself delivers 100 watts. It doesn't really matter how loud you play the thing...it always has a great quality. The loudest i had it in the house was on #2.5 and at that it is super loud (it goes up to 10). Outside my friend and i had it on 5 and he heard it a long ways down the road. (Clearly) // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable, i would definatly use it for gigs wihtout backup amps. I have had it for about 8 months now and it have never broke down on me. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years now and this amp is amazing. There isnt much i dont like about this amp...but i do wish it had a CD imput. Personally, if i were to buy a Mesa Boogie or Marshall with the exact same features it would cost about $700 more....with Peavey, you arnt paying for the name. If your looking for a great amp with lots of features, but the Peavey Transtube212 // 10

Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Features: I believe that this amp was manufactured in 2001. Features include: clean channel (vintage, modern; 3 band EQ), lead channel (vintage, high gain, modern; pre-post gain; 3 band EQ), digital effects (tremolo, flanger, phaser, chorus, funk wah, octaver, rotary speaker, delay, and reverb). The amp also has presence, resonance (tight vs. loose), and a power dynamics function (10%-100%). The power dynamics function is really cool for guys like me that live in an apartmentl; can't play loud; but still desire to have the sound quality of an amp cranked up really loud. The digital effects are mediocre to good. They do the job and are pretty darn good. Presets can be saved, but are forgotten when the amp is turned off, which is a real bummer. Oh yea... that reminds me... the footswitch can control channel, effects, and delay/reverb... it can also be set-up to switch between 3 presets. // 8

Sound: I use a Yamaha Mike Stern guitar (like a tele) with a humbucker at the neck and a hot rails single coil at the bridge. My styles range from blues, folk, old school punk (bad religion, minor threat, pennywise... not that sum 41; blink 182 crap), some nu-metal, some old metal... pretty much anything but country and rap/hip-hop. This amp is VERY versatile. It covers all of the bases. I get a great metal sound when I want to play metal (like a soudano or mesa), a great marshall-esque sound for punk, and suprisingly, truly crisp and clear clean sounds for jazz and folk. A friend has me learning some chilli peppers songs and I get a perfect chilli peppers sound when I switch to the neck pick-up and put the lead channel to the vintage setting. I dabble with the effects a little bit, and I don't really lay them on very thick, so they sound great to me, but they might leave something to be desired for those of you that are hardcore into effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 12 years. I have owned many Fender combos and this one can hold its own when placed next to them, which is a pretty extraordinary feat (it can truly sound like a tube amp if you want it to). If it were stolen, I would probably get another one. I also tried out a Line 6 spider while looking at this amp, and this amp sounded better. I was also looking into a Fender Hotrod Deville 4x10.. but the deville didn't have any effects except reverb. I wish that presets could be saved and that there were more options with the footpedal, but all in all, its ok. For the price, this amp cannot be beat.; If you buy it, you will definately be happy with it, no matter what you play. A lot of people rag on Peavey products (I was one of them!), but this amp really rocks! // 10

Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2007

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: The amp I have was made in 2003. This amp is very fuctional and versatile, with 2 channels (clean and dirty) a bad ass foot swith with programmable presets an effects loop input it is awesome. As far as feautures I wish it had I don't think this thing is missing any at all the are all there 9 effects built in. I just play this thing at home (I am not in a band or anything). It is very load even at a low level. // 9

Sound: I have the B\.C\. Rich Bronze Warlock with 2 pickups (SD Demon at the bridge and SD Pearly Gates at the neck) I mostly like to play rock. The amp is not very noisy at all it plays nice and clean as well as very dirty. The disortion is good for all rock. The sound is great I think for just about any stle of playing. I have a friend that has had a Marshall 112 for about 2 years and he went to trade it in for the efx 112 at the local shop just to have all the effects on the amp with having to buy all the pedals to do so. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has held up very well the only thing wrong with it is a pot stem broke but still works (I have a new one on order). This amp is very stout and would withstand just about anything I think. For the money retail 699.99 this amp is a little steep but well worth it. I have had other amps in the past and I really like the way this one plays and sounds. You can not go wrong with this amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock and this is a very good amp for that style. I have been playing guitar for about 8 years I also have a Fender Strat (great for clean playing) and I have a full stack Crate at my parents house. If I ever lost this thing I would buy it again if I had the money I came up on this one on accident (I was at the tattoo shop waiting for my artist to get there to talk to him about doing some more work and while I was waiting I went next door to the pawn shop and there it was marked down to 175 and I told them I would give them 100 cash out the door they took it and I was happy but the tattoo will have to wait I stole the bitch good). Retail for Peavey is 699.99 the coolest thing this small amp has is the 4 button pedal switch way cool most only have 2 or 3. // 10

Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: maddrumer, on january 13, 2007

Purchased from: Good News Music

Features: This amp is totally awesome. I think the year is 2002. It is perfect for rock, blues, funk, pretty much anything you want to play, and it can power an external speaker cab, so it can be as loud as you want. there are two channels, clean and lead, it comes with a footswitch to toggle between them. The amp also has nine internal effects (tremelo, funk wah, phaser, flanger, rotary speaker, and chorus) they sound decent, but not if you are a pro. Anways, who buys an amp for the effects? the real stor is in the sound. On the clean channel, you can switch between a Vintage tube sound (perfect) and a modern sound (pretty good) and on the lead channel, you can switch between Vintage, modern and high gain (all top notch). The best part is a tube sound is perfectly acheived with no actual tubes. One can use this amp on any gig up to a medium size. Bigger then that, you can plug a cab into it and you're set. 100 watts is plenty. In a previous reveiw, somebody stated that prestets for the effects can't be saved to the foot switch. Apparently, if you turn off the amp you loose your presets. I am here to tell you that this is compleatly false. If you read your manuel, you will find a riddiculously complicated and hard to understand process that will save presets even if you unplug the amp. // 9

Sound: I am using a Fender '70s strat (see my reveiw) with Seymour Duncan hotrails in the bridge, cool rails in the middle and Vintage rails in the neck (all humbuckers) And I am telling you this amp will scream! With a good humbucker. I play everything from jazz to punk to eighties hair band music and all the bases are covered. It does take a while to get a good tone, but take your time and you will be pleased. The clean channel is just that; clean all the way up to ten. The distortion can go anywhere fron a little gain, to enough to make your mind explode. Best amp I have ever played on, it whoops any Marshall, Roland, and most fenders. Unbeliveable! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is indestructable. It weighs like sixty pounds. I do use it at gigs without a backup. weather this is because I don't need to or because I sold my last amp, I will let you decide. Never broken down, and a buddy once dropped it down a flight of stairs right before the talent show. I reattached to cord, and used it that night. // 10

Overall Impression: Any music, any time any day. I have been playing for five years. I don't own another amp, but I am in a band and play on other peoples equiptment, and they all want to trade. I play with a les paul standard, and a Godin montreal, and my strat of course the amp is as close to perfect as it gets. // 10

Transtube 212 EFX Reviewed by: jackson guitars, on january 31, 2007

Purchased from: Pawn shop

Features: You can play any style with this amp. You can get any sound (except heavy distortion) with out buying any pedels. All effects are built right in. There is a two chanel- Clean chanel, witch has Vintage or modern options to it. Lead Chanel also has modern and Vintage options. This is the chanel where you can get some high gain, but not heavy heavy distortion. It has referb, delay, eight effects (funk way, chorus, and fazer to name a few.) It is a two speeker, 300 watt tube amp. It has an effect loop but no head phone jack. // 9

Sound: I use Duncan designed pick ups on a DX6 Jackson guitar. Clean chanel sounds prefect. I run a cheap little distortion pedel through the clean chanel and it sounds just the way I want it to. I have my guitar on middle volume and my distorter on all middle settings, I can only have the amp's valume between 1 and 2 (goes to nine). It can be loud when I need it to be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Perfect for the 6 months I have had it. It is very dependable. plays large range of music. You can have many effects on it. You can make techno sounds very easily or pug in a distortion pedel for an extra kick. Sounds bext on Clean with distortion pedel. I believe it was worth $700.00 when it first came out and is now discontinued. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything but Blues and Jazz (wouldn't recomend this amp for those styles). The amp can go from slipnot to Blink 182. I have been playing for two years. I own a Ibanez Rg 470 and it sounds great on it too. It doesn't matter what guitar you use this amp makes it sound great. The amp works best for metal, but surprizingly you can get some good techno sounds out of it. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014