Transtube Special 212 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 09/30/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Transtube Special 212
Features: two 12" Sheffield speakers driving 130 Watts at 8 Ohms (or 200 Watts at 4 Ohms), three footswitchable controls and a footswitchable effects loop.
With the Peavey patented T. Dynamics control, the amp volume can be lowered while still maintaining the desired tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 9.3
 8.5
 9.3
 7.6
reviews (8) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: AllPlayDead666, on october 11, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I believe this is a 2004 made. This amp is amazing, the clean still stays clean on 5, the dirty can do anything from blues, to the heaviest death metal rage! 3 channels all are awesome! I use about all the features, it has a ton, and they are all so great, you have to use it! the effects loop is good. I believe it is in stereo, so that rules! This amp can do just about any tube sound around. This thing is powerfull as hell, turned it up, and I could keep up with my friends half stack! No problem! Not to mention the ability to add extra cabs easily helps! // 10

Sound: I use a BC Rich NJ warlock, ESP EX-350, M-100 with EMG's, and a F-50, and they all sound pretty decent on it. A bit much crunch with the ESP's but still good! It suits all my musical style needs. It's not very noisy at all, this amp can make almost any sound imaginable. The clean channel stays pretty clean even at high volumes. The distortion can rip your face off, or just give you a bit of a clean overdrive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would gig without a backup, it seems well built, and I would rely on it for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and blues and it matches those styles well. I have been playing guitar for 3 years, and I have owned a lot of other Peavey and Marshall amps, and this one blows them all away. I would buy another one quickly if it were stolen. I like just about everything on this amp, except that the dirty channels share an EQ. I compared it to so many other amps, Marshall, Mesa, Fender, Crate, it beat them all. It is a great amp, it's pretty much all I need out of an amp. // 10

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: obilisk, on october 12, 2005

Purchased from: Local guitar shop (used)

Features: This is a 2004 model, I don't know where it was made. This amp is increadably versitile, I mostly play rock/punk/ska/metal and it can do all of them perfictly. It has 3 channels, (clean, lead, and ultra). However don't be fulled because you can switch between modern and vintage sounds on all of them, and on the lead channel it had a high gain mode. On the ultra channel it has an ultra distortion feature this is more then enough distortion for death metal. The only feature I wish it had was a headphone jack, because there isn't one. I use this amp in my bedroom however it never goes above the 2 marker w/volume this thing could fill a bar easy, or a concert hall. It's solid state but the transtube is increadable. // 9

Sound: I switch between a Telecaster w/single coils and a Epiphone Les Paul Special w/humbucklers. This thing can do any style I need blues/punk/funk/metal classic rock. It is really great at capturing that warm tube sound. It's noiseless, if you ever do hear any noise (I haven't yet) you can flip the polarity. The clean channel never gets distored but I haven't been above 6 (6 is loud enough for a gig). The distortion is amazing and may be a bit much for even most metal players. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would never gig without a backup anything because anything can happen but I don't think this thing is gonna break anytime soon. Peavey's are built like tanks. It hasn't broke on me yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk/blues/classic rock, and this is perfect. I have been playing for 2 years and I own this and a bunch of pedals. But this amp is my pride and joy. I do wish I had asked if there was a headphone jack, but it hasnt been that big of a problem. I don't know if I could afford to buy it again I got a great deal on this (used) and I don't know if I can afford it new. I compared this to a Fender FM110, a Crate Tube amp, a Crate 65w SS, and a Peavey Studio, I choose this because it was so veristile. This amp is a monster! // 10

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2007

Features: 3 channels: clean, thrash and ultra with foot pedal. Solid state amp with high voltage transistors so as to mimic vacuum tube amplifiers. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Good for just about any style of play from really thick to clear distortion to muddy bluesy stuff. // 8

Sound: I suppose the sounds is pretty good. I do notice a marked improvement using this amp with humbucker pick-ups over my old strat single coils. It's amazingly clean at high volume. I would say a tube amp still offers better sound quality but I am quite amazed with how good this thing sounds for a solid state. I play mostly metal and shred guitar and it works reasonably well for that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I bought this thing in 1997 and it's held up through all kinds of crap. There is a bit of twitchyness when you turn the knobs now-a-days resulting in some static but otherwise it's all there. I've never serviced it and that's saying a lot considering that I used to crank this thing all the time and it's still got enough power to blow your freaking head off. // 10

Overall Impression: Great amp for the price but then again Peavey is good at this. I would definetly recommend it for a practice amp or even to gig with. As I said before it's pretty good for just about any style of music. This of course also means that it doesn't really excel at any one thing either. I would most certainly buy this amp again especially given the low price. A cranked Marshall stack will still sound better but then again it's 2-3 times the price. Also a delay and chorus would be a great addition to this amp. Since this amp is geared toward multitasking a delay section and chorus would be a great addition nsaving me the need for a separate pedal. // 10

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: dasmonkey, on september 23, 2010

Purchased from: roberson music, El Dorado, Arkansas

Features: I bought mine when I was 18, so we're talking about 12 years ago. I have moved with this thing over 5 times, played god knows how many gigs, spilled an unimaginable amount of beer, whiskey, etc on and in it. It has been used, abused, and has never let me down once. I used it by itself for years, then used it with a 4x12 Fender cab for a few years. The sound I get from this thing is just epic. It is so loud, and powerful. My band mates kept complaining that I was too loud, which I was, but that just tells you how powerful this thing is. I bought it used, guy bought it, and his wife made him return it, for maybe $200. I have considered buying a new amp, but I just cannot justify it, It is so reliable, powerful, and just an amazing piece of hardware. As you can see I am very fond of this amp, but to take the level of abuse it has, and still perform as well as it does (after all these years, and gigs), is just phenominal. I play mostly Hard Rock, and some Metal, touch of funk, and It handles it like a pro. It has a selector foot switch, but I just use my Boss pedals, they fit my sound better. // 10

Sound: It sounds not as good as a Marshall, but then I didn't pay Marshall prices. The highs can be a bit much with my Strat, but that's mostly my lack of willingness to change settings from my Explorer to any other guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it with a variety of guitars. I use Strats, Tele's, an Ibanez Talman, Gibson Explorer studio, and an Dean Explorer copy. It doesn't matter what I use with this thing, It rolls with it, and kills it. I've noticed minimal distorting at volume, but with age and all it has seen, there is quite a bit of static when you change settings. I have not ever cleaned this thing though. I have abused the hell out of it, and it takes it, almost challenging me to bring more. // 10

Overall Impression: I would buy this amp many times over. I imagine I will have this one for many years more, It sounds good as new overall. But the level of durability has just impressed me to no end. It is like the Jeep of Amps, It doesn't care what I do to it, it is just gonna do its job regardless, and ask for more. // 10

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: Jeffthecedar, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: Music 6000

Features: I got it used, so I'm not sure what year it was made. I think it's an older model, because it doesn't look like the new ones, and doesn't have all the same features. this amp is extremely versatile. I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, and metal, and this amp fits all those styles with ease. It has three channels: clean, ultra, and lead, and came with a footswitch. It has an effects loop, and there is a button to activate it on the footswitch. I wish it had a line out for recording into my PC. I'm not sure the exact wattage, (it was used and came with no manual or anything). However, it is more than loud enough for anything I plan on doing in the near future. It can easily be heard over drums, but also sounds great at lower volumes. If, for some reason, it's not loud enough, you can hook it up to a cabinet and get up to 600 extra watts that way. It is a transtube amp. I believe this means it has a tube preamp, but a solid state power amp. Don't trust me on that, as I'm not sure. // 9

Sound: I use it mostly with my Gibson Faded LP Special (neck: 490R alcino magnet humbucker; Bridge: 498T alcino magnet humbucker). As far as I can tell it suits all styles of music. It's not noisy at all, except if you turn the reverb up alot it makes a funny buzzing sound, but not too loud. It can make just about any sound imaginable. I havn't turned the clean channel up past 5 or so, and at that point it hadn't started to break up. Not sure if it will at higher volumes. The clean is warm if you want it to be, and twangy, sort of like a Fender. I love that tone. The distortion can go from slightly overdriven to absurdly brutal distortion that is easily enough to satisfy even the most hardcore metal-head. I love the tone of this amp. Because it is a transtube amp, you get an almost tube tone, at a fraction of the price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about five months and it was previously owned (I don't know for how long), and I have had no problems. I'd gig without backup, and have confidence in it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a good match for blues, all types of rock, metal, and just about every other style I can think of. I've been playing for about a year and a half. Before this, I had a beringer V-tone 15 Watt amp (yes it does suck). If it were stolen, I'd try to buy another, but I've never seen another of this specific model, so I might try to find a cheap all-tube combo instead. I love the huge amount of sounds you can get out of it, and how easy it is to get them. If it were stolen, I would find the whore who took it, and I would... make them an offer they couldn't refuse(for those of you who have read "The Godather"). The only thing I don't like is how bloody heavy the thing is. I dropped it on my foot once, and could barely walk. And I had a soccer game that night! I bought this amp because I was on a buget, and it was the best sounding amp I could find in my price range. It was used, and on sale so I got an amazing deal. Like I said, I wish it had a line out, and a headphones jack would be nice, but I am overall very happy with this amp. Love it to death. // 10

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2008

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This is an older model, not sure what year. It has to be the best solid-state amp I have ever played! It covers all musical styles from jazz, to country, to metal and everything in between. The model I have has 3 foot-switchable channels: clean, lead and ultra. It also has a foot-switchable effects loop. I use this as my one-and-only amp. Both for practice and for gigging. I have no trouble keeping up with the other guitarist Who is using a Crate 200 watt amp and (2) 4x12 cabs. I only have to crank up to 6 while he is pushing 9-10! The trans-tube is great. I can dial in my sound, then use the trans-tube to adjust the volume. Very tube-like compression. Not perfect, but very good. // 9

Sound: I use a Washburn x-50 guitar with emg humbuckers. I play several styles of music, depending on which band I'm playing with that night. I play some country (Johnny Cash style) some funk, lots of jazz, but mostly progressive rock (Perfect Circle-esque) and this amp is more than happy to deliver the goods. It's a very quiet amp, unless I have the ultra channel on the highest gain, then it has a slight hiss. The clean channel is clean. I mean Mr. clean clean. I haven't heard a tube amp with a better clean. It stays true all the way up to 8. I haven't gone past 8 because it Hurt my ears too much. The distortion channels are great, but could be a little better. Volume-wise, no gripes here. It'll blow the skirt off a girl from 5 blocks away! The tone does tend to get a bit muddy at higher volumes, though. Having said that, if you keep the volume at just above ear-shattering, it still sounds great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before, this is my only amp. Not because I can't afford another one, but because I don't need another one. I've dropped this amp off a 5-foot high stage, then went on to play a 2-hour show. Like most Peavey equipment, it's bulletproof. My band-mate's Crate has gone T/U on him at a few shows. He carries a Peavey for a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for just over 10 years. I chose this amp because I wanted a tube sound, but solid-state gigworthiness. I also wanted an amp that was as versitile as my playing styles. This amp seemed to be the best compromise. If it were stolen, I'd buy one that day to replace it. While I do prefer a true tube sound, this amp just never lets me down. Great tone and absolutely durable. I played just about every amp on the market before deciding to pick up this amp from my friend. I played the Mesa triple rec, several Marshalls, and a few Fenders, all tube amps, then I tried a Carvin tube-emulator amp. Didn't care too much for the Carvin. It was obviously solid-state. The Peavey seems to fool a lot of ears into thinking it's a tube amp. I can still tell, but not enough to care. // 9

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: Johnbryant, on july 18, 2008

Purchased from: Morgans Music

Features: For a Solid State amp it's really not too bad. This was my first real amp before getting a good tube amp, and it served me well. It's very versatile with three channels, clean, mid gain, and high. The OD channels sound a little sterile but hey it is solid state, the clean channel is better than the other channels IMO. For what this amp is it's pretty good at what it does, great second amp for a musician Who is looking for his tone, and wants something they can gig with. // 9

Sound: I played many guitars through this amp, from a Studio LP, to a 12 string Ric and every thing in between, and it sounds pretty bland with any guitar I tried, the guitars personality is just lost a bit. Like I said before it's okay amp for solid state, but would be good for someone looking for a nice versatile amp that is gig worthy. As far a tone and versatility, it has more gain than anyone should ever need, but can be tamed to get more Vintage mid-gain tones as well. You can definitely find a lot worse amps out there. The clean channel is the best thing the amp has going for it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Built super tough, I am not rough on my stuff, at least I try not to be, but this amp weighs a ton and is built tough, it traveled with me for 2 years with out any hitch what so ever. I always gig without a backup. Peavey stuff is alway buit extra heavy duty, I love them, they really make great equipment. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, and like I said it served me well, but I found the amp a bit sterile, I played guitar now for 7 years and have since owned many other amps. This amp was a privilege that allowed me to discover the types of tones I was looking for, and yet still be able to play at gigs and have a somewhat good tone. I have traded this piece of gear off, and would not buy it again, since I am all about tone now, I wish I would have started the tube amp journey when I bought this amp, I would have been better off, but hey the amp is what its. // 6

Transtube Special 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2011

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Kijiji

Features: The Peavey Special 212 has so many different sounds that you can get out of it. With its 3 channels, clean, lead and ultra, and a pre-gain and a post-gain for each channel, make it able to achieve a very high range of sounds from death metal to a great clean blues sound. The clean channel, is very good, even at a high volume. It is very crisp and has no or very little distortion. The foot petal has 3 led lights that indicate what channel is being used which is a great feature. It also comes with a 3 way toggle switch for switching the channels, in case you lose the petal (or forget it). // 10

Sound: The sound on this amp, like I said before has a very wide range of sounds. Our band plays classic rock and hard rock and everything in between, and this amp is awesome! There is minimal noise on all channels. The Distortion is also suitable for death core metal. Just crank the pre-gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely bring it to a gig with no back-up, as this amp is a solid unit. The amp has never broken down on me so far, although I have only had it for 3 months. This amp is practically bullet-proof. The thing whigs like 50 pounds, and unless they filled it with sand bags, it is a very well built. I mean its a Peavey... Nuf Said. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing music all my life and have own/heard lot of huge half stacks that are disappointing for their size, but this amp has some balls. It will very easily keep up with my friends half stack, and, Il be it, I think this is a little better. If this amp were to get stolen, I would go out and buy another one before I would make sure it was gone. I love everything, and hate nothing, awesome product. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014