Valve King 112 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 01/15/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Valve King 112
Peavey ValveKing amps feature a patented, variable Class A-A/B control called Texture, which allows sweepable selection between Class A and Class A/B power structures, as well as any combination of the two.
 Features: 8.4
 8.1
 8.5
 7.7
reviews (18) pictures (2) 76 comments vote for this gear:
Valve King 112 Reviewed by: CrimsonRoc, on november 14, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I play what ever sounds good, I've played anywhere from Metallica to Wes Montegomery, so I really test the range of the instruments and equipment i use. This amp has 2 channels, but the footswitch comes seperately. It has a send and a return. The footswitch jack for the channels is in the back of the amp. It can also hook into another cab from a jack in the rear. I really like all the features on this amp and use all of them, it has a bright button, which works great for clean leads, it has a volume boost and a gain boost button, and the a->a/b texture control works great and is also located in the rear panel. It also has a button for loose and tight ressonance. On top of that there in a master control for reverb, which sounds great, and 3 band EQs for both channels seperately. Each channel also has a seperate volume control. The overdrive channel also obviously has a gain control. It is definitely louder than i expected and with a cab attached, its stage worthy. And also obviously, it is a tube amp, not pos solid state. It was also surprising light. I give it a 9 becasue for the price, the features it has are great. // 9

Sound: I use a Schecter temptest blackjack with a duncan '59 and a JB. It cranks out whatever I put in. It seems to almost never be noisy, I have heard no feedback while the strings are muted on any channel. The clean channel does get more distorted on certain settings. (i.e., bright button on, volume boost on, and gain boost on) any combination of these gives you some feedback on the clean channel), and with the texture setting on A/B. Other than that it really stas pretty clear if you have the pick-ups for it. The distortion isn't overly brutal, but definitely much better than a Fender, but not quite Marshall. In other words, it's just fine, I'm planning on buying a Ibanez TS-808 for it though, because when I tried it it really put the distortion in a whole different class. I give it an 8 because it could have better cleans and better distortion, not much better, but just better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty rock solid. A couple of things in the back couls use some tightening, but that was probably because I bought a floor model. The 6l6 tubes are protected by a metal cover, but the pre-amp tubes are not. The are however in the back and they don't exactly stick out. I would gig with this without a backup because it has been pretty rock solid for a year. This is my practice amp, but after owning it for a while now, I'm considering getting a better cab, and hooking it into this amp. The tubes have been tested to the max and a still in perfect working order. Other than a regular testing, you really don't need to do anything to maintain this amp. 8 cause of the looseness and possibility of breakage. The tube cage seemed sturdy, but you never know, and I don't feel like breaking my tubes to try to find out. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing solidly for 8 years now and would never buy a different practice amp. The only things I find to be better than this are perhaps a higher end Marshall, an Orange, or a Mesa Boogie. But there is no way I would ever spend that much for a combo practice amp. I do love the texture control, you can go from warm to hot on the gain with it. I spent quite a while looking into my other options, and unless you really want that Fender clean, there is no better match anywhere near this price range. // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: bartdevil_metal, on april 16, 2008

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

Features: It's pretty feature-laden. I generally do not use the reverb, or vary the texture control, though there are some perceptible differences when using the texture control. Class A sounds slightly more vintage, while class A/B is a more modern sound. I seriously doubt that the amp can actually run at true class A however. The resonance Switch on my amp is always set to tight, as I find the loose setting is unable to tame the gain boost, which I also use a lot. // 8

Sound: I am using the amp with a Jackson DK2M Dinky guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups. I think that it suits my style of playing very well, though my tone still leaves something to be desired, and I will be changing the pickups in the near future. I play metal, progressive, shred and blues in the main, and I feel that the amp covers these genres quite well in the way I have it set up, but that is not stock. I have recently replaced the "Custom Voiced ValveKing speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30, as the stock speaker really let the amp's tone down. When I first got the amp, it sounded muddy and uncontrollable in high gain situations. I found this to be the speaker's fault, as when I replaced it it sounded amazing. Epic Tone! Covers anything up to Dream Theater gain wise, although nu-metal/death metal and other ultra-high gain genres may go wanting. The amp is noisy at home, but that is due to the bad wiring of my house, as when I play it at gigs with a proper power conditioner it is dead quiet. Stock, this amp has the capability of covering hard and modern rock quite easily on the lead channel, and the clean channel is good stock anyway. I feel that to turn this into a metal amp requires a speaker change, and in my case the cleans went from good but slightly sterile to warm, rich and responsive, while my lead channel went from average to absolutely insane. I'm being honest when I tell you that I prefer my tricked out ValveKing to any tone I have got out of a Peavey 5150, though if you don't use cleans as often as I do then that may be the way you wish to go. Now, to look at the clean channel in more detail. When I first played the amp, the speaker was so muddy that I had to keep the bright Switch engaged at all times in order to retain some clarity, but now that I have the new speaker I only use it for the percussive twangy country music that I occasionally play. It stays clean for a good amount of time (depending on your EQ and pickups), and on my guitar it usually gets to about 6 before starting to dirty up. This is loud. Vibrating the walls of your house loud. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a reliable amplifier. Very forgiving OT, I accidentally mismtched the speaker twice in this amp, with no adverse effect. It's never broken down on me except for a new set of power valves, but that's part and parcel of owning an all valve amp. I've owned the amp for about 8 months now, and held off writing a review to see if there was a reliability issue. There isn't, and the few queries I have had with the amp were dealt with within a week by Peavey Tehnical support. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I believe this amp has great potential. I believe that what keeps it at the price it is is not simple quality of components but the lack of a decent speaker. If you have enough of a budget to get the amplifier and a new speaker, that is what I recommend. I love that it is so versatile, and that it can keep up with my rapidly changing musical moods (one moment I might be playing Metallica, the next I'll wind down with a bit of Oasis). I don't like that it runs so hot, or that the reverb is virtually unusable past 5. My favourite feature has to be the Gain Boost, it's the difference between rock and metal in a button (which is also footswitchable). When considering buying this amp I played a Randall RG50TC, a Peavey 5150 and a Mesa F-50. The Mesa was too expensive (although better than this amp), and the other two simply did not have a usable enough clean channel for my needs. If it were stolen I would probably buy the head model to have a little more tweakability (resonance and presence knobs), but that's it. I wish it had a half power mode, as it's a little loud for home use. // 8

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: metallica_death, on january 15, 2007

Features: This tube amp is versatile and perfect for my style of playing, my style of playing being thrash metal death metal, metalcore etc and it is filled with channels and the exclusive the Peavey texture settings at the back. I play in a band and we gig regulary and it is so loud I put the volume at 6 and it's still loud as hell! // 9

Sound: I play an ESP KH202 and a Jackson rr3 through it and it hasn't let me down, it suits my playing style of thrash metal. People had told me about the "warm tone" that valve amps have and this amp painted the picture for me on that. And the sounds that come out of it are awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can really depend on the valveking and I would use it in gigs without backup. The amp has not broken down on me yet and I treat it right and put new valves in regulary. And the Valveking is a really reliable tube amp for a good price. And in fact I have gigged with it and it has not let me down although it is really heavy. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most sorts of metal, mainly thrash and it is a match made in heaven for me, I have been playing for around 3 years and it is ace. It may say it is 50 watts but it sounds louder in my opinion. If it were stolen I would in fact buy it again. Everything on the valveking I love about it and I would not change it at all, I have found my true tone through the Valveking. // 10

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Stud_Muffin, on october 20, 2008

Purchased from: PSS Music

Features: This hugely versatile valve amp is the newest addition to my worrying growth of musical gear, and possibly, one of the best investments in my short career in the world of gigging. It features two independant channels (clean and lead, with their own passive equilisation, switchable by the seperate footswitch. the clean channel features a bright Switch, which increases the treble frequencies, perfectly suited to Indie music, while the lead chanel boasts a gain and volume boost, which are able to be toggled by the footswitch. As well as this, it also features spring reverb and the impressive, patent-pending texture control, allowing the user to control the power sensitivity, allowing a Marshall-like roar from the class A/B side to a true high gain class A amp, or anywhere in between. // 9

Sound: I use it with my "holy duo" Strat and Tele, both Mexican made Fenders with stock pickups and it complements them both well, especially my Telecaster. At home, I generally play rock and blues, occasionally bridging off into some Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica, to keep my speed chops up, and it suits these styles fine. I have recently been experimenting with the amp and have found many suitable tones for almost any genre of music. My band plays a mix of hardcore metal and screamo (not my choice, but hey... ) and I find that if the gain and volume are too high, it hisses slightly, but during breaks between songs, I switch to the clean channel to avoid this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used it in over 20 gigs since getting it early this year and it has done very well, keeping up with my bassists 400 watt amp and my other guitarists 120 watt SS amp. I have never taken a backup to a gig, and it has never failed me yet. I can't fault it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an extremely versatile amp, small enough for bedroom practice, band rehearsals and small to medium size gigs. I have been using SS amps for around six years and it took about half an hour in my local music shop to become hooked on the intoxicating, can't-quite-put-you're-finger-on-it sound of a true valve amp. The one fault I have with this amp is that the single speaker sometimes gets drowned out by my guitarist, Who uses an amp with two, and is looking to upgrade to a valve half stack, and my bassist, Who's rig is huge. But this is due to their greed for wattage, rather than anything they actually need, and if my guitarist does upgrade, I may consider part-trading my combo in for the Valveking 100 head and buying the cabinet seperately, or selling the amp and upgrading to the 100 watt 212 version. But for what it is, it does very well. Perfect for an intermediate guitarist, or one perhaps looking for their first valve amp. A very worthy purchase! // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: achiles03, on september 26, 2006

Features: This amp is my second amp my first being an old Peavey Backstage. I only use this as a pactice amp since I am not in a band and I've not tried recording with it. Style wise I play mostly blue rock, harder rock, and metal. feature wise it's all that you really need, great for what I use it for. // 8

Sound: I play this with an old Washburn G-5V and sometimes through a DigiTech RP80 multieffects pedal mostly for wah. Peavy is know for distortion amps. This is a distrotion amp. The cleans are ok but when played at high volumes get fuzzy. In my humble opinion that's the way it's supposd to be. It's really not that noisy unless you blast it in lead. The distorion is just crazy, bottom line. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This a very sturty well constructed amp and for what I'm using it for and doing to it, it's very reliable and won't come close to braking any time soon. As for the speaker I think it would hold up to many many hours of use and I've had no problem with the tubes or other electronics yet. I would use it in a gig if I ever had an opportunity but haven't had a chance yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a good three years. I mostly play stuff by 'Tallica, Zepplin, GN'R, EVH, stuff like that. This is perfect for where I am musicly. I was orinally going to buy the 212 Valve King (2x12" speakers insead of one) but this was cheaper and has a much tightier sound. The only thing I don't like is that when using the foot pedal to wich channels it takes a second to make the change. Other then that no real down sides. If it were lost or stolen I would be devistated because I'm broke and wouldn't be able to buy another. // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: RGshred88, on june 05, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The Peavey ValveKing is an all tube (3x12AX7 & 2x6L6GC) 50 watt amplifier that is marketed for budget-minded guitarists. The amp feature a clean and lead channel that both sport lots of versatility. Both channels have a 3 band eq and volume knobs. The clean has a bright Switch that you can use to get a cool funk sound. The lead has a gain boost Switch and volume Switch that is useful for cutting through the mix with your solo. There is an effects loop in the front which in my opinion is annoying... I'd just rather it be in the back but not a big deal. Also comes with spring reverb that comes in handy. There is also a resonance Switch in the back the changes from a tight to a loose setting so bass can really come out, good for metal palm muting. A big feature is the texture knob in the back which changes the amp from class A/B full power to class A low power. This changes the distortion patterns and harmonic properties. It's hard to tell the difference at first but the more you play it the more you adjust this knob to suit your taste. // 9

Sound: I'm using an RG prestige basswood body/Floyd Rose with Ibanez pickups except the bridge which is a DiMarzio PAF Pro. The sound is hands down amazing for this price range. I've played the JSX amp by Peavey which is 2000 for a half stack and the VK112 keeps up with it no problem. In my opinion I don't really like Marshalls; I do like the Peavey distortion just by taste, so this amp really suits me. The cleans are good, with a wide range of tones. The distortion is great. It can go from a mellow blues tone to all the distortion you need for shred. I play mainly fusion/shred and blues and I can say this amp covers every genre. The distortion is a little muddy with the gain up and the boost Switch engaged, but not bad at all. I don't get the exact blues tone I'm looking for but I'm really sure it's due to my Ibanez and humbuckers. I bet it would sound much better with a strat or any single coil guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this amp would be fine on the road it seems like it's built really well... I don't really travel a lot with it but it's gig worthy. The amp even has a protective cage around the power tubes so you don't have to worry about destroying them due to an accident. Of course since it's a tube amp you will need to replace the tubes every once in a while, but a very small price to pay. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great. For a first time tube amp bar none this is the way to go. The only problems I have is the effects loop in the front and a little bit of muddiness when the gain is cranked all the way up (however it has to be like at 10 and it's still much much better than any other amp which sounded a lot more muddy to me when I tried them). You seem to forget that this amp is only 500 dollars. My friend has a Marshall full stack (the crappy solid state one with the effects) which is 100w and about 600 dollars. My little 50w VK blows it out of the water in everything. It sounds wayyy better, and this thing can be so much louder. He puts the full stack at volume level 2, and to match HIM I'm not even on 1. So anyone thinking of buying this amp I strongly suggest you do. For the money and raw sound this amp stands out. // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: kkquick, on october 13, 2008

Features: I have no idea when this amp was made. I love this amp because you are able to play so many different styles of music on it. I play blues, classic rock, punkrock, thrashmetal, metal and other music styles near those. There are 2 channels Clean and Lead. I love em both! The clean has this really warm chunky sound. And the Lead is awesome for a 112 amp with the guitar right plugged in. For channel swithing I use a footswitch I had at home. It has an effect loop that I never use. It does not have any headphone jacks. I don't wish it had any more features than those it already has. One feature that is great is the ability to Switch the amp from a Class A/B 50 watts to a Class A 30 watts or something like that. The class A/B is great for clean channel and classic rock. The class A is great for heavier stuff and the clean channel is great there too. The reverb on this amp is fantastic and when I turn it up a bit and flick up the Switch on my guitar to rhythm the sound is like magic to my ears. // 9

Sound: I have 2 guitars that I use in this amp, a Custom Gibson Les Paul from 1980 I think and it has APC pickups, don't like the clean sound aint the best on this guitar but it rocks for classic rock like AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. The other guitar is a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton signature from 1989 with active Fender-Lace sensor pickups. On this guitar I worship the clean sound it makes and the distortion fits anything except for maybe deathmetal but I don't play that anyway so I don't care. This amp suits me perfect. I don't think it's noisy at all. I don't make much variety of sounds with this amp cause I have found my favorite settings already. But it's great for any musicstyle out there. The sound I like the best is probably the blues sound. The clean sound has never been distorted until now for some weeks because the tubes are bad and one broke. It was one and a half year ago I changed the tubes. The distortion fits me good, no deathmetal distortion as I said before. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this really good and yes I would use it on a gig without a backup amp. My amp broke down 2 days ago due to bad tubes. But I see no problem depending on this one. // 9

Overall Impression: It fits The Music I play. I have been playing for soon 2 years and I can play most styles of music. I own a Custom Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton signature. If it were lost or stolen I don't know what I would have done. I love everything about it. I've been in my local musicstore and I've jammed with a few different guitars and amps but I have never got this warm and chunky sound that I desire for my playing. Buy this one an awesome amp! // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Darkpagey, on june 30, 2009

Price paid: £ 269.99

Purchased from: Guitarbitz.com

Features: Note: I HAVE UPGRADED THE SPEAKER TO A CELESTION Vintage 30, and will be basing my review around the amp with this speaker installed. With the stock speaker, the amp sounds very muddy, almost like it is wrapped in a wall of pillows. I STRONGLY recommend upgrading the speaker. For 269, the amp comes packed full of Features. For example, the amp has 2 channels, clean and lead. The clean channel has a 3 band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble) with a bright Switch to give the channel more clarity from the extra treble boost. The Lead channel has a 4 band EQ (Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble) with a gain and volume boost, which allows you to get into hard rock/metal territory. It has 2 inputs for high gain and low gain guitars, a reverb unit, and an effects loop which is very handy. The texture knob at the back also allows you to Switch progressively from class A to class A/B power, or vice versa. I use this amp for primarly home use but sometimes band practice and will be using it for annual gigs. At 50W all tube, this thing gets damn loud. I read reviews and took this into account when buying it, thinking it would be suited to home use, but of course to get the reknown sound of any tube amp you have to crank it up, and i find that hard to do at home when my parents are home too. So if you think you're in the same boat as me i would advice getting an attenuator or look at a different amp. When i have cranked it however, this beast gives off a fantastic tone that allows me to reach, despite others opinions and reviews, metal territory like Killwsitch Engage, but also get the Guns N' Roses tone too. 6 Because of the poor stock speaker, 9 with the V30, so I will give it a 7.5 rounded to 8 overall. // 8

Sound: I use Ibanez RG370DX (Stock) > Valveking 112 (w/ Celestion V30 remember) direct. My music style is GNR to Killswitch Engage to Blick182 to Feeder. I find it reasonably suited to these styles especially with the upgraded speaker, which gives me more control over the EQ. Being 50 watts all tube, this beast gets very very loud, even at volume 1 of 10! Feedback wise, I find with the right pickups and setup the feedback is very controllable, however I love getting feedback for sustain so it suits me very well. Even at low volumes I can easily get feedback, which is an added bonus, however with my old guitar (Yamaha Pacifica) the feedback is very painful to listen to because of the poor pickups. The moral of the story is with good quality pick ups, no noise gate should be needed at low volumes, however at high volumes even with good quality pickups a noise gate will probably be needed. A noise gate is on my list of things to buy. With the stock speaker, the amp only really has one sound. With the V30, the amp has much more versatility when EQ'd right. I have only needed to turn up my clean to half way, and even then it is not distorted. Incidentally, I actually like the clean contrary to other people's views. Sure it's no Fender clean but it suits me fine. And also, despite other people's opinions, I actually do think this amp can get into metal territory with all boosts on! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned the amp for 2 weeks, so I am not in a position to talk about reliability. However, the amp seems pretty durable. It has a metal casing around the pre-amp tubes to protects them from falling and all in all the amp seems pretty sturdy. For the time I have owned it and taking into account possible reliability issues, I'm giving it an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I have played for almost 3 years and this is my first tube amp. I'm very pleased with my purchase however I think low volume and good tone do not mix with this very high powered amp, so I will either be looking for an attenuator or a smaller tube amp to use at home. For the styles of music I play, I think the amp suits it very well. In the future I think I will be buying an OD pedal to give the gain a bit of a boost in the low volume ranges so I can get my desired metal tone at low volumes. This is very important to me. I did NOT try the amp before buying. I took a risk, a pretty good risk it turns out, and the same with the speaker. Even though the total cost of the amp has now reached 340, I am still happy with my purchase, however if you are a US resident I would take a look at the B-52 AT112, which is a very metal orientated amp the costs less than the VK112 but still gives outstanding tone (apparently), but because of B-52 not shipping the the UK I was unable to purchase one. If it was lost I would probably look at a smaller tube amp, but if I was in a situation where I could crank the amp I would definately re purchase it. I just wish it had a built in attenuator. Finally, if thinking about purchasing this amp, DEFINATELY upgrade the speaker, then the tubes, and then think about buying an OD (Bad monkey possibly) and EQ (MXR 6 or 10 band possibly) pedal to comfortably reach that heavy metal tone with more versatility, but then you're looking at over 500 of investment, which could buy numerous other better amps, so think about it carefully! // 8

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2008

Purchased from: PMT

Features: I think my amp is a 2008 model, and it's awesome. I read a million reviews before I bought it saying stuff like it isn't any good for metal but it really does have the guts for it! I agree, the speaker isn't the best out there, but that's why it's so affordable! I find that it more than copes with whatever I can throw at it, which is anything from extremely clean blues to thrash for the band I'm in. It has two channels, clean and lead. Both of which have amazing tones at even low volumes, I tried out a 212 and it seemed to me that it needed to be played louder to get those killer tones on lead, but the 112 works harder and I think this plays in it's favour being a valve amp and all. I use this amp in my bedroom and for my band practices. it's tones come in at low volumes, which is amazing for in the house, and it's mouth warteringly loud for band practice, it more than keeps up with my fellow guitarists Marshall AVT 50 which I believe should have cost HIM 100 more. I'm only giving it 9/10 here because it has to be said, the speaker could be just that little bit sharper. // 9

Sound: I'm in love with the sheer tone of this amp, it comes by the bucket load. I play in a thrash metal band, and it sounds awesome for those kinds of songs. I love playing good, old hard rock too, which this amp I would say is probably more suited to. And I play blues and Jazz, both of which, sound pretty much identical to my teachers Fender Deluxe amp, which costs 450. I own, a USA Fender Stratocaster, a USA Deluxe Fender Telecaster and a Jackson DK2 Pro. All of which seem perfect for this amp. The Stratocaster has a modified bridge pickup, I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in it, (the one Iron Maiden Use) and it seemes like a match made in heaven for rock and metal. The amp can be noisy with my Telecaster because the bridge pickup is single coil and sometimes with my Jackson because of its high output. but this is only when not touching the strings at all. This though isn't really the amps fault. The clean can get a bit distorted when up near the 3/4 mark, but that's what valve amps do. The distortion can have a rally classic feel to it if you turn the gain boost off, the volume boost off and move the texture dial on the back to class 'A' low power, and can then be changed to a far more modern metal distortion by switching to full 'AB' power and turning on the gain and volume boosts again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this amp and this amp only I suppose, it seems well built. I would recommend leaving the amp on standby for five mins before playing to make sure the valves are warm and don't get damaged. // 10

Overall Impression: This completely fits the styles of my music tastes and blows me away on both the clean and lead channels. I've been playing almost 4 years now and own a Hiwatt - Maxwatt 100 Watt amp also, and this amp just destroys the Hiwatt with its tone. I would totally replace this with another if anything happened to it, and I would cry. One last thing, this amp seams pretty loud, I would say if I didn't know any better that it was more than 50 Watts! // 10

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Zoso1994, on september 22, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I'm not quite sure the year in which this amp was made, but I guess it's fairly new. It's not the most versatile amp, it can do blues and classic rock very well, but it's definitely not suitable for metal and heavier genres unless you boost it with an OD, and even then, it's not the same as a high gain amp. It has 2 channels, clean (which is where it shines, the cleans are great for it's price) and Lead, which could be much better in my opinion. It has an effects loop, but no headphone jack. At 50W, it's really loud, so it never gets past 3 for me, it should be enough for small gigs. It's basically a budget 100% tube amp which gets the job done with great cleans and passable OD which needs a boost for heavier genres. It would get a 7, but i'm giving it an 8 for the bang-for-buck ratio. // 8

Sound: I'm running my Fender showmaster with Seymour Duncans into this amp, it suits my styles (hard rock/metal) pretty well when boosted with a bad monkey. You can get sparkling cleans and good blues/classic rock tones out of this amp by tweaking the knobs on this amp for a good while. An EQ pedal helps to get great tones from this amp, and helps push it into metal territory by boosting the bass a bit. The clean channel has tons of headroom, even more if you hit the "bright" switch, which is great for shinier cleans, whereas without the bright Switch, you can get great jazz tones. It gets an overall 8 for the sound because i'm not crazy about the lead channel without any mods/pedals. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty reliable, I've had it for around 6 months and everything's fine, no problem with the tubes, fuse or anything else. I'd definitely gig with it without a backup :) Gets a 10 here, simply because nothing has gone wrong with it for 6 months and no signs of anything going wrong soon are showing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and sometimes jazz, but was more into classic rock when I bought this amp. For classic rock, it's a godsend for it's price, but for metal, it needs a boost and an EQ for the lead channel to sound as good as the clean one. A speaker swap would also do this amp good, I'm planning to get an Eminence man o' war for it sometime soon. I've been playing for around 3 years, I own a Fender strat, a showmaster, and soon a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. If this amp were stolen, I would probably get something different, even though I'm happy with it (I could be happier with a high-gain amp). I just wish it had a more brutal OD channel. Overall 9, it's a sturdy, good sounding budget tube amp which gives a reasonable amount of bang for the buck. // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Dude!, on october 19, 2009

Purchased from: Georges Music

Features: so yeah it is a 2 channel 50 watt tube amp. no clue when it was made but does it really matter? This is definitely a gigging amp unless you are playing stadiums in which that case get a cab to go along with. The plug to another cab is pretty cool as well as the texture knob on the back. Other than that it does not really have any other features. But Who cares an amp should not have all these weird features that stop it from doing its job. playing your music. // 8

Sound: To get it to sound good, take my advice... change out the stock speaker with the eminence govenor speaker, change out the tubes, get a very small cable for the effect loop, don't put your guitar's volume louder than 4 or 5. if you have done everything correctly, you will discover the greatest sounds that ever came from the amp. I run a Gibson Les Paul Studio through the amp and, HOLY CRAP it will sing. The Music i play in this amp is anywhere from Metallica to B.B. King and everything in between. It is loud so if anyone is home their fillings may get ripped out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could gig without a back up but I would have a spare change of tubes just in case. It only failed me once when the tubes went on the amp 3 months after I got it. Not supposed to happen after 3 Months but again got it fixed and operational so it is all good. // 7

Overall Impression: get this amp. Honestly I have played solid states of the same wattage and while they sound pretty good this amp sounds better. I have been playing for 5 years and I have played on solid state until I found this amp. I would buy it again if it got stolen maybe the half stack version though. Why are you still reading this review? Go out and buy it. You are wasting time reading a review telling you how great it is but you are not experiencing it.GO! NOW! BE GONE! // 10

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2010

Features: This is not a good tube amp. It is very versatile, has 2 channels, effects loop, headphone jacks. A knob that twitches from A/AB, you name it, it has it. It has everthing you need except one thing: good tone. That is if you judge it as a tube amp. I say this because there are several solid state amps that cost half as much that sound just as good. It doesn't sound bad at all, it just doesn't beat a solid state. A 9 just for features. // 9

Sound: As I said before, the sound is the only thing it lacks. Ironically, it's the only thing that really matters. It doesn't sound bad, but mediocre, meaning that there are several less expensive SS amps that sound just as good or better. I've heard that with new tubes, speakers and other mods you can make it sound pretty good, but if you're anything like me you only consider improving something that was good to begin with, not something mediocre in order to make it just good. With a humbucker PRS guitar it sounded somewhat sterile and brittle. You have the flexibility to squeeze multiple tones from it, but on a decent SS amp you can do that too. // 4

Reliability & Durability: For a tube amp seems reliable enough. I can't really speak to the reliability of this particular unit as I took it home for a week on trial and returned it after coming to the conclusion I didn't like it. But as for tube amps in general, they are more or less fragile and high maintenance. They are also really really heavy. // 9

Overall Impression: In the 21st century, with all the electronic advances around, and given the reliability problems and high maintenance of tube amps, if you're gonna buy a premium retro piece of equipment like a guitar amplifier based on obsolete tube technology, the only reason to do so is because the sound quality of it has to exceed that of a solid state amp, and this is nowhere near achieving that. Yes you can improve it with mods. But why? It isn't worth it. Just buy a good SS amp or bite the bullet and pay a ton of cash for an expensive pro-quality tube amp from Fender, Marshal or one of the top grade brands. Otherwise you are fooling yourself. I've been playing about 15 years and have owned many amps, good and bad, tube and SS. This one is just a marketing gimmick. There is no such thing as a good discount tube amp. // 4

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: George's Music

Features: Bought this amp in 2006 after my ex smashed up my Marshall and I needed something quick. 2 channels, reverb, hi-low input jacks, 2 6L6GC Power tubes and 3 12AX7 pre-amp tubes. Resonance Switch and a "texture" control know in the back. 50 watts and a single 12 inch speaker. Also there's a FX loop as well. Foot Switch for the clean and dirty channel. I used the clean channel with a Boss ME-70 for the distortion as I will go into detail below. Clean channel is fine once you get decent tubes in it and a good speaker. It really could use a noise gate and better reverb but hey it's not that expensive so. // 7

Sound: Playing mostly 80's thrash and hard rock. First thing I would reccomend is get rid of the stock speaker. Peavey should just stop using it and add 50 bucks and upgrade because it really is awful. I replaced with a Hellatone and it immediately changed the amp to something workable to achieve a decent tone. Also the stock tubes are not very good IMO, I changed the stock pre-amps to Grooves and it made the clean channel brighter although not much of a noticeable change on the dirty side. And that's where this amp falls short. The gain side is just too muddy and weak. The EQ's don't do much either. But again its a cheap tube amp. You get what you pay for and I was expecting something at least workable. I pretty much run my Boss distortion through the clean channel almost all the time. Reverb is kinda strange. I found that at high volumes even with the Hellatone speaker I was getting alot of farting on the low end freqs. When I disconnected the reverb it went almost entirely away even though I wasn't really even using it. The texture knob is kinda cool but I leave it on Class A simulation for the most part. It does make a difference especially at high volumes and give a bit more punch. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The low gain input has to be re soldered twice as it had loose connections to the PCB but other than that it has been very reliable and have gigged with it quite a few times. I also have a vibration somewhere in this thing that I am still chasing but its not that noticable to others just me. // 9

Overall Impression: When I purchased this amp I really didn't see many low cost tube amp offerings as I do now. My impression is to make sure you play this amp and any other low cost tube and really investigate the crunch or dirty side before you fork out for anything. I don't think I would buy it again knowing what I know and like now BUT for $350 I got my moneys worth. // 6

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: SchecterDean, on october 07, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Bought this little beast back in 2008. I'm in a band that plays all styles via; country, blues, classic rock to metal with covers and originals. This thing holds up true. It is a 2 channel; one lead, and one clean. Depending on the guitar that you use, you can get a versatile sound out of it. I use a Schecter 2010-2011 Tempest Custom with tap coil, can't stress this enough, it depends on what effects you use and what guitar you use for the sound you want out of it. I only use a DigiTech chorus factory and a Vox wah on both settings, when needed. I bought it as a half stack and M.F. Screwed up twice on the shipment, it was a steal when the head came in and then a 6505 cab, didn't complain on the mess up for the cab. I feel that there could be more settings to it for my liking. Be sure to order a footswitch for it. The one I ordered is cheap as hell, but is a necessity if you are going to gig (I modified mine and made a metal casing for it, instead of the cheap ass plastic the footswitch comes with). // 6

Sound: You can get a pink floyd-ish sound if dialed in right to a brutal kill everything metal sound. I never have had a problem with it yet. Have had it for 3 years and haven't changed out any tubes yet. I have had some problems being on stage and getting too much feedback after the gain is on 6 on the lead, I've had a few problems with that, but if your far away enough, it shouldn't be a problem, just get a longer cable. Other than that is sounds great! // 6

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I have never had a problem yet. Plan on changing the tubes out in the future though to my style. Never broken down once... Yet. I never had any regular/yearly service done on it yet, for maintenance. I figure, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Probably bite me in the ass one way or another, but I depend on it and feel it is really durable. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for me. I've been playing for a little over 6 years off and on, I do know I have seen alot better heads, but for the price this is well worth the money. If it was stolen, I would save and probably invest in a 6505 or Butcher. I do love how it is very versatile in tonal range though. // 4

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Ultrakd, on november 08, 2011

Purchased from: George's Music

Features: I purchased this earlier in the year around August. Sadly I haven't been able to use it much until now. I haven't had a chance to play with my friends band yet but when I've had the volume down low it still sounds nice. I like the controls the amp you can get a nice wide range of sounds from this amp. The only thing I do wish it had but isn't that big of a deal is a headphone jack. I haven't been able to turn it up much past but 2 but I think it will be plenty loud enough to play in a band. The amp has 2 channels, clean and lead. On the front you have the clean EQ and a bright switch. Then for the lead channel you have the gain know, lead EQ and a volume and gain boost switches. Also on the front is a master Reverb knob, 2 input jacks and a effects loop. On the back is a resonance switch for either tight or loose, the texture knob, and a foot switch input and a 16ohm cab input. // 8

Sound: The guitar I have isn't worth mentioning so I'm probably not using the amps full tonal potential. The clean can be a little muddy. But you can get by that with some tweaking. The bright switch is nice it really brightens up you clean channel. The lead channel is really nice. You can get some nice overdrive and then when you start to turn up the gain knob you can get some pretty good distortion. Push on the gain boost and you can get some nice metal distortion too. So this amp is definitely versatile. The reverb can be either nice and soft or all the way up sounds like your in a big room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the amp long enough to be able to really give any comment here but the amp seems to be quality built. Its nice and sturdy and heavy and Peavey makes good products so it should be very reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play almost any type of music except for really hardcore metal and screamo stuff. But this amp should do great for most types of music I really love it. I've only been playing for about a year and a half but my previous amp was a Roland 15XL, big improvement. I really can't wait to get a new guitar so I can use this amps full potential. Before I got this amp I was looking a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w and a Vypyr 100w. Those were great amps to but I loved the sound that came from this amp and is simplicity. The tubes sound so nice. If this amp were stolen I would defiantly get another. The only thing I would have like if it had is somewhere to plug in to make recording easier. That is the one feature I really liked about the Vypyrs is that they had a USB input for recording. But it isn't that big of a deal for me to worry about it. I really love this amp and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade. // 9

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on may 08, 2012

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Mothers Music

Features: I want to start out by saying that this particular amp does not actually belong to me, but rather to my brother. However, I used the amp extensively for a theater gig that required that I have a versatile amp that took up minimal real-estate back-stage (my Mesa halfstack wouldn't fit). Anyways, this amp was purchased about 2 years ago and was out of the box new. It features 2 fully independent channels, each with a 3-band EQ, a level control and 2 push-button switches. The lead channel also features a gain knob. On the lead channel, the push-buttons control gain boost and volume boost, while on the clean channel they control the bright boost and channel select functions. The front panel also features a universal reverb control for the spring reverb unit, and a choice of high or low gain inputs. There is also a buffered effects loop on the front which, when bridged with a patch chord, improves the sound of the amp. Moving around back, there is a resonance control marked "tight and loose". Supposedly, this affects the bass response of the amp to simulate different performance characteristics. There is also a knob which allows you to run the amp either in full class A mode or class AB, or anywhere in between. This control also acts as a power soak of sorts, as class A is somewhat less efficient than AB. There is also an external speaker jack, which is a very useful feature - we'll get to that later. There is also a foot-switch jack (sadly, not included) which allows for channel switching and volume-boost on the lead channel. The amp runs on the fairly standard combination of 6l6GC (2) power tubes and 12AX7 (3) pre-amp tubes - nothing really ground-breaking here. This provides the amp with 40 watts of power. The speaker is a Peavey unit, supposedly designed to sound like a Celestion Vintage 30 - again, more on that later. Otherwise, the amp is housed in a fairly well built open back cabinet, covered in black Tolex and sporting silver grill cloth. Considering that this amp is all-tube (okay, solid-state rectified) and powerful enough to be easily gigged, its stunningly good for the money. It's not fancy, but it comes in at a price where cheap solid-state amps are par for the course, so top marks there. // 8

Sound: I used this amp with an ESP Eclipse featuring EMG's (81/60) with an 18v mod. My brother uses it primarily with an Epiphone G-400 with a Gibson Iommi bridge unit, and a SD '59 neck. The amp gets used for most styles, and its pretty decent all around. The cleans on the amp are a little thin. They are by no means bad, but they aren't quite as good as you would get from a Fender or Mesa Boogie (both typically employing similar tubes). However, it is still a very usable clean tone, and infinitely better than any of the modeling amps out there. The EQ provides enough tone shaping capacity to account for various guitars, and the bright switch really gives the amp a lot of extra chime. Overall, the cleans are pleasant and certainly very good for the money. The gain channel is a bit of a mixed bag. Lower gains (think anything up to Vintage crunch) lack depth, they sound one-dimensional and maybe a little bit thin. Certainly, they are usable and pleasant enough, but they lack the sophistication provided by better amps. Mid-level gains, particularly punk and modern-rock tones, prove to be excellent. There is enough saturation to provide smooth, singing solo tones, without rhythm work getting muddy or weak sounding. Cranking the gain too high seems to overwhelm the speaker, and the amp does become muddy. Speaking about the speaker, the stock unit is pretty average. It definitely tries to be in the vein of a Celestion V30, but it clearly falls far short and limits the amp. I found myself using an Orange 112 cab (with a V30), and the amp was universally improved. Upgrading the speaker in this amp is definitely an important consideration. Now, as for the other controls on the amp, some are more effective than others. The resonance button seems to have very little effect on the amp. At extremely high volumes (this amp gets reasonably loud), you can detect a small change in the character of the bottom end, but it is largely ineffective. Running the amp in class-A mode results in the power-amp clipping quite a bit earlier, allowing for more breakup on the clean channel. However, the amp does become muddy much earlier on this setting. Running in class-AB results in far more clean head-room and a clearer overall sound. Finally, the reverb is decent at providing some air to the tone. It muddies up a little at higher settings, but it is quite effective at opening up the tone. This amp recent had its tubes change (Mesa 6l6's and Tung-sol 12AX7's) and everything sounded better. The cleans had more depth, and the gain was smoother. Obviously, the cost of this amp had to be kept down somehow, and the tubes appear to be a cost-cutting sacrifice. Overall though, a very decent sounding amp for the money. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Bulletproof. The amp is well constructed and reasonably simple, and there is little to suggest that there is anything that could go catastrophically wrong with it due to Peavey's manufacturing. I did, however, have a power-tube go during one of my rehearsals, but they are easy enough to swap, and not entirely unexpected for a 2 year old amp. I used it without a backup for my entire run with it, and my brother gigs it weekly without a backup (though we carry an extra pre-amp tube and a set of power tubes just in case). My only niggle would be that Peavey sucks at applying Tolex. Every amp I've ever used of theirs peels eventually, and this amp is sadly no exception. Use a little more glue Peavey! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think your impressions of this amp will vary greatly depending on why you're looking at it. If you're considering it because it seems like a cost-effective alternative to other mid-sized tube combo's (Mesa Express 5:50, Fender HOT Rod Deluxe), you'll be disappointed. This amp is not in the same league as higher end tube amps. However, if you're looking to get your first tube amp, and you need something gig-worthy, this amp could be a revelation. It sounds good, regardless of price, so when you factor in that it costs about the same as most bigger modeling amps, it really looks like a steal. At the end of the day, I wouldn't buy one of these myself, I already have better gear. That being said, I would recommend them to anybody looking at a modeling amp or wanting to get a gig-worthy tube amp on a budget. Its a solid amp, and aside from a few niggles, a very decent overall performer that's certainly worth an audition. // 8

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Lanny McGough, on august 06, 2012

Features: This amp is a 2012 model. I do studio recording, church, clubs and outdoor events, playing rock, country, gospel and blues. This is a 2 channel amp with a lead boost with channel switching and effects loop. The valve king is a 50 watt all tube amp. It is versatile enough to go from country to shred, more than enough power, and easy to tweek the sweet spots. // 10

Sound: I use a 92 G&L SC-3 strat with single coil pickups. This amp can produce a good clean bottom end punch for country picking when using a Boss compressor. For blues I get an exceptional dirty sound, good sustain with a lot of tone. For all out shred this amp will produce rich saturation, smooth harmonics and has loads of volume. I was thinking of purchasing a modeling amp but after using several of these from various manufacturers I realized that they are too complex and fragile for me in a live fast moving gig. A VERY IMPORTANT THING about amps in all these varying live gigs is that I need an amp that has tubes, easy to find the sweet spots, easy to operate, lightweight, versatile, and must produce over the top sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just bought this amp so I haven't had a chance to see how durable it will be. However, I have owned Peavey amps over the years and have found them to be vary reliable and usually there is a Peavey dealer in small towns where you can get things worked on if need be. // 10

Overall Impression: I Would say the Valve King will sound good with any good guitar. I play blues based rock, blues, jazz, country, rock, swamp rock, and gospel since the late 60s. My other amp is a 20 year old 50 watt tube Marshall. I love my Marshall but I must say here that the valve king equals or out performs the Marshall in every aspect and at a much lower price. I would buy another if I ever needed another. And I love the ease of operation, big sound and versatility of this amp. Before buying it I actually took other amps to gigs and used them in live situations such as Crate 3 channel, Fender modeling, Roland modeling, etc... As well as my old Marshall. I did not get the channel switch pedal with it but the Marshall pedal works with it. All in all this is a no frills amp, very uncomplicated with a sound that will have you hooked instantly if you try it. // 10

Valve King 112 Reviewed by: Dragonfyre137, on january 15, 2014

Price paid: € 419

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

Features: The Peavey Valve King 112 is a 50W maden in USA tube amplifier. It has 2 channels, one clean- and one lead-channel, with seperate EQs for high, mid and low for each channel. Additioanlly the clean channel has a bright swtich which adds extra trebble to the clean-channel. It has no effect on the lead-channel, however. The lead-channel has two additional switches: The gain-boost and the volume-boost. Both are usefull for emphasizing solos, though you probably won't need it for 90% of the time. The amp is loud enough and has enough gain. Who thinks otherwise can't be helped.

Further we have a hall dial. I concider it a nice extra, though I prefer to have my hall as a stompbox so I can turn it on and off easily. That's as far as it goes for the front side. On the back side we have the texture-controll and the resonance-switch. The resonance switch enables you to switch between one of the following presets: The "tight" preset delivers a clearer, trebblier sound, while the "loose" preset delivers a bassier, but less clearer sound.

Now the texture-controll is what I really love the Valve King for: In its naturall state, the Valve King is a A/B full power amp. When you turn the control counter-clockwise, the effect of half of the 6L6GC power tubes is continuously substracted from the circuit. Simultaineously, the gain and low-frequency response of the drive tubes is increased, resulting in a more even harmonic distortion of you power amp, no matter at what volume. Turned fully counter-clockwise, you achieve a full single ended power amp section: A true class A amplifier.

If you additionally buy the footwsitch, you can easily switch between the channels and turn the gain- and/or volume boost on during playing. Note: Whichever boost is activated on the amp, will also be de-/activated with the footswitch. So if you activate both boost on your amp, you can also deactivate or activate both via footswitch. Still, I concider this very helpfull since that way I can theoretically switch between 3 "presets" while playing: 1) the clean channel, 2) a medium-gain sound on the lead channel and 3) my solo sound on the lead channel with both boosts activated. I'm substracting 1/10 points for the inability of the footswitch to turn on/off the bright boost on the clean channel, which for me is not comprehensible.

Personally I wish it had a phones-output jack, because the amp is too loud for playing at home, but that's just a minor problem, because I mainly bought it for the rehearsal room anyways. // 9

Sound: I'm playing this amp with my Ibanez S570DXQM (mahogany body, quilted maple top, rosewood fretboard, maple neck). The guitar and amp both suit each other very well. The amp produces very little hum, which is no problem with any noise gate. So far I'm using a Harley Benton NG.

If you look at the features, it becomes obvious that the Valve King is a very versatile amp. The clean channel has Fender-esque sound, while the lead-channel reminds me a little bit of Marshals high-gain amps. The besto of two world, in my opinion. The EQ-controlls a re very responsive and I could easily achieve the tone I wanted.

Seeing that I'm mainly a Metal player (HammerFall, Eluveitie, Dragonforce...) I mostly have the lows at around 4 o'clock, mids at 11 o'clock and highs at 4 o'clock. I mostly played it in my own bedroom so far, but have played it a couple of times in a rehearsal room. With its 50W full tube power it has no problems keeping up wiht the rest of the band and delivering a cutting, punchy sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I have used his amp in my bedroom and a couple of months in my rehearsal room. To be honest, I find it difficult to comment on the amps durability because amps usually see less action than a guitar. You set it up, leave it in the backgroudn and that's it. Most of the amp consists of wood and some plastic, but im makes an overall solid impression. The carrying-strap on top of the amp seems to be a little too weak to securely carry the amps 20kg, but so far it holds out well. The fronboard on which the eq dials are set is all made of plastic and seems a little cheap. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I mostly play metal with this amp and I can't compain about its sound. As already stated, due to the resonance switch and the texture controll, the amp is very versatile and thus works for other styles of music well, too. I've been playing it for almost two years now and haven't had any problems with it so far. A noise-gate is a must have, but that probably counts for all high-gain amps, so no problem for me here.

I'd recommend this amp for anyone who wants to play metal and wishes for a very versatile amp anytime. A stated before, the construction seems a little bit cheap, but the price has to come from somewhere. And for 419€ (ca.576USD) I still got a full tube amp which I really love to play. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014