Valve King Head Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 10/05/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Valve King Head
It features a patent-pending, variable Class A/B control called Texture, allowing sweepable selection between Class A and Class B power structures, as well as any combination of the two. With this exclusive feature, guitarists can coax a wide range of tones from this amplifier.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 7.5
 8.3
 8.5
reviews (15) pictures (1) 94 comments vote for this gear:
Valve King Head Reviewed by: In-f3st, on january 16, 2009

Purchased from: Audio Pro

Features: 100W tube head made in China, 2006 with four 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes. The great thing about it is the warm sound that ranges from a simple and deep clean channel, to a heavy, dirty and abusive lead channel. It actually has three channels, but unfortunately the third channel is only available if you have the footswitch which is not included. There are 2 inputs (for active and passive pickups) and the usual effects input/output. The clean channel has a bright button that punches the high tones out more. The lead channel has a volume boost and a gain boost button. Both come in handy, but only if you have the footswitch... The amp also features a damping panel that applies to all channels, consisting of a presence and a resonance knob. Of course there is also a master reverb knob. Dual paralleled speaker jacks on the back with a adjustable 4/8/12 Ohm Switch. The big plus on this is amp is the advertised texture knob in the back that is suppose to change the color of the tone on all channels. I'll get to that in the second part. 100W head is more than enough, I successfully played the last few gigs with it not crossing the master volume over 6. What I really miss is a line out and a headphone jack. These things come in handy on every amp and a included footswitch would have been nice too. // 6

Sound: I mostly use it for a heavy, low distorted sound (check out the clips featured on my profile). Active EMG81 pickups, tuned to Drop-B with 58-11 gauge strings. You can get a Killswitch Engage/Machine Head sound with it, but I would strongly recommend buying a Tubescreamer to get the most out of this amp. The tone varies and can be used for any genre resembling the sound pretty accurately (in the tube sound range). I use the Texture knob set on fully to class B modulation. The clean channel has a great warm and "bassy" sound but can also be industrial like using the bright button and turn the texture knob to A. Even at great loudness it still has the same clarity and warmth that is produced at low volume levels. The distortion is pretty high, although I rarly go over 8 on the gain knob. I use the following settings to get a full and rich tone sound good for recording and Live performances: Gain-6 Bass-10 Middle-4 Treble-8, 5 Presence-6 Resonance-3 Texture-Full B This is an extremely loud 100W head, that can be more than enough for Live performances in mid-large venues. Especially if connected to 2 stereo cabinets on both sides. To make it short, it has a great clean channel and a good lead channel for it's price range, more than enough. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use this amp regularly without backup. I haven't had any problems with it yet. The tubes warm up pretty fast and the knobs are firm and durable. The material is "neat" and resistant to impact, although I would recommend handling it with a angry pimp syndrome. // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a metal/hardcore band and it suits our style pretty much. In this price range the Peavey Valveking surely takes the first place. I am playing in this band for 5 years now and am playing guitar for over 8 years now. If you really want the new metal sound I would suggest you go with the Engl Powerball series, but you will pay almost 3 times the price of the Valveking, so make sure you think about it for a while and try both out on your own. I really like the texture knob, cause you can create a large spectrum of sounds with it, but the lack of some essential features makes me thing twice about it. The footswitch should be included in the package, but hell you can't have it all. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: Kayfan, on october 04, 2007

Features: The Peavey Valve King I purchased was built in 2005. The Valve King is a very versatile amp for the price but it is mainly suited to hard rock, metal, and even blues; I play a lot of rock and blues with some metal thrown in occasionally. The amp has two foot-switchable channels clean and gain, there is a foot switch which is sold separately. There is a grounded effects loop on the front of the amp as well. It has a master reverb control and a "texture" control knob which sweeps the amp tone from class a/b to class a. I wish that this amp had a switchable effects loop but for the price it's hard to complain. I use this amp for practicing, and jamming but I know for a fact that it would be loud enough to gig with at 100 Watts fully cranked ears will bleed. It contains four 6L6GC power amp tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. // 7

Sound: I am using this with a Fender Cyclone II with Jb. Jr.s in the bridge position for rhythm. It suits my style (rock, metal, and blues) very well. It's fairly quiet compared to a few other tube amps that I have tried, but I haven't moved it around too much so I can't be sure. This amp can make a large variety of sounds with the texture control at high volumes the clean channel can become a little distorted, but under normal circumstances, a person will never notice. When in high gain mode the distortion is perfect for heavy metal the tone is fairly reminiscent of a 5150II but it lacks a lot of clarity in comparison. This amp will not do a scooped tone, the mids are way too high for that but it can produce a very unique tone when properly harnessed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although I haven't gigged before I have been to numerous concerts and I know it would hold up to the abuse. This amp hasn't broken down even after hours upon hours of use. I'm a "budget" guitarist so I've never been inclined to fully test the reliability of my gear but I believe that this amp would survive a small drop unlike some other amps which would just shatter. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned before I play mostly rock and this amp matches my style perfectly. I have been playing for ~5 years now and even though I don't own a lot of my own gear I constantly try new gear out at the music shop down the street. If it were lost I would buy something a bit smaller and maybe a bit more refined like an Orange Tiny Terror. I love the texture sweep ability it's like having two amps in one, however I do not like the fact that there is no master volume and the lack of a switchable effects loop. I compared every modern Peavey/Mesa/Fender/Orange amp available and finally settled on this one due to the awesome price and the sweep feature. As I mentioned before I wish it had a switchable effects loop and a master volume. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2006

Features: This is a nice head for the most part. It has a cool feature called "Texture." It's fun to mess with, and you can get a lot of different tones out of it. The amp has a good amount of gain, but nothing like the 5150. It has separate EQ's for both channels. It also comes with a footswitchable volume boost on the lead channel. It's nice to have, but it has a delay going into it. That is probably the only thing I don't really like about it. // 8

Sound: I have played a few different guitars through it, including a Gibson Les Paul Classic, and a Gibson SG Special. I play in a Velvet Revolver-ish sounding band, with some heavy stuff and some lighter stuff. The clean channel is better than the 5150's, but I don't really like the distorted as much. Although, it is hard to find anything that sounds better than the 5150's distortion channel. It has very weak tubes in it, so you may want to replace them. It does get better sounding as you play it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: it is pretty reliable, nothing has broken on it so far. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits my style of music for the most part, I just don't like the distortion channel as much. I have many other guitars and amps and this is definately a good sounding amp. I just wish it didn't have a delay on the volume boost, it is very annoying. I played this for awhile, and then I plugged back into the 5150, and realised how much I miss it. I think it is a very nice amp just doesn't beat the 5150. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: thickhead, on january 31, 2008

Features: I'm glad I did my research. This amp is one of the best sounding amps I've played thru Marshall, Crate, Line 6 etc. I play mostly hard rock / metal and this amp's tube distortion has enough bite and then some. During practice, I never turn it up past 4 or it's too loud to hear anyone else. The amp has 2 channels, a distortion boost and a lead boost(though not loud enough for me). 3 band EQ for each channel, a master reverb knob and effects loop. I still have the original tubes shipped with the amp head so I can't say how it'll sound once I change out the tubes and put in some "matched" Groove Tubes, Svetlanas, or Electro-Harmonix high end tubes // 8

Sound: I'm using a BC Rich Warlock with '85 EMG's, all kinds of foot pedals, and a BBE Sonic Stomp in the effects loop. Sweet tone, fat low end, snarling distortion bite(even with the factory tubes). I leave the settings on Class A power and have both dampening and presences sent at 7 o'clock for a tight, punchy sound. I like how you have so much control over the sound you get with A or B power class, 3 EQ knobs, presence and dampening, distortion and lead boosts plus an effects loop to insert post pre-amp / pre power amp. My band covers a lot of different types of songs from Black Sabbath and ZZ Top to Tenacious D and Doors Down and this amp delivers on all the sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problem with it. Just have to be careful of moving the amp head around 'cause of the glass tubes. I've played a few gigs with it and even outside by the pool and never had any problem with it. Some amps sounds fluctuates when you use them outside. I'd use it without a backup but I don't recommend ever having just 1 amp head. Something's bound to happen sometime. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp kick ass! For either rock, metal, blues, or any style. It has the power to keep up with anyone. If it was stolen, I'd punch people until I got 2 of them. The only thing I would add to it is maybe some drink holders and a bottle opener on the side. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: metal_church101, on march 26, 2008

Features: I bought this amp in Sept 2007. I assume it is made in 2007. Came with Ruby 6L6 power tubes, 2 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 preamp tubes, and a JJ 12AX7 preamp tube. I was looking for a 3 channel amp for thrash/speed/death metal and I found it, plus at a killer price. I give this category an 8. I wish it had a separate EQ for the lead channel, but that is one of the reasons why it only costs $520 (because it is a basic tube head). Also, no amp is every perfect. // 8

Sound: I play thrash/speed/death metal and also for change ups, jump into some classic rock and blues. This amp handles it like a champ. No delay what so ever on changing channels, not noisy at all. Any tube amp will have a clean channel that distorts at high volumes, or you have no gain what so ever on your pickups. Distortion on this thing with the stock pickups are nice and mean. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It cut out on me once and I had to have it shopped, but I think that was my fault. I have a hard shell amp case for it, and I was putting it in the back of a truck (lifting the whole thing over my head) when I twisted my ankle and the amp came tumbling down on me. A few months later, a soldered connection came lose, so I think that was what caused it. Other than that, no complaints. // 10

Overall Impression: I originally was looking to by out a B52 tube amp, but they were out of my price range, so I tried this one out. I couldn't turn it up too loud at Guitar Center, plus I was playing through a different cab (don't remember which one) and a stock guitar they had on the wall (don't remember wich one). It sounded ok, but I knew I had to crank the volume of this through my 5150 cab at my band room with my guitars to get taste of what this amp sounded like with the stock tubes. So, I made sure that I could return the amp if I didn't like it and took it to practice with me. Stock tubes, this amp was very impressive. My other guitarist Who plays through a JCM2000 TSL head liked the sound of this guy better than his own (not sure of the tubes in his head, but he only has a stock Ibanez). I have since put the DiMarzio X2N 7 string pickup in my bridge (replacing the blaze bridge) and have re-tubed the amp with JJ 6L6 power tubes and Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes. This thing sounds very very mean now. On the rhythm/crunch channel, I have all the gain I need, and the lead gives me the solo boost I need. Over the years, I have learned a lot (and am still learning) about amps, tubes, guitars, electronics, pickups, as well as technique. For the price, this amp should get a 12. I play semi-professionally, and have let other bands I share the stage with play through my rig with no complaints at all. In fact no one believes that it's a VK plugged into a 5150 cab. I ripped off all my logos to deceive the gear snobs out there. With any tube amp, the tubes are one of the biggest keys in the sound. For a budget upgrade, try changing out the V1 and V2 preamp tubes with different ones. Try better cables and less stomp boxes in the mix. The more stomp boxes you have, the less and less it matters what kind of amp you are plugging it into because the amps true tone will Shine less and less. If this amp were stolen, I am not sure if I would replace it. I know I would definitely consider it. Over the years, I've owned 5150 heads, JSX as well as a Carvin Master Tube series. I've also upgraded my guitar electonics and my technique has improved. I am pretty happy with this setup, but if you are ever truly happy as a musician, it's all over. I am a working musician, and don't have much money to spare, but if money was not an issue, I would try every single amp I could find and muck around with the tubes and what not. Since money is an issue, this will due just fine for now. This thing is killer for $520. // 10

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2006

Features: Well, I bought this amp because I needed a tube amp for band practice, because my Marshall hybrid just wasn't cutting it, and this is a great amp, no doubt, but like the other guy that reviewed it, I have a delay on the channel switch too. On the clean channel, there's a bright feature that cleans up the tone a good bit, and then on the lead channel, there's a gain and volume boost, but they're really kinda useless, because without them both on, you don't get the same kick in the distortion that you really want. There's also an FX loops, but I've never had reason to use it, so I must leave that out. Also, the cab that I got with it, is supposed to have a stereo/mono switch, but I guess someone lied, because I can't find it. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with standard pickups, and this amp really suits all the styles I play. The clean channel is really good, till you get a little high, then it gets somewhat, too bassy sounding, and the lead channel, well, you really need a noise gate, 'cause the feedback is rediculous, even at low volume. I haven't really messed around with the tones, too awfully much, but there seems to be a good variety, and the distortion, isn't half bad if you have both boosts on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any breakdowns or anything, but, no one's perfect, so you only get a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal mostly, and some classic rock, and a few others, and the amp really suits well. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I had a Marshall VS100 and G50R CD before this, and I tell you, this thing rips the others to pieces. If this were stolen, well, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else, but I would murder the thing that took it. I love the volume and the lead channel, but I hate the delay in switches. And I wish it had a built in noise gate, but, let's not ask for the world I guess. // 9

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Features: Made in 2006 this is only 7 months old. 2 channel 100 watt all valve head. Effects loop. It's got the texture knob on the back which can get some pretty good tones (but why the back, not helpful). I play metal, classic rock, funk, jazz and death metal. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez S470 2007 model with a Seymour Duncan invader bridge pickup for my main styles of play. (Metal, Rock) The valveking is fairly good alround. The tones are very very very good in comparison to a Marshall DSL/TSL for metal. The clean channel tends to distort a little at higher volumes with the bright switch on but sounds pretty rubbish and lifeless without it. With it on at high volumes it too bright. The channel changing has never been a problem, no delays or annoying clicks. The Lead channel has more than enough gain which is great but the gain is very cheap sounding until you get it cranked up to about 4 or 5 on the volume. The lead channel has a gain boost and a volume boost but without the gain boost the distortion sounds dull and lifeless like the clean sound so it's fairly useless for solo's unless you buy an EQ pedal of some sort. The sound is fairly decent on the Lead channel but it's kind of one sound only with a little variation but if your playing metal or progressive rock it's pretty good. The low gain input is a godsend if your playing classic rock but what use if your playing gigs and want a low gain rhythm and high gain screams! I replaced the Electro harmonic pre-amp AX7's wih Mesa's own 12AX7's and this amp exploded with passion as well as agression. I'd recommend it to anyone. Overall this amp is definitely for the average Metal head Who can't afford a Mesa and dislikes the lack of low end in Marshalls. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a very reliable amp No Doubt. I've had one fuse blow on me of which the problem was never discovered. I can assume it was the texture settings which I had stupidly high at low volumes because I forgot it was there, because it's quite oddly on the back! This amp cuts through Live and if your not careful will out-do your rhythm player unless he has the JSX, 5150 or a Dual Rectifier. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp definitely matches my style of music and is far better than any Line 6 or Marshall of equal price and higher! I've been playing for about 5 years now and I'm not changing amp until I can afford a Dual Rectifier. I own a Line 6 SpiderII HD75 which is a fly on the wall in comparison. I did have a Mesa Boogie V-1 bottle rocket but after I re-valved the VK with mesa valves that went straight on ebay. If this were stolen honestly I'd lie and say it was a Mesa. I wouldn't buy anotherone unless I was touring and needed a Backstage practice amp. Before buying I compared this to the Marshall DSL50, TSL60 and then this all in a row and this mopped the floor with both. To improve this amp it could do with scrapping the gain boost and having the channel as it is when on, call that a rhtyhm channel then add a third channel call that the Lead channel and give them all a better distortion box. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2007

Features: Well, this Valveking head have two channel. More like 3 with the clean. low distortion and high distorton. This is very versatile amp. I play anywhere from jazz to full metal. It does what I want it to do. come with buffered effect loop, master reverb. Texture knobs on the back that can give you the choice of playing class A or class A/B or in anywhere in between class tubes power. I'm in heaven! And presence and resonance knobs on the front, my new best friends! EQ on each channel, 1 master volume for both channel. This is 100 watts full tubes power loud amp. Be warned. I love this thing. I used to play a Crate 50 watts tube head A class. So I got rid and got me a Peavey and matching cab. must have it! I used this amps for practice and at home(don't turn your volume up! Little animals may die around your house) to make new songs. At practice I set the volume on 3 1/2 or 4. More the than the drummer will get blood on his hand from trying to out loud me. It took me almost 2 month to get this. Dues to doing reserach of the amp. like what kind of tubes, the cab specification and so on. I played this things like 4 time before I bought. There is a thing that when you play a amps the next day for some reasons sound different, have any of you have this experience? Then mess with your setting again tring to make it sound like the last time. I'm plannin of getting 2 more in the future to set them up different tones on each. for anyone that have question of picks tone, ideas on how to set amp differently. guitar string secrets and pickup type let me know. I will respond A.S.A.P. If I have the answers to it. // 10

Sound: I used a Fender strat highly modified, with scalloped neck my own specific depth, HS-3 pickup with specific height, sperzel locking tuner, and special ordered Fender bullet strings 2 set in one. I used this guitar for jazzy vibe to latin and rock and metal. I play many variaty of style of music. This Valvekings does what I want to do any sound and tone I want. I don't used much of effect. just tuner, noise gate for the wah and a delay for a violin effect. This amps is not noisy at all, just don't stand to close to it with your guitar and you will get a high feedback noise. plus hearing lost! I set my amps Eq to give me a woody sound, don't like to hide my note. Good for lead and rhythm, and the reverb baraly pass 1. I used 2 different type of picks for different songs attacks.Picks can also change your tone. The distortion on this amps is not the brutal death metal, but scoop the mid down and Viola. you got it. Close unless you want to add more distortion that note can be just scratch in the head, then get a death metal pedal or so. The cleans of my! This is the clean of clean I set the volume like 8 or 10 and control it from my guitar knobs and what a delight! It always stay clean. For the distortion I set my on full give me the metal tone I want. good enough, for me, I got control of this thing. hate when the amps control you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can sleep at night. I know it will never let me down. I will you this with no back up. but always be ready for anything. Never been broken even I thought I got the extended warranty. I'm should be fine for a while. I love This thing period. this is very strong build. Take care of it though. and I'm sure it will last me forever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anywhere from latin to jazzy vibe to metal. I have been playing for 18 years. Is this were stolen, I will find that suckers Who stole my amps and plug my guitar cable wire where the sun don't Shine and make him/her hits those high guitar notes. // 10

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I bought this amp about 4 months ago and have played at least 30 shows with it. After I bought it, I noticed it did not come with a footswitch. Since the salesman didn't tell me, he went in the back and brought out a free peavy footswitch that looked like 20 years old, but it still works. I did notice a small delay when switching channels but I will assume that's the old footswitch a talkin, even though I have read a couple reviews saying the same with the new switches. I reccomend testing the Switch timing before you buy. Even still, I adapted to the small delay and now I don't notice it. I just hit the switch a little earlier than I would have on my old Marshall. 2 channels, and a lead for soloing (I think this feature is great I use it every song). No footswitch (35 bucks extra). 3 12ax7 power tubes. 4 6L6s tubes (my stock tubes were Ruby brand, which gets great reviews). 2 parallell speaker outs (I've set this amp up to two 4x12 cabinets at once and it was gloriously loud). // 8

Sound: I have a Gibson Epiphone Plus with OBL pickups(awesome), yes OBL, yes, awesome. I play a lot of ska/punk which means I go from clean to distorted like 10-20 times a song. I also play progressive, metal, ambient, jazz, raggae, and folk, so I need something versitle like this amp. I love this amp. I get comments everytime I play about my tone. I also play in a band with 8 other musicians and this amp sits my guitar on that perfect plain. The clean is great. It is sooo loud too, so loud that you can put it(the clean) on 6 or 7 and get a sweet tube distortion without using gain. It has a Fenderish sound that gets better as the tubes break in. I have a Fender telecaster with a Gibson 57 pickup that I use for backup and this thing turns it into a monster. The distortion is sweet although I have to max out the bass to get the low end I desire (I do that with every amp though). The presence and resonence knobs although very versitle and make many different sounds, (nice for tube amps) I find maxing them out sounds the best. Not to mention the knob on the back for managing how much power your power tubes send to the amp can change your sound and help in practice situations when you can't be too loud. Oh yeah, did I mention how inespensive this amp is? They could get away with a pricetag way bigger than this but they choose to help starving musicians like me Who don't have mommydaddy money to spend 2000 bucks on a guitar string. // 9

Reliability & Durability: At least 30 gigs later, this thing is my baby now. Not that many people have them yet, but I have a feeling you will start seeing a lot of these at your local medium sized venues because of thier price and good word of mouth. I also do not have a road casing for it but the outside is very durable and still has no imperfections. Back up amp? Man that's a great idea for anyone with any amp that plays 10-20 times a month, but if you are a once a month kinda person this thing will last you forever. I would give it a ten but I will wait another year or so to really see. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great match for all genres. I even plugged my non-active acoustic guitar pickup into it and it sounds just fine! I have been playing guitar for 7 years and a musician for 15 years. If it were lost or stolen I would try something new, but not because I don't like the amp, I just like new things right? Silly question. If your price range is under 1000 bucks for a Brand New tube amp I completley reccomend it above any solid state or hybrid. Actually, there isnt much of a choice in tube amps under 1000, so this would be the one to get. // 9

Valve King Head Reviewed by: easynow7, on may 02, 2008

Features: I could not afford the nice Marshall I wanted so I settled for the inexpensive valveking 1/2 stack. Thought it sounded great in the store. Got home and noticed a lot of noise; hummimg, and a bad squeal at higher volumes and gain. What good is all the volume and gain when you can't use it. I paid little in cash for this amp but I paid big time in embarrasment from noise, hum and squeal, and all at expense to the band. I may as well just have a crying baby on stage with us with a Mic in his hand. I can no longer gig with this amp and I'm out $800. I tried to get warranty repair work done on it and when they opened it found nuts and bolts not tightened, nuts without washers, and paint on some of the silicone boards, but they could not find the soarse of the squeal. I had the option to have it modified with different amplifires, tubes, channels, etc... but by the time I'm done It will cost me a Marshall so I pushed it in the corner and put a flower pot on it in the studio. Be carefull! You DO get what you pay for. // 1

Sound: VERY VERY NOISY!!! Squeals and hums at higher volumes. Low volums sound just fine. It's got a good crunch at low volumes. The clean channel is fine untill you add volume. It becomes ver bassy. The destortion is very satisfactory you just can't turn it up loud or add gain. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Tried it in a gig and I doubt we will be invited back. Couldn't play one song with the squeal present. Got lots of concerned looks from my band members. never had any thing actually break on it. I never dropped it or anything. I think the durability is OK. // 1

Overall Impression: I like rock, 33 years playing experience, and I am very dissapointed with this amp. I wish I could say different. I would never buy another one of these. I would like to say there is something good I like about, I can't accept it does elevate my indoor palm try nicely. // 1

Valve King Head Reviewed by: Devilsguitarist, on june 28, 2008

Purchased from: Jim's Music

Features: What I would call an entry-level all-tube halfstack, the Peavey Valveking does impress overall. I purchased the Head, which is 100 watts, and the 4x12 slant cab to go along with it. This amp features two seperate channels, each with its own EQ, volume knobs and special buttons for each channel. First you have the clean channel, which has the basic high, mid and low, along with a "bright" button that boosts the high frequencies when pushed in, does nothing when pushed out. Then on the distortion channel, you've got the high, mid and low knobs, a volume knob, and a gain knob. The distortion channel has two buttons: a gain boost and a volume boost. When the gain boost isn't pushed it, turning the gain up sounds like a soft classic rock tone, and with low gain a nice blues tone (nothing like a TubeScreamer, but still decent). With the gain boost button in, turning the gain up you get a sharp, high gain metal tone, and turning it down you get a hard rock sound. Then on the amp you've got a master reverb knob, and in/out effects loop, presence and resonance. Presence may sound familiar (the way Peavey put its, it controls how "present" or "in front" the high tones are, and Resonance does that same for the bass, making the low end of the tone looser or tighter. Then on the back of the amp, there's an A-A/b texture control knob, that through regulating the tubes, makes your sound have a real punch or makes it a little softer. This amp has enough control over the sound that you'll be fiddling with it for a long time to come. It's also 100% tube, with two inputs (one input is high gain, one input is low gain input, and when you have guitars going in through both, they both become low gain inputs). The amp is definetly very loud and clear, being a tube amp, but when jamming in my room at high volumes, I've never turned it past 2. I wish this amp had a recording out for easy recording rather than having to mic it. // 9

Sound: When I use it through my American '60s Fender I get beautiful cleans when I'm on the neck pickup with a little bit of reverb, and the highs and mids up. In my band we play songs from RHCP and our original songs have a hard rock edge to them, which this amp is very god for, although it does take a little bit of time to find good settings with the vast amount of controls, it is worth it in the long run. With the clean channels and the distorted channels, they stay pretty stable at high outdoor gigging volumes (when not mic'd up). The bass does seem to show up a lot stronger at high volumes though, as I'm pretty sure most amps do. The distortion is brutal but not as brutal as I would like, but I'm used to the Metal distortion on my ME-50. Overall a great sounding amp with a little bit of fiddling, and again be patient with it. There are a lot of different knobs and controls and you will find the sound that suits you after a couple jam sessions. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a rock in hard casing, and so far, after about 7 gigs and weekly practice (at practice the volume only goes to about 3) and it has held up very great, with only minor dings on the side front putting it in and out of my trunk. A feature that is very useful and convienent is that both versions of the cab ship with wheels already installed. It's very satisfying rolling your own amp and seeing other band picking up their amps and cabs, nearly breaking their backs. // 10

Overall Impression: When choosing an amp for gigging, indoors and outdoors, I first looked at the Marshall MG series, which I learned to be not very good, then I tried out a Mesa-Boogie Triple Rectifier, which blew me away but very pricy, and right in between was the Peavey Valveking a friend of mine recommended, and the amp is perfect. This amp screams when you find a good distortion and has beautiful girl-seducing cleans. I would definetly save up money to buy this if I lost it, as it is the most versatile/reliable All-tube halfstack in it's price range. Using this with my ME-50, a Homebrew wah pedal and a Fender American '60s Strat, I have a hell of a time jamming. This amp was the best amp I could find with a great price and more bang for my buck. I can't say anything more than go try it out. It all comes down to what sounds best to you. Good luck finding an amp. // 9

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2010

Features: The Peavey Valveking is a great tube amp for the price you are paying.I bought it in late 2009 so I presume it is a 2009 model. This is amp is very versatile although can take time finding a setting to suit you. I play anything from Pop-Punk to Metalcore. Many people say this amp can not pull off metal but if you actually take time on the amop to find a setting which suits you, I can guarantee you will get the setting you need. This is a 2 channel amp with Clean + Lead. The clean you can get a nice warm tone and the lead is just great. Low Distortion to high. It can do it for you. It has a texture feature on the back of the amp for changing the tone which comes in great handy as you can get a very varied range of sounds. I use this amp at home for practicing and also at live shows. It is extremely loud, when at home I can only crank it up to like 1 which is unfortunate as the louder it goes the more tone comes out. // 9

Sound: I use a Ibanez S520EX with this amp head and it just produces a great sound and tone. I usually play a Post-Hardcore style of music and I can achieve this greatly with the head. As stated above I can't crank it above one unless at gigs when it sounds really good or when I'm alone at home when I can get loud :) The amp is one of the most versatile amps I have played but unlike many Versatile amps it can actually make all styles played have a good tone. If you plan tto play death metal or anything extreme , I Recommend a tube screamer to boost the distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far this amp has had no problems as I got it at Christmas time so I cannot comment on these things but it appears to be very Reliable and durable as Peavey are known for very strong gear. I would use this head without a backup as I trust the reliability of it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think the Peavey Valveking Head is a great Tube amp for anyone looking for a decently priced piece of equipment as it is extremely verstaile and opens up a Brand New range of tone with the texture knob on the back. If someone stole this I would most likely buy a new one as it is a very good price and can be compared with amps such as Marshall JCM's which are highly priced. I recommend to anyone who is looking for a good tube amp to go out and buy this. Thanks, Craig x // 9

Valve King Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2010

Purchased from: Moeller Music

Features: This amp was made in I believe around 2005-2006 area, this amp is INCREDIBLY versatile, it can really do it all, this is coming from me, who plays rock, blues and metal, and my dad who plays funk, R&B, jazz. 2 channels I believe. It doesn't have a headphone jack, which would be nice, but you can make this amp so quiet you don't really need one any way, and about the only thing I really wish it had was a master volume, it does have a master reverb though. This amp isn't loaded with tons of crazy effects, which is fine with me, because in place of those, it has a whooollle slew of knobs for changing your tone, like a SICK texture knob on the back, it has presence, resonance, and all sorts of things, also on the clean channel there's a bright switch which really makes it feels almost like a 3rd channel, this amp is perfect for tone freaks. I use it at band practice mostly in our drummers basement, and I haven't ever turned it up past 2, so yeah it's definitely powerful enough for that, I'm sure it would gig fine as well. The tubes that come with it are kinda weak, but eh. Also I guess I may just be the exception to the rule but I read a lot of people's didn't come with a footswitch, well, mine did, works great too, no delay in the switch at all. // 9

Sound: I use 3 different guitar with this particular amp, I use an Ibanez ART-300 with Ibanez's signature Lo-Z bridge and neck pick ups, a 1985 Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan blackouts, and a les paul standard, all 3 guitars sound pretty awesome through this amp. This amp suits my style because of how versatile it is and all the different ways I can change my tone from when I play metal, to rock, and even blues. Like I said I've never even turned this amp up past 2 so I can't really say if it's noisy or not, but I never hear any static out of it. Like I said, my dad and I both think this amp is pretty sick and he plays funk, R&B, and jazz, and I play blues, rock and metal, that should give you an idea on how much different sounds and tones you can get out of this baby. On my ART-300 it gets a little dirty on the clean channel but that's mostly just the pick ups, so I just pick a little lighter and that solves that problem, however, the clean channel sounded awesome on my fathers 59 Strat, and on my les paul. And I also read from a lot of people that this guitar can't do metal distortion, I have my gain at about 3 o'clock and it's brual enough for us to cover Static-X, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, and dethklok idk, maybe it's because I'm using guitars made for that =D, but in my opinion there is PLEEEENTY of distortion packed in this baby. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never let me down before, if I didn't have another amp with me, I wouldn't sweat this being my only one, and this thing is built like a tank so I doubt it would ever break down on me because of neglect (not that I neglect my equipment, my girlfriend claims I take better care of my gear than I take care of her! Haha). // 10

Overall Impression: This amp was perfect for me, once again I play mostly metal and obviously the distortion isn't as brutal as a 5150, but I personally think this amp is the best sounding tube amp in it's price range, I paid 550 for the valveking head and 412 slanted cab. I've been playing for a few years now, I own a Roland cube-60, and a Peavey Vypyr 30, and I shouldn't have to say this but the valveking would blow those amps right off the stage. I knew everything about this amp before I bought it so no unasked questions really. If it were ever stolen first of all I'd knock the crap out of the guy so hard his own mama wouldn't recognize him, second of all, if he were able to get rid of it before I found him, after going through like 7 boxes of tissues grieving over my loss I would definitely buy this amp again, not a doubt in my mind. I just love the fact that it's not loaded with a quadrillion effects but loaded with several different knobs for tone variation. Only thing I don't really like about the amp is that the head feels like it weighs more than my car haha. My favorite feature is definitely the texture knob on the back of the head. I tried out the Peavey windsor half stack, the 5150, the Fender FM100 half stack, and the Marshall MG100 half stack, and not only was this half stack the cheapest, but other than the 5150, it sounded the best for what I do. Only thing I can think of I wish it had was a master volume, and maayyyybe a headphone jack, but that would just to be to say I have one, I'd probably never use it. // 10

Valve King Head Reviewed by: exxx, on may 24, 2011

Features: The Valve King is a pretty straight forward Amp with no onboard effects. That's a preference of mine, as the more digital you get the more things tend to glitch and screw up. It's a 2 channel Amp, but the Gain Boost acts as a 3rd channel for metal distortion and leads. I use the presence & resonance controls alot for shaping my tone. Which I believe are a must on any Amp to control range on those frequencies. Also, the texture feature is one of the main reasons I bought this Amp. I have a 4x12 Cabinet with Eminence Governor's & Man O Wars. At (AB) the tone shifts to the Man O Wars for Modern Metal bass Punching sounds. And at (A) it shifts it's Mid Range focus to the Governors, for that 80's Metal & Classic Rock tone. The pick response is alot more sensitive in this mode as well. // 7

Sound: I play all styles of music, with varying Pickups and the Amp handles them well. Most people will have issue with the initial harshness of the Amp, especially with new unbroken Speakers. I did too. But you have to really crank this Amp gradually to Stage levels to heat those Tubes and free the Speakers, and eventually the sound will smoothen out. The Amp has alot of headroom in the Treble range so you have to EQ it accordingly. When playing clean, I also keep the Bass control all the way down, as it tends to hit hard making chords over dramatic. I've always liked Peavey Amps because of their solid woody tone and power! A bit different from Marshall Amps. I think because of the tubes. Still, I can get AC/DC, Lenny Kravitz, Hendrix, Van Halen and more out of this thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty solid. Never had a problem yet. If Peavey Amps was a person they'd most likely be John McClane ("Die Hard"). My first Amp was a 158 Blazer. It's been to hell and Back, and still work's fine. If a combo Amp that's been sat on, knocked over and dropped, can take it. Then a Head unit which sits on Cabinets the whole time could more than handle it. // 9

Overall Impression: It' a good Amp overall, but I'd change a few things. The main being the terrible Reverb, location of the Effects Loop & Texture Knob. I'd also trim some treble off and give the gain channel more juice for Metal and keep the Boost strictly as well, a boost. // 8

Valve King Head Reviewed by: JL_Shredder, on october 05, 2011

Purchased from: C.A. House Music

Features: I bought this amp in fall of 2010. In general, this amp is fairly versatile and features two channels (accessible via a footswitch or buttons on the control panel). It comes with on-board reverb, gain boost, volume boost, texture control (which allows you to blend class A and class A/B textures), presence and resonance controls, dual speaker cab outputs, individual 3 band EQ controls for the clean channel and the gain channel, 2 inputs (input 1 being slightly higher gain), and a bright switch (which adds a bit more treble to your tone). It is powered by 4 6L6GC power tubes and 3 12AX7 preamp tubes. Although you can get a variety of tones from this amp, there should really be a 3rd channel. You can switch from the clean channel to the lead channel easily, but there is no crunch or rhythm channel. This brings about the need for adjustments between songs which require a different gain levels. // 6

Sound: I am currently using this amplifier with my Kramer Striker 211 Custom. This guitar is fitted with a Seymour Duncan JB model Trembucker in the bridge position, a disconnected middle pickup, and a Seymour Duncan JB Junior in the neck position, and an original Floyd Rose with a brass block. This amplifier has a fairly wide range of tonal possibilities, but it was mainly created for rock and metal, and it shows. When used on its own, this amp is fairly quiet, even when the gain is on 11, and the gain and volume boosts are on. If an overdrive pedal is added, one must either buy a noise suppressor, or learn to be quick with the volume control on his or her guitar. The gain channel ranges from some nice, crunchy tones reminiscent of Deep Purple to the brutal tones reminiscent of bands such as Metallica, Pantera, Testament, and Megadeth, but it always has a lot of crunch to it. If you're looking for smoother gain or more fluid tones for soloing, you'd need to purchase a good overdrive or distortion pedal. After about 6 the lead channel does not get that much louder. At lower volumes, the clean channel sounds nice, warm and clean, and when the bright switch is engaged, it has a nice sparkle. As the volume is pushed past 7 it begins to get a little crunchy if you're not picking very softly. Overall, this am sounds pretty good, but it certainly doesn't have the gain of a Marshall or the clean channel of a Fender. However, it is certainly better than any solid state amplifier that I've come across. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amplifier is VERY solidly constructed, and can be depended upon for any gig (as long as the tubes are changed at least once a year). As a rule, I always bring my Marshall MG-Series head to gigs just in case, but so far, this amp hasn't yet broken down on me. I certainly baby my equipment, so I can't really tell you about its ability to take a beating, because it's never even been bumped into. Many people like to compare this amplifier to the Bugera 1990 head, but the Valveking certainly has better construction and will not catch on fire (unlike Bugeras). // 7

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, and this amp can match most of them pretty well. However, the lack of a crunch or rhythm channel really limits my ability to change tones quickly between songs. The Lead channel could use a bit more gain for my Neoclassical style of playing, but this can easily be achieved with a distortion pedal. The clean channel could certainly use a bit more clarity at the higher volumes, but it sounds good for most practices and small gigs. Having been playing guitar for nearly 16 years (since I was 4), I can say that this is probably the best amp that I've owned so far, but I'm certainly saving money for a better amp (perhaps a Marshall JVM). If I could go back in time to the day that I bought this amplifier, I would most likely have spent the extra $250 and bought a Carvin X100B instead. Of course, the good things about this amp certainly outweigh the bad. After comparing this head to a Line 6 Spider IV Head (a solid state modeling amp), the Valveking showed that it had much better tone which definitely made the extra few hundred dollars worth it. For those who play Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, etc. This amp is probably as far as you need to look to find your tone, but if you play some more tonally demanding styles and have the time to save more money, I'd go with a Carvin X100B, Marshall JVM or JCM, or Mesa Boogie for harder styles, or some kind of Fender amplifier for lighter styles. Overall, this amp is nice for harder styles of playing, and has a decent clean channel, but in a lot of ways, it is a one trick pony. // 6

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014