Valve King Royal 8 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 06/04/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Valve King Royal 8
Peavey proudly introduces the Valve King Royal 8, a true class A guitar amplifier designed to give players the punchy dynamics and tones that inspired rock 'n' roll's greatest riffs.
 8.5
 7.9
review (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Valve King Royal 8 Reviewed by: HeliuM, on june 04, 2007

Features: This is one of the newest Peavey amps, they began producing these in 2006, so I guess that's when mine was made. It's a small 5watt class A tube amp with an 8" speaker, it has one EL84 poweramp tube and one 12AX7 preamp tube. It has two inputs one is for instruments with low outputs (gets a 10dB boost) such as electric guitars. And a low gain input for instruments that already have high outputs (keyboards, etc) to prevent them from overdriving.It also has a gain knob (to control amount of OD), a tone know (no equalizer), a volume knob and a headphone jack, something you don't often see with tube amps. So it's not exactly packed with features. With the gain on max you get a nice tube OD but definately no metal levels. If it's on 4-6 you get a half-overdriven sound (perfect for bluesy stuff). Anything lower then that just gives you nice clean tones. I use it as a practice amp (it replaced my Cube 15). // 8

Sound: I use it together with a Squier Strat and my electro acoustic mandolin from phoenix no clue what model. I use it for blues and classic rock (zeppelin) and the occasional metal (with my Boss hyper metal HM3) the amp itself doesn't have enough gain for that. The amp itself doesn't produce to much noise, sadly the same thing can't be said from my guitar. If you keep the gain down you can max out your volume and still play almost distortion free. The distortion isn't very brutal but just your classic tube OD sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I guess this thing is quite reliable, but I've only had it for about a month. I don't think this is really suitable for gigs because it isn't powerfull enough, maybe for really small ones (like in our school cafetaria) where there'd only be like 100 people. I wouldn't bother with a backup since this thing doesn't look like it'll break down anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 1.5 years and I'm glad I made the Switch to tube from SS even though I sacrificed some features. I bought this over the Epiphone valve jr, this just had a bit more features and simply sounded better. If it were stolen I'd probably hang the thief and buy a new one. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014